Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

American Idol 2013

Nikki "No Talent" Minaj thinks she's fucking Simon Cowell. She's not, not by a long shot. Mariah is sweet but she dresses like she's a size two. She's not, not by a long shot. Randy is Randy and I'm hiring a Sherpa to search for Keith Urban's personality, since it hasn't showed up yet.

I always root for the underdog. This year cutie Lazaro, who has had a tough life. Go Lazaro!

by Anonymousreply 60004/30/2013

Last night, Curtis was such an asshole, although he does have a soulful voice, but America won't vote for his gay ass. The quiet white guy hit a really nice vocal run at one point and Mariah's face was like "who was that?"

by Anonymousreply 102/07/2013

I thought Mariah is a great addition and she gave very specific feedback about the vocals.

Nicki commented on wigs.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2013

Sometimes I hate her and sometimes I like her....

but she always looks ridiculous.

She told peachy boy to step up his game and stop coasting. He didn't listen, so she called him on it and kicked him to the curb. That's fair.

By the way, the number 1 rule for American Idol should be.............

MAN UP, boys. Your worse than the girls!

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2013

Nicki Minaj is so fake.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2013

This has to be the first American Idol dominated by gay male singers.

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2013

Who would have guessed elderly DLers wouldn't like a young, outspoken black person?

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2013

r7 I like Nicki and posted about it earlier but I can get why people don't. It's not that she is young and black, if it were Rihanna or Beyonce at least we could get it because they are famous singers. I don't know any Nicki Minaj songs and couldn't name one if you put a gun to my head. I think that's what people don't like, as in who the fuck are you to judge a singing contest when nobody knows your songs?

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2013

Who the fuck still watches this show?

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2013

"This has to be the first American Idol dominated by gay male singers."

Bwahahahah! Has there ever been a season of this show that wasn't queened out like a Christmas tree full of parrots?

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2013

They should get rid of the girls, this should be for guys only.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2013

[quote]who the fuck are you to judge a singing contest when nobody knows your songs?

She's got four gold singles, four platinum singles and two singles that are four-times platinum each.

Clearly there are people who know her songs. Perhaps you are just too old and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2013

Thanks r12 but if you read my whole post I say that I LIKE her. I admit that I may be old and out of touch, my point was that I don't know her songs and am guessing that many others don't either. She may be a rising star right now but older people don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2013

Is Curtis the choir director?

If so, he's insufferable. I hope he gets hit with a severe case of laryngitis.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2013

Nicki is wack. Even the twentysomethings find her corny.

Those with taste that is.

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2013

Did that stuttering guy from the commercials get sent home yet?

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2013

[quote]I always root for the underdog. This year cutie Lazaro, who has had a tough life. Go Lazaro!

When did American Idol turn into "Queen for a Day"?

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2013

r16 nope, not yet. He has mad love from everyone and I don't get it. You have a fucking stutter, it's not like you are missing a lung. And his parents should have taken steps to figure out why he has a stutter and sent him to speech therapy. Speech therapy is free in elementary school, he could have knocked this shit out years ago. Of course his lazy ass parents don't even speak English despite the fact that they have lived here for 22 years.

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2013

[quote]MAN UP, boys. Your worse than the girls!

More proof that GAY = Mental Illness

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2013

Nicki is a performer.

She's not known for her voice.

Why is she here?

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2013

Nicki is the best Idol judge ever. She's even better than Simon who occasionally indulged in eye-rolling platitudes.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2013

The ratings are still in the shitter. They should just end the show after this season.

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2013

Were you crying as you typed that, r19?

by Anonymousreply 2402/21/2013

I still miss "the old" Simon on AI, not the cleaned up version on his new show.

by Anonymousreply 2502/21/2013

Agree R11

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2013

R22, I agree that Jennifer Lopez was vastly a better judge than Mariah Carey is.

Jennifer Lopez actually has a good vocabulary, has ideas, is articulate, well-spoken, has comments containing interesting ideas and substance, expressed pertinent important points, had an excellent way of summarizing performances, and is all-around more intelligent than Mariah Carey is.

Mariah Carey also has the very annoying, too frequent hand gesture of touching her hair and using her hand to sweep to the side her invisible hair and hair which is not out of place. It's a nervous gesture and very frequent - too difficult to watch.

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2013

I think Johnny is hot, and probably the only straight guy in the bunch. Nicki (and Mariah) commented on masculine he was...was she hinting on the other gays?

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2013

JDA should be performing with the girls.

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2013

[quote]Nicki is the best Idol judge ever. She's even better than Simon who occasionally indulged in eye-rolling platitudes.

I'm sorry, but Nicki is very fake and has no business judging.

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2013

[quote]I think Johnny is hot, and probably the only straight guy in the bunch. Nicki (and Mariah) commented on masculine he was...was she hinting on the other gays?

They were simply being the cunts they both are and hinting that gays aren't masculine. Just one more reason why nobody should watch this shitty show. Who gives a fuck who's masculine or feminine when the show's SUPPOSED to be about singing?

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2013

I don't know what you're all bitching about... AI has always been very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2013

[quote]They were simply being the cunts they both are and hinting that gays aren't masculine. Just one more reason why nobody should watch this shitty show. Who gives a fuck who's masculine or feminine when the show's SUPPOSED to be about singing?

Totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2013

The stuttering guy is so hot, I hope he wins it all! He certainly deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2013

Ryan said jandras just for the record

I want to see Bo and his jandras

I want to see Mandesa and her feets

I want to sanjaya and his hair

I want to see slobbering monkey

All that and Ryan's new hair

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2013

r35 Why does he deserve it? Because he has a speech impediment. I feel so bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2013

How many singers is Nicki Minaj obsessed with? She is so fake.

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2013

[quote]The stuttering guy is so hot, I hope he wins it all! He certainly deserves it.

My only problem with him is that he cries too much. The crying turns me off.

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2013

He deserves because he is hot!

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2013

R40 Shallow Much

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2013

Charlie sings like K.D. Lang. His version of Rocket Man was dreadful. The dancing was really bad.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2013

That black gospel queen would be an AI winner just as disastrous as Ruben Studdard.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4502/21/2013

America will send Curtis Finch home no matter how well that bitch sings. He absolutely reeks of arrogance and malice.

by Anonymousreply 4602/21/2013

Prior to her current stint on AI, I had only seen Nikki Minaj on the red carpet. I thought she was a lunatic and an idiot but it turns out that she's not. I quite like her on AI. I have no idea whether or not she can sing but she's amusing and mean/sweet.

It's also more of Mariah Carey than I have ever seen. She seems a little strange and not the sharpest tool in the shed but very sweet for a demented diva. I like her better than I thought I would.

Since Nicole Kidman clearly isn't using him, I'd like to fuck Keith Urban until he can't walk.

Randy is Randy and it's a good thing the producers didn't get rid of him. The other three need him to keep this trainwreck moving.

by Anonymousreply 4702/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4802/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4902/21/2013

Curtis needs to go home. The JDA queen thought for sure she was going through.

by Anonymousreply 5002/21/2013

Charlie should have gone home, instead of Johnny. WTF is wrong with these judges?

by Anonymousreply 5102/21/2013

Johnny Keystone also was shocked he was kicked off. He arrogantly was sure his looks were gonig to get him through. Ace Rockwood redux.

by Anonymousreply 5202/21/2013

Of course Johnny thought his looks were going through, but that's the very point of it.

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

Charlie definitely should gone home, he is ugly as fuck! It's a travesty that he stayed and Johnny is going home. What complete idiots!

by Anonymousreply 5402/22/2013

r28 has a lot of good things to say.

I never understood the hate for Jennifer Lopez on American Idol. She was(surprisingly)very knowledgeable and very articulate in her critiques, and warm and respectful and sometimes delighted with the contestants. Passionate, genuine and helpful, she did not phone it in at all.

I completely gained respect for her, and wanted her to mother my children or at least practice making some. Yikes, I AM gay, but wow she was beautiful day after day and a bright kind soul.

Nicki Minaj is a grotesque, maybe not in her looks? but she has taken a show that gets little respect and lowered it further with her cute and "adorable" nature.

Who has encountered someone who so overcompensates and whose personality is so overbearing that they presume to speak for everyone? When that didn't fly well, cuz Mariah knows who can and can't sing, and needed bodyguards from Minaj's shade, Nicki switched personalities and rotated her wig.

Then came the babydoll voice and adopting of nicknames for everyone and telling them how cute their outfits were or stating that forth rate drag queens are deep "artists" ladybug. She really is a new low for that show. Passive-aggressive phony. She will come out on top too, but not forever. She can talk a good game, but doesn't know much about singing. Mariah is not high born or high class but she is vocal royalty.

My mother thinks that Nicki is adorable and so sweet, so there you go. She has highjacked the show with a blond wig and barely singing a note in her life.

Mariah Carey is of course the most talented singer they have ever had on the panel, but she cannot be other than her self. She is not going to gush about an out of tune vocal, and even when giving praise she is far too aware that the camera is on her. I doubt that she is different in everyday life, but she seems phony. Not a bitch, but her smile comes with the largess of a princess. But wait. Mariah did it for real in precious, and even if you hate her singing she is a real singer and her approval will mean something when it comes strong.

The American Idol audience are going to HATE her. Terrible idea for Mariah to expose herself this way and Wiggy Minaj will fool some of the people most of the time.

Mariah and Randy should make all the choices even if they do end up with an oversinger as a winner they will at least have a singer win for the first time in years. Caterwauling as the old gays say, and soulless clones as the young gays say. But a record selling powerhouse winner. The mandate of the show.

Have to view it as fun or not at all.

by Anonymousreply 5502/22/2013

Are you smoking crack, r55? Lopez was a boring ass judge that never offered helpful critique. Nicki, while I believe her talentless, has been a way better judge.

by Anonymousreply 5602/22/2013

Then you are easily fooled r56.

To critique singing well, you must know something about reading or singing music, the scales, harmonics, keys and modulations, tone, range, singing in front behind or on the downbeat, use of vibrato to embellish or to correct a note, breath and phrasing and lots more. Runs and trills are purely ornamental and therefor included in basic technique.

Jennifer Lopez was the best at including these things casually in her comments, Paula Abdul did it sometimes too. Randy does it but assumes that everyone knows the shorthand, and Kara Dio Guardia offered such observations with a sinister eye on the bottom line.

Jennifer Lopez did the best all round for the format and as I stated I was surprised by her knowledge even if she doesn't sing well.

by Anonymousreply 5702/22/2013

I thought Paul Jolley was fantastic tonight, really has potential, and is a great singer, and the judges praised him.

But when it came time tonight to keep him, they said only two of the judges voted to keep him, and the music mogul guy had to break the tie.

I cannot understand why two of the judges voted to dismiss him when there were not any other males left to even keep - and certainly none that even began to compare with his skill and talent level. (as Devon who also is a fantastic singer was certainly going to be kept on)

And keeping the horrid horrid senseless Charlie is completely bizarre and a mockery of the contest.

by Anonymousreply 5802/22/2013

Our next contestant is 26-year-old, Anna Mae Bullock from Nutbush, Tennessee.

Previously, Nicki told Anna Mae she needed to work on her confidence and really own her performance. Randy said she was a little pitchy and Mariah was worried about the tone of her voice.

Let's hope she's able to make a good enough impression on the judges tonight to make it through to the top 10.

by Anonymousreply 5903/01/2013

They are paying Carey $18 million. What does she do to deserve that? She's a non-entity.

by Anonymousreply 6003/01/2013

Mariah gives the best vocal advice of any judge ever on any singing show. She is very specific about her notes to the singers. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 6203/01/2013

Jennifer Lopez was a vastly better judge than simpleton Mariah is.

by Anonymousreply 6303/01/2013

So ALL the guys are gay this season, right?

by Anonymousreply 6403/07/2013

Devin, Lazaro, Burnell, Vincent, Cortez

Amber, Angie, Aubrey, Candice, Zoanette

If they have 2 wild cards, they will save Cortez and Kree. Cortez and Vincent will get voted out next week

by Anonymousreply 6503/07/2013

Oh dear god only people who hate American Idol and music and singing could possibly vote for Zoanette (and I doubt many of those types bother tuning in anymore).

by Anonymousreply 6603/07/2013

I have no favorites so far.

by Anonymousreply 6703/07/2013

[quote]Mariah Carey also has the very annoying, too frequent hand gesture of touching her hair and using her hand to sweep to the side her invisible hair and hair which is not out of place. It's a nervous gesture and very frequent - too difficult to watch.

Are you sure you're not talking about Nicki? Because she constantly strokes her hair. And, her rolling her eyes up is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 6803/07/2013

Keeping my fingers crossed that Paul Jolley makes it to the finals!!

by Anonymousreply 6903/07/2013

None of them can sing. Watched it the other night. this is the absolute worst season yet.

by Anonymousreply 7003/07/2013

R70 Agreed, nothing better here, than you can catch at a night of karaoke. No SUPERSTARS here.

by Anonymousreply 7103/07/2013

Boy, you take the drum set away from Zoanette, and voila, it is revealed that she is all soul, and no technique or breath support.

I like Angie Miller's original songs and the way she sings them. She's no Tori Amos, but she's compelling to watch, and better than the rest of the girls. I think they are really overselling Cree.

Lazaro and Charlie cannot sing at all. Outside of Angie, I think the only good singers are black this year.

The chino/latino boy is uber-adorable, but come on...cannot sing.

by Anonymousreply 7203/07/2013

I didn't realize how sexy Keith Urban is...his voice, face, and biceps. I don't like his tats, but still a hot man. I'm hearing rumors that Keith is a hot bisexual...oh, baby!

I think the guy who stutters has the best singing voice. Their is nothing special with the girls so far.

by Anonymousreply 7303/07/2013

The pre-song segment with Paul Jolley was hysterical. I cannot believe he is still trying to butch it up especially after the entire Prada line of Purses came tumbling out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 7403/07/2013

LOL, r74! 😃

by Anonymousreply 7503/07/2013

The seasons just keep getting worse and worse. They should really just end the show after this season.

by Anonymousreply 7603/07/2013

Thank God The Voice Is Starting Up Again

by Anonymousreply 7703/07/2013

The Voice is such a waste of time. The judges get pimped all the fucking time. What about the contestants? Don't they deserve a shot?

by Anonymousreply 7803/07/2013

The Voice is better than AI. They have better judges. The chemestry between them is good. The problen I have is they get so repetative while judging. They also seem afraid to tell a contest they sucked. I don't think judges should play to the camera and be critical for the sake of tv but I do think they need more honest judges. If all you want to do is kiss ass and be the "nice guy" you shouldn't do these type shows.

by Anonymousreply 7903/07/2013

Only two hot guys this season, Paul Jolley and Lazaro Arbos. The others are very poor choices by the judges.

by Anonymousreply 8003/07/2013

I want to see Bo and his jandras.

What happened to Charlie last night?

Yay Lazaro and jolly even if they don't sing that great.

The blonde country gal is good but no Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 8103/07/2013

Both guys are poor attempts at Clay Aiken. Here he is singing "Alone" about 100000000x better than Paul.

by Anonymousreply 8203/07/2013

That Curtis Finch Jr. is creepy.

by Anonymousreply 8303/07/2013

Paul Jolley did not sing well tonight.

by Anonymousreply 8403/07/2013

Nicki Minaj continues to be so fake.

by Anonymousreply 8503/07/2013

What is with Burnell's nerdy glasses?

by Anonymousreply 8603/07/2013

Curtis is the new Jennifer Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 8703/07/2013

When was the last time this show actually produced a REAL star that didn't fade out of popularity after a few years? The only people with lasting success I can think of are Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Jennifer Hudson (but she got voted off early so that really doesn't even count).

by Anonymousreply 8803/07/2013

At least the only two hot guys, Paul and Lazaro made it through.

by Anonymousreply 8903/08/2013

They ALL sounded bad tonight. Nicki had that "did we pick the wrong singers this season?" look.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2013

R88, Taylor Hicks has a continuous non-stop gig for the entire past year (and continues forward) at a major hotel in Las Vegas playing to sold out shows.

He puts on a fantastic show and has been very popular. He's a great musician and showman, and has gotten rave reviews.

Phillip Phillips who won Idol last season just went on tour with Matchbox Twenty.

There are plenty of others - one is the tall good looking black woman (will look up her name) has a continuing career.

Just because you haven't heard what other Idol winners are doing doesn't mean they have disappeared. You are just not well-informed.

by Anonymousreply 9103/08/2013

I think the five male finalists are fantastic.

Each has strengths and are very emotionally moving.

Mariah is becoming better each week as a judge.

I think Keith Urban has a lot of worthwhile things to say and has a great personality.

by Anonymousreply 9203/08/2013

I think Candace and Kree are the only two really good singers. But that Lazaro sure is cute with his phat ass and big package.

by Anonymousreply 9303/08/2013

Does that mean asshole Finch is out?

by Anonymousreply 9403/08/2013

Nicki's the best thing to happen to American Idol since Kelly Clarkson. Period. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 9503/08/2013

[quote]Nicki's the best thing to happen to American Idol since Kelly Clarkson. Period. End of story.

And still very fake.

by Anonymousreply 9603/08/2013

I love Devin Velez. He is my pick for idol. And Candace and Kree are pretty damn good. I like Lazaro also.

by Anonymousreply 9703/08/2013

I love Devin Velez who sings in spanish and english too.

He moves me emotionally to tears when he sings in both languages.

I think the two black guys who are in the final five sing really well too - especially the one with big roundish glasses. He moves me to tears too.

The tallish white guy in the final five reminds of the voice, demeanor, inflection, and way of singing of Gary Puckett. And that's a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 9803/08/2013

I like the Tennessee chick.

by Anonymousreply 9903/08/2013

Yes, the female Tennessee country music singer has great stage presence, charisma, and an excellent voice - plus she is good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 10003/08/2013

2 nights in a row.

Lazaro's monster bulge puts even Phil Keoghan to shame.

That boy is PACKING!

by Anonymousreply 10103/08/2013

[quote]Nicki's the best thing to happen to American Idol since Kelly Clarkson. Period. End of story.

Bitch please, she's a human cartoon that has to hide the fact she is marginally talented behind the mask. Dumb as a rock too.

[quote]Taylor Hicks has a continuous non-stop gig for the entire past year (and continues forward) at a major hotel in Las Vegas playing to sold out shows.

He's in the Lounge. he's not headlining in the main showroom. A good gig but he's no Elvis. Plus, he sang at The Republican National Convention and lost a big portion of his audience.

Going to give credit to Ryan for handling the Charlie kid that was having a breakdown live on air. Shows why he's good at live TV.

by Anonymousreply 10203/08/2013

[quote]Yes, the female Tennessee country music singer has great stage presence, charisma, and an excellent voice - plus she is good-looking.

Oh, please! Another lame country singer, a dime a dozen.

by Anonymousreply 10303/08/2013

[quote]Going to give credit to Ryan for handling the Charlie kid that was having a breakdown live on air. Shows why he's good at live TV.

I totally agree with you. Charlie should have never been picked in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 10403/08/2013

Ugh. There is a difference between STAR and a singer who is busy working. LOTS of Idol people are working on the concert circuit, writing songs recording albums, and on Broadway, and TV, and movies. But only Kelly, Carrie, and Hudson are STARs. Katherine MacPhee is a TV star but no one watch the show.

In short, it's a fantastic platform for young singers to launch a career in many fields.

by Anonymousreply 10503/08/2013

[quote] Plus, he (Taylor Hicks) sang at The Republican National Convention and lost a big portion of his audience.

You mean he went from 6 fans to 3?

by Anonymousreply 10603/08/2013

I can't wait for Curtis to get voted off. He is so annoying. Candice has a better voice than Mary J Blige, but I don't think she has the look.

I think Angie will be the winner.

by Anonymousreply 10703/08/2013

R106, Taylor Hicks did not lose fans by singing one brief song at the Republican Natl Convention nor did Ricky Martin lose fans.

You, R106, are sticking to a hackneyed, banal idea which you think makes you look astute and smart.

by Anonymousreply 10803/08/2013

R108 here. I meant to direct my comments at R108 to R102, not R106.

R102, Taylor Hicks is NOT in the lounge at Paris Las Vegas Hotel.

He is a headliner in a long-term residency at the Paris Las Vegas Hotel show room.

And he is playing other Bally Hotels across the country for concerts on some nights away from his long-term residency at Paris Las Vegas.

He has had rave reviews from show-goers about his continuing residency shows.

by Anonymousreply 10903/08/2013

When Lazaro learned that he was in the top 10, it looked as if his initial reaction was to kiss Ryan on the lips. That would have been great.

Lazaro reminds me quite a bit of the guy I lost my virginity to. My guy didn't have a stutter, though. I'd laugh if Lazaro reveals that the stutter is a made up gimmick to garner sympathy.

I don't like Velez. He's ugly and the Spanglish singing is getting tired. Of course, he'll do it every week since he now thinks it's his key to success (which it just might be).

by Anonymousreply 11003/08/2013

R103, I don't want the female Tennessee country singer to win - I was just pointing out that she has talent and positive attributes.

