Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm meeting my boyfriend's family for the first time this weekend!

I'm so nervous I don't know what to do. I'm meeting them for New Year's Eve dinner and then spending New Year's with them. How should I behave? Should I tell funny stories? Will they except me? Should I give them money? What should I do? I think I'm going to puke.

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2013

What religion are you? I had my New Years a month ago.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2013

Chinese New Year is this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2013

Surprise anal for everyone !!!

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2013

Lol r1

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2013

I'm sure you'll think of something,You have over 10 months to think of it!

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2013

Will they except you? From what?

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

February has 28 days except in leap year when it has 29.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

My cat's breath smells like cat food, R8.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

Assuming the family is Asian, my experience has been that their culture respects education & looks down on those who lack it. So no, OP, they won't accept you if they see your spelling.

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

Do a portion of Margaret Cho's act.

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

Pour salt on all the dishes when they are brought to the table. This will show your good taste and the family will know that you respect their traditions.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

They'll take an exception to you I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

But should I give them money? If so, how much? And should I give only to the parents or all the relatives?

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

Why do you have to give them money? Rather give the money to a hotel, and enjoy your stay there.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

Should you give them money? I'm not sure, that's an extremely sensitive topic.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

R16? It's part of the Chinese New Year tradition to hand out red envelopes or packets which contain money which is supposed to put down or suppress evil spirits.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

OP here's the usual protocol for the red packets:

Traditionally, red envelopes or red packets are passed out during the Chinese New Year's celebrations, from married couples or the elderly to unmarried juniors. It is also common for adults or young couples to give red packets to children.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

[quote] In addition to red envelopes, which are usually given from elder to younger, small gifts (usually of food or sweets) are also exchanged between friends or relatives (of different households) during Chinese New Year. Gifts are usually brought when visiting friends or relatives at their homes. Common gifts include fruits (typically oranges, and never pears), cakes, biscuits, chocolates, candies, or some other small gift.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

Oh, I see, R17, it's essentially a spiritual tradition.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

Oh great, now I have to bring gifts too? And food and sweets, fruits oranges, pears, cakes, biscuits, chocolates, and candies? Ugh, better hit Whole Foods after work today.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

Don't forget to pick up some extra special trinkets!

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

Relax, OP. You'll look like a "try hard" if you do all that. Just get a few of those small (4 piece) chocolate Godiva boxes to hand out to the kids. They even have a red ribbon--perfect. Over and done.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

No pears! Fruit must be round, symbolizing endless something-or-other -- oranges are best -- no ovoid shapes like lemons or nipped in middles like pears.

I agree with R23. Nice little chocolates for the kids, & maybe a pretty bag of clementines or mandarin oranges for the hosts.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

OP are you white?

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

Um, here's a bright idea, Einstein: why don't you ask your boyfriend what is customary, and what is expected of you as their son's boyfriend.

Are you impaired in some way?

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

I'm not going to go as far as saying he's impaired, he might just be extraordinarily slow today for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

Make sure your anus is sparkling clean

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

It is possible this is the OP first boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

It will be OK rice queen.

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

Well, this is quite educational. I had no idea. I think R18 & R19, R23 & R24 are correct. As far as your behavior,just smile, make brief comments, ask polite questions, and be a good listener.

You don't have to run around with a stupid grin plastered on your face every minute, but you can look pleasant, can't you. Shift the focus from you to them. And above all, be polite, and relax. You'll be fine.

One thing I've learned. It is always good to ask a question when you are unfamiliar with the culture. People appreciate that. Strike a balance between showing that you have made some effort to familiarize yourself about their traditions, but also feel comfortable enough to ask.

They will delight in helping you and explaining things. Most people are very proud of their culture and like to tell their stories. If they see a sincere effort on your part, they'll be very generous.

Now, it's possible you may encounter a stand offish, surly type, but always remember. Those people are like that even when you aren't around. It's not you, it's them. Just be polite to them and if they rebuff attempts at conversation, move on but don't completely ignore them. Just be polite & pleasant as you would to strangers.

So, candy, and maybe red envelopes for the kids, oranges or clementines for the grown ups, (maybe some cookies?) and be nice.

Have fun, OP. Really do.

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2013

OP, just stay home this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2013

Eat Long Noodles and ROUND oranges.

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2013

[quote]They will delight in helping you and explaining things. Most people are very proud of their culture and like to tell their stories. If they see a sincere effort on your part, they'll be very generous.

Make them tell stories? Are you serious? Like they speak English.

by Anonymousreply 3402/08/2013

Do not put anything in writing, OP. If they see that you don't know the difference between accept and except, they will except you.

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!