Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do any of you remember Laurie Dann, the spree killer from the University of Wisconsin-Madison?

An unusual case in that she was female, Jewish, and from a prominent family. She was also seriously mentally ill. Dann shot up a classroom of children, killing one kid and wounding several others.

At the UW dorm, she would ride the elevators up and down for hours and she would watch static on tv.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/07/2013

Weird story

by Anonymousreply 202/07/2013

And yet, due to her status of being a vagina, she's never mentioned by the media, the press or even late night comics.

by Anonymousreply 302/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2013

L L L L L L L 7 7 7 7 7 7 7

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2013

'Status of being a vagina'? Why, however did she pick up a gun?

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2013

Rotting meat in cushions? What a freak.

R3, WTF are you talking about, this happened many years ago, it wouldn't be mentioned now.

Yes, it certainly WAS in the media when it happened. I remember her weird face on the cover of the local NYC newspapers as well as on the national news.

Why would any comedian joke about this horrific incident anyway?

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2013

This situation, with the killer being protected by her parents, while clearly being batshit crazy, is very similar to Dr. Amy 'Boom Boom' Bishop!

by Anonymousreply 802/07/2013

I was a sophomore at UW-Madison when this happened. Although I remember it was a huge story at the time, these kind of events didn't get the wall-to-wall coverage they do now.

Laurie Dann lived in one of the off-campus, private dorms with mostly students from the East Coast. At the time, the University was becoming highly popular for East Coast students who couldn't get into the University of Michigan.

I think what made it so interesting is that in any large college town/city with a transient population there are well-known odd & eccentric people. Knowing that someone who was known for riding up/down the elevators all day could commit such a horrible crime was a wake up call to many students that we lived mostly among strangers from many different backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 902/07/2013

R9, back in the 1980s, what was the student culture like at U Wisconsin? Was it a friendly or super competitive campus? Did the girls shun her? The woman was 30 and living in the dorm.

by Anonymousreply 1002/07/2013

The Lizzie Borden syndrome -- a woman did this?

People have know about women who were serial killers for hundred of years. Mass murderers? Not so much. Now it is becoming an equal-opportunity career path.

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2013

I hold her crazy parents, the Wassermans, at least halfway to blame for this tragedy.

I wonder if Laurie had any siblings and if they're crazy too.

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2013

R9 here

I grew up in the NY/NJ area & transferred to UW-Madison in the Fall of '87 at a time when the University was transitioning. It was no longer making the "Top Party School" lists and was becoming more respected and popular on the East Coast. When I graduated high school in '86 a handful of students applied to Madison (most wanted to attend Michigan). Two years later, hundreds of students from my high school applied. Part of the reason for this was that the U of Michigan had became so competitive and most couldn't get in.

As a Big Ten school, the football team wasn't great and only started to become the winning team they are now after Barry Alvarez become the coach in 1990. The success of the football team gave the University greater national exposure and it no longer seemed odd to go to school in Wisconsin when you were from the East Coast.

Madison can best be compared to Austin, Texas - a liberal City within a much more conservative state. The campus is beautiful and Madison is surrounded by lakes. Unlike other large university towns where the school runs everything, Madison is the state capital so it was an interesting intersection of education and politics.

The campus was as political as you would expect a large, liberal campus to be with protests and rallies for everything. The school is huge so there is something for everybody and I remember it being a friendly place. I wasn't out in college but I know they had a gay student organization at that time.

With regard to Laurie Dann, I'm not sure she was well-known around the campus as she was in the private dorm where she lived. The building was popular with the large influx of Jewish, East Coasters (I'm both) but on a campus that big I believe it is easy to blend in unless you're behavior is so extreme.

I can't say enough great things about both the University and City - I have only the fondest memories.

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2013

"And yet, due to her status of being a vagina, she's never mentioned by the media, the press or even late night comics."

Stop lying. If anything, female killers get a disproportionatley large percent of media attention - look at Casey Anthony or Jodi Arias.