I cannot stand Carrie Underwood, by the way, even though I do like country music among other genres.

by Anonymousreply 11103/08/2013

I think Lazarro stutters because he's ashamed of being gay and it has messed with his mind since his dad is a big masculine latino

Devin has a great voice, but not any star quality

by Anonymousreply 11203/08/2013

R110, Devin does not sing 'spanglish'.

And last night he sang his song without spanish at all - all in english.

And it was quite a bit less effective.

His spanish appeals to a very large spanish audience in the U.S. and worldwide.

Latinos in the U.S. are in very large numbers in the U.S. and the fastest growing minority in the U.S. and will overtake numbers of caucasions in the U.S. in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 11303/08/2013

R110, you are a very ugly person inside and an ignorant fool.

Devin does not sing nor speak 'spanglish', you unworldly no-nothing cretin.

by Anonymousreply 11403/08/2013

Omg, did you hear what I heard? Devin sang "It's Impossible" in English and Spanish. I think he's going to use the Spanish thing to get votes.

by Anonymousreply 11503/08/2013

Devin sings the first half of a song in English.

And then the second half of the song in spanish.

He also speaks English very well and he doesn't have a spanish accent.

He does not blend spanish and english words together in the same sentences/paragraphs nor does he intersperse spanish words with english words in the same sentences/paragraphs while speaking and singing - which is what 'spanglish' is.

And R110 was displaying bigotry and derision.

by Anonymousreply 11603/08/2013

meant to type know-nothing cretin!

by Anonymousreply 11703/08/2013

Keith Urban is growing on me week by week. He's got a gentle, unassuming demeanor, is pretty perceptive on performance issues, and is kind to the contestants even when being critical.

He certainly has the prettiest eyes.

by Anonymousreply 11803/08/2013

[quote]Taylor Hicks is NOT in the lounge at Paris Las Vegas Hotel. He is a headliner in a long-term residency at the Paris Las Vegas Hotel show room.

What are you, his manager? I said it was a good gig for him but he's no Elvis. Shit, he's not even an Elvis impersonator. Apparently anyone appearing is considered a Headliner. I'm only repeating what is on The Paris website.

Venue: Napoleon's Lounge at Paris Las Vegas

His VIP – Premium Seats And Taylor Meet & Greet are only $69.99

by Anonymousreply 11903/08/2013

That's not what you said, r119. Taylor Hicks has a very successful gig in Vegas, and is currently a headliner.

by Anonymousreply 12003/08/2013

verificatia of lazarro meat?

by Anonymousreply 12103/08/2013

R118, I agree about Keith Urban. My estimation and opinion of his smarts and personality have gone up by leaps and bounds.

I've seen him perform his music tons of times on tv, and I could see that he is an extremely accomplished guitar player, musician, and singer, but I never knew before seeing him as a judge on American Idol that he has a really great personality, astuteness, knowledge, emotional intelligence, and smarts.

by Anonymousreply 12203/09/2013

On no, we have a Taylor Hicks troll? You have got to be kidding me. He is a fat, obnoxious, untalented closet case. The worst winner of AI by far.

by Anonymousreply 12303/10/2013

Candace and Kree are so much better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 12403/13/2013

Nicki looked like a witch tonight. Btw, she's the very first judge to be late at a live show.

by Anonymousreply 12503/13/2013

Paul and Lazaro are so much better than anyone else. It will be a complete travesty if one of them doesn't win it.

by Anonymousreply 12603/13/2013

Nicki being late when she's making all of that money is absolutely pathetic. No excuse. Hope she doesn't come back.

by Anonymousreply 12703/14/2013

That Lazarro guy is still there because of his story. He's the weakest link. By far.

by Anonymousreply 12803/14/2013

You are right r128. I was hoping he would be gone by now..the short guy was as good as him but his story wasn't sad enough for them.

by Anonymousreply 12903/14/2013

R126 Are you deaf? Lazaro is fine but far from the best. Candace, Kree, Angie, Amber are the best. I actually think Amber has star quality.

by Anonymousreply 13003/14/2013

OP says Lazaro is an underdog? Hardly. He's not a great singer but his story has made him a favorite.

by Anonymousreply 13103/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 13203/14/2013

Minaj being late wasn't cute or acceptable as diva behavior. That show is live, it's one of the biggest and best gigs out there, and it pays her big time to be present.

I'm sure that the producers have had very strong words with her, something along the lines of "If you have to camp here overnight to be sure you're in that fucking chair an hour before showtime, you will do it or you will be gone."

by Anonymousreply 13403/14/2013

Minaj is my favorite person on the show. She's far more interesting than the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 13503/14/2013

I haven't watched AI in YEARS. Seriously I haven't really watched since Fantasia and I certainly didn't watch during all those years when it became the forgettable white guy with guitar winner's club.

But I am watching this year because it all seems very fresh. Like or loathe Nicki (and let's face it most people here are a long way from her target market) she gives very astute criticism and is a great judge. This is someone who just 5 years ago was working at the Times Square Red Lobster. She may not be your cup of tea but the woman knows what it takes to be a megastar.

I also like the diversity of the contestants and the different singing styles. Lazaro is beautiful (though a bit too thick in the hips for the skinny jeans they keep putting him in) and Amber is great, but that Candace performance last night was one of the best things I've ever seen on Idol. Wow. Even if she doesn't win there is no way that talent will go to waste.

by Anonymousreply 13603/14/2013

Lazaro is hardly the underdog. He does have a speech handicapped which endeared him originally, but he can sing well, it's just not effortless for him, which makes you root for him more. When he started he had zero confidence and it's great to see him grow. That's part of the show. He's also the best looking guy on the show and he has something most of the top ten don't have, Star Quality, "IT".

by Anonymousreply 13703/14/2013

[quote] I think the two black guys who are in the final five sing really well too - especially the one with big roundish glasses. He moves me to tears too.

You too?? Me too!!! There is something so endearing about that kid. He's not the best singer, and his hand gestures are actually laughably funny, but there is something so cute and so honest an so sincere about him that I just feel drawn in by him.

Clearly, it's not just us, because Mariah feels the same way. I absolutely adore him

[quote] Nicki being late when she's making all of that money is absolutely pathetic. No excuse.

Totally agree. She's mildly entertaining, and while the less-jaded folk might think she's fresh and funny, I think she's actually a fake bitch. I know many people like her, and that schtick gets old fast.

[quote] That Lazarro guy is still there because of his story. He's the weakest link.

True, he's not even close to being the best singer, but I love hard-luck stories like his. I'm so sick of seeing the fake bs stories paraded across the Idol stage, about how "hard" these kids had it.

Lazaro is the real deal. The guy has a serious stutter, and I can't even imagine the torturous teasing he must have endured.

The poor kid sweats profusely on stage, and when Keith asked him a simple question, he UNCOMFORTABLY took an eternity to stutter out the answer.

I adore Lazaro for putting himself out there DESPITE his disability, and I love him for it. I hope he stays, but I fear he might get voted out.

[quote] I am watching this year because it all seems very fresh.

I agree. Keith, Nicki, and Mariah are a breath of fresh air. I've always appreciated Randy for his pretty honest comments, and the addition of these three (especially Mariah) REAL music industry stars has lended this season a great deal of credibility.

Mariah's multitude of Grammy wins is astounding enough. But Keith and Nicki are also stars in their own right, one country and one rap, so their collective experience is pretty impressive.

This really is an interesting season.

by Anonymousreply 13803/14/2013

The stutter guy should have been gone a long time ago. He is not that great. But I guess when you have a good sob story, that's all you need to get far.

by Anonymousreply 13903/14/2013

quite honestly there is very little talent this year and no one is memorable. I don't buy that cuban shy boy act for one second. Gays only care about looks, I bet he gets laid constantly.

by Anonymousreply 14003/14/2013

Most of the male singers ping, especially Lazaro and Paul. I mean, Paul wants to be the MALE version of Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 14103/14/2013

Paul is gay and has/had a boyfriend. Here are pics:

by Anonymousreply 14203/14/2013

Lazaro is the best singer there.

by Anonymousreply 14303/14/2013

I agree with pretty much R138 wrote. I cannot fathom R140's reaction. I feel like, top to bottom, this is the most talented Top 10 since the very early years of this show; maybe ever.

I am SO GLAD they avoided the pitfalls of the last several years: goat-throats with no stage presence, groaning complaint-rocker wannabees (like the last several winners) and twee Duffy types who can't sustain a whole song even cut down to 90 seconds.

Instead, they are back to people who can legitimately sing. To me: Candice, Angie, Kree, Amber and Burnell are all terrific singers and already seem like pros, or pros in the making. I look forward to their performances and I can actually foresee all of them having some level of success after this show.

I also root for the 3 obvious gay boys. Devin is not much to look at (IMHO) but he is a terrific singer. Lazaro is ultra-adorable but each week he reveals that he's not as good as I'd first hoped he'd be (I also agree with the comment above that he's too bottom-heavy for the skinny jeans). But he's no doubt got quite a fanbase to carry him and I won't mind him staying for a while. Paul is cute enough and he can sing but I can see why the judges think he's more like a good theme park singer than a real star.

The 2 I can skip over are the country girl, who doesn't offend me but is not my favorite thing, and Curtis. He can certainly sing, so I understand how he made it this far, but I dislike him a lot. He's so much like a shyster tv preacher who'll inevitably end up on the evening news for preying on the teen boys in his congregation.

R138 and I might be the rare people who enjoy all 3 new judges. Mariah is kinder than I expected; Nicki makes me laugh and often I agree with her. I'd always thought Keith was adorable and very talented (saw him in concert once and he was great, esp. on the guitar) but when he so effusively praises the good ones, including the guys, he is soooo hot. I am definitely enjoying this season more than I have for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 14403/14/2013

How can Paul have a bf when he's on AI?

by Anonymousreply 14503/14/2013

[quote]But I am watching this year because it all seems very fresh. Like or loathe Nicki (and let's face it most people here are a long way from her target market) she gives very astute criticism and is a great judge. This is someone who just 5 years ago was working at the Times Square Red Lobster. She may not be your cup of tea but the woman knows what it takes to be a megastar.

Nicki has no talent, and is fake. She should have been replaced for being late.

by Anonymousreply 14603/14/2013

[quote]Most of the male singers ping, especially Lazaro and Paul.

If there was any doubt about Lazaro pinging, here's a picture of him worshipping Britney Spears' star on Hollywood Blvd...

Now that I know what shitty taste in music he has, I don't really like him much now.

by Anonymousreply 14803/14/2013

This is the best top 10 I can remember.

I'll be in the audience tonight.

by Anonymousreply 15003/14/2013

Kree has the perfect name for a music star.

by Anonymousreply 15103/14/2013

Where are you sitting, r150?

by Anonymousreply 15203/14/2013

Angie and Kree are both vocally gifted in their range, tone and style and along with Amber are marketable.

Candice is the first last and everything. Her singing is very technically complex, and yet her presentation is riveting. Her subtle tone shifts in chords are just the finest of r&b riffs and her pitch is perfect even in her much more challenging jazz infused moments. Her low tones are rich and velvety, she has a strong chest voice with a slight rasp and her high belts soar into clear bell tones which she then spins into space using a very fine vibrato. She shapes every note of her singing and yet appears to be fully into the song and performance. Her voice and her understanding of it may make her the best singer Idol has ever had. Not likely to win, though.

Of the men only Devin and the adorable round glasses guy can actually sing beyond a high-school musical level.

by Anonymousreply 15303/14/2013

I don't know where I'll be sitting, but was told I'm on the VIP list. I'll be wearing a yellow shirt.

by Anonymousreply 15403/14/2013

It looks like a woman will be winning AI this season. R154, have fun!

by Anonymousreply 15503/14/2013

Speaking of bad singers, remember Sanjaya? I hope this doesn't happen to Beiber.

by Anonymousreply 15603/14/2013

[quote]Now that I know what shitty taste in music he has, I don't really like him much now.

Honey, he's a baby. That was what he grew up with. Hopefully he'll grow.

Nicki Minaj is getting $12 million this season. She should be in the studio two hours before showtime and ready at half hour call. There is no excuse.

by Anonymousreply 15703/14/2013

I agree with r153, though I think Kree is better than r153 gives credit for. Amber too. S/he has Angie pegged.

Candice is remarkable, but it's too mature and has nothing to do with this show. I fear she won't last long, but I'll be happy to watch her however long that is. She's so capable technically, that her choices become really interesting. And she's smart enough to make good choices.

by Anonymousreply 15803/14/2013

Candice is in the top three along with Kree.

by Anonymousreply 15903/14/2013

So happy Curtis is gone and the judges didn't save him. He was a bitch with a monstrous ego and he turned off most of the viewers with his appalling behavior in Hollywood Week. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 16003/14/2013

Oh my ears! Charle

I'm going to hear that song in my dreams..what was it blue bubblegum dreams or something?

I want to see Phil and his Phillips

by Anonymousreply 16103/14/2013

Curtis gone and better news yet....

The three best performers and talents were recognized as such. Candice, Kree and Angie.

Lazurus coming in forth just means a better singer will fall before his stutter. Not one of these boys is going to beat the stratospheric superior talent of the women this year.

Two girl finale. Candice and Angie, or Kree and Angie.

It should be Candice and Kree, but should never happens on this show.

Amber has a lovely soprano, a fine ease of singing and is very beautiful. But you can't be a wispy Whitney Houston and win. Hearing almost Whitney is like almost coming.... pleasurable but not IT. We know how it should feel.

Candice is the beginning and end. The best singer I have never heard.

by Anonymousreply 16203/14/2013

Lazaro and Paul are by far the best singers this year, the girls all suck.

by Anonymousreply 16303/14/2013

Mariah stayed on stage to talk to Curtis after the show ended for about 3 minutes. She also talked to Kree a bit. Nicki didn't hang around.

by Anonymousreply 16403/14/2013

Did Phillip and Phillips looked looked hot tonight? That boy is sex on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 16603/14/2013

Is a "worship leader" a real occupation?

by Anonymousreply 16803/15/2013

I thought Curtis was stuck up on himself, he wanted to be the next Jennifer Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 16903/15/2013

R156 Wow, that's embarassing. It's sad when people don't know how to let go of their dreams of "stardom". Time to let it go and move onto something else.

by Anonymousreply 17003/15/2013

All the men, including Curtis, are gay. All 5 of them will likely be eliminated before any of the girls. Did anyone vote for the singer being added for the tour? I voted for the girl. Thought her rendition of "Out Here On My Own" was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 17103/15/2013

R164, how about Keith Urban?

by Anonymousreply 17203/15/2013

I'm also glad Curtis is gone. He was way, way too much, and he's definitely no Luther Vandross.

I agree that Candice is the best. Funny that they passed on her last season. WTF?

My second fave is Devin. I love his odd looks, and he reminds me so much of Mark Anthony, with the whole odd face, skinny body, powerful voice, and... big dick? I can't figure out if he's gay, but I'd say that most likely, he is gay.

I'm also a Lazaro fan since he's so darned cute with his bowties.

Those Paul Jolley photos are beyond a doubt. He's gay.

I don't care what y'all say. I'm enjoying this season with all the different jandres of music.

by Anonymousreply 17303/15/2013

The ratings are still a disaster. Something tells me Mariah and Nicki won't be on next season unless they're willing to take a major paycut.

by Anonymousreply 17403/15/2013

I thought that Candice's "I Who Have Nothing" is probably one of the best performances on this show ever. Just an astoundingly good rendition of a song which they like to tout as Jordin Sparks' big moment several years ago (guess that's over!) She is not even in the same league as the other singers. She's almost too good for this competition and will probably not "win".

Good luck to her, though. I'd buy her album in a second.

by Anonymousreply 17503/16/2013

Lazaro in yellow jacket and red shoes. He was out of key. He gets harsh criticism and explains that he had to change his song. He had only one day to learn. He starts crying. Ryan literally wipes the tears from his eyes. It was so 'sweet.

The red headed kid did not get on the tour. I thought there was going to be a meltdown but he kept it together.

This Beatles nite is horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2013

Is poor Ryan showing any ill effects from his recent unluckiness in love?

by Anonymousreply 17703/20/2013

Lazaro and Paul rock! One of them should win it all!

by Anonymousreply 17803/20/2013

They're not going to let another guy win this year.

by Anonymousreply 17903/20/2013

I don't think the voting is fixed. If it were, Jessica would have won last year.

by Anonymousreply 18003/20/2013

None of the guys are the best singers and Lazaro is the weakest of all the remaining contestants by far. His "story" is what's keeping him there and it's becoming tiresome. I am not watching the show with my dick, just looking honestly at the talent levels.

Last week Candice was outstanding; one of the best song performances ever on Idol.

by Anonymousreply 18103/20/2013

Lazaro is NOT the weakest singer, he's GREAT! I don't think Candice is that hot.

by Anonymousreply 18203/20/2013

No, Lazaro should not have gone long ago. He's still on American Idol, because he's great.

by Anonymousreply 18403/20/2013

No, Lazaro is an annoying crybaby. There all pretty crappy this time around.

by Anonymousreply 18503/20/2013

I agree, he's a crybaby.

by Anonymousreply 18603/20/2013

What is up with Nicki Minaj's cursing? She irritates me,

by Anonymousreply 18703/20/2013

I think Janelle should go. Making a Beatle song country was so lame.

by Anonymousreply 18803/20/2013

Lazaro troll, you are bizarre. So is claiming that they're all crappy. Apart from Lazaro (whom I like, but he's just not delivering) this is the most talented bunch of singers they've had in a top 9.

by Anonymousreply 18903/20/2013

I think all nine current finalists are excellent singers and performers.

They are all great and I hate to see any one of them leave.

Very tough competition this season.

Lazaro's performance was not good tonight, so if one has to go, it should be him. But it's hard not to give him another chance.

Of the nine, Lazaro is probably the one not quite on par with the other eight fantastic singers.

by Anonymousreply 19103/20/2013

I think Lazaro's a sweet kid but he is the weakest of the remaining 9. I thought it was a travesty that Devin was in the bottom 2 last week rather than Lazaro. Devin is the best of the boys. I will say this about Lazaro. He's cute and has an ass to die for attached to those child bearing hips. He makes my dick hard when the camera gets a butt shot.

by Anonymousreply 19303/20/2013

All of the nine finalists make me cry out of pure emotion when they sing.

All nine have the power to move audiences emotionally which is a great talent to possess.

by Anonymousreply 19403/20/2013

I very much look forward to Devin choosing a song again where he can sing half in english and half in spanish.

It is very effective, emotional, and enjoyable when he does that.

I agree that he could be another Marc Anthony type of singer or a Julio Igelsias type of singer.

(Devin probably wouldn't be a good as Marc Anthony, but maybe similar)

Devin could have a strong following in the U.S. and also worldwide with his english/spanish singing.

by Anonymousreply 19503/20/2013

You are all cukoo. Lazaro cannot sing, at all. Very pour musicality and incapable of lyrical interpretation. Of all the wonderful melodies of the Beatles, he chose the one of most lackluster and sounded terrible. That was not just pitchy dawgs, that would not get you into a junior high musical as a chorus boy. Terrible.

Every one else there can sing. Candice is by far the most advanced vocalist, but Kree, Devin, Allison and Burnell shone tonight too.

Beatles music is not just melodic, it has some of the most beautiful and well known melodies of all time. Mariah was correct to say that it is risky to stray from such well loved and perfect melodies and she loves to stray from a melody trust me.

Popular music today and for about the last 25 years has been much more beat driven than melodic. Most of these kids were out of their element and over their heads with these gorgeous lyrics and melodies. We tend to think of them as simple songs, and some of them are, but deceptively so. Beatles songs done wrong are painful to listen too and a bit of a sacrilege.

Candice was instinctively smart to choose to sing "Come Together", because it is more beat and funk driven and she could have slayed any of the Beatles ballads anyday. I wish she had sung all the songs, especially Yesterday.

Kree has a unique voice and great range, but would have done better to sing two verses of the song as written instead of going off into Joe Cocker territory with "A little help from my Friends."

Paul Jolley, no, just no, is a cruise ship singer. Deserved the less than stellar feedback. Turned a great song into bad Karaoke.

Devin has the best male voice, and sang well, but "The long and Winding Road" is a song of beauty and longing and love, and he conveyed no sense of the words.

Angie chose the right song in "Yesterday", but she is the one who should have taken the song past it's simple structure and improvised more. She has a Pat Benatar, Grace Slick kind of voice that can sound pure or raspy or rock soar and she was a bit too respectful to the point of sounding timid.

Burnell has one hella sweet and sexy tone and soul vibe, but he also sang "Let if Be" a bit robot - like. That is the song to take to church and not get too jazzy precious with.

These kids were in over their heads.

Funny, that blond country girl Janelle did so well. She used the sweet spots of her natural head and chest range, and brought wonderful singing and evocative feeling to one of the Beatles lesser known hits, and whether that was a clever choice or accident she came off best.

Candice was a close second and is the best singer by galaxies.

Amber is in trouble. The song she sang is mostly unknown and as pretty as she and her voice is, she kind of messed it up.

