Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cabaret

It's time for a remake of Cabaret.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 1972 film, but they left out too much of the music. We need a new version more faithful to the original production.

Do it now while Anne is still young enough to play Sally.

by Anonymousreply 7102/10/2013

Do you want me to shoot you now or wait till you get home?

by Anonymousreply 102/07/2013

No way, Anne is all wrong for Sally. I'm dying to see Toni Collette sing again. She was so wonderful in The Wild Party and she would have been a great Roxie in Chicago. I think she'd kill as Sally...she's got everything going for her.

Eddie Remayne would be a good Cliff. Bruno Ganz and Patti LuPone as Schultz and Schneider. Patti could be really thrilling as Fraulein Schneider.

Don't hate me for this, but I would be really interested to see Sacha Baron Cohen could bring to the role of the Emcee.

And Anne Hathaway as Fraulein Kost! From 1820's French prostitute to 1920's German prostitute, Oscar #2! J/k, I have no idea who would be a good Kost. Probably an unknown or some weird British star.

by Anonymousreply 202/07/2013

OK, I was baiting you about Anne, but seriously, let's do it again.

by Anonymousreply 302/07/2013

Christoph Waltz for Emcee

I agree about Eddie Redmayne for Cliff.

I don't know about Sally, I can't think of a known young actress who could really pull it off, they would have to find new talent.

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2013

Alan Cumming could still pull off the Emcee. Reunite Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe as Sally and Brian, but only if she can sing and dance.

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2013

Beyonce, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2013

While they're at it, they should just cast an actress who can't hold a note if her life depended on it. Sally Bowles is not supposed to be a good singer! This is the ludicrous rationale that was used for the Broadway revival and why we were all subjected to the tone-deaf caterwauling of Natasha Richardson, Brooke Shields, Molly Ringwald and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

by Anonymousreply 702/08/2013

Why do you queens always want these over-the-hill types to lay these much younger roles? Toni Collette is at the age where she should be playing Sally Durand, not Sally Bowles. It's been 20 years since she could play Bowles feasibly onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

Wait a sec, who said Sally needs to be young? Isn't more logical in a seedy joint like the Kit Kat Klub that Sally Bowles would be past her prime?

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

How about Emmy Rossum for Sally?

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

There was a girl in last summers So You Think You Can Dance who would have made a good Sally. Her name was Amelia.

Of course I have no idea if she can sing.

by Anonymousreply 1102/08/2013

A remake would be worth it only if they accurately depicted the artistic aesthetic of Weimar Berlin, that is a period of history that deserves a tribute in modern film.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

There are a lot of good songs that were only used as background in the movie; a remake might not be out of order.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

I've always thought Paul Rubens would be a great master of ceremonies.

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

Peter Dinklage as Emcee.

Damian Lewis as Ernst

Ryan Gosling as Cliff

Michelle Williams as Sally

Toni Colette as Fraulein Kost

LIZA! as Fraulein Schneider

Joel Grey! as Herr Schultz

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

[quote]Wait a sec, who said Sally needs to be young? Isn't more logical in a seedy joint like the Kit Kat Klub that Sally Bowles would be past her prime?

Because it's crucial to the plot that she's young and inexperienced. Despite her sluttiness, she's not had much background with actual emotional relationships with men (though she pretends otherwise), and she's hugely motivated in all she does by her parent's coldness and neglect toward her. And she's also young enough that she thinks she is going to make it as a star--an older and less naive woman would not think that.

Besides, she has to get pregnant. I don't think these days anyone's going to believe Toni Collete is pre-menopausal.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

I vote for Fat Face Tiffani Thiessen to play Sally. She can sing Maybe This Time I Won't Have a Fat Face.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

I'm with you OP~ About 8 or 9 years ago, there was talk of a cable taping of the Mendes/ Marshall Roundabout version with Natasha Ricardson and Alan Cumming. Sammy boy put the stop to that.. he didn't want Rob Marshall to take more credit for his choreography.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

What about US???????

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

Toni Collette needs a big musical role in a great musical movie.

But Sally is not it.

But that's beside the point. There is no need to remake CABARET. It would never equal the original film. I understand the love for the show and that the show is very different than the movie. And I could see the value of perhaps a tv production of the musical that is much more like the show. But there is no reason to remake it as a film.

Anne Hathaway is not my idea of Sally either.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

[quote] About 8 or 9 years ago, there was talk of a cable taping of the Mendes/ Marshall Roundabout version with Natasha Ricardson and Alan Cumming. Sammy boy put the stop to that.

Surely there's a bootleg floating around somewhere?

I stay out of the Broadway threads so I don't know how this works, but if a recording exists I would pay quite a bit of money to see it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

If it was a remake for TV- Laura Benanti.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

Sacha Baron Cohen is (a) too one-dimensional to play the MC, (b) too obviously a big old Jew (it's okay for that character to be Jewish but not okay to rub our faces in it from Scene One.)

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

[quote]I don't think these days anyone's going to believe Toni Collete is pre-menopausal.

that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

[quote] If it was a remake for TV- Laura Benanti.

