Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BLIZZARD WATCH

Big snows are going to hit the northeast Friday and Saturday. All of New England, NY and parts of PA and NJ. From coastal Maine, NH through Boston and Providence are expected to get 18-24 inches and some areas could see 30 inches.

by Anonymousreply 9402/10/2013

New England can deal with that amount of snow. But they say there could be hurricane force winds, so that could knock out a lot of power.

Time to buy a back-up generator!!

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

They're calling for anywhere from 4-8 inches here. That'll be our first significant snow here. I live in Manhattan Proper and commute to Westchester, where they're calling for 8 inches, so I'm hoping to get a work at home day out of it on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Though I realize a winter storm means less people will be driving and there will be diminished demand for gas, I already filled my car today while it is easy to get around.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

I hate winter, the cold depresses me. This been another mild global-warming winter, but I still can't wait for it to be over.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

Then you can have a global warming summer with droughts, forest fires and temps near 100.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

Living in New England, I love having 4 seasons. Despite the warming winters, a snow storm every once in a while is nice. I was just thinking about the last time we were below zero. It's very few days in the winter unless you live in northern New England but in the south we used to go below zero many times even during the days. I haven't seen that in at least 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

Another New Englander here and I also love the four seasons we get. Snowstorms aren't so bad because the roads are plowed and salted right away so driving isn't that dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

I can't wait for winter storm Chico to get here!

by Anonymousreply 902/07/2013

It's unusual, R10, but not unheard of. Rush hour is a piece of cake for reverse-commuters.

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2013

Attentcion todos el residencios de New Yorko:

Un grande estormo de esnow es comingo! Tengo mucho cuidado when drivingo su carro. El subways van estopping manana a la hora seis por no bueno reason. La electricidad va a blackouto a la hora siete porque el Con Ed suckos. Gracias por your patiencio.

by Anonymousreply 1202/08/2013

"Snowstorms aren't so bad because the roads are plowed and salted right away so driving isn't that dangerous."

Yeah, the roads are cleared right away but the SIDEWALKS are not. Nobody shovels his sidewalk down to bare surface, leaving a thick layer of snow which turns to ice. Most people shovel a path to their car and that is IT. Unless you live downtown... business owners know the meaning of liability.

by Anonymousreply 1302/08/2013

I went through the 1978 pair of Blizzards up there with you guys.

Wicked Bad!

Take care and be careful my Northeast friends!

by Anonymousreply 1402/08/2013

No toucho el wiros electricidado en el groundo. Muy peligroso y si usted toucho el wiros usted could muerto.

by Anonymousreply 1502/08/2013

I'm a New Englander who loves spring and summer, can tolerate the early part of fall but hate winter.

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2013

El Bloombito is calling it Snowbracaba.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2013

Snowbracaba esta mucho bettero que Nemo!

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2013

R14 You went through a 78 blizzard, yet you use the phrase "wicked". Age inappropriate, girl. You must be 60 so speak like it. Bam, I turned a snowstorm post into an eldergay/gaylings rant in 1 sentence.

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2013

Bloomberg cracks me up with his "spanish".

I'd love to hear him try mandarin.

Have to give him credit for trying though...

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2013

I still don't have power and electicity in my home from the last storm. I have been staying with relatives for almost 4 months. Let New England have their fucking snow. We've had enough!

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2013

Senor Mayor Bloombergo needs his own thread!

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2013

And your point would be what, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2013

Free advice to R23: Any use or variation of the the gay overworked phrase "and your point is" was condemmed in 1984.

The jury has sentenced you to an eternity in Caftans and earrings, and if you ever do it again you will be banned from DL.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2013

Citizenos de New Yorko, por favor, no llamo el numero 911 por when usted es stucko in el snow en usted carro. Uso este numero por los emergencias de la vida loca y muerto. Gracias.

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2013

I'm lovin' this. I'm out here in Suffolk County, Long Island. I'm watching it through my living room window. The winds are gusting and a flock of geese just flew over my house, kinda wobbly. I went out for groceries and to fill up the car this morning and so I'm set. There's already a few inches on the ground and this is only the beginning. I just hope the lights stay on.

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2013

Philly is just wet with rain. I doubt it's getting anything.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2013

Miguel Bloombito ‏@ElBloombito El Norte de Eastero esta comingo Fridayernes! Mucho sñow! Que put los mitteños on los kitteños!

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2013

r27

Philly is just wet period

r32

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2013

Jim Cantore said there's going to be thundersnow tonight!

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2013

OMG you can't go out on the streets of Boston or else risk being thrown in jail for a year!!

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2013

You can't take your car out, r31, but if you want to walk through the storm, that's okay (but not wise).