Lazurus should never get up again, but crying and bad taste will keep him around a few more rounds.

by Anonymousreply 19603/20/2013

Great, accurate summary R196. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 19703/20/2013

yes, yes , yes and yes.

Mariah has never even turned her head in the general direction of Minaj, but her visceral response whenever Nicki speaks say it all.

I like her for not even pretending.

by Anonymousreply 19803/20/2013

Lazaro is a great singer, I can't believe all the anti-latino hate on here.

by Anonymousreply 20103/21/2013

r201, you ignorant slut!

by Anonymousreply 20203/21/2013

r201 Simply wants us to know that there is not nearly enough Latino hate since we all are anti-Latino haters. Meanwhile, lame Lazaro just tried to parlay a stupid sob story into a singing career, he wont' win though. This year it has to be a girl. It will be Angela or whatever her name is.

by Anonymousreply 20303/21/2013

Serious question. Is Lazaro a stutterer or is it a language barrier issue?

by Anonymousreply 20403/21/2013

He is r204 but his folks don't speak English and he may not stutter in Spanish and so he probably never got speech therapy (which was offered free at my school in the 80's) He has lived here for 20 years I think so it can be an LB.

by Anonymousreply 20503/21/2013

sorry, I meant it *can not* be a language barrier

by Anonymousreply 20603/21/2013

I had a childhood stutter and spoke two languages. I definitely stuttered in my native language (English), but stuttered much more severely in my second language. I have a hunch Lazaro has the same issue. He stutters in Spanish, but stutters ten times worse in English. I feel so bad for him. Stuttering is one of those things that totally dominates your life. It affects every single thing you do in life. It's truly a horrible affliction.

That said, he deserves to go. He is by far the weakest contestant left.

by Anonymousreply 20703/21/2013

[quote] I will say this about Lazaro. He's cute and has an ass to die for attached to those child bearing hips. He makes my dick hard when the camera gets a butt shot.

I may be wrong, but I think that if Lazaro gets a nice, slow, long, and hard fuck, it will cure his stutter. It's just a guess, but what that boy really needs is a good dick up his ass.

That said, I think the finale will be between Candice and the "yesterday" (Angie?) girl. They're the two best.

AI clearly wants a girl to win, but I'm just glad that these girls are amazing. Candice is a fucking star, and Angie has a voice as clear as crystal. They're both phenomenal.

The best boy is obviously Devin. Btw, he's gay, right? His mannerisms, the ring on his right hand ring finger, and other things, lead me to believe that he's gay. Not only that, but the guy has major BIG DICK face.

This top 9 is really, really one of the best I've seen on AI, and I've watched every season.

Previous judging has always included some "personalities," rather than real singers, but with this group of judges, I don't think they'd bullshit their way through the competition. And it has produced some REAL talent!

I would pick Candice to win, then Angie, then Devin, then.... the rest.

Paul Jolley is so handsome, but I don't think he'll last much longer.

This is a really fun season.

by Anonymousreply 20903/21/2013

Let me guess, r208--big Adam Lambert fan, right?

by Anonymousreply 21003/21/2013

R203 Thank you. I get so sick of people like R201 claiming everyone's anti-latino just because they don't like Larazo or his sob stories. He simply isn't as good of a singer as some of the others.

by Anonymousreply 21203/21/2013

Idol is pure flyover appeal, those kids stand no chance in the real world of music. Same as Next Top Mode, flyover TV with flyover models, they have no chance to make it as real high fashion models.

Idol is TV it's not about music. The first season maybe, they weren't sure, that's how they came up with Kelly and why she is still the only winner to make it internationally. Once they played it for TV they lost any chance of finding a real popstar.

by Anonymousreply 21303/21/2013

I also liked Kree. She blew the other little country chick out of the water, and yet the blonde girl got more praise for her wedding singer performance.

For me, the best singers are Candice, Kree, Devin, then maybe Angela (whom I can't look at without seeing Miley Cyrus).

by Anonymousreply 21403/21/2013

The Miley Cyrus girl sucks but she will probably get through. Kree has a good voice but there is no there there.

The Puerto Rican brother has a great voice has needs to get more confidence so it can really shine.

Candice and the other Black girl should get another chick and form a group.

I haven't seen Idol in a long time and just stared watching last week but it looks like they has switched some things up to try to compete more with the Voice.

For me the best young voices happening right now and for the last few years, as least for women, Amber Riley, Naya Rivera, Megan Hilty and Lea Michele. Those Broadway girls (Lea/Megan) sure know how to work a pop tune.

by Anonymousreply 21503/21/2013

[quote] I thought it was a travesty that Devin was in the bottom 2 last week rather than Lazaro.

My understanding was that the remaining contestants after the top 3 were announced were in no particular order. That suggests to me that Devin was not necessarily in the bottom 2 in the voting. It may just mean that th producers like him & want to give his fan base motivation to increase their votes for him.

by Anonymousreply 21603/21/2013

R213, you are an idiot know-it-all who knows nothing.

There are plenty of singers/musicians from American Idol who are making a good living in the world of music.

by Anonymousreply 21703/21/2013

That goes for R208 and R211 too - idiot know-it-alls who know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 21803/21/2013

But I will say that I don't like Lazaro's parents for living here for 20 years and still not speaking English. I have a feeling that if they knew the language too they could possibly help Lazaro with speech therapy to get rid of that stutter. So make what you will of that r201 but I feel that way about anyone who moves to a foreign country, for good, and is too fucking lazy to learn the native language. I mean we are talking twenty years here, not 6 months. Italian and Polish immigrants who came to New York learned the language years ago and didn't even have Rosetta stone. Anyhow, he still is not a great singer.

by Anonymousreply 21903/21/2013

And why does he always go out of his way to mention that he only just learned or heard the song the night before? No shit, Laz, you guys are fucking 20, I doubt you listened to the Beatles growing up. They all just learned the songs. It's like another sympathy ploy and it's irritating.

by Anonymousreply 22003/21/2013

Jimmy totally called out lazaro tonite. He said..only one day to learn the song? Funny we practiced it 5 days before. Luv jimmy

He said jolly is not ready for prime time. Luv jimmy

He said Angie needs a lot of work and he doesnt think she is all that great at this point. Luv jimmy

He also called out the judges . Luv jimmy

by Anonymousreply 22103/21/2013

Why are Baby Sea Lions beaching themselves in Southern California?

by Anonymousreply 22203/21/2013

R219 I agree. How the hell are they going to live here for 20 years and not bother learning English? Talk about lazy.

And yes, he whines all the time and tries to get sympathy. It's getting old.

by Anonymousreply 22303/21/2013

Jessica Sanchez' balloon parachute pants looked horrible tonight.

Too bad someone could not have advised her that the pants look god awful.

Those pants (and shoes) ruined everything.

Plus her dance moves were not very good.

Too bad she couldn't have played off of Neho (or however it is spelled) in a more effective manner.

She looked like a amateur and someone without promise. It's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 22403/21/2013

I thought Casey Abrahams looked ridiculous tonight, I never cared for his look and sound. He always screams his songs.

Nicki Minaj needs to go home, pronto!

by Anonymousreply 22503/21/2013

One by one the guys leave. I see Lazaro being the only guy to outlast some of the gilrls

by Anonymousreply 22603/21/2013

You guys are being way too harsh and unfair to Lazaro, he's handsome and has a great voice, but I do agree that Devin has the best singing voice out of all the guys.

I would get rid of the country and western girl singer. This is American Idol, not country idol.

by Anonymousreply 22703/21/2013

[quote]And yes, he whines all the time and tries to get sympathy. It's getting old.

Laz does not whine, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 22803/21/2013

I am grateful for Jimmy Iovine as well, though I think his blunt truths can backfire and garner votes for unworthy singers.

What is most pertinent this year aside from the fact that the show is a bit rigged for a girl to win, is that AI has quietly restricted the number of times someone can vote. Fox always loved to report that 749 million people voted this week, even if 732 million of them was one teenage girl voting for Sanjaya or Kris or Phillip Screwdriver.

The long streak of non worthy winners and only non threatening women getting through is hopefully over, and the star voice and performer named Candice can take her spot as the incomparable winner.

Lazaro should have been in the bottom and gone, but most of us could tell that his tears and stuttering and lying ASS would get him through again. Jolley was the next best choice for elimination and you could see the look of relief on the judges faces when they heard it was not going to be Amber.

Would they have saved her? I don't think so unanimously. Minaj being a no talent herself projects way too much onto others potential or her weird attractions when this should be a cut and dried decision. Ladybug. Yuck. I hate her. But to her credit when she doesn't like it she says so. To her detriment she can't distinguish OK from really good from great singing. She is not a singer.

The girls did a sweet rendition of "Here, There and Everywhere" tonight. Some beautiful vocal blending on a gentle song, and the big girl voices (Kree, Candice and Angie) held back and relied on their tone and nuance, so they all sounded great together.

Candice is going to win, not just because I want it but because she is going to give stellar vocals and some full on Diva performances. Some voices cannot be denied. The new voting will allow the people who only vote ten times to finally have a say.

(Lazaro is a pretty desperate sell even for teenage girls, so he is not gonna be there long, but the better guys will probably go first, and Amber too. The most beautiful girl is always the target of the teenage fangurls)

I think I have watched this show for too long, but there really is some great talent this year. Candice or Kree. That is all that should happen.

Candice may be too dark skinned and too heavy and too sophisticated a singer, but I think her voice and electricity are triumphant energies. She has not even begun to blow people's minds.

by Anonymousreply 22903/21/2013

Love R229!

by Anonymousreply 23003/21/2013

I usually don’t feel Jimmy but I love him for his comments regarding Lazaro. None of that bottom 3 deserved to go home before Lazaro. Devin, in my opinion, is the best male finalist and this is his second consecutive trip to the bottom 3 yet Lazaro’s stuttering crying lying ass hasn’t been in the bottom 3 yet. That’s just WRONG.

It’ll be interesting to see Lazaro bombs next week and how he responds if he gets widely criticized again. If he starts with the tears then we know what’s up and the majority AI voting bloc is idiots for allowing him to get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 23103/21/2013

Angie reminds me a lot of Marnie on Girls.

by Anonymousreply 23203/21/2013

I do not understand the like/love for Kree.

She seems average and nothing special to me.

She doesn't sparkle or dazzle.

Nor is she compelling in any way.

Yes, she sings moderately well, but she is very underwhelming. Plus her singing style is rather limiting.

by Anonymousreply 23303/21/2013

Thanks r230

I have read your other posts. We agree.

by Anonymousreply 23403/21/2013

Lazaro and Paul are the two best ones there. Way better than any of the girls. But, I wouldn't be surprised if the fix is in this season for a girl to win.

by Anonymousreply 23503/21/2013

I'm pretty sure a girl is going to win this season too r235 but that's not why Lazaro won't win. It will sound good for him to cry about though, when he's because I'm a boy, blah, blah. Nothing is ever his weak performance's fault.

by Anonymousreply 23603/21/2013

Kree looks uncannily like Melanie Lynskey who was in the teen lezzie classic Beautiful Creatures.

by Anonymousreply 23703/21/2013

Paul was robbed! He would have been one of hottest AI winners ever! Our only hope now is Lazaro.

by Anonymousreply 23803/22/2013

See Paul Jolley in Rock of Ages at the Beef & Boards Dinner Theatre in Mudchute, Ala from July 12-29!

by Anonymousreply 23903/22/2013

So much for the original thread.

by Anonymousreply 24003/22/2013

I didn't like Casey as a contestant but I thought he was great tonight. Best Beatles cover of the week.

by Anonymousreply 24103/22/2013

Casey's great, in very small doses.

by Anonymousreply 24203/22/2013

Even the Daily Fail is onto Lazaro's sob act:

by Anonymousreply 24403/22/2013

Casey Abrams appearance/look is BIZARRO!!

One wonders what is going on in his head to make him have that weird facial hair and very scruffy odd beard.

And wearing a ratty old homeless looking tweed cardigan over a ratty giant smiley face tee-shirt.

Very odd choices.

by Anonymousreply 24503/22/2013

One of the posters on this thread is clearly typing with his dick.

by Anonymousreply 24603/22/2013

The fix is in this season for a girl to win. The guys don't stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 24803/22/2013

"One of the posters on this thread is clearly typing with his dick."

You know, R248/238/235/201/178 etc, that post was about you. You see conspiracies and unfairness about Lazaro. Seriously, he's at best a karaoke singer in too tight jeans. The women this season are far superior in talent and scope. Candice in particular is one of the most vocally talented singers ever on the show---although she may not have all the physical markings of an youngish American Idol. In the past, young girls have voted for the male contestants they found cute, which is what I suspect you're doing to the point that you can't see their flaws. And this is coming from a gay man who loves looking at cute or handsome men.

by Anonymousreply 24903/22/2013

Lazaro knocks it out of the park tonight.

by Anonymousreply 25003/27/2013

I didn't mind what he did with "For Once In My Life" but man, did he fuck up with the two other guys.

I think Amber will get the lowest votes and might be saved tomorrow night. But she's just not connecting with a lot of the viewers.

by Anonymousreply 25103/28/2013

Amber needs to go now!

by Anonymousreply 25203/28/2013

The problem with Amber is that she's Whitney lite. And Whitney lite just isn't Whitney. When you sound so much like a legend, it only serves to show your vocal weaknesses when compared to said legend.

The last thing any current pop vocalist wants is to sound too much like Whitney, Celine or Mariah (at her peak). And of those three, Whitney is far and away the best and most distinctive, making it even worse for Amber.

by Anonymousreply 25303/28/2013

And Amber always gives off the impression that she thinks her shit don't stink. She's probably gone tonight.

by Anonymousreply 25403/28/2013

What happened to the woman that sang Circle of Life. I think she was from wherever Nikki Minaj migrated from, Did she make it into the top ten even?

by Anonymousreply 25503/28/2013

I do think it is not a good year. There isn't a wide range of vocal styles, it's very R'n'B centric, with some pop country. But nothing jumps out at men, very middle ground stuff. Plus the songs are just too boring. Moat seem to have a vocal style that would be better suited to musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 25603/28/2013

They made a big mistake by trying to rig the competition so that a girl would win this year.

by Anonymousreply 25703/28/2013

No but Zoanette is still creating new travesties. She recently blessed the world with her version of Adele's 'Someone Like You'.

by Anonymousreply 25803/28/2013

Keith Urban does look dreamily handsome on this show though.

by Anonymousreply 25903/28/2013

Ryan jokingly asked Lazaro if they sucked because it was a "new song for you to learn" and of course, never one to miss an out and blame others, Lazaro jumps on it and claims he didn't know the words that well. How can he ever be an entertainer? It consists of learning new songs. He reminds me of the girl who overcame anorexia and plied that to get to Hollywood, if you have self esteem issues and are easily hurt, you don't want to be in Hollywood. And if you can't fucking learn a song in four days, you don't want to be in a singing contest.

by Anonymousreply 26003/28/2013

I.m rooting for that thick white girl with the dark hair, the country singer.

She's cute

by Anonymousreply 26103/28/2013

Everyone is tiptoeing around Lazarus' poor singing and ability to perform. There were whole sections of the all male group song where there was no one singing and it was ALL his parts of the song. Completely out of place and out of synch, as the one judge noted calling him out. He fails to ever man up to his deficiencies.

Yet posters here like R252 (trolldar him) have a dozen posts without an ounce of objectivity or truth about Lazarus. He should go, the judges know it now and once the sympathizers begin to fall away, he will go.

by Anonymousreply 26203/28/2013

He is getting votes because of the vote for the worst thing and also because the fraus love him, here is a quote from VFTW:

"Lazaro may end up being of the most perfect VFTW picks!

He's awful. Everyone knows this. But they vote for him anyway because of his stutter. It's like reverse prejudice, they are so uncomfortable with disliking the kid with the handicap that they vote for him because they don't know what to do. While we rightfully say that he can't sing, everyone assumes we're targeting him because of his stutter... and it makes them vote for him more because they feel bad for him. Also, he's apparently the chosen pick from frauen and other females who watch the show for a lust object this year.

I mean, we couldn't have lucked into a better pick if we tried."

They nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 26303/28/2013

Nicki's "dressing down" about the all male group performance was just her having an ego trip. She would've looked better if she had just went after Lazaro rather than the whole group because Lazaro was the one who fucked it up. Nicki brings this show down unlike any other and I despise that H.R.Pufnstuf looking ghetto bitch.

I had no problem with Burnell and Devin throwing Lazaro under the bus because they, like other contestants, are tired of his bull and how the majority AI voting bloc (make of it what you will) keeps passing him through. Unfortunately, Devin or Amber will probably go home tonight. As much as I love Devin, I don't think the judges should use the save on her though. They should hold on to that just in case that damn voting bloc tries to vote Candace Glover out. I think it's Candace to win but you know how this show can be.

by Anonymousreply 26403/28/2013

Preach the truth, R264!

by Anonymousreply 26503/28/2013

Lazaro should have been gone weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 26603/28/2013

Nikki is amazing to watch as a judge. She intelligent and hyper-aware of everything going on, especially people's motivations - the way a smart, abused kid figures out how to quickly break down a situation in order to stay safe. She's calling people out for smiling when they don't mean it for F sake! Love her.

by Anonymousreply 26703/28/2013

I understand people think Lazaro is hot and dig his womanly hips. I kind of get that people feel bad for him when he turns the stutter up to 11 in the face of criticism. But I cannot believe that people actually think he is a good singer and deserves to stay when actual talent goes home. It's baffling to think that.

by Anonymousreply 26803/28/2013

I totally agree R267. I get why people find Nicki annoying, but I find her fascinating. She doesn't censor herself and seems to be passionate about the process.

by Anonymousreply 27003/28/2013

I have a feeling Mariah won't be on this show next year because there's no way they're going to pay her that much again when this season has had such awful ratings. She would have to take a pay cut, and I don't think she'll do that. Plus, Nicki is getting more attention than her, so I bet she's pissed at that too.

by Anonymousreply 27203/28/2013

Another vote for Nicki. She is by far the most honest judge this show has ever had. I always stop the DVR to listen to her critiques. I only sometimes stop for Keith's to take in those dreamy eyes. And I never stop for Randy and Mariah's useless opinions.

by Anonymousreply 27303/28/2013

Nicki is the only reason I watch.

by Anonymousreply 27403/28/2013

What R268 sez. I'm tired of Lazaro. S-s-s-s-so t-t-t-t-tired u-u-u-u-of him.

by Anonymousreply 27503/28/2013

yes, preach r264

Nicki's diva moment(which one?) dressing down the men's group number blurred the fact the the problem was Lazaro missing cues, going completely dead mike and skipping his harmonies.

So Burnell was thrown off and Devin did a heroic attempt to sing the missing parts.

Lazaro deserved the pinpointed blame and not the collective tirade that the group was served by Minaj.

He can't sing, sounds deaf in his enunciation, and turns out to be a little lying Divo bitch when he screws up. Fonzi is too cute a word for him.

If Devin or Amber go home I will be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 27603/28/2013

The only reason Lazaro has lasted this long is because all the Hispanics keep voting for him, even though he sucks.

by Anonymousreply 27703/28/2013

I can't stand Nicki Minaj. She's a fake and a bitch, send her home!

by Anonymousreply 27803/28/2013

[quote]Yet posters here like [R252] (trolldar him) have a dozen posts without an ounce of objectivity or truth about Lazarus. He should go, the judges know it now and once the sympathizers begin to fall away, he will go.

Give me a break! Lazarus is a wonderful singer, and it wasn't his fault that the group did terrible. The country and western singer needs to go, this is not country idol.

by Anonymousreply 27903/28/2013

It's Lazaro, big fan at r279.

by Anonymousreply 28003/28/2013

[quote][R267] is probably the same idiot who likes Lazaro. Nicki's ridiculous, pure and simple. Observe how Ryan and the judges communicate with her. They know she's a dumb ghetto bitch as well.

She's also very disrespectful toward Mariah. When Mariah makes a comment, Nicki rolls her eyes, and turns the other way very rudely. Everyone is noticing her nasty attitude. Minaj has no talent, she's just a ghetto queen with her fake make-up.

by Anonymousreply 28103/28/2013

Lazaro isn't going to win because the show is rigged this year for a girl to win.

by Anonymousreply 28203/28/2013

I thought Amber was horrible last night. She was yodeling up and down the scale. What were the judges hearing?

by Anonymousreply 28303/28/2013

Lazaro is still in because he is cute as hell. Who else is to vote for? The fundie Miley Cyrus look like, the fat black chick, the stank other black chick, the fat country singer, the other fat country singer, the bitchy black queen? Vote for Lazaro, you idiots!

by Anonymousreply 28403/28/2013

Riiiiight R284, let's vote for the stuttering Latino guy with an indifferent voice, because he's hot.

by Anonymousreply 28503/28/2013

[quote]Lazaro isn't going to win because the show is rigged this year for a girl to win.

You don't know that, Lazaro is doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 28603/28/2013

But R284, his talent is limited and he comes off as a victim. What can producers do with that? Who would buy his music beyond a handful of horny girls and you?

He's not even good model material if all you're concerned with are looks. And some of your descriptors apply to some of the most successful Idols after they won or came close.

