Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My spring trip!

I will be flying to Paris. I have been there before but I will spend a full day there because you can never have too much Paris. After a full day in Paris I will rent a car and drive down to Avignon. I have a room right next to the Palais des Papes for four nights. I will make a few day trips (Aix-En Provence, Arles, Carcassone, Monte Carlo..). Then I will drive into Italy and spend a night at San Remo before heading into the Alps and spending a day in Geneva. Then I will drive back to Paris, spend another day there, and then fly home.

Just sayin'

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

Have a wonderful time.

by Anonymousreply 202/07/2013

Have fun, OP! I'd love to see France outside of Paris. What's on your agenda while zipping around the country?

by Anonymousreply 302/07/2013

In theory, the Palais des Papes is boring - big and empty - and yet I thought it was incredible and wanted to stay there all day. It's easy to imagine thousands of people crowded into it centuries ago, watching some ceremony.

Avignon's quite nice on the whole.

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2013

Make time for Beaucaire. It's beautiful and not many tourists have found it yet.

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2013

In Italia, we write it...Sanremo.

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2013

Why are you ruining what sounds like a perfectly lovely vacation with an excursion into Italy?

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2013

A few years ago I rented a farmhouse outside Aix en Provence and pretty much did the same thing for a few weeks... exploring Provence and the Riviera in a rental car.

It'll be wonderful, you'll love it.

Bon voyage!

by Anonymousreply 802/07/2013

Thank you for that, r5. I am traveling with a friend who is somewhat elderly and who has a thing for ecclesiastical architecture. He has been to Europe many, many times and I think he would very much enjoy the cave Abbey at Beaucaire.

by Anonymousreply 902/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/07/2013

R1, are you going to be OK or do we need to send an ambulance to your home?

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2013

They have these things in Europe called trains. And they're fast. Skip the Dollar Rent-a-car delusion.

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2013

[quote] I will spend a full day there because you can never have too much Paris

You wouldn't get too much of it in 24 hours, at any rate.

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2013

Nice is nice.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2013

I feel tired already.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

Sounds like a blast, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

Please wear a beret - it doesn't even have to be raspberry.

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

When you get to Monaco, stop by the palace. I'll drive you around town and show you the sights.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

Au revoir, Simone, au revoir.

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

Nancy is Nice.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

Reading OP's post was like having dinner with a friend of mine. Every single time.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

Isn't it extremely dangerous to be driving around in a strange foreign country like that? I would never do it.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

No, it's not dangerous, you do need to learn the signs though. I drove in Germany/Austria/Northern Italy a lot, but spent a lot of time there beforehand learning the subtle differences in driving. The autobahn was the bomb!

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2013

take the TGV to Avignon and rent the car from the train station there.

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2013

I love Paris in the springtime, when it sizzles ...

One day is hardly enough in Paris. When I was 24 my best friend and I were there and walked from one end of the city to the other, its quite compact, or was in 1970! Then another best friend got married and lived there for a decade (he is gay in San Francisco now) so I visited there a lot and know it so well.

One later visit was with my then partner a few months before he died, in 1996.

As Bogie says to Ingrid: we will always have Paris.

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2013

Why are you doing all this driving and by yourself? Why just a day. Are you stopping off to see and explore these places - I have been through Carcassone by train and it looks amazing.

Always wanted to go to San Remo, it sounds the ideal Italian town and so ideally situated. They used to have an annual music festival there when I was young and it sounded so perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2013

[quote]Why are you doing all this driving and by yourself?

Who says I'm by myself?

[quote]Why just a day. Are you stopping off to see and explore these places - I have been through Carcassone by train and it looks amazing.

Of course I'll be exploring. Carcassone does sound amazing.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!