"People have know about women who were serial killers for hundred of years. Mass murderers? Not so much. Now it is becoming an equal-opportunity career path."

ROFLMAO. Like 1% of mass murderers are female. That's hardly equal opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2013

Nice, r13. But you make it sound as if Wisconsin was not a great school before the late 80s. It has been one of the great American universities since long before then and has a long history of political commitment with its heyday of activism being long before the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

[quote]Those who knew Dann described her as shy and withdrawn but attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

Why did she have a different last name than her parents?

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

She kept her married name after the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

I remember this story very well. I was in 5th grade at the time and I was frightened that some nut with a gun was going to come to my school. My teacher talked about it in class because we were all scared.

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

One of my professors at Northwestern had her as a student in a class and said that she had seemed odd, haunted, not quite there--retrospectively, there were clearly signs.

Ironically, the teacher was Lilla Heston, sister of NRA President and advocate, Charlton. Lilla was universes away from her brother's politics (and a much better actor).

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

R19 I swear, when I first read your post I thought it said "some nun with a gun"!

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

This story sounds very familiar, especially the rotting meat part. Didn't Valerie Bertinelli do a TV movie version of the events? Seems like I remember the mom was played by the actress who portrayed Anne Frank in that terrible film. Millie Perkins?

Saw it by accident many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

Yes, Valerie Bertinelli played Dann in a tv movie. As I recall, she was very unconvincing as the disturbed Laurie Dann.

I read a good book about this case a long time ago. Dann had been exhibiting bizarre behavior for quite some time. People generally ignored it. She was a time bomb waiting to explode, but nobody did anything about it. Her murder of an innocent child might have been prevented if she had been involuntarily committed. But since she was deemed "not a threat" to herself or others, she was allowed to walk free.

That's what usually happens. There are so many dangerously mentally ill people walking around that it would be impossible to lock them all up just because they act crazy and irrational. Until they actually DO something (like kill or maim somebody) they're pretty much left on their own.

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2013

As soon as I read "Winetka" I remembered the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2013

Great info, R13 and R20. Despite the pathology, this is why I love DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2013

how can you say the tv movie w/Valerie Bertinelli was bad? I remember being totally captivated by the whole sordid mess.

Hoarding rotten meat poisoned juice boxes HOT husband (how did she hide the crazy long enough to fool that poor guy into marrying her)

What was wrong with her? Schizophrenia?

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2013

"how can you say the tv movie w/Valerie Bertinelli was bad? I remember being totally captivated by the whole sordid mess."

I thought Bertinelli's performance was inadequate. I didn't think the movie as a whole was bad. It was pretty unpleasant to watch, though.

I doubt Laurie Dann's husband was as "hot" as the actor who played him. Dann herself was plain and odd-looking. Her face always had the look of someone who had obvious mental issues.

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2013

r3 is an idiot, apparently due to his status of being a penis.

by Anonymousreply 2802/07/2013

I remember this well because my aunt and uncle lived in Winnetka at the time.

Quite a bit later on, several years later, wasn't there some kind of connection found between this woman and the Tylenol murders that plagued that area in the 80s? Does anyone else recall this or am I mixing up my serial killers here?

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013

You got it R3.

by Anonymousreply 3002/07/2013

Dann was investigated and cleared regarding the Tylenol murders. It sounds like her though.

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2013

Is this the woman who gave "I hate Mondays" as the reason for the shootings?

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2013

No r32, that was Brenda Spencer in my neighborhood in SD. The 30 year anniversary of that was last week and some of my friends were students at that school. One of them had a picture of him and one of the teachers that was shot helping the little kids. It was always weird to hear that song on 91x when you were with a certain crowd.

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2013

The part I remember about Dann was that she would crouch in a closet filled with bird seed.

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2013

What's also weird about Laurie Dann is that she was promiscuous, old compared to the college kids, and had bad hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2013

R32, no, that girl was in San Diego and she took out a playground full of kids from her bedroom window.

Only in America, folks!

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!