Put your dick away.

by Anonymousreply 28703/28/2013

My mother is in love with Smokey Robinson. She was so sad when I told her that he is gay (is she blind). He is married...which is weird.

by Anonymousreply 28803/28/2013

I have never, ever heard that Smokey Robinson is gay. REALLY??!?

Seriously, that man looks great for age 73.

by Anonymousreply 28903/28/2013

From the Vote for the Worst site:

"really awesome! Not even knowing words and dancing around ... If he was not good looking nobody would vote for him. This is without a doubt the absolute best VFTW candidate that ever was. There is nothing he doesn't do bad, and even absolutely horrible. Go Lazaro all-time VFTW champion! Appears his boyfriend was in the audience for him too this time."

by Anonymousreply 29003/28/2013

r287, no one is going to buy ANY of their music. One of the big reasons is because this season is completely manufactured to have one of the boring girls to win. Doesn't matter how well they can sing, they have ZERO CHARISMA or personality. No one is talking about how one of these chicks blew them away, everyone is talking about LAZARO. He's the only one interesting in this shit show, besides Nicki maybe. And she's proof of my point, she's famous and rich for being zany (a black Lady Gaga) basically because she can't sing for shit. Vote for Lazaro.

by Anonymousreply 29103/28/2013

r285, being hot is a better measure of success than having a good voice, when it comes to Idol. The most successful idols have been hot (with the exception of Kelly who is sorta cute) - Carrie, Phillip, Daughtry (not really hot but a lot of women seem to like him), Katharine McPhee (who can't act for shit but is very pretty so landed a tv show). Where are all the fug faced great singers from Idol?

by Anonymousreply 29203/28/2013

"This is without a doubt the absolute best VFTW candidate that ever was."

The--the-aaa-ttt bbbb-iii--tttcccch!

by Anonymousreply 29303/28/2013

Isn't he dreamy?

by Anonymousreply 29403/28/2013

Right on 284!! I couldn't of said it better myself!

by Anonymousreply 29503/28/2013

Yes and he's kind of short with wide hips and a big fat ass on his small frame. I'd love to plow the living hell out of him.

by Anonymousreply 29603/28/2013

The ugliest winner by far was Frankentasia followed by that fat slob, Reuben.

by Anonymousreply 29703/28/2013

Oh![296]Please do. That would shut him up.

by Anonymousreply 29803/28/2013

Au contraire, r298, I bet he's a noisy, demanding bottom. F-f-f-f-f-uck my ass!

by Anonymousreply 29903/28/2013

He has big, child bearing hips and fat thighs, it would explain why the frauen like him. They can picture themselves commiserating with him over frozen yogurt at his shop.

by Anonymousreply 30003/28/2013

Does anyone suspect that the stupid AI majority voting bloc didn't like Devin because they can see he's gay, just like with DeAndre Brackensick last season.

by Anonymousreply 30103/28/2013

And they can't tell that Lazaro is gay? And please don't tell me that he isn't!!!

by Anonymousreply 30203/28/2013

Major Dreamboat!

by Anonymousreply 30303/28/2013

Well r302, at least Lazaro was in the bottom 2 this time.

by Anonymousreply 30403/28/2013

*All* the guys in the top this season have been gay. It's just another way to stack the deck in favor of the women, because most women viewers don't want to vote for a gay guy, they want to vote for a straight make believe boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 30503/28/2013

r303 I want to lick his puerto rican nipples. Hopefully we'll get a behind the scenes vid of him presenting them.

by Anonymousreply 30603/28/2013

Nicki is a far better judge than Randy (that's not saying much) or Mariah. All Mariah does is ramble on about herself.

"Hello darling. Well, I could go on and on dissecting all the different things about your performance, but you know how they are and how much they love to cut me off when I get I'll just say that when I was just starting out in my career, I also did that song and the runs in it were like "woah" gave it a good shot and took a risk. I'm proud of you."

or how about this one

(audience goes bananas for the performance, there's a standing O, finally every quiets down to hear the judges.)

Mariah - shout talking like Oprah: "That was a tour de force!"

silence as everyone waits for her to continue.

Mariah - annoyed at the silence, clearly she was expecting another round of applause: "Do any of you peons even know what that means? Tour de Force???"

Keith Urban tries to keep a straight face while leaning out of frame, Randy's eyes and mouth open up like he's the McDonald's Grimace and Nicki rolls her eyes.

Nicki is the sane one!

by Anonymousreply 30703/28/2013

His hands are so tiny r303. Oh and r302, no joke, I think they should be able to tell he is gay but you know the Cheryls of the world..Some chick wrote on some board that she would "love to get him naked and give him another reason to stutter" or something lame like that.

by Anonymousreply 30803/28/2013

r306 I-I'm C-Cuban, Get it r-r-r-right!

by Anonymousreply 30903/28/2013

LAZARRO CANNOT SING AT ALL!!!!! I feel like Sanjaya-ing him so he gets to the final (also, the kids got a great face--but a body thats like a sack of potatoes)

by Anonymousreply 31003/28/2013

Laxaro is built like a woman in her third trimester. There is nothing attractive about that guy.

by Anonymousreply 31103/28/2013

Sorry, but the girls are superior this season. If one of them wins, it's not because there's a "fix."

by Anonymousreply 31203/28/2013

I think the girls are good too r312 but I also think that a girl is going to win because one just has to this season. Of course the Lazaro fangurls are going to latch on to this "fix" thing and neglect to think of the fact that he is a shitty singe. I want him to do Susudio and My Generation as long as he's sticking around for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 31303/28/2013

SO fixed. Could it be more obvious that they want a girl to win? They keep brainwashing the audience to how much better the girls are. I happen to believe they are better, but come ON.

by Anonymousreply 31403/28/2013

Devin has an amazing voice. His upper and lower register is just beautiful. He also has a beautiful falsetto. His voice is perfect for the radio. If he isn't signed I'd be shocked. I can't believe they sent him home over cruise-ship singer AKA Baby Huey AKA Lazaro. Lazaro can't enunciate, and to be considered a good singer one must be able to enunciate properly. His chest voice is OK, his head voice is terrible and pitchy. He will never make it as a singer so he better enjoy the pity vote while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 31503/29/2013

r315 One must also know the lyrics to be a good singer.

by Anonymousreply 31603/29/2013

When Burnell sings, he sounds like Eddie Murphy doing Buckwheat.

by Anonymousreply 31703/29/2013

That too, R316.

Burnell's singing style is clearly Jazz influenced. He's from New Orleans so it isn't surprising. I like his voice, he has an excellent tone.

by Anonymousreply 31803/29/2013

r318 - OTAY!

by Anonymousreply 31903/29/2013

When you get to sing "I can't help myself" (sugar pie honey bunch) with Burnell's sloe eyed soul zone voice and Devin's great sense of rhythm and sweet tenor, a sweet arrangement and nothing but good vibes from any generation, then you and you alone should know Lazaro that you fucked it up.

With more feel for his outfit than the music, the words were TOO hard to learn for him. ASS. He could not master the sweet harmonies and call and response of a great Motown song. Failure. Then he attempted both innocent victim and bitch Divo attitude when his stunned inadequacies were too politely mentioned.

Devin looked like he was gonna smack him and he should have after Minaj told y'all and all y'all to get off the stage. Lazaro ruined that song.

Plus he can't sing.

Amber IS Whitney lite, but sang "Lately" damn well and was spectacular at the end. She needs a year of vocal lessons to adjust her breathing and support for her vocals. Although she can sing and move through her voice registers very well, there is an awkwardness to her phrase endings and she is not fully supported in her lower register. A lot to say about a beautiful girl who will not win, but most pop singers cannot do what she can. She is too close to others in her sound and not distinct enough on her own. She gave a great performance but on record it would never grab you.

Candice is still the best singer, nothing will change this. But she is lacking in confidence and comfort. Janelle is often off pitch, but the tone and sweet spots of her voice combined with her really good sense of song choice makes her hard to ignore. I don't dismiss a country singer who sings as well as she does and with as much heart.

Candice is not sunny bright Janelle delight, but really should step up her game, just as Mariah says. Candice should Mary J and Aretha them out of that dump. Blow the roof off. She is not Jennifer Hudson thank Jesus, she can soar without a scream and her low notes are gorgeous. She needs to play the game a bit more. She is getting a bit too Wynona for me, and that is a terrible waste of a spectacular voice. She is heads above any other singer technically, and needs someone to help her pick her songs. She will never sound bad and people can start to take that for granted.

I have a sweet spot for Burnell. My Cherie Amour. He looks special or stoned, but lots of the greatest singers are nothing but instinct and he kind of blows me away. He will never go flat, cuz he knows how to scrape and inflect off any note that his range cannot master. I like his hand gestures to his notes, a lot of great vocalists from Mariah, to Amanda Marshall, to Al Green do that thing sometimes.

A girl is gonna win and a boy with that much smooth soul never wins, but he and Devin were not put in there just so a girl could win. Fine singers, unique voices and styles. I have been singing his song all day. Burnell.

Angie is a big disappointment. She belongs on "The Voice" where a mentor is telling her how to dress and what to sing. She is my least favourite. Lazarus does not count of course, except on Easter.

Janelle is way better than people think. Better tone and way more tasteful a singer than Carrie Underwood. Carrie also has pitch problems as does Kelly Clarkson. I love Kelly but it is her overall presentation, gorgeous versatility and personality, not her perfection that has made her a star. Look out for Janelle. She has that lovely soprano, warm mid range, true musicality and open countenance that makes a popular star.

Kree is also a popular favourite. Distinct voice and personality. Kree is like Patsy Cline crossed with Adele, not a bad thing. But when she gets nervous she doesn't blow it, but overdoes it and the specific quality of her voice gets lost in too heavy handed singing. She has overdone the Beatles and missed the great beats on "Don't Play that Song." She has been overpraised.

The judges are subtlety underplaying Candice because they know that she is the best, maybe ever on that show. This is not subjective - her voice is heaven.

by Anonymousreply 32003/29/2013

Spot on as usual r320.

by Anonymousreply 32103/29/2013

Yes, that's a good post, R320.

by Anonymousreply 32203/29/2013

Shut up r320, just because you hate Lazaro doesn't mean you have to trash him.

by Anonymousreply 32303/29/2013

[quote]Does anyone suspect that the stupid AI majority voting bloc didn't like Devin because they can see he's gay, just like with DeAndre Brackensick last season.

This is the stupidest post ever in AI thread. Probably from a babygay.

[quote]And they can't tell that Lazaro is gay? And please don't tell me that he isn't!!!

R301 IS that stupid. Fucked up babygay that suspects everyone is being homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 32403/29/2013

Clearly you are high or trolling r323. A part of an analysis of last night's performance from some board:

"Devin knows he's sabotaging himself so he stops to let Lazaro sing his own part for once, hoping Lazaro will pick up his part at the beginning of the chorus "Burning in my heart".

But Lazaro doesn't. He looks out into the audience, swaying back and forth silent for like 5 seconds.

Devin and Burnell share a very quick, yet very angry, "Is he serious?" look

Devin and Burnell pick up the chorus. But now, because of Lazaro's little dance break, they're behind the music, and the performance is in full trainwreck mode.

Devin is now completely covering Lazaro. Singing all of his own parts well and all of Lazaro's parts not nearly as well (obviously... because he didn't rehearse them).

At one point, Lazaro just stops doing the choreography. So now, it's just Burnell and Devin doing the little dance while Lazaro stands there with his eyes closed. It's reached full on hilarious trainwreck at this point.

Lazaro quickly tries to recover the dance but is out of sync with the other two. So now it looks like it sounds. TERRIBLE.

But's it's okay because he totally gives up on it after a few seconds and goes back to being comatose.

Burnell at this point, just stops caring, happily just doing his own parts and the backing harmonies and completely ignoring the trainwreck happening next to him.

But the funniest part of all is how they end it. Devin and Burnell know full well the abomination of music they just partook in and have the most appropriate reactions of all time. Lazaro, however, strikes a pose. A pose of success. A pose of accomplishment. A pose of VICTORY."

by Anonymousreply 32503/29/2013

r324, it's not entirely as far fetch a possibility as you're trying to make it out to be. Let's really think about the majority AI voting bloc. What are they mostly made up of; red state narrow-minded white girls and unhappy single 40-something white woman who tend to gravitate towards the guys that they like to think about as they're rubbing their pussies and having all kinds of sad fantasies about being courted and coupled with these guys. They see someone who's obviously gay and it just ruins the whole fantasy for them and they make them pay. Adam Lambert made it as far as he did based on raw talent but at the end, Kris Allen got the vote. r301 may be on to something.

by Anonymousreply 32603/29/2013

Devin got voted off because of his ears.

by Anonymousreply 32703/29/2013

Yes, r325

That is what happened, and perfectly deconstructed.

Spot on.

by Anonymousreply 32803/29/2013

R320, did you like my Whitney/Amber breakdown? I can't believe how much I learned from you.

by Anonymousreply 32903/29/2013

I didn't know it was you, but yeah the breakdown was sweet.

I quoted you, ha.

by Anonymousreply 33003/29/2013

Just for fun,

Kelly Clarkson

"Beautiful Disaster"

A unique tone is what we love in a singer, add power, technique and feeling and you get a winner on American Idol. They don't have to be perfect or beautiful.

Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 33103/29/2013

R326, your read on Adam Lambert is all wrong. His fan base is made up of the fat middle aged and older women who are the Idol watching demographic. Just like every other Idol contestant who earned fans. Gay or straight doesn't factor into it. These are Mommies who love their little boys no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 33203/31/2013

The girl that looks like she could be one on Demi Moore's kids is cool, the rest not so much.

by Anonymousreply 33303/31/2013

Thank you 320 and 325 for some good coherent intelligent critique.

by Anonymousreply 33403/31/2013

So, just how low are the ratings going to go this season? Will they actually dip under 10 million viewers? It's amazing that they continue to hit new lows week after week after week...

by Anonymousreply 33503/31/2013

r335, I truly believe the longer Lazaro stays combined with more of Ghetto Bitch Minaj ridiculous comments, the lower the ratings will get.

by Anonymousreply 33603/31/2013

[quote]So, just how low are the ratings going to go this season? Will they actually dip under 10 million viewers? It's amazing that they continue to hit new lows week after week after week...

The better question is when are the dumb ass producers going to realize that old cunt Mariah and no-talent Nicki don't deserve their ridiculously outrageous paydays when they can't even bring viewers. Wasn't that the point of bringing them on - to bring in viewers? They should both be discarded from the show after this season.

Better yet, just end the damn show. It's had it's day in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 33703/31/2013

The reason the ratings are getting lower each week, this year is because people have caught on to how the show has rigged it for a girl to win this year.

by Anonymousreply 33803/31/2013

R338 Wrong. Ratings have been terrible from the time the show premiered this season. The show has simply ran it's course.

by Anonymousreply 33903/31/2013

Idol is still FOX's best show and one of the highest rated shows on television.

by Anonymousreply 34003/31/2013

[quote]Idol is still FOX's best show and one of the highest rated shows on television.

That may be, but is it bringing in much of a profit anymore when they're paying the judges and the host astronomical amounts while the ratings keep sinking?

by Anonymousreply 34103/31/2013

Lazaro forgot the words again! What a fucking idiot! And of course he said he's never heard the Queen song that's on a fucking Triscuits or Lays commercial a hundred times a day. At least Angie didn't cover for him like Devin did last week. I sense it's time for this dude to go home. Unless vote for the worst pulls him out I think he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 34204/04/2013

I guess they may have rigged this season for the girls by allowing horrible guys to make the final group. But Candice, Amber, Kree, and Angie all can sing there asses off. With Candice the clear best, Cree second, Amber and Angie tied for third. Those girls are as good as any contestant ever.

by Anonymousreply 34304/04/2013

I agree r343, I think they do want girls to win but some of the girls are pretty good so it shouldn't be hard. I only care about watching Lazaro anymore. It's like Christmas every week with him. I just wonder how he can fuck up next or be any worse, and he always is. He's a triple threat of badness. He can't sing, dance or talk and I never want it to end.

by Anonymousreply 34404/04/2013

Last night was the lowest rated performance show since August 7, 2002! And it was beaten in the 18-49 demo by Modern Family (and by 37%)!

by Anonymousreply 34504/04/2013

Take that, Jimmy. Heh.

by Anonymousreply 34604/04/2013

Lazaro is the best singer there.

by Anonymousreply 34704/04/2013

Every objective observer knows that Lazarro is terrible and is out of his element. He's getting sympathy votes, votes from people who want to embarrass the show (Vote For The Worst) and horndog women and men who total ignore his deficiencies.

Check out what the audience beyond Datalounge is saying.

by Anonymousreply 34804/05/2013

I was just telling someone that Janelle and Amber have something in common that will see them in the bottom more often than the other girls. We all know what that is. They are both very good singers but are cursed on a show like this. Janelle is lucky that she's a country singer, though. That could save her.

This is as much attention or fame Lazaro is going to get. He won't be heard from after this show. His voice is karaoke/ high school talent show level and he's extremely unprofessional. The only reason he's even on the show is because the judges felt sorry for the boy with the stutter. Most of the judges have a trained ear so they now his voice isn't well developed, they just felt sorry for him. He's made the show into a joke.

by Anonymousreply 34904/05/2013

I doubt he's getting the girl votes. Vote for the worst votes? Yes. Girl votes? No. Girls aren't typically attracted to very feminine guys with bodies that resemble their slightly chubby mothers after a night out at The Old Country Buffet.

Jimmy Iovine is a legend. He shouldn't have to deal with someone as untalented and unprofessional as Lazaro. It's incredibly unprofessional to forget words every week and make excused for it.I don't even know why Jimmy does this show. I know that people who don't have a trained ear probably think that Lazaro sounds fine. Singing well is difficult but the best make it look easy. Candace, Janelle, Amber, Devin etc...make it look easy but it isn't easy. Lazaro simply doesn't have the skill to be a good/professional singer. Unless he can make some drastic changes he will be nothing more than a karaoke singer.

by Anonymousreply 35104/05/2013

I know the show is rigged for a girl to win this season but, when Lazaro leaves, I will stop watching. I will not be part of a rigged show.

by Anonymousreply 35204/05/2013

From the Vote for the Worst blog:

I don't know one girl who would vote for Lazaro thinking he's "cute" or "sexy" or "hot". No, the only people I've noticed who are mooning over R-r-r-r-r-ricky R-r-r-r-r-retardo are lovesick, middle aged gay guys who aren't really voting for Lazaro; they are voting for the tree trunk in Lazaro's dayglo dad jeans. Thanks, gay guys! Keep voting for Lazaro's "arbol"!

by Anonymousreply 35304/05/2013

Truly, if Lazaro gets booted out, there literally is NO reason to watch. For all of the females left, not any of them are disctinctive in the slightest. Is anyone really chomping at the the bit to buy a CD by KREE?

by Anonymousreply 35404/05/2013

I was sad when Burnell (or Burrell) left last night.

His rock song was not great, but all of his preceding performances were GREAT, emotionally moving, and charismatic. He has a fantastic singing style.

Burnell never should have been asked to sing a rock song. Nor should have the other contestants. Although, Angie and Amber's rock songs were extremely well done.

by Anonymousreply 35504/05/2013

but r355 isn't the whole point of this to show flexibility in singing also? These people are going to tour I think, and will have to sing whatever is asked of them. Which is another reason that Laz is so great. He can't learn 20 year old songs with a week's notice, imagine how the tour will go! It will not be fun to watch when he is gone, maybe he will go all the way.

by Anonymousreply 35604/05/2013

An American Idol needs to be versatile, not just a bottom....lolz

by Anonymousreply 35704/05/2013

No, an American Idol needs to be true to his or her own singing style and genre - in order, to have a career long after Idol tour is completed and over.

The American Idol Tour is insignficant. What is important is whether the finalists will have a career on their own with their own singing style long after the American Idol show done and long after the Tour is completed.

The Tour just sells to teens and Mom's.

by Anonymousreply 35804/05/2013

[quote]I doubt he's getting the girl votes. Vote for the worst votes? Yes. Girl votes? No. Girls aren't typically attracted to very feminine guys with bodies that resemble their slightly chubby mothers after a night out at The Old Country Buffet.

Guess it's hard for you to notice all the girls at the front of the stage screaming for him that aren't there for the rest of the contestants, with your head up your ass.

Jimmy Iovine is a legend. He shouldn't have to deal with someone as untalented and unprofessional as Lazaro.

He has to put up with anyone put in front of him. That's what he's paid for, not his opinion of who should go home. No one cares who he thinks is going home, especially since he's been dead wrong three weeks in a row. Being a so called legend doesn't exempt him from being a legendary asshole. Now you have to be a really big asshole to have Nikki call you out about your assholism.

by Anonymousreply 35904/05/2013

All of the group numbers sound like variety show or cruise ship low quality performances.