I can see her as Fraulein Kost. Good suggestion!

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

Tony Collete is 40. Women are generally fertile up to 45.

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

Considering the number of horrible musicals, why remake one of the successful ones?

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

Chris Tucker as Emcee.

Will Smith as Ernst

Jamie Foxx as Cliff

Beyonce Knowles as Sally

Vivica Fox as Fraulein Kost

Oprah Winfrey as Fraulein Schneider

Wesley Snipes as Herr Schultz

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

R28 Nothing for me?

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

R21, the 1993 London Sam Mendes revival starring Jane Harrocks and Alan Cumming (which transferred to Braodway in 1998 with Cumming reprising and Natasha Richardson replacing Harrocks) was taped for UK TV. Here's Part one:

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

God, Michelle Williams trods heavily through that number.

clump, clump, clump

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2013

Lindsay Lohan is Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2013

In real life, perhaps, but she couldn't play her.

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2013

What songs are you missing? That fucking song about the fucking pineapple? Go to the Whole Foods produce section if you're that lonely.

"Cabaret" is the only film adaptation of musical that's actually better (and in this case light years better) than the source material.

There's historical interest in the original production as it's a demonstration of when musical comedy was turning into, what George Kaufmann called, "musical serious." But as a stand alone work it's ridiculous.

I'm far from the world's biggest Fosse fan, but that film is as high as that material is ever gonna get.

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2013

"What songs are you missing? That fucking song about the fucking pineapple? Go to the Whole Foods produce section if you're that lonely."

Hey Little Miss Bitter: try dialing down the anger a notch.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2013

How about "Married.." Or "So What."

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2013

[quote]"Cabaret" is the only film adaptation of musical that's actually better (and in this case light years better) than the source material.

The film versions of OLIVER! and OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR are better than their stage inspirations.

by Anonymousreply 3702/09/2013

I disagree. Sally and Cliff are stupid children (and they're meant to be). The story loses much of its depth and complexity without the love story between Fraulein Schneider and Herr Schultz.

I find the movie of Cabaret boring outside the wonderful musical numbers.

by Anonymousreply 3802/09/2013

R21- full performance videos exist with Gina Gershon, Jane Leeves, Susan Egan, Molly Ringwald, Linda Romoff etc... with Michael Hall, Raul Esparza, Neil Patrick Harris... and the final matinee with Susan Egan and Adam Pascal is out. The only Richardson/ Cumming video that I know of is b roll footage so it's not the entire show. But has most of the songs. However, there is a complete audio with the original cast out there. If there is a complete video with Natasha and Alan, no one is offering it up yet.

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2013

[quote] A remake would be worth it only if they accurately depicted the artistic aesthetic of Weimar Berlin, that is a period of history that deserves a tribute in modern film.

Watch the BBC's dramatisation of Christopher And His Kind. The only thing missing is a trip to the Eldorado.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2013

That Liza bitch was awful in the role, so this is one re-make I would like to see.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2013

Love R14's idea!

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2013

[quote]full performance videos exist with Gina Gershon, Jane Leeves, Susan Egan, Molly Ringwald, Linda Romoff etc... with Michael Hall, Raul Esparza, Neil Patrick Harris...

Where does one find and how does one acquire these videos?

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2013

[quote]It would never equal the original film.

But Cabaret is so different from the movie, it shouldn't strive to be anything equal. It's a completely separate entity and completely different.

The reason Schultz and Schneider exist is to show the conflict of people who lived through the first war, suffered through depression, and then were confronted with another life altering issue at their doorstep. It's a much more severe story than that Landauer storyline in the film (which, however, is a part of Isherwood's book). The Pineapple song is not nearly as superfluous as r34 makes it out to be. And I still think Patti LuPone and Bruno Ganz would be great in the parts. She played Eva Peron, he played Hitler, it's a perfect match.

As much as I abhor Carey Mulligan, she is the most perfect person I can think of (since my Toni Collette idea was vetoed by r16) to play Sally. I've always kind of hated Sally anyway, she's a willfully ignorant crazy chav...precocious and melodramatic, a total phoney, she makes us believe she's some fabulous star.

And I've changed my idea from Eddie Remayne to Ryan Gosling for cliff.

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2013

I don't see any reason NOT to do another film version of "Cabaret" for a new generation. Lots of opportunities for Baz Luhrmannizing with all that stage versus reality back and forthing that's build right into the show. You could make Sally a little borderline personality disorder emo girl like Bella Swan or Rose in "Titanic," with lots of sparkly dieselpunk outfits.

I'm thinking Benedict Cumberbatch for the Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2013

R37, same goes for THE SOUND OF MUSIC. The stage show is such a boring fest! The movie really improved on it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2013

Carey Mulligan? Michelle Williams? What glue are you people sniffing?

The original movie is iconic, kids. You can't improve on it. Fosse was truly one of a kind. Minnelli made Sally Bowles her own.

Good luck trying to find a actress AND singer who can touch the garter of Liza's fishnets. Natasha came very close, but she is no longer with us unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2013

Has Glee done a Cabaret episode? I'd love to see one...