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2013

You're all pussies; Governor Cuomo is a pussy, too. The WHOLE state of NY is a state of emergency? (I heard on the news a few hours ago; Weather Channel, I think). Christ on a cross, I grew up in the frozen north of NY State (and returned, unhappily, a couple of years ago; miss SF and NYC, sob!), and hello: we had these storms and worse, but the entire bunch of politicans and tv anchors didn't turn in to a bunch of f---ing little girls. Pathetic.

I do, however, really feel for the poster who said he doesn't have his power back from the last storm - Sandy? That's terrible. I'd be wanting to cut a bitch...

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2013

The Canadians have been buried in over 40 cm thick of snow since November, and they seem to be handling it quite well.

by Anonymousreply 3602/08/2013

yes R36, but the people of Canada are pretty rational. Americans aren't, especially the drama queen newscasters/weather people.

by Anonymousreply 3702/08/2013

Are you all dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 3802/08/2013

[quote]Stayo ina youra housa..keepo outa ofa streetso..weva gata toa preparea fora theo worsa casa..

This sounds like Mayora Bloomberiti, capsice?

by Anonymousreply 4002/08/2013

This storm is being called NEMO. Can someone explain to me why?

by Anonymousreply 4102/08/2013

nary a flake here

by Anonymousreply 4202/08/2013

It's coming down nicely in NYC

by Anonymousreply 4302/08/2013

I'm freaking out!!!

by Anonymousreply 4402/08/2013

Let's watch together on CNN streaming at

cnn.com/tv

by Anonymousreply 4502/08/2013

Over hyped for New York City, as usual. Maybe three to six inches in the city, tops. Long Island and Montauk will get the worst of it with high winds and two to three feet of snow. It will stop here in the city around three a.m. I have to say, I'm glad New England is getting the attention this time. The stinging, icy rain and slush was actually more of a problem earlier today.

by Anonymousreply 4602/08/2013

r19 'wicked' is appropriate for any age New Englander who is north of Massachusetts. where do you think the baby eldergaylings like me learned it from? our grandparents - who lived well past 60.

I think of the New England residents of the Lower Three, only the old folks and sea captains use it.

by Anonymousreply 4702/08/2013

"Humpty Dumpty Potato Chips - they're WICKED good!"

by Anonymousreply 4802/08/2013

CNN is kicking the Weather Channel and Cantore's muscular ass on the coverage. Ali Velshi right on the beach getting blown around. Not to mention CNN didn't decide to tack some ridiculous name to the storm. Nemo???? Cantore seems to be buying into his own hype as the weather all-star.

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2013

This is so ridiculous. CUNY is cancelling classes tomorrow. I could understand tonight but I thought it would all be settling down by morning.

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2013

No news organization other than TWC is using the "Nemo" name for the storm.

And don't forget the "StormCon" and "TorCon" designations they're using. We're at StormCon 10!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2013

so has it hit anywhere yet?

by Anonymousreply 5202/09/2013

Face palm for R52!

by Anonymousreply 5302/09/2013

I am wicked pissed you all don't know what wicked means.

by Anonymousreply 5402/09/2013

Only a few inches in philly

by Anonymousreply 5502/09/2013

Anyone awake and on here in Eastern Mass?

by Anonymousreply 5602/09/2013

WUT-EVERR!

by Anonymousreply 5702/09/2013

Why are we watching buzzards?

by Anonymousreply 5802/09/2013

No such thing as climate change, eh? A winter storm in February....

by Anonymousreply 5902/09/2013

I liked the snowball fight at closing time.

by Anonymousreply 6002/09/2013

Why are the people who live on Long Island such idiots? The local weather people all said conditions would deteriorate by three p.m. and everyone should either stay home or leave their jobs early. Only the people with jobs that are essential to running emergency services, healthcare workers, fire and police and transit and sanitation should be on the job. But no. These idiots got in their cars, went to the city, stayed until normal quitting time, and then got stuck on the Sunrise Highway and Long Island Expressway. Hundreds of them. Of course, if we had local leaders and a Governor like they have in Mass and Boston, we would be better off. And of course, the streets in New York City and the outer boroughs are still covered in snow, even though the snow stopped here at around three a.m. To make it worse, we will have to listen to Mayor Bloombito and his smug opining on what it means to be a New Yorker. Governor Cuomo always sounds like he's the most depressed man in the whole wide world. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 6102/09/2013

We had blizzard all the time in spring when I was a kid in Chicago. I recall the April blizzard in 1977 which was preceded by a much worse blizzard.