So no matter how well the finalists sing songs outside of their genre, their group (and duet) performances will ALWAYS sound like variety show or cruise ship cheap low quality performances.

by Anonymousreply 36004/05/2013

R359, produce evidence of said girls screaming for another girl (and only her) with more curves than they have. I'm sure you're old and desperate, that's why you think Retardo is hot. Retardo is still in the competition because the ratings have sunk so low combined with Vote For The Worst. Iovine is also getting paid to give his expert opinion on who sucks and who should go home. The longer Retardo stays the lower the ratings will sink.

by Anonymousreply 36104/05/2013

loaozo covers his crotch when he sits now. he must read dl!

by Anonymousreply 36204/05/2013

You guys should just watch The Voice with Adam and now Usher. You don't have to worry about crap singers like Laz on The Voice.

by Anonymousreply 36304/05/2013

With Idol in free fall, don't you know Fox is regretting renewing The X-Factor as this point.

by Anonymousreply 36404/05/2013

Somebody please tell me that we they asked those dumb judges for their Top 3, they were giving their Top 3 for just that week and not in general. The fact that Mariah was the only one to include Candace Glover, clearly the best contestant this season and one of the best ever, in her Top 3 was just absolutely ridiculous.

I really, really hope Nigel Lythgoe is not considering bringing that ugly ghetto bitch Nicki Minaj back next season. She makes me ill.

by Anonymousreply 36504/05/2013

When I saw Lazaro in those jeans I threw up a little in my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 36604/06/2013

I like Angie and Amber's performances and singing abilities much more than I like Candance's singing abilities, R365.

I'm indifferent to Kree. I don't find Kree all that outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 36704/06/2013

Well I like Candice and Kree better than Angie and Amber. How about that.

by Anonymousreply 36804/06/2013

They just need to cancel this show. Between the terrible ratings, the worthless judges and the laughable people that reach the Top 3 (like Lazaro), this show has run it's course. And in no way do Nicki or Mariah deserve those outrageous paydays.

by Anonymousreply 36904/06/2013

I can't believe all the Lazaro hate on here. Obviously it's gotta be because he is latino.

by Anonymousreply 37004/06/2013

Yeah that makes perfect sense. That's why so many people here liked Devin because we hate Latinos. I actually thought that Devin would make to the end or at least close to the end. But then I remembered that this is AI not The Voice. Lazaro doesn't have the skill, technique or talent to be a singer.

Being on this particular season makes it much worse for him because the other contenders are much more advanced making him look like a hack. This is the worst season for someone like Lazaro to be on because it exposes his lack of ability. I wish he was good but he isn't. He should try singing in Spanish to show us how he sounds. He may be slightly better in Spanish. Devin was just as good in Spanish as he was in English because he has the necessary skill.

by Anonymousreply 37104/06/2013

r371 Why even argue with the race baiting troll? It's not the first time someone has said that's why people hate Laz. I don't even respond. Some people just won't admit that he sucks. When he goes home, those people will say it's because it's rigged for a girl to win, and that could be true but it doesn't make Laz any less sucky.

by Anonymousreply 37204/06/2013

I think Lazaro should've been gone weeks ago but I would give anything to eat that beautiful fat ass, bend him over, and fuck the stutter out of him.

by Anonymousreply 37304/06/2013

I miss Devin a lot. I wanted to see his performances every week until the end.

I think he did not garner enough audience votes because he wasn't particularly good looking.

He has a different look and a gay look. (he also dressed a bit oddly at times)

And the teen girls voting were not dreaming about him.

His singing abilities are undeniable though. I hope he gets some career opportunities.

I would have given him a less brassy hair color and longer hair.

by Anonymousreply 37404/06/2013

Oh please, anybody with half a brain can see this show is rigged for a girl to win. And the strange thing is, none of these gals can even come close to even a Jordin Sparks.

by Anonymousreply 37504/06/2013

Lazaro should do "Hips Don't Lie"

by Anonymousreply 37604/06/2013

Your next American Idol!

by Anonymousreply 37704/06/2013

Damn, I did take the bait. I usually don't.

Yeah, Devin's hair color wasn't quite right. I'm annoyed that he was voted off so early though. I really hope he gets signed. I liked Burnell's Jazz influenced singing style too. He reminds me a little of John Legend. Niether should have left before Lazaro.

by Anonymousreply 37804/06/2013

VFTW is a legend in their own minds, thinking they have the control over a nation of other voters. GMAFB.

And Lazaro's trou? Are you all babies born in the post-"Sticky Fingers" era? Never saw Jimmy Page, Jim Morrison, or even Tom Jones, FGS?

Lazaro won't have a singing career? And this would differentiate him from 90% of the previous Idolettes and 100% of The Voice contestants how?

All the seers who just "know" the sad and unfortunate demographic voting for Lazaro must've read the whiny little Paul Ryan's and super-Bee-yotch Mitch Romney's Loser Handbook, wherein they attempt to de-legitimize Obama voters.

by Anonymousreply 37904/06/2013

Uh oh it looks like angry grandpa found his way to the DL again. VFTW a legend in their own minds yet every season the worst singer lasts much longer than they should. Look , gramps I know that when you're old and decrepit with few options anything young is hot to you. I understand. Unfortunately, Laz wouldn't let you get anywhere near his girlish figure.

by Anonymousreply 38004/06/2013

Oh and fewer than ten million voters is hardly a nation of voters.

by Anonymousreply 38104/06/2013

I think Devin was good looking in his own individual way.

I didn't mean to imply that he wasn't attractive in his own way. He was.

I would have given him a less brassy blonde color for his hair, longer hair, less shaved on the sides, and made certain his dark roots were not showing.

And I would have dressed him a little bit differently - not a lot different.

by Anonymousreply 38204/06/2013

I didn't mean to imply that Devin is not good looking in his own way.

He is attractive in his own way.

I would give him a less brassy blonde hair color, longer hair, not shaved on the sides, make certain his dark roots are not showing.

I would have also dressed him a bit differently, not a lot, but a bit.

by Anonymousreply 38304/06/2013

I think the show has gone downhill because the cuts toward the end of the "preliminary" rounds have been much more severe than in previous years. Wasn't it last year when they cut from 24 to ten right away. This year it was 40 to 20 to 10. Some of the best singers had ONE less than stellar performance and they were out. Remember when it was 24 contestants to 20 to 16 to 12, then one elimination each week from then on. We had some regularly mediocre contestants who were eventually eliminated while we fell in love with some talented favorites week after week. At this point, the level of talent really doesn't matter. It's a popularity contest, with a VERY strong possibility Lazaro could win the whole thing. I like the kid; I think he's out of his element and ultimately he will suffer from the outcome of the show, one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 38404/06/2013

Faruen are getting angry at the VFTW people, we knew we would have to "think of the children" soon:

"Congratulations VFTW. My hats off to you for your success in distorting someone's reality. I hope your proud of the great success you had making someone that really is a bad singer believe that he is better than he really is. And you are doing it to a special needs person which makes me believe that anyone that agrees with this lunacy actually was/is/or will be a bully in school that picks on the less fortunate. Until it happens to your child than you will have empathy."

Wow, how condescending to call a stutterer a "special needs person". Meanwhile she probably votes for him to make him an inspiration. It doesn't help him to make him stick around either way.

by Anonymousreply 38504/06/2013

I just got sick and tired of the music over powering the vocals. It's really bad with my favorite, Candace. If she not belting out a note, you don't hear her over the music. I like to enjoy her softer tones.

I swear if they can't get it together. They should just have the contestants sing acapella or just have an acoustic thing going.

by Anonymousreply 38604/06/2013

I want Lazaro to win, because he is so terrible. It would piss the 'powers that be' at AI off so much to have a winner with no singing talent, that cannot give interviews because of his stuttering. I actually feel bad for the other guys who have went home. They must be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 38704/06/2013

Winston Churchill, Bruce Willis, King George, James Earl Jones, John Updike, Jorge Borges, Alan Turing are all "special needs" people because they stutter(ed)?

by Anonymousreply 38804/06/2013

r388 I didn't know that Updike stuttered! He was my favorite author and would have been most offended to be called special needs. Yeah, the woman who wrote that is an idiot. Lazarro is the Shamp-yun and I hope he goes all the way.

by Anonymousreply 38904/06/2013

I do kind of hope Lazaro goes all the way. I wonder what the "it's rigged!" idiots would have to say about that.

by Anonymousreply 39004/06/2013

Retardo? Wow, you must have gotten beaten up a lot on the schoolyard. If you didn't, you should have been.

by Anonymousreply 39104/06/2013

R387, I see you have not gone very far in school.

It is 'have gone home' not 'have went home'

by Anonymousreply 39204/06/2013

R390 seems to be a little too invested in the show.

by Anonymousreply 39304/06/2013

LOL, R387. You're wrong for that but it would be kind of funny. I bet they would change some rules if that happened.

by Anonymousreply 39404/06/2013

My grammar is not perfect, but at least I don't repeat myself. Lay off the booze, r392, r382, and r383.

by Anonymousreply 39504/06/2013

[quote]It would piss the 'powers that be' at AI off so much to have a winner with no singing talent

Ha, it would serve them right, since Lazaro shouldn't have even made it past Hollywood Week! They obviously didn't want a bland white dude to win for the sixth time in a row (that's why the white songwriter who ripped his pants was cut before public voting), which is understandable. However, when they attempted to stack the competition in favor of the girls (which they didn't even fucking have to do!) by putting through a collection of mediocre guys, they gave us the most boring season ever. I mean, there's a reason why the show has lost SEVEN MILLION viewers since January.

by Anonymousreply 39604/06/2013

I'm pissed that large Black girl is not getting as much praise as the large white girl.

IMO the Black girl is a way better singer than Cree, she killed SATISFACTION this week, however Cree seems to be getting all the praise.

I don't get it

by Anonymousreply 39704/06/2013

Candice better sing Mary J's "No More Drama" or a a Winehouse song next week or my head is going to explode in frustration. She is so vocally gifted but her song choices are terrible and she is continuing with her Wynonna vibe. Stop it now, Candice. (I think Mariah is going to break the rules and give Candy a call)

I am getting worried that Marie Osmond, er Katy Perry, I mean Angie is going to win.

Candice or Kree is all it should be.

Minaj don't you call Amber Lite a young Whitney Houston again or Mariah or I will cut you. Mariah was Whitney's friend and knows that there will never be another.

Lazaro knew ALL the words to Burnell's swan song, singing away to himself to "Are you Ready for Love" while all around him cried. I can't stand him. Emotionally and musically tone deaf.

by Anonymousreply 39804/06/2013

No one answered my question. Was the judges' Top 3 based on just that week alone or the whole competition?

by Anonymousreply 39904/06/2013

the whole competition, R399

by Anonymousreply 40004/06/2013

Isn't he wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 40104/06/2013

Thanks r400! Damn! That's really messed up. I don't understand. Every week they've been saying how Candace is the best singer in the group, which is absolutely true, and that she brings it with every performance. Why would Keith, Nicki, and Randy dog her like that. Granted Mariah picked her but place her in 3rd place after the two whities. This show has lost about all credibility.

by Anonymousreply 40204/06/2013

I hope so too Laz at r403. You are the only reason I even watch this show anymore, you will always be my shampyun. And your bf is pretty fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 40404/06/2013

R402, I heard it very differently. I believe the judges were simply ranking the top performances for Rock night. That's why Candace was #4 with all but Mariah who put Candice in her top 3. The article below speaks to what was actually being ranked by the judges (and Jimmy).

by Anonymousreply 40504/06/2013

does anyone else find it offensive and racist when nikki repeatedly calls lazaro "ricky ricardo" or "ricky martin?"

I really hate it and it makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 40604/06/2013

That guy is not Laz's bf.

by Anonymousreply 40704/06/2013

I kind of know what you mean R406. But then Amber is called "Whitney Houston" and the country girls get compared to other country singers. It is just a bit more explicit with Lazarro, in part because of his looks and the pompadour.

by Anonymousreply 40804/06/2013

R406, why is that racist and/or offensive?

by Anonymousreply 40904/06/2013

ROTFLMAO@r403!!! That was excellent!

by Anonymousreply 41004/07/2013

Excellent? It was childish and insensitive. Would 403 do that to Lazarro's face? No, because it's childish and insensitive.

by Anonymousreply 41104/07/2013

Lazaro is the only reason to watch this show. All the girls are so damn boring. If he gets booted off, I will stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 41304/07/2013

Cree is good but she bombed and fell flat when doing Aretha's "Don't Play That Song (You Lied)." It's not a song that contestants on shows like this typically do, so it will most definitely be compared to the original and the original can't be touched ( definitely not by Cree). That performance exposed some of Cree's weaknesses. Candace ( and only Candace) could have done that song justice. And Aretha definitely lied when she said she liked it.

by Anonymousreply 41404/07/2013

R403 has me cracking up.

by Anonymousreply 41504/07/2013

R403, you're wickedly evil, lol

by Anonymousreply 41604/07/2013

Lazaro rocks! He is much better than any of the girls.

by Anonymousreply 41704/07/2013

Lazaro for the win. Candace is good but not a star. Lazaro is.

by Anonymousreply 41804/07/2013

LMAO at all the people wanting Lazaro to win when he can't sing worth shit.

by Anonymousreply 41904/07/2013

r419, S-s-s-s-h-u-u-uuu-t th-th-th-thhhhhe fffff-fuck u-u-u-u-UP, B-B-B-B-IIIII-ITCH! -Lazaro My Ass Brings All the Boys to the Yard.

by Anonymousreply 42004/07/2013

Okay, did they ever mention what gift that Casey gave the idols?

[quote]Candice better sing Mary J's "No More Drama" [/quote]

No way! I don't want my girl, Candace set up like that. That song has absolutely no melody to it. Now, she can see Amy Winehouse all day, but I detest that No More Drama song.

by Anonymousreply 42104/08/2013

You are right r421. NO More Urban Riffy drama for Candice. I lost my head and thought it was the voice for a minute. Old Aretha and Simon and Garfunkle tunes are not needed to win on that other show, but we both want the best for Candice on AI. She needs a sweet and souful and big melody. With progression but not the usual modulations, so yeah she could give a Winehouse joint an extra octave that Amy didn't have or Maybe she just do it and sing a Mariah song already. "If it's Over" has melody, gospel influences, and a done wrong broken heart non victim lyric that is musically propulsive.

Candice needs to play on those dark timbres and sad jazz notes of her voice in more melodic songs, that let her stunning voice come to an apex. She also needs to stop singing songs all originally sung by men.

When in doubt and you are as good as Candice is, sing "Ain't no Way" by Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 42204/08/2013

Lazaro seems like a very sweet guy but he is not a brilliant singer. There is no way he deserves to go to the final or even the semi-final.

The Marie Osmond-esque chick gets on my nerves. Her pathetic gyrations in those shorts during her trio performance with the other girls was laughably bad.

The Southern blonde chick and Cree are both decent enough, with Cree being the better singer of the two.

Amber is godawful. I have no idea why they keep telling her she's fabulous. She's flat, she's sharp, she sometimes sings so off-key that I have to mute the tv. It hurts to hear it. Then other times she sings well enough - maybe it's just youth and a lack of training. She's pretty and young and they are pushing her hard. They even contrived that "re-vote" to bring her back from the dead. They picked poor weird Charlie to go up against her knowing he wouldn't pull enough votes to beat her.

Obviously, obviously, obviously - Candice is the best singer and performer - BY FAR. She deserves to win this whole thing. However, that is the kiss of death because no one I ever thought should win this stupid show has actually ever won. I felt terrible for her when Mariah was the only one ballsy enough to put her in their top three. The other three judges named who they were told to name, I'm convinced of it.

They'll use the "one save" to keep Amber if she gets voted off. At this point I am on the "anyone but Amber" bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 42304/08/2013

Great post r423! I totally agree with everything you said. I do believe Keith, Randy, and Ghetto Bitch Nicki was told by Nigel Lythgoe who to select as their Top 3. That's how his ugly ass roll.

by Anonymousreply 42404/08/2013

I can't believe people still watch this shit

by Anonymousreply 42504/08/2013

I can't believe people still come into AI threads to post that they can't believe people still watch this shit.

It's still on - obviously people are still watching it.

by Anonymousreply 42604/08/2013

This show is a joke. The people that vote are retarded and don't care about talent but cuteness and personality. I give La Lazaro credit because he found a way to deal with his issue but come one, he ain't the best singer in this competition. People way much better than him has been voted out and his fat ass is still around. Not fair and ridiculous. Pathetic!

by Anonymousreply 42704/08/2013

And someone give Mariah some Prozac!!!! Most of the time she doesn't know wtf she talking about!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42804/08/2013

Holy shit, Lazaro was horrible!

by Anonymousreply 42904/10/2013

What else is new r429 and yet, I bet you he'll be safe tomorrow. I still think Keith, Nicki, and Randy need to explain why Candace Glover, the best contestant this season, wasn't in their Top 3, especially considering how superb she was AGAIN tonight.

by Anonymousreply 43004/10/2013

What is Mariah on? She can't put two sentences together.

by Anonymousreply 43104/10/2013

Maraih has never been the sharpest knife. The only thing on her mind is how her hair and makeup look.

And Crapzaro has no business on this show.

by Anonymousreply 43204/10/2013

I literally crawled under the couch to hide while Lazarro was singing he was that bad. Poor guy, he really is in depths way over his stuttering head. Still cute, though.

by Anonymousreply 43304/10/2013

Candice gave me chills with her last performance.

by Anonymousreply 43404/10/2013

Yes, r434, Candice is by far the best singer on the show.

by Anonymousreply 43504/10/2013

Candice was good, but for Randy to state that "she gave the best performance of any musical reality show EVER", is plain insane and childish.

by Anonymousreply 43604/10/2013

Amber was extremely average tonight, and did not perform better than Beyonce. Amber looks like a young Naomi Campbell, but the pipes are not there. What on earth are the judges hearing???

by Anonymousreply 43704/10/2013

[quote]Holy shit, Lazaro was horrible!

Will you give me a break? That is not true!

by Anonymousreply 43804/10/2013

I agree r436. I love Candace and I certainly thought her last performance was one of the best ever on Idol but Randy tends to do that crap.

by Anonymousreply 43904/10/2013

Lazaro rocked the house again tonight!

by Anonymousreply 44004/10/2013

I just don't get the love for Amber. There's something about her sound that alternates between being too sharp and just downright flat. She's so overrated.

by Anonymousreply 44104/10/2013

To the I Love Lazaro troll:

After tonight, which was Lazaro at his most horrendous, which is really saying something, you insist on pumping him up then please, by all means, don't let us intelligent DLers stop you from basking in your stupidity and showing it for all the DL world to see.

by Anonymousreply 44204/10/2013

Candice is everything and finally showed most of what she can do. Notice how her contralto voice, with it's rich resonant tone cut through the background music and singers and the generally poor sound on AI.

People who trash American Idol don't understand that these singers, even with production are singing without all of the help that established artists get when they perform on that stage. There is no gloss put on their vocals and no tricks other than amplification and sound mixing. That is why many of them underwhelm, but there are many worse vocalists than Amber or Janelle, who don't sound anywhere near as good as they do with their flaws exposed.

Amber has serious potential to be a boring r&b artist, and Janelle has a very pretty centre to her voice and will be much more welcomed in today's craptastic country music than the superior and far more serious Kree. Janelle is very likeable and her voice is very pretty in a good way. She has pitch issues, and will record terrible gimmicky songs, so I enjoy her singing these classics while I can. She was beautiful on Motown week, with "You keep me hanging On."

Kree will make records and I will buy them, but she won't sell out and start singing nonsense songs. Keith Urban may be correct that she has an all-time great old school pure country music voice and style but that doesn't get you on the radio anymore. If she gets lucky with producers she could become countries Adele and just do it by talent and integrity alone. She is capable and like Adele both warm and mysterious, a little sad. I love her.

Candice has the most beautiful new voice I have heard in a long time. A bit of Sarah Vaughn, some Mary J pain, some legit blue notes, and can Rock and growl and howl like Tina if she wants to- but then so much more, because her voice is rich and powerful with no need for speed or pushing it, and yet she has a very large range and these things don't all come in one package hardly never. The equisite phrasing is her own, with the stamina to go anywhere she wants from note to note and the innate gift to go deep into a song lyrically and tonally, taking her audience somewhere with her. She cast a spell on "Lovesong" She is a contralto but goes far into mezzo soprano territory and can swoop down even into baritone. That is some voice. (Mariah Carey is an alto too, even with those freak high notes, but her voice is much airier...whispery, and her power notes are forced in all of her registers)

Candice can blow the roof off anytime she wants to, but she holds back and lets us hear her amazing tone and subtle vocal play. I love her. She is not small news, y'all.

Angie - Les Miz awaits, Rock of Ages, Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 44304/11/2013

r438 Here ya go, this must be you:

"You're a fucking joke. The producers arrange everything and will intentionally screw up a song so that it sounds bad on air to us. They can tell the sound persons to fuck around or the background singers to throw the main singer off key. Lazaro is a top notch singer. He sings in his church in Naples. He would of never gotten this far if he wasn't OUTSTANDING! He has honest born with talent given to him by our God Almighty. He will win because the angels are looking out for him."

but if you are, there is always this:

"I'm a fucking joke? All you have to do is read what you wrote to see who is the fool here. To hear you blather, everybody is out to sabotage "poor Bizzaro". He will win? Win what? The church pie eating contest? Certainly you're not talking about winning Idol. You can't be that much of a fool. Can you? A top notch singer who can't stay on key nor remember the words? Sings in a church in Naples? Everybody sounds good when surrounded by other singers. So what you are blathering about is that everybody on the show is colluding to ruin Bizzaro's chances by fucking around with the sound, having the background singers throw him off and do everything else to make him sound bad. Is that what you're alluding to? And you don't think that anybody else but you would notice all that?