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2013

Liza made Sally "her own" by not being able to do a British accent, forcing the rewrite that made Sally an American.

Same thing happened when she subbed for Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria on Broadway. They had to make Victora Canadian becauise Liza couldn't do the accent.

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2013

R49, CABARET is featured in the episode "The Rhodes Not Taken" from Season 1. Sue blackmailed the principal into making her the school's new art director, and she puts up a flyer announcing auditions for the new spring musical, CABARET. The plan was to lure Rachel away from glee club, where she'd been at odds with Mr. Schu 'cause he wouldn't give her a solo. The episode features the title song, and also "Maybe this Time" which is done as a cross-section duet by Rachel and guest star Kristin Chenowith, except Rachel is rehearsing for the show and Kristin's April is auditioning for glee to take Rachel's place.

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2013

No, Liza made Sally HER OWN through her extraordinary acting and singing abilities. And Fosse made the movie iconic through his own unique brand of creativity and style.

Hence, why every revival has the Fosse element to it. All this talk about how the source material is so different, well make it your fucking own then. Stop sucking off the tit of Bob if you're that fucking creative!

by Anonymousreply 5202/09/2013

Did the British production leave out "Don't Tell Mama"?

by Anonymousreply 5302/09/2013

R44- theater boots boards

by Anonymousreply 5402/09/2013

R53--- two songs were cut from the Donmar TV broadcast "Don't Tell Mama," and "The Money Song." They were used on stage, just not for the Carlton TV taping.

by Anonymousreply 5502/09/2013

[quote]Liza made Sally "her own" by not being able to do a British accent, forcing the rewrite that made Sally an American.

I've never heard the Victor/Victoria story, but I'll take your word that she can't do a British accent. No matter, Sally works better as a (clueless, detached, outsider) American than she does as a Brit.

by Anonymousreply 5602/09/2013

Ellen Page is the type of actress who seems destined for an Oscar. I'd cast her and Michael Cera. Shia LaBeouf as emcee. Robert Pattinson as Max.

by Anonymousreply 5702/09/2013

Didn't Liza play English in Charlie Bubbles.

by Anonymousreply 5802/09/2013

[quote]Watch the BBC's dramatisation of Christopher And His Kind. The only thing missing is a trip to the Eldorado.

They wanted Matt Smith to appear nude in this program, but he was already signed with Doctor Who and the producers of that show wouldn't allow him to show his penis.

by Anonymousreply 5902/09/2013

I don't feel like we need a remake yet.

And I don't think Anne Hathaway would be right at all for Sally.

I wouldn't like to see Lea Michele in a full length version as Sally but I think she would be great for one episode of Glee.

No one immediately comes to mind for Sally. Can Juno Temple sing?

Eddie Redmayne as Cliff sounds okay.

Alan Cumming as the Emcee would still work. The only younger actor that comes to mind is Ezra Miller.

by Anonymousreply 6002/09/2013

Flames and freaks for the cunt at R39.

Fuck you to pieces, shit stain.

by Anonymousreply 6102/09/2013

Kathie Lee's doing a rewrite and calling it "Cabernet!" She'll have the lead role, and is planning to cast Hoda as her ugly stepsister.

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2013

Most of these casting suggestions for a remake are hardly inspiring choices that say, "Oh, yes, the time is ripe!"

by Anonymousreply 6302/09/2013

I have the Liza Victor/Victoria video bootleg. No, she does not do a British accent. She is from Canada.

by Anonymousreply 6402/10/2013

R60 Sally is not suppose to be a good singer. Listen to Jill Haworth, Judi Dench or Natasha Richardson on their respective cast albums.

by Anonymousreply 6502/10/2013

R28 - Beyonce is too old for Sally.

by Anonymousreply 6602/10/2013

Cabaret does not need a remake, but if it had to be done again, the only major actress right for the role would be Anne Hathaway.

She has the fragility. The only problem is that she looks so much like a young Liza Minnelli that it would make comparisons only that much more stark.

Someone mentioned Paul Rubens as the MC. It would be PERFECT casting and he has the intelligence to pull it off... but I couldn't image a studio actually going for it.

by Anonymousreply 6702/10/2013

A remake of Cabaret could also include a song or two from other Kander and Ebb shows. This has been done before in remakes.

Some of their flops have great songs that the general public does not know: "Time Heals Everything", "I Won't Send Roses", "I Don't Want to Know"... if one of these could fit into the plot line, it would be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6802/10/2013

Except those songs are by Jerry Herman.... too much wine at lunch...

by Anonymousreply 6902/10/2013

Doesn't need a movie remake. Even though the original movie is not the original Cabaret and cuts out songs and characters, the film is a classic. I think a taping for TV, using the stage script, would be the way to go.

by Anonymousreply 7002/10/2013

You know who might have been a great Sally Bowles? The late Brittany Murphy, that's who.

She was a terrific singer, and could be appealing in spite of being as fragile and fucked-up as anyone alive.

by Anonymousreply 7102/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.