He is OUTSTANDING? Indeed he is. Oustandingly BAD. He has gotten this far because fools like you vote based on popularity, not on talent."

by Anonymousreply 44404/11/2013

Just in case you missed it, or need to listen again.

Candice Glover

Her version of "Don't Make me Over" was the bomb too. She is a star as sure as Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, Natalie Cole, Nina Simone and Sarah Vaughan were. She don't need to dance.

by Anonymousreply 44504/11/2013

I will listen to your link r445, because you seem like a cool person who is actually into the music. But as a Cure fan form way back (Pornography at least) I hate Lovesong.

by Anonymousreply 44604/11/2013

And r445 you are not one of us because your link won't open here in the US.

by Anonymousreply 44704/11/2013

I like how humble Candice seems to be too. Amber seems full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 44804/11/2013

Even better, either way he will stay around for our entertainment:

"He is mesmerizing, entertaining, and a Great singer with a stuttering/hearing disability. He's doing the best he can given his challenges. For you and others to continue to bully him just empowers us all to continue to vote for him. He is inspirational and I personally loved his version of The Carpenter's song. He really connected with it emotionally IMO. Anywho...he isn't going home tonight so EAT ON THAT."

by Anonymousreply 44904/11/2013

R443 Thank you for your well articulated and educated explanation that breaks down just what we are hearing when we listen to Candice. I don't watch American Idol but I searched out this clip due to your post and it truly moved me.I am at my work computer listening through headphones and I have goosebumps. I appreciate it when someone is able to speak about music in a way that enhances the enjoyment of it.

by Anonymousreply 45004/11/2013

People still watch this shit? Why???

by Anonymousreply 45104/11/2013

r 451= bigshot who deigns to visit the "little people's" threads. He won't say anything of any value, just scoff at all of use for wasting his time on this thread, meanwhile he is the one who dropped by to give his opinion.

by Anonymousreply 45204/11/2013

Yes r444, poor Lazaro is being sabotaged by the producers and musicians and people who write lyrics and music and key changes and things or when two people sing at once!! It's so hard.

He earned his flop sweat this week and did not seem to know what a key change is!!! He is not a singer and no one is pretending he is anymore. Nicki and Mariah covered his ass for too long but last night he was too astoundingly bad to even consider discussing him as a singer. He is not pitchy. He is without pitch. Musically and emotionally tone deaf. Sweat Flop. He will never sing professionally except in a mall parking lot or a gay bar...and not for long.

In my overlong post at r443 what I meant to say about AI musical production when referencing Janelle and Amber, was that there are many FAMOUS vocalists who sing live that would not sound as GOOD as Amber or Janelle do with the basic production that AI provides contestants to expose their gifts and their flaws. That is the idea. You are supposed to be able to sing.

There is not much integrity to the show, but they do not give the contestants reverb or vocal gloss or note adjustments in their sound mixing, to make it a legitimate search for a new singing star. The show started that way and it remains that way. This is why some of us watch AI but skip it's imitators.

They have done it on certain occasions, but they always say so when they do. They did it on hard rock songs one year to get the true anthemic stadium vibe of Queen or Led Zeppelin. They enhanced the contestants vocals for just one night.

The contestants on American Idol sing "naked" as you can get on network TV and that is for better or worse the reason the winners seem and sound so different when they return with their first album.

The songs and AI winner have been produced and packaged by then and they get all the benefits of any star in sound production to make their live vocals sound as much like their record as possible. They have there own sound team and stage production of course.

I don't mean autotune or lip-synching, just sound enhancement and superior sound mixing. Record labels do not let Beyonce or Carrie Underwood sing "bare" on major television. They can both do it, but they don't take the chance.

So Lazaro was not sabotaged, Janelle and Amber had the worst sound production last night, and a demonic voice even appears in the middle of Candice's stunning singing of "lovesong", posted above.

Even if Lazaro makes it through tonight, I predict the judges will save any of the girls from being sent home just to make their point. This silly game is over.

Happy hunting Laz.

by Anonymousreply 45304/11/2013

Hey r443, read my whole post at r444. I'm with you.

by Anonymousreply 45404/11/2013

LOL at the "i love you" demon voice during Candice's last song

by Anonymousreply 45504/11/2013

The only reason Lazaro is still around is because all the hispanics keep voting for him, because they always support "their own" no matter what, even if they suck.

by Anonymousreply 45604/11/2013

This show is dying week after week and this crop of plastic girls were the BEST they could scrounge up? No wonder The Voice and Modern Family is kicking it's ass.

I don't care for Lazro really, but i don't like obvious producer rigging even more. Let's all hope Bucky Beaver and her fake-ass Marie Osmond grin gets given the heave-ho tonight!

by Anonymousreply 45704/11/2013

Lazaro should not have advanced past the Hollywood round. They gave him the nuturing he needed to continue to the round of ten male singers, but the goodwill has backfired in the worst way. Singers with more outstanding natural talents have been sent home. Voters have fallen in love with his backstory and his looks, not his singing abilities, which are tempered by the energy and the oral dexterity needed to overcome the disability.

Lazaro is a great kid. I can't imagine the challenges he has faced to move beyond the disability. But this is a competition to find the person who can articulate a song better than anyone else who tries. If he advances much further, it defeats the premise of six months of collective work by producers, coaches, publicists, designers, technicans, advertisers, talent agents, network staff, the judges, Ryan Seacrest, and everyone else needed to execute this concept and franchise.

It's not his fault. He is doing the best he can. He was abandoned last night by the people who put him in his position. If this was meant to be a feel-good story, they should have thought about ALL of the ramifications. Of course people are going to vote for him. What did they expect?

by Anonymousreply 45804/11/2013

I'm done with this travesty of a show. Obviously, it was completely rigged from the beginning for a girl to win this season and the fact that the 5 left are all girls more than proves it.

by Anonymousreply 45904/11/2013

Lazaro even got the lyrics wrong in his medley song tonight.

by Anonymousreply 46004/11/2013

Lazro will make a great room-service waiter.

by Anonymousreply 46104/12/2013

"Lazro will make a great room-service waiter."

As long as you don't order hot food where the room waiter is required to describe the dish and how it was prepared.

by Anonymousreply 46204/12/2013

Doesn't it seem that maybe Lazaro has a bit of hearing impairment?

He also has memory problems surrounding words and speech, in addition to the stuttering.

His memory problem could, however, be due to stagefright and the sheer terror and fright and fearfulness of being on stage performing in front of millions of TV viewers.

by Anonymousreply 46304/12/2013

I think it is rotten that Burrell got sent home before Lazaro, and that Burrell was forced to sing a rock song and was never given the opportunity in succeeding weeks to remind everyone of what an excellent, unique singer he is with other songs outside of the rock genre where he shines.

by Anonymousreply 46404/12/2013

By pushing Lazaro along, now the judges and the entire American Idol enterprise is stuck with Lazaro on the entire American Idol nation-wide tour.

Lazaro can sound rather good at times - but only at times, not consistently.

by Anonymousreply 46504/12/2013

sorry, 'are stuck'

by Anonymousreply 46604/12/2013

Nigel Lythgoe really needs to go. A Bacharach/David theme night? Really? In 2013?

by Anonymousreply 46704/12/2013

Keith Urban is SO HANDSOME on this show, I find it distracting from the singers and other judges

by Anonymousreply 46804/12/2013

Any rigging was in favor of L-l-lazaro. He came a lot closer than he should have to winning due to his looks and the sympathy vote.

by Anonymousreply 46904/12/2013

Don't nobody say nothing bad about Mariah....

by Anonymousreply 47004/12/2013

The strong feminine attributes of the dudes on Idol this year have led to their demise. The public just couldn't support dudes that were so vividly non-masculine and girly. Adam Lambert had an aggressive masculine edge on Idol as a hard rocker. These guys are just so feminized.

by Anonymousreply 47104/12/2013

Thank you musician at R443. I agree about Kree, but I hope she finds more success than you think she will.

But holy shit, Candice is the real thing. Lovesong was incredible, but it was made more incredible by the fact that she sang a completely different kind of song in the first part of the show and did it equal justice. She has an incredible number of weapons in her arsenal, but she deploys them sparingly, and always in service of her interpretation. I was surprised at the clarity of the notes she sang in her head voice in Don't Make Me Over. And she sang it right along the melody, no over-trying. Just lovely. And then to bring all that sex and soul to Lovesong. It was great. I look forward to whatever she chooses to sing, because I trust she has the intelligence to do it right.

by Anonymousreply 47204/12/2013

Just for fun let's say who we think is going to get the boot next in order.

Mine: Amber Janelle Angie

The final 2: Candace and Kree

The winner: Too hard to say but I'd be happy if either one won. I think both Candace and Kree are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 47304/12/2013

I have to agree...Candace IS AMAZING ! Ive listened to some of her produced stuff online...shes good, but not great...a SMART producer would record her LIVE...thats where she soars, and she could quite arguably become one of the greatest vocalists of our time.

by Anonymousreply 47404/12/2013

Lazaro was robbed by the biased judges and show.I don't believe for one minute that he got the fewest last night.

by Anonymousreply 47504/12/2013

[quote]I think it is rotten that Burrell got sent home before Lazaro

They are both going on the tour and there was no way in Hell Burell was going to win, so what's your point?

[quote]Nigel Lythgoe really needs to go. A Bacharach/David theme night? Really? In 2013?

It's a SINGING competition. You prefer a Jay Z night?

by Anonymousreply 47604/12/2013

R468 i agree completely. i've been somewhat of a fan in the past, but never ever thought he was that hot. seeing him live along with his solid advice and connection to the singers...i'm all about mr keith

by Anonymousreply 47704/12/2013

R477, I went with a friend to a Keith Urban concert about 5 years ago. I sort of knew a couple of his songs but not very well. I've never forgotten that night. He is a fantastic entertainer, has such good energy and is amazing playing the guitar. I love him on Idol too, he has no bullshit 'butch country guy' front and he gives really solid critiques, which are based in knowledge of both music and the music industry. I'm apparently one of the rare few who enjoys Keith, Nikki and Mariah (the women both have their odd moments but overall I enjoy them).

by Anonymousreply 47804/12/2013

It won't matter who wins - at this point you could throw a rock at one of them and declare the winner. AI doesn't produce big acts anymore.

by Anonymousreply 47904/12/2013

I love the way that Nikki smiles at Keith. She's as charmed as we are.

Kelly Clarkson sings yet another "It's OK to be gay" anthem. Yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 48004/12/2013

[quote]The only reason Lazaro is still around is because all the hispanics keep voting for him, because they always support "their own" no matter what, even if they suck.

If that were true, the guy who had the Bob's Big Boy haircut who sang half English half Spanish would still be there instead of being thrown off first.

I can't believe in all these posts no mentioned how no one told Kelly Clarkson in rehearsal that if she performed in blacklight, she looks like an Ommpa Loompa.

by Anonymousreply 48104/12/2013

I thought Bacharach music night was risky for AI and all the singers. Did anyone see on Wednesday night the camera pan to the audience when Kree was singing that really twangy country song? One of the young girls standing at the front of the stage had her finger in her mouth as if she was gagging. That's what was happening across America for a lot of the young viewers. It wasn't the singer, it was the song.

by Anonymousreply 48204/12/2013

Next week's guests are Fantasia & Clay Aiken!!

by Anonymousreply 48304/12/2013

Bacharach wrote some great songs but the melodys are sappy and they do not require great pipes to sing them. It's jingle music.

by Anonymousreply 48404/12/2013

If I'm not mistaken they do a Bachrach night almost every year.

I assume that the pro-Lazaro posts here are jokes, right?

I noticed that some of his pre-interviews were not quite as 'stuttery'. Perhaps as his confidence goes up the stutter goes down? I did feel bad for him when Jimmy said he was 10th out of 6 last night. He stuttered like crazy after that.

by Anonymousreply 48504/12/2013

Candice is so insanely good that I searched for her performances on YouTube and I never do that. Is she really an amateur? It's hard to believe that she isn't a professional singer. Has she ever done any backup for professional singers?

Kree, Amber, and Janelle are very good but Candice is on another level. Her voice is so versatile. She can do Jazz, Soul, R&B, Blues, Rock and just about anything really if she's allowed to. I hope she'll get with the right people who will give her some quality songs. I think she should primarily do Pop friendly Soul and R&B like Adele.

Amber has a great tone that is somewhat reminiscent of young Whitney. A good tone goes a long way and is probably one of the most important vocal characteristics to posses. Ms. Ross is a perfect example of a distinctive and pleasing tone. A beautiful, unique, and pleasing tone can bring you greater success than singers who have greater skill and ability or a wider vocal range.

However, Amber doesn't have the training/experience that Whitney had at her age and I'm not sure she has the once in a lifetime genetic gifts that Whitney had. As one grows older the voice deepens, yet Whitney belted in F#5/F5 in full chest voice well into her 30s. Whitney had insane lungs. That's just too much for Amber to live up to. Amber is packaged and ready to go from the jump, though.

All the girls are very good and hardly seem like amateurs ( well Angie can sound amateur at times but I think she's younger than the others).

by Anonymousreply 48604/12/2013

AMEN r467! I would be more than willing to check out a season of both AMERICAN IDOL and SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE without Nigel Lythgoe. He’s the main reason why both shows SUCK, and quite frankly, always have. AI should be about finding the MOST VERSATILE AND TALENTED SINGER and SYTYCD should be about finding the MOST VERSATILE AND TALENTED DANCER and not about all the other crap like who’s the cutest, hottest, has the saddest back story, physical impairments, or personality. The voting needs to be fixed to reflect both judges and viewers’ votes, similar to DANCING WITH THE STARS. Nigel will not go for that because all he’s concerned about is ratings, ratings, ratings with no trust that maybe, just maybe, actually focusing on selecting the most talented would probably lead to big ratings as well, if not bigger.

He needs to go. I can’t stand that horse face ugly mother fucker.

by Anonymousreply 48704/13/2013

Lazaro has a big career ahead of him performing on cruise ships and dinner theatres.

by Anonymousreply 48804/14/2013

[quote]Nigel Lythgoe really needs to go. A Bacharach/David theme night? Really? In 2013?[/quote]

I agree. Now, I'm a fan of music of most eras, but every year, it Bacharach/David, enough.

Besides, why should AI have to do a theme night at all. Why not loosen up and let the singers do what they want?

by Anonymousreply 48904/14/2013

Candice did so well because she picked a really cool song for AI. The problem with AI is the fucking same old karaoke songs. The Cure was a really great unusually choice for AI. they need to pick more left-field songs, songs that are not associated with AI. That is how they can revitalize the show.

Have the same old themes and the same songs every year is just getting unbelievably boring. They indie week.

by Anonymousreply 49004/14/2013

This, Angie, is how you sing "Anyone Who Had a Heart"

by Anonymousreply 49104/14/2013

yes r491, I love that song and Wynonna sang it sweet and painful. Thanks.

In the same spirit, this is a message for Amber (and crazy ass Nicki Minaj). You ain't now and never will be Whitney Houston.

Amber breaks a bit of hearts for just even reminding us a bit of Whitney. But young Whitney sounded and sang like this.

Whitney became even greater later, but she started out like a gorgeous sweet soulful pure angel.

Amber is not Whitney. There is no other Whitney.

Jessica Sanchez tried it, Charice can hit some notes, Jennifer Hudson imitated Whitney's style from the start, but there is never gonna be a match for THAT voice.

I like you Amber, you are pretty and have a sweet tone and some mad skills, but give up the Whitney stuff. False promises hurt people. Ha.

"Saving all my Love for You"

(the video is a bit gritty but her voice is bliss)

by Anonymousreply 49204/14/2013

What do these judges see in Amber. I just don't get it. She's starting to become one of the most overrated AI contestants ever. Not only does her singing range from too sharp to just flat out, well, flat but her appearance comes off like Ghetto hoochie. Quite frankly, I hope she's the next to go.

by Anonymousreply 49304/14/2013

Angie is the one who is over rated right now...something about her makes me want to slap her.

by Anonymousreply 49404/14/2013

Why would they want to have that hideous creature Frankentasia back on again?

by Anonymousreply 49504/14/2013

I don't like Angie either. Her face and buck teeth annoy me.

by Anonymousreply 49604/14/2013

I see that Ryan is now saying that Jennifer Hudson is the one also-ran who most deserved to win. Maybe they already have the Fantasia performance in the can.

by Anonymousreply 49704/14/2013

I feel you r495. She still does that taking a shit squat thing whenever she sings and I'm just not looking forward to seeing that.

by Anonymousreply 49804/14/2013

Ryan seems smitten with Keith.

by Anonymousreply 49904/14/2013

Who wouldn't r499? Keith is adorable. Too bad he has to sit next to that Ghetto troll. He's too beautiful to have to sit next to something as ugly as that. They should have Mariah and that Living Island escapee switch places.

by Anonymousreply 50004/14/2013

R491, or Wynonna fans in general, does she always sing with her eyes closed? It was a bit weird.

I've said it before on this thread and I'll say it again - Candice is BY FAR the best singer on AI this season (and probably for several seasons). She's just that good.

I don't know why some people are all freaked out about the show picking female singers who can beat all the male singers. In years past they've picked male singers who could beat all the female singers. It's a tv show, of course it's manipulated. It's always been manipulated.

Thank the lord that poor Lazaro's weekly, sweaty torture is over. I'm ready for "young whitney" to hit the road with her mediocre singing but they will a) use the save if she goes this week and b) try to maneuver other singers off before Amber goes.

by Anonymousreply 50104/14/2013

I think after the 5th week they cant use the save anymore. It doesnt really matter...Candace and Kree should be the finalists, but it will end up as Angie and someone else.

by Anonymousreply 50204/14/2013

Is the save sill in play? If so, is it only available through the top 5?

by Anonymousreply 50304/14/2013

So the contestants left, and the one who will win, are Mariah and Nicki clones, at least in musical style.

Hmmm. Rock, country, disco, alternative and blues didn't have a chance this year.

by Anonymousreply 50404/14/2013

Glad they are having Clay back on but wtf is he going to sing? He hasn't had new material in ages!

by Anonymousreply 50504/14/2013

He's going to release his new single Big Ten Inch Record.

by Anonymousreply 50604/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 50704/14/2013

I think Ryan should do a link while sitting on Kieth's lap.

by Anonymousreply 50804/15/2013

Is anyone going to keep watching now that it's become a gashfest?

by Anonymousreply 50904/15/2013

I have a feeling that Angie, who's from Beverly, Massachusetts, will write and perform a song about the Boston Marathon bombing. And it'll be great. And she'll win the whole enchilada, as a result. Sorry, Candace and Kree.

by Anonymousreply 51004/15/2013

Did Angie sing her song about the Boston bombings yet?

by Anonymousreply 51104/17/2013

Not a fan of Amber's but good God, her rendition of that Barbra Streisand song was like buttah. Fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 51204/17/2013

[quote]I have a feeling that Angie, who's from Beverly, Massachusetts, will write and perform a song about the Boston Marathon bombing. And it'll be great. And she'll win the whole enchilada, as a result. Sorry, Candace and Kree.

It's pretty much Candice to win or lose. Angie isn't as half as good as the other girls.

by Anonymousreply 51304/17/2013

I think it's going to come down to Candice and Kree. I think they're both amazingly talented but I'm hoping Candice wins. But honestly either one could win and I'd be happy. I think Amber or Janelle will go next.

by Anonymousreply 51404/17/2013

Candce was flawless as were Kree and Amber. Janelle will go home. Angie, although good, is HIGHLY overated. Theres a fine line between confidence and arrogance and Angie crosses it every time she performs. Someone really needs to knock her Miley Cyrus looking mug down a few pegs.

by Anonymousreply 51504/17/2013

Is Jimmy trying to intentionally turn votes against Candice. He was being his usual dumb bitchy self with his “critiques”. For the record, all the judges, except for Mariah who did include Candice in her top 3 two weeks ago, have in one way or another made amends to Candice for that slight. Jimmy has yet to do that. He’s such a tool.

by Anonymousreply 51604/17/2013

I don't find Angie arrogant at all, but I agree she's not as good as Candice or Kree.

by Anonymousreply 51704/17/2013

That Jimmy Iovine guy is fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 51804/17/2013

This is the lost season, no reason to watch till next year.

by Anonymousreply 51904/18/2013

Seeing Paula Abdul come on stage tonight to praise Candice reminds me how far this show has fallen.

Paula was considered a nutty incoherent mess who was too polite to be overly critical. She was accused of trying to help singers with their song choices. She engaged, joked, flirted and argued with all the other judges and never once came across as a bitch or a trashy self serving C.

Sometimes she was in her coca cola cups and sometimes she may have been hallucinating, BUT she was 10 times more articulate than Mariah Carey and did not only speak of her own "feelings" about the singer or how they looked, but could dissect their singing as well on occasion. Hear that Minaj.

The judges are horrible and this game of Nicki's is getting old. "MY Kree, My marshmallow, wear my MAC pink lipstick Amber, This is what the world needs, you are everything right now"....she is sometimes in her instinctive way on point, but I don't believe she is there but to hear herself speak and sit with the grown-ups at the table. Common knowledge that it is queen Mariah who stays after and talks to the contestants, while Nicki is twittering in her own universe.

This FOXy drama has not helped this show a bit, and they have the best singer they have had in many years in Candice, if not the best ever.

This gets overshadowed by the lady judges talking entirely too much and without much erudition about how they "feel" about the singers or their performances with no where near enough discussion of their actual singing. Mariah, you can only say "that was beyond", so many fuckin times. You have a five octave range(had)and can do just about any vocal trick in the book, but you cannot articulate anything about the technique of singing? Big disappointment. Nicki Minaj will be on some reality looking-for-love show within 5 years. She is the next Flava Fake. She is trashy y'all. She talks a good game, but it is all game.

Keith and Randy pull the train and the ladies pull their hair.

Fantasia was her old self tonight. That one of a kind voice that manages to evoke deep soul Gladys Knight, Aretha vocal soars, and some Diana Ross silvery syncopation. Don't push too hard Fantasia and you are still magic.

Idol misuses people terribly, right Kelly Clarkson? Adam Lambert, Crystal Bowersox, David Archuleta, Haley Reinhart....

The public is going to crown you Candice. Been a long time coming, but Paula is right. The people are getting it right this time, no matter how much more marketable Amber is or how well Kreedom sings. Candice's voice will not be denied. That is a voice that people hear in their head long after the lights go down and Nicki's wig, nails and viper smile come off.

Cheers to Paula, Fantasia, and Candice. Reminds us how it used to be.....

by Anonymousreply 52004/19/2013

Poor Paula must be desperate for attention to make an appearance on the same show that tossed her out on her ass for simply asking to be paid more. Funny thing is that she was making way less than what Nicki and Mariah are getting paid in their first (and hopefully last) season, and the ratings were higher when Paula was on.

Get some dignity Paula!

by Anonymousreply 52104/19/2013

I guess I wasn't the only one cringing with embarrassment and pity when Paula came out tonight. The worst part of the whole thing was when she sat in the chair at the judges table. You know she desperately wants her old job back. I felt humiliated for her!

It would be different if she was actually doing something significant with her life or had some success after the show. There she stood pitiful Paula fired from both American Idol and Xfactor. Well, at least she looked good.

by Anonymousreply 52204/19/2013

R522 Exactly!

I understand that after years on the show that she wanted more money, but when you think about it, her career had been dormant for years when she got the AI gig, and the show not only brought her back into the spotlight, but was giving her the kind of paycheck that she hadn't seen since the early 90's. IIRC, she was getting paid $3 million a season - do you know how many has-beens from the 80's would love to be making that kind of money again?

At the end of the day, she pulled a Shelly Long, and thought she could do better elsewhere. Big mistake. First she got her own dance competition show that was a total flop and cancelled after one season, then she was on X-Factor and was fired after one season. She's really got to be regretting having left AI in the first place because she hasn't got anything going on now. And to see her crawling back to make an appearance on the same show that treated her like shit just reeks of desperation and it's sad to watch.

Sometimes it's best to just walk away and keep your dignity rather than look desperate.

by Anonymousreply 52304/19/2013

[quote]The public is going to crown you Candice.

r520, from your post to God's PC. I hope you're right. Candice, in my opinion, is definitely one of the best singers in AI history but you know how stupid this AI voting majority bloc is. If it comes down to Candice and Kree, I have this horrible feeling that Kree will win this. Don't get me wrong. Candice certainly deserves to win this but you know how this show, and Nigel Lythgoe (let's just put it out there) is.

by Anonymousreply 52404/19/2013

Candice is for sure one of the best contestants the show has ever had. Her voice is so complete that it's hard to believe that she's an amatuer. AI has had some very good singers in the past but most had room for improvement and they improved a great deal after the show. However, I can't imagine that Candice can get any better, she doesn't have any weaknesses. I'm sure they'll force her to lose some weight ( even Adele was losing weight before her pregnancy) but her voice is already there.

And GOOD LORD, Amber's interpretation of that Streisand song was exceptional! Janelle has nothing to worry about. I imagine that she will do quite well in country music. I love her tone. Kree will also do very well. Angie did a great job on Beyonce's song, which are difficult songs to sing if you attempt to sing them like her and not change it up. I hope they keep these judges next year (expecially Keith and Mariah) they really know what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 52504/19/2013

[quote]I hope they keep these judges next year (expecially Keith and Mariah) they really know what they're doing.

r525, I would love to see Keith and Mariah come back but Ghetto Bitch Nicki Minaj has GOT TO GO. She's the low point of the show right now.

by Anonymousreply 52604/19/2013

I love Nicki's critiques but she does look like she stepped out of that 70's X-rated cartoon Fritz The Cat.

by Anonymousreply 52704/19/2013

ROTF@r527! That's a great description but I really hate her critiques.

by Anonymousreply 52804/19/2013

I actually like the judges this year. Keith is earnest, but he will be critical. I don't get anybody who hates Minaj. She's usually spot on and at the very least is incredibly passionate about her critiques. I find myself liking Mariah more than I thought I would, I just wish she would actually talk more about the craft/art of singing. She's in the Pantheon of great singers and I wish she'd use that status to breakdown what it takes to become a legend. But it is nice to finally have the "pop star" on a singing competition actually have a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 52904/19/2013

Wow, last night's episode was beat by a repeat of The Big Bang Theory. A fucking RE-RUN!

by Anonymousreply 53004/19/2013

I hate the way Mariah talks when giving her critique. It's just so annoying when she says "darling." It sounds so fake and ridiculous. And also when Nicki was talking in the British accent. Do they realize how stupid they sound?

I say bring back Randy and Keith next year but get rid of Mariah and Nicki. I don't even know what a talentless person like Nicki is doing there in the first place.

I hope Candice wins. She's amazing!

by Anonymousreply 53104/19/2013

In all the seasons I have watched American Idol I have ALWAYS sided with the singer who was the strongest vocally. After Phil fucking Phillips won last year I had no intention of ever watching again but this year the girls have been to good to ignore. Now that being said I KNOW that Candice is unquestionably the best singer this year and one of the best they've ever and she certainly deserves to win. However,to me,she has no personal magnetism.

I think Angie is the closest this show has ever gotten to having the ultimate combination of talent,stage presence and beauty in one performer. When she dramatically sang "Halo"(a song I've never liked until now) with her big,bouncy haired,cut eye crease,young Jane Fonda Barbarella realness I knew I was looking at a STAR, baby!

by Anonymousreply 53204/20/2013

I see the student surpasses the teacher. At last we disagree. No, just no to Minaj. Mariah is sweet to the contestants in a noblesse oblige way and she knows who is good, but can't articulate WHY some one is great or where they fall short or how to improve. The only break down she gives is to her extensions. She simpers her way through. Not impressed.

The judges, save Keith, suck and bring this sinking ship further down. You think Aguilera could not speak intelligently about the mechanics of singing? She can. So could Jennifer Lopez and she can't even sing. Mariah is the biggest DIVA superstar to ever grace one of these panels and it shows. She appears to be on Toddlers and Tiaras with her tiny claps and invisible crown.

Sorry, grasshopper:)

Candice is gonna win. Too much fuckery creates a cacophonous vacuum and her voice resonates through it all. Her victory would be a sweet swan song for this lost show. That girl knows where to go. She doesn't need the crown either. Wait and see. I am never wrong about these things.

by Anonymousreply 53304/20/2013

[quote]Wow, last night's episode was beat by a repeat of The Big Bang Theory. A fucking RE-RUN!

Just goes to show how out-of-date this show is. It's all about The Voice now.

by Anonymousreply 53404/20/2013

I hope this link opens for y'all south of here. It is a backstage interview with Candice the night she sang "Love Song".

She knows what she is doing and it is a pity that the intelligence on this show is behind the scenes. The contestants are all so scared to be themselves and the judges don't know what they are doing. (Randy does actually, but he has seen the bad impossible happen too many times.)

Candice has plenty of personality. She has begun to show it. She is going to blow the roof off that place in the next three weeks. Look in her eye as she answers these questions. She knows what to do. I sound like a troll but I am not. I have researched her, she wasn't born sounding that good and was not as great a year ago. She has a superb instrument and she has been working very hard. She can play anything on it now. She is ready. Hers is a once in a generation voice. Wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 53504/20/2013

I have to say the weeks show was bad, really bad. It was boring bland karaoke. The need better more original songs. It the same songs sung very year in the same way. It's 2013, AI should start acting like it.

by Anonymousreply 53604/20/2013

No one has mentioned Clay Aiken. Well, I got to say he is not aging well. Looks like he's losing his hair and what the hell happened to his voice? It's not the same as I remembered when he was on the show.

I can't stand Fantasia so I just fast forwarded her.

by Anonymousreply 53704/23/2013

So is this why Nicki suddenly started saying nice things about Mariah last week?

by Anonymousreply 53804/23/2013

I get weary of being correct. I try to tell without preaching but yeah I lecture a bit.

Lopez worked at being a judge. She brushed up on things and had things to say. Educated herself. She is nothing if not ambitious and has worked hard at everything she has done in her career.

Mariah Carey is not only lazy as a judge, she completely gave up her singing voice and what made her a phenon when she started. She did not give it up recently. This is well known. She doesn't know anything about singing and after her stardom was established and she was the wife of the record company, she coasted in luxury. After the divorce, she got new tits and stopped singing. My friend who has worked with her says that she is the only singer who has consciously changed her style and material to make it easier for her and chose to evolve backwards.

She did not tour much, had to prove her vocals and did it only once on unplugged. She devolved into the whispery urban tracks with the whistle notes thrown in. She has no knowledge of music history outside of her immediate exposure and mistook Edith Piaf for Edith Bunker. No Joke.

She is an empress without clothes. Why be impressed that she can cry over her favourite singer? She is emotionally about 24 and expects her way to be the only way. That is why Minaj has thrown her off, in addition to the death threat. Minaj speaks with the authority of someone who at least is listening and thinks that she has worthwhile things to say.

I know this. Some y'all are impressed that Mariah hasn't said "let them eat cake." She has been terrible. Self indulgent. Touching her hair and her body and waving her wand. Stupid woman. She will be replaced.

Troll-dar me from the start of this thread and see that I said that Lopez was the most articulate judge that AI has ever had about the technique of singing. She did her homework. (She is also glamourous and gorgeous) She wasn't fired.

Mariah will be fired and Minaj for all the wrong reasons will not be. Nicki is at least batty boy chatty, even if she is a fake dark self-serving force. Horrible person. Good TV I guess.

by Anonymousreply 53904/24/2013

[quote]I love Nicki's critiques but she does look like she stepped out of that 70's X-rated cartoon Fritz The Cat.

She looks so fake.

by Anonymousreply 54004/24/2013

Honey, please. Mariah could teach JHo a thing or two and then 5 more things, she just doesn't want to get too technical for the average viewer or seem like she's showing off. Mariah's mother was an opera singer and vocal coach who taught her from childhood, for you to say she "doesn't know anything about singing" makes you lose any credibility to say that about someone who is widely considered to have one of the most impressive voices. Ever.

And how the fuck do you know what her knowledge of musical history is? She grew up constantly listening to the radio and has continued doing that and makes references to many older songs while judging. She has done duets with everyone from Pavarotti to Ol' Dirty Bastard. Who the fuck else has the range to pull that off? Yes, her voice has deteriorated, but it's coming back these past few years.

This is from earlier this year. I'd rather listen to Mariah than Jho any day.

by Anonymousreply 54104/24/2013

Nicki Minaj is a straight up unattractive ghetto bitch with one of the most annoying speaking voices I've ever heard. I would much prefer Mariah over Nicki because say what you will, and yes Mariah could be a little more articulate but she's way more articulate than Ghetto Bitch Minaj and knows what she's talking about.

Seriously, whether Mariah stays or not, if Nicki comes back, I'm not watching. I can't handle another season of Minaj. I can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 54204/24/2013

They need to bring back Lazaro, and all will be well.

by Anonymousreply 54304/24/2013

Canadian prof, I hear what you're saying. I just find I like Mariah more than I thought I would. I thought I would loathe her as a person, but don't. She seems slightly immature, a little out of touch, but harmless. And if it's as you say and she doesn't actually know the technique of singing, I guess it makes since why I haven't heard her, um, critique the singers much.

And I like Minah. I just do. She's aggressive and cartoony for sure, but I feel she really cares about the contestants, doesn't decide before hearing the songs whether she's going to like the performance and is passionate about the process. That goes a long for me. The ghetto affect? Meh. I can get past it. Grew up on the mean streets of LA. Not a big deal.

Keith is fine. You always need a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 54404/24/2013

Anybody who would say that Mariah doesn't know anything about singing and that J-Lo articulated the technique of singing while on the show is a complete joke and loses all credibility. J-Lo doesn't know a thing about singing and it shows. Not just in her own vocal performance but in her comments while on the show. She could never give contestants specific advice. All of her comments were filled gushy, everybody is a winner, you get a blue ribbon and a gold star too BS, so much so that viewers began to complain.

Yet Mariah is aware of every improvised run, every key change ( with the band and with the vocalist), when the key is supposed to be changed, aware of even slight pitch problems, correct songs for a particular vocalist... yet she knows nothing about singing while J-lo who never did any of that, does? And I'm not even a huge Mariah fan, I prefer other vocalist, but to say that she doesn't know anything about singing is a complete and utter joke. The quality of the contestants this year speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 54504/24/2013

My boyfriend, correction - married partner is also from Trinidad by way of NYC.(like Minaj) I lived in New York for ten years and that is where our love commenced. He is a babe of course and like me cannot stand Nicki Minaj.

I have nothing against ghetto. My objection to Minaj is her character. All I will say.

For r541, where did I say that J. Lopez is a better singer than Carey? Don't get frayed.

I know what I know and I think that even to non music people it should be clear now that Mariah doesn't know nothing about singing. I am aware that her mother was an opera singer and that she is cognizant of songs and artists that she likes. She had a natural gift.

For 15 years and long before American Idol I have discussed with my students that Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera have great voices but know nothing about singing. I don't say it for effect. It is true. They both have terrible technique and ruined their voices before they were thirty years old. If you were trained in voice and music it is not disputable. Mariah could do freaky wild instinctive things with her voice but has never learned how to sing and as soon as she reached superstar status she didn't even try. I can dissect this in detail as can just about any singer who has ever had a lesson.

This does not apply to Whitney Houston. Whitney could sing an aria for real. And when her life and voice were a memory she still knew how to work with what was left and gave all she had to give. She used mostly good technique and had a tone that remained even when her range diminished. Some of it, and only some was retrievable. Vocal damage takes many forms. Adele sounded better with her vocal pockets than she does post surgery to correct them, but long term she will be better. She sings correctly.

Mariah can never be called a joke with her huge success but even Aguilera is a better singer. There are actually parts of Carey's voice that are missing and they are not the top notes either. I am gettin bitchy, so let's just say that I believe that she is phony, but a real phony. She is trying her best. I don't think she is a good judge, but she has been breathing rare air for so long in luxury that she has been exposed unkindly in the light of AI. Not as bad as I thought she would be is faint praise, no?

by Anonymousreply 54604/24/2013

R545, she may know tons about singing. I was hoping for her to really get technical about different sorts of voices doing different sorts of things. I couldn't wait. As the Canada Prof will attest, I'm learning all about singing as an art form, and though Mariah isn't someone I've ever followed, I know she, at one point, could really sing. But she's disappointed me. Even I CAN hear a key change! That doesn't mean anything.

I didn't watch when JLo was the judge, so I can't attest to her efficacy one way or another. I will so that often those that can't do, can teach. So just because JLo doesn't have a great voice, doesn't mean she couldn't coach or instruct someone who does or could have a great voice.

But I expected a lot more from Mariah. As I would Celine or Barbra or Whitney or whoever has big, bold, dynamic voices.

by Anonymousreply 54704/24/2013

[quote]Mariah will be fired and Minaj for all the wrong reasons will not be. Nicki is at least batty boy chatty, even if she is a fake dark self-serving force. Horrible person. Good TV I guess

Nicki is the reason people are fleeing in droves from that show. Mariah is harmless but dull. I suppose they want to fire her for the same reason they fired Britney. inarticulate.

They need to make a complete overhaul and being back only three judges. It's boring to listen to four boring critiques.

by Anonymousreply 54804/24/2013

[R547], I explained why J-LO is not anywhere near Mariah in knowledge of singing technique. If she is, she sure kept it a secret while on the show. This is when I have to remind myself that a lot of people pretend to be things that they really aren't on the DL. And anyone who would say Mariah knows nothing about singing is a pretender. And I have a strong feeling that you are too. And I doubt that you can identify muc

by Anonymousreply 54904/24/2013

Please don't turn this thread into a big brawl. It makes other posters less likely to post. We all have our opinions. I happen to think Mariah is very knowledgeable about music and singing and we've seen glimpses of that knowledge on the show ( I also think the contestants we have this year are a result of that knowledge as well as Keith and maybe Nicki). However, I think she struggles with articulating in a way that people with less knowledge will understand. You can see that she's trying not to sound too technical because she wants to be understood. However, everyone perceives things differently. There's no need to get upset about it, it's just a show.

by Anonymousreply 55004/24/2013

From my friends blog....not as kind as I am.

Which leads me to Mariah. Before some of you queens get all defensive, let me say for the record, I liked Mariah at the beginning—the Vision of Love and Unplugged era. Who didn’t? The Long Island lark had some great early singles, a big, expressive voice, and—though it seems odd from this vantage point—a quality of sweetness to her (or at least the illusion of sweetness). Then she went nuts: married Tommy Mottola, blew out her hair, got all hoody and—in what may be the first-ever case of “crossing over” in the wrong direction—went from singing pop songs that everyone loved to essentially being a guest vocalist on her own records whispering unmemorable hooks over hip hop beats. Leave it to Mariah: while most folks strive to broaden their fan base, she went backwards!Something else happened around the time of Mariah’s latent self-blacksploitation: she seemed to be losing her voice—whole sections of it! First I thought it was a bad day or off-performance, but certain problems seemed to consistently present themselves: persistent hoarseness, the inability to sing softly with tone and, most distressingly, the loss of all of her top notes (the belting ones, not the freaky whistle notes that only dogs can hear—those she kept).

Eventually, I realized that her painful, scorched earth vocal sound wasn’t a stylistic choice but the result of vocal damage and that she never sang live anymore without a huge choir filling in the blanks. Most depressingly, friends of mine who were sound people, told me of her predilection when performing “live” to actually only sing certain lines of a song—the ones that were still available to her and less intimidating—and lip sync the more challenging stuff. It’s a little depressing to always see the “man behind the curtain,” but that’s what happens when you know the sound man.

You would think that if you were Mariah Carey and you were having vocal trouble, you would get help from a coach and a doctor, right? But that requires work and Mariah, never the studious type, is nothing if not lazy. I remember when I worked for Diane Warren, Carey came up to the studio for a few days to work on some song for Rainbow and there were two things that happened that were big red flags. First, Mariah lazed around on the sofa in the lounge (she loved to lounge) while her friend and background singer, Trey Lorenz, was in the studio singing all the guide vocals and runs for her to copy. Though not uncommon these days, it’s not a good sign when someone who is referred to as an important singer of great aptitude needs another singer to feed them the licks; it reflects either a lack of imagination, a lack of skill, or a lack of interest, (or some combination of the three, any of which are not qualities frequently associated with mentoring.)

The second red flag was when I tried to have a conversation with Mariah about her musical influences and she looked at me blankly, as if I had asked her to explain how electricity works. For some reason I brought up the subject of Edith Piaf, at which she scrunched her face up and said “I don’t know who that is, are you sure you don’t mean Edith Bunker (referring to Jean Stapleton’s character in All In The Family) and then exploded in peals of laughter like she had just told me something humorous.

It surprised me that Mariah didn’t know who Edith Piaf was and didn’t seem curious to find out, but it shouldn’t have. Fortunately for Carey, the tabloid age had arrived, thus ensuring that although she had lost her voice, she had retained her status as a celebrity and, for American Idol, that’s the only thing that matters. She’ll do well on the show because of the perverse logic of reality TV: the worse you do, the more you succeed. She can’t fail! Reality TV may be the only world where if you show up drunk and act like an eighth grader, you’re considered a winner and make more money. So what if she has nothing to say?

by Anonymousreply 55104/24/2013

Forgive me if I don't instantly believe some copy/paste, blog passage without a citation or link to who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 55204/24/2013

I have my own credibility. I am not interested in impressing you.

In life and on DL many people have problems with those who speak with authority.

We are not in group therapy. I refuse to preface my thoughts with "in my opinion."

Believe what you like. I have posted on many music threads here and I love singers. I have posted some great Mariah Carey live performances too, in defense of what she once could do.

But this is not You Tube and I don't really care about that, as long as Candice is heard. Something that Mariah cares about too. She has good taste about that girl, but that girl's vocal genius is there for anyone who has ears.

A brawl? Hell no. Educated truth will not change illusion and we all have our favourite sounds.

I am a kick ass guy. I expect excellence. That is my training and reality. I do not withhold praise but never bow to common misconceptions.

Feel what you want, doubt as you like.

by Anonymousreply 55304/24/2013

I don't understand why they are so obsessed with 90s R'n'B?

by Anonymousreply 55404/24/2013

The reason the show is in the toilet, is not due to the judges.

It's due to the premise of the show. You have people stand and sing, usually old songs.

Now, I LOVE old songs, but not Burt Bacarat.

Anyway, they need to do something like the voice and have battle rounds.

However, they can't have that, because it would be copying. Yet, they need something.

by Anonymousreply 55504/25/2013

Wednesday's show sucked.

Candice is sick and her voice is tired. Her song choices were not stellar.

Kree has misplaced her good taste and instincts in attempting to win.

Amber is over praised and was terrible on MacArthur Park, but not according to the judges? The fix is in but it ain't gonna work.

Angie was the best and that makes for a bad night.

"Cry me a River" is not a one hit wonder. It's been recorded by every major pop and jazz vocalist of the last 50 years. WTF?

Let Candice sing that song and you've got something, sick or not.

Mariah used the words "range" and "low notes", once again displaying her vast knowledge of singing terms and techniques.

Jimmy Iovine keeps trying to keep it real.

Keith is still a babe and trying to raise the conversation.

Bad night, bad show.

Kree or Amber goes.

Kree has already been dismissed by Minaj.

Nicki is of course a musical genius in addition to being a great role model, judge and mentor.

"Stupid Ho" (see link below)

by Anonymousreply 55604/25/2013

I didn't understand a lot of the song choices tonight. All of the girls are very good singers, I mean, I think that's a given. However, the song choices and overall performances fell flat. I thought one hit wonder night would be fun, the girls had such a range of songs to pick from but still made some poor choices. There was nothing fun or exciting about the performances. Amber did a good job with the Celine song, Angie was very good both times, well again, they were all good but tonight's show fell flat.

by Anonymousreply 55704/25/2013

Get rid of all 4 judges, and besides 3 judges work better anyway.

Pick 3 cool, knowledgeable, acclaimed and respected people to judge.

Drop the shouting in tone vocals. And stop lauding so many mediocre performances, trash the sob stories, trash the out-dated karaoke songs and trash the stylist, they look like kids hangout out at a wallmart.

Basically it needs a massive injection of coolness.

by Anonymousreply 55804/25/2013

AI is now experiencing viewer fatigue. Nothing can reverse that anymore. It has peaked and has been on a downhill slide for years now and will be again next year.

It will probably be canceled in 2 - 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 55904/25/2013

There is no reason to replace Keith Urban. He's knowledgeable, credible, warm, supportive (as appropriate), on-point in his critiques and fine as hell.

Nikki and Mariah are obviously polarizing, as demonstrated above, but I like them both. I know Nikki is assertive, but she's so often absolutely correct with her assessments, and frequently funny, so it kind of puzzles me when people dislike her so vehemently.

Angie and Amber were the best 2 last night. I love Candice but have not cared for any of her selections since 'Love Song' a couple weeks ago.

I think Kree can sing very well. She seems like a lovely, intelligent person and I'm sure she could/will have a fine recording career. But she's a little blah and granola 70's for my personal taste.

I'm apparently one of the few here who roots for Amber. For being only 18, I find her performances of 'My Funny Valentine' and 'What are You Doing the Rest of Your Life' remarkable. With good training the next few years, I think she can be a really fine singer when she's 24 years old. But she's just too much of a young Bambi doe as of yet.

Somebody called it above, Angie has star quality in spades and she's delivering one really strong performance after another lately. I think she's AI's best bet to churn out a string of chart-toppers ala Kelly Clarkson. I would put her in the final with Candice. I'll be thrilled for Candice if she wins, but I don't know how broad her appeal is after the show.

by Anonymousreply 56004/25/2013

None of the girls have the potential to have a career outside of the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 56104/25/2013

This is some racist bullshit. Cree sucked last night, and Angie is marginally better. I thought they were the bottom two for sure. I will never watch this bullshit again. I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 56204/25/2013

Only in America could an audience tolerate Angie's hair. Looks like all those yearbook photos the rest of the world just don't get.

by Anonymousreply 56304/25/2013

I like Angie.

by Anonymousreply 56404/25/2013

Angie's hair looks really good straight, as it was this week.

by Anonymousreply 56504/25/2013

I was actually glad that Amber was in the bottom 2 because she's overrated and the judges, especially Nicki, keep overpraising her. I knew Kree was going to be okay because of the way the judges came for her, especially, wait for it, NICKI. You see the pattern here. NICKI HAS TO GO!

I'm just sorry that Candice, the other black contestant (keeping it real) got dragged to the bottom 2 with Amber.

Most of us know that Candice is the best contestant and deserves to win but I've reached the conclusion that she isn't going to win because hey, it's American Idol.

by Anonymousreply 56604/25/2013

Amber, is just a voice for hire. She is wedding signer, a cruise ship signer.

Angie to me highlighted everything that is wrong with Idol, she took a Jesse J song and made it sound really dated and lame. Everything about her version screamed flyover frau. I can image her fans all wearing scrunches, elasticated waistband jeans and baggy Mickey Mouse sweatshirts.

Candice is a lounge singer. There are 100s of equally good signers belting out mediocre, over sung versions of songs at the run of the mill tinkling piano in cocktail bars all over the South.

Kree is good, she has the potential to make an awesome album, sorta Neko Case, Lucinda Williams vibe but she is screwing it up with woeful songs choices.

by Anonymousreply 56704/26/2013

duh...singer, I can spell honest, bt my keypad is dyslexic.

by Anonymousreply 56804/26/2013

Candice is hardly a lounge singer. From a technical perspective she's the best this show has ever had(singers with a lower, upper, and mid register and belting range like that aren't going to be in anyone's lounge) I don't think I need to go into great detail as to why since those reasons should be obvious even to those without a trained ear. If anything, Kree is a lounge singer. She's good, but the only reason she'll have any success is because she's a country singer. Country fans aren't too picky about where their talent/singers come from. Talent shows are perfectly fine with country fans since most watch them.

by Anonymousreply 56904/26/2013

The show is shit, dated bland R&B and redneck country. The day they have a signer the quality of Cat power, Tracey Thorn, Sinead O'Connor, Sharon Van Etten or Natasha Khan is the day it might be a relevant music show.

Here is the sorta performance they should be looking for; real, poignant, heart-rendering, sincere, gorgeous and haunting not some out-dated, narcissistic, empty, shallow, bloated, note milking festooning like all 4 girls on the show.

by Anonymousreply 57004/26/2013

That link says the uploader has not made the video available in your country (USA).

by Anonymousreply 57104/26/2013

I like AI, I do, I watch it. Out of all the talent shows I think it is the best, as in it has the best formate. It's simple and straight forward.

All the critics seem to agree on two things; the reason the show is failing are the songs and the production. It has not moved on a inch since 2002. All the Judge juggling in the world won't fix it.

And the judges, Nicki / Mariah hostility is tedious and highschool. Randy needs to go, he needs to be replaced, he is holding the show back.

Get some new judges, Adele would be awesome, maybe keep Keith and maybe someone like Chris Martin and Frank Ocean.

Get rid of things like Motown night and Diva night and the year you born night and the woeful rock night.

It might survive then.

by Anonymousreply 57204/26/2013

I usually like American Idol. I watch only after they have chosen the final 12.

But I find this season's American Idol boring and not compelling.

I like it when men are finalists - not all women.

When the men left this season, it became boring.

I'm a woman by the way.

I guess if Carrie Underwood can become so successful in the music business the standards do not need to be as high as one thinks.

I don't find Carrie Underwood's voice all that good. And when she was chosen as Idol, I was underwhelmed by everything about her.

After she won, they remade her into a star.

So I suppose it is possible that Angie or Candance could have some success. Amber succeeds sporadically with her songs and has the raw talent to build upon. Kree completely underwhelms me.

by Anonymousreply 57304/26/2013

American Idol is going on way too long this season.

All the weeks of these female finalists - on and on - are superfluous.

by Anonymousreply 57404/26/2013

Honestly, R570, there is no way that this show would survive with those bland, sleepy songs. People don't turn to shows like this to hear bedtime lullabies for an entire hour and be put to sleep. That suggestion would not work for this show. We all already know what works and what the most prized demo wants to see, The Voice.

The AI performers need to pick more current songs and when they go old school, pick something different, not the same old songs everybody sings on these shows every year. Candice and Kree have done different songs a few times but not enough. And Amber and Angie were bold enough to tackle Streisand and Beyonce. Making bold choices is good for the show. Candice's most beloved performance is of a current song. Contestants on The Voice also have the experience to make an old school and even current songs their own, which gives a unique performance and sparks the publics interest. I know AI contestants are inexperienced but making a song their own is something they can work on.

This year they finally got the talent right, but the songs are still for the most part wrong. The Voice has proven what works, AI should listen. And I agree, a lot of people were turned off by the fighting between the judges, nobody tunes in to see that. The show is supposed to be a lighthearted and fun, an escape. And yes get rid of theme nights. Especially rock night because the contestants always pick the oldest, most cheesy rock songs and never any current alternative or pop rock. I also think Candice should win with Kree her runner up. As someone mentioned Candice should do pop soul like Adele and Amy Whinehouse before her. Or pop R&B like Tamar Braxton, Bruno Mars.... She shouldn't try to be too serious of an artist out of the gates and get too deep. People aren't looking for deep right now.

by Anonymousreply 57504/26/2013

Is there a very limited choice of songs the contestants can sing? I cannot understand the song choices, how do these kids only know old old songs?

I think they must be told what to sing, I mean Amber's choice of MacArthur Park, seriously?

by Anonymousreply 57604/26/2013

I could not agree more than with my learned friend at r569 regarding Candice. I have been vocal in my praise about the excellence of her voice and technique. She may never fill stadiums, but that voice is never gonna be at the Ramada Inn or I will record her myself. So will Drake, Quincy Jones, David Foster, Timbaland, or Mariah Carey herself. Candice has a voice that does not just show up everyday and it ain't gonna go away now, lose or win.

It is not required to be that good to win AI and obviously other factors are important. I don't like Angie's presentation or her use of her soprano, she actually has several vocal tones and she most certainly can sing. I wish she would put a little grit into some of it and her rhythm is terrible, which is why they all love her at the piano, Tori Amos style where she can be more improvisational. But when she has to sing with a beat, she is a very white girl. But her voice is quite lovely and very versatile. Sing some Pat Benatar next week or Stevie Nicks Angie, if you're listening:) I think they are calling it "Now and Then" week, which I thought was every week on this show ?

Kree had a style, and then did start getting kind of lounge act, throwing around notes and riffs, reaching and screeching and sliding into high notes with improper technique and strained credulity, going from a restrained, mysterious connected performer to yes, a "whiter shade of pale" singing drink up now closing time lounge act. Speaking of, she should have a go at some Tom Waits songs or WHY has she not sung Patsy Cline? Kree is far better than a lounge act and is going to make a brilliant eclectic album. I know it. I don't think she shoud win AI though.

Amber is my least favourite. Because she is not there yet, and she has no original sound. You would never recognize her voice by sound alone. But she has been exceptionally good starting with the Stevie Wonder song "Lately", and the Celine number, and most wonderfully on the Michel LeGrand "What are you doing the Rest of your Life." Her vocal climbed steadily and surely her around the winding labyrinth of that melody, opening her voice, using very good technique to enrich her low notes(her weakest spot) and sang back in her voice to be able to open her throat for lovely transitions from upper chest to head voice with no loss of power or control. It was a sophisticated song and performance. She sounded full and rich at the bottom and delicate and clear at the top, with just the right inflection - almost as if she sang the song in one long breath. Beautiful control. HOWEVER Amber is posing as a 30 year old DIVA from 20 years past and she is only 19 years old and can't sing an uptempo number in tune or harmony. She needs a lot of work on breathing and movement techniques and she will be a very good singer. She has no identity and really must stop, STOP evoking Whitney Houston. Amber is being pushed on us y'all as "the winner" and none too subtly by Nicki Minaj, but the folks don't fall for that. The day of the elegant Diva is over for better or worse and Amber needs to get a bit more joyful and not only in her lipstick colour. Plus Amber is so pretty and dignified and that turns those young (female)voters off. I believe that she was the one the public chose to go home last night. They were not going to reveal that the "next" Rihanna was once again at the bottom. I feel bad for Amber, because American Idol will turn her into another Rihanna and she has much more potential than that. I want that girl to polish her wonderful potential. She should evoke Diana Ross or Natalie Cole, or Deniece Williams, some syncopated joy. Save the ballad for near the end of your show Amber. You are NOT Whitney or Celine.

Candice sings Abdul, Paula shows up, Candice sings Drake, Drake is there, When Candice sings, the right people are listening. She is that good. I believe that she has to work harder than any of them to impress for reasons we all get. She kind of took this week off,but she is still there and Angie is on the ascent. The two best voices, only one GREAT singer.

by Anonymousreply 57704/26/2013

[quote]The show is shit, dated bland R&B

Just like Mariah's music output from the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 57804/26/2013

What will ultimately get the show cancelled is Nygel Lythgoe's tired and very superficial style of show running and the majority voting bloc that allow someone like Lazaro to stay waaay longer than he should and will ultimately deny the best contestant Candice Glover the win. When AI winner Lee Dwyze (sp?) showed up this week, that alone should remind you of how goofy this show is.

by Anonymousreply 57904/26/2013

I much prefer R&B to the groaning rock shit that's won the past few years, so whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 58004/26/2013

I thought Lee Dwyze's new single he sang last night was excellent. I loved it.

I think he is excellent all around and great in his own way.

He is performing for a living which is an achievement.

And his new album is coming out.

by Anonymousreply 58104/26/2013

My God, people, get your phones and Internets out and vote for Candice next week or I am going to never, ever watch American Idol again! It is bad enough that Survivor voted out Malcolm this week, but Candice is just extraordinary! Her voice reminds me of Natalie Cole, but even better!!

by Anonymousreply 58204/26/2013

I agree that Amber must have been tossed this week or they would have gotten rid of one of the other girls. They saved the save for Amber all season.

They have brought Amber back time after time, when America has repeatedly voted her off. Remember when she got dumped and they suddenly had the "vote for your fave" magic-additional-contestant thing? Poor Charlie.

Lythgoe and Fuller must believe they can make money off of Amber after the season. Either that or someone fucked her and she can prove it. The fact remains that while Amber, Kree and Angie are a dime a dozen singers, Candice Glover is the real thing. She deserves to win, which means she probably won't.

Also, I like Nicki Minaj more than I thought I would (I don't know anything about her other than AI), Keith Urban (another person about whom I knew nothing) is hot to death and Mariah is more fun than I anticipated. Yes, she's ridiculously diva-esque but it's funny. Randy is his usual asinine self but for the purposes of the show, he's fine.

Ryan Seacrest, as much as we bitch about him, does a better, more professional job than any other reality-contest host that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 58304/26/2013

R583, I've always liked Ryan but I think Cat Deeley on So You Think You Can Dance has been the best reality show host so far that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 58404/27/2013

AMEN r584! AMEN!

by Anonymousreply 58504/27/2013

[quote]Ryan Seacrest, as much as we bitch about him, does a better, more professional job than any other reality-contest host that I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 58604/27/2013

I agree that Tom Bergeron is more witty, spontaneous and comfortable in his "host" skin. I have come to accept Ryan's skills but sometimes it feels he has rehearsed every line for hours in the mirror. And Cat Deeley is second right after Tom Bergeron; she's extremely likable and so gracious/warm.

by Anonymousreply 58704/27/2013

The most annoying thing about the show is how the "judges" repeatedly laud and praise such overwhelmingly bland, bad and mediocre performances. It is so fake, they cannot possibly believe what they are saying.

It so annoying, they are insulting the audience, they need to apologize to the audience for last week and be honest, tell the contestants they suck.

by Anonymousreply 58804/29/2013

r588, I really do believe the judges are just following producer Nigel Lythgoe's orders. You see the same bullcrap on his other show, So You Think You Can Dance.

I don't see enough criticism of him. Am I the only one who feels as though he's the reason both AI and SYTYCD (why is this show still coming on) are on the decline?

by Anonymousreply 58904/29/2013

So true r588, this seems to be a pattern with performance reality show.

Judges are without a doubt forced to cater to producers wishes and it becomes increasingly transparent when judges laud what are obviously lackluster performances. But when judges do this it reeks of producer manipulation and comes across as insulting to the audience.

It doesn't take a lot of common sense to understand that innate talent (vocal, performance, or otherwise) is only part of the equation in a successful career. The producers,judges, and coaches know more about he contestants work ethics, skills, marketability, and personalities from all their behind the scenes interactions. And understandably, no one wants to have to trash the dreams of some hopeful on national tv when s/he under-performs, but the praise would be far more tolerable and better received, if the audience were given credit for knowing the reason behind it. Just once you'd think that one of the judges would criticize a poor performance, but justify voting for a person by saying that s/he has blew this number, but has a demonstrated an uncanny work ethic that will make him/her a real tour de force with some training on _____. OR The past two weeks you've bombed because you have poor personal choice in songs, but with someone to do that for you, you could be a music sensation.

I'd love for some show to break the wall of pretense and see how the audience responds. However,this is a far easier gamble to suggest when it's not on my dime.

by Anonymousreply 59004/29/2013

Niki and Randy are the worst at this sycophantic hyperbolic praise. But really these girls have little chance of becoming the next Adel, Beyonce, Rihanna or Taylor Swift.

They are already branded as lame outdated idol singers simply by their performances on the show.

by Anonymousreply 59104/29/2013

Mariah Carey's vocal ability at 31, already done like dinner. That is vocal pockets and damage that you are hearing, highlighting her always bad singing technique.

Is it really exciting to hear a "whistle note" when her low tones are nasal, which is pretty unusual in itself, her melisma has turned into just plain pitchy and her vocal movement between registers requires Jekyll and Hyde contortions? She is only worse now. Parts of her voice are missing.

I am being unkind, but some one has to say that the nearly naked diva has no clothes:) She was always a clumsy singer, and her great vocal power and range were gone very soon, due to lack of training and laziness. Certainly not from touring or overwork. She knows nothing of singing technique and never chose to correct or improve her vocal problems, only to change what she sang and how much of a song she would sing live.

We call her the whisper and the whistle. Like a pub. Don't expect too much and it can be fun.

Her success is not up for discussion, but she is not one of the great singers. Nope.

by Anonymousreply 59204/29/2013

Well, I enjoyed her performance in the video. Not every listener dissects every singer's technique.

Your lame story about her not knowing Edith Pilaf shows why you have a chip against her. I thought her reply was funny. Most people under the age of 60 don't know who Edith Pilaf is. Sorry to break it to you. Even people who are singers.

I just had to Google her to realize her name is Piaf and not Pilaf. She died in 1963.

by Anonymousreply 59304/29/2013

r593, r541,

That was a quick response. Listen, the post regarding Edith Piaf is not mine, but from a friend of mine who lives in NYC and is a record and special events producer. I think I made that pretty clear. You called me out on the cut and paste job initially. Anyone can tell that we have very different writing styles. You may not have that ability to discern.

He has many things to say about Mariah that I have stated in different ways. These things are not secrets to people who know about music and singing. He has more first hand experience with her methods. I agree that the Piaf reference demonstrates nothing about Ms. Carey's knowledge. But you are cherry picking babe.

It is true that most people don't dissect singer's techniques. I don't do it when I listen to many kinds of music. But AI is a big voice competition, and Mariah Carey is known as one of the great voices. She is not to me.

I am a die hard fan of some bad singers too.

For you, who doesn't analyze, I post a much better performance of Mariah. See if you hear any difference. She sings in her familiar way, but when it still worked for her, and her voice was within her control.

"Can't Live"

by Anonymousreply 59404/29/2013

I'm disappointed in Nikki. I thought she was a rebel and said what she actually thought. But she was a disgrace last week, pimping Amber to a disgusting degree.

by Anonymousreply 59504/29/2013

It's "Without You" not "Can't Live." Surprised that someone your age and in the business doesn't know the correct title. I guess you don't have the ability to discern a song title from a chorus.

Yes, I have loved that version of "Without You" for many years and have actually burned it to CD and blasted it out of my car for many years...even this year, in fact. 17 years later...I still love it. Mariah is very special to me and millions of other people. I don't get why some people hate on her, but you're not a super star unless people love and hate you.

by Anonymousreply 59604/29/2013

Is this season STILL going on? Isn't it about time to wrap it up?

by Anonymousreply 59904/30/2013

It has simply become unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 60004/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!