Spring blizzards are nice as the snow melts quick.

by Anonymousreply 6202/09/2013

South of Philly, in Lancaster County - a mess. Everything's frozen still and/or solid, including the doors of my car.

by Anonymousreply 6402/09/2013

I'm in Cambridge in a third floor apartment. The cars parked across the street are in drifts so high they are almost buried.

by Anonymousreply 6502/09/2013

Philly - barely a snow flake, maybe not even one snow flake.

This "blizzard" was a total sham

by Anonymousreply 6602/09/2013

Well, we're getting it in Canada

by Anonymousreply 6702/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 6802/09/2013

ha, that's funny, R68. That is what they were like in Eastern Canada yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 6902/09/2013

R66 is a tool.

by Anonymousreply 7002/09/2013

R66 speaks the truth, Philadelphia hardly got any snow.

by Anonymousreply 7102/09/2013

Power out for 400,000 in MA

by Anonymousreply 7202/09/2013

It's very quiet in here -- maybe it is an Northeast-centric group.

by Anonymousreply 7302/09/2013

Bostonian here. The weathermen actually got this one right. We have two-feet plus and it's still snowing. I was hoping to go out tonight. Now, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 7402/09/2013

New Haven county here.

I have 3 feet can't open doors or garage door.

Deck looks like it might collapse it has so much snow.

Plows have nowhere too put the snow

by Anonymousreply 7502/09/2013

4-6 here, near Princeton, NJ

by Anonymousreply 7602/09/2013

New Haven, sorry about that. Shoe shopping much be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7702/09/2013

r75 I'm new haven county too but suburbs. Front loader just came through - heard the plows are getting stuck so they are commissioning construction vehicles (private)

Can't go anywhere anyways with the travel ban...

just super thankful we have power. I think I will make crepes!

by Anonymousreply 7802/09/2013

Click here to find out more! As storm hits, New England looks back to the blizzard of '78

print Comments 1

By Marisa Gerber

February 8, 2013, 6:54 p.m.

He was only 3, but Matt Bowling remembers climbing to the top of a 20-foot mound of plowed snow and peering down on his Boston neighborhood.

It was the first week of February in 1978. And a historic, deadly blizzard had just struck New England.

As another massive snowstorm bore down Friday night on the Northeast, many looked back at the Blizzard of '78 that claimed nearly 100 lives and wondered how this blizzard would measure up.

Bowling, now 38, runs a website about the 1978 blizzard and said his normally sleepy site got more than 10,000 page views over the last couple of days.

For Ty Fan, who spent Friday stocking up on food at a Cambridge, Mass., grocery store, the 2012 storm conjured memories of 1978.

“I just remember trudging through the snow to get to the store,” said Fan, who was a student at MIT at the time. For Fan, the 1978 storm was an inconvenience. For others, it was a tragedy.

Meteorologists in 1978 were able to warn of the approaching monster storm a few days in advance, said Louis Uccellini, a Northeast storm expert due to become the National Weather Service’s director on Sunday, told The Times.

The problem, however, was that weather predictions did not have the technological precision that they do today. The storm hit later than expected. On Feb. 6, 1978, New Englanders woke up to clouds instead of snow and assumed the prediction was wrong.

“The Weather Service said, ‘It’s still coming, it’s just late. And it’s coming hard,’” Uccellini said.

Many people – frustrated with a flurry of false alarms earlier in the year – ignored it and drove to work. By the time they realized how bad the storm was, it was too late.

“A lot of people got trapped,” Uccellini said. “A lot of cars got marooned.”

About 3,500 abandoned, snow-covered cars stretched along Route 128 in Massachusetts. Another 1,950 cars were abandoned along thoroughfares in Rhode Island, where one city recorded a record 38 inches of snowfall.

According to Uccellini's research, the storm forced more than 10,000 people into shelters and claimed 99 lives in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. In some cases, authorities found bodies inside cars as travelers died of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to local media accounts.

An aerial photo that ran in the Providence Journal showed a plea someone had stomped in the snow: “This street needs plowing.”

With this tragic history as a backdrop, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick on Friday signed an order banning cars from the roadways after 4 p.m. and threatened jail time for offenders.

Nobody wanted a repeat of the 1978 horror, scenes captured back then in a 13-minute special segment broadcast by Boston’s CBS affiliate after the storm. The story began with shaky video of snowflakes jetting at the camera and showed images of buried cars.

By the end of the segment, though, there were images of clear skies and families enjoying the snow.

As the credits rolled, a song played in the background: The Beatles’ “Here Comes The Sun.”

by Anonymousreply 7902/09/2013

So many people are so stupid. I even have one idiot client who yesterday was trying to pressure me into meeting this morning.

I guess everyone just gets so caught up in the need to have everything done RIGHT NOW -- and work is often the most important thing to some -- that they forget that it's okay to slow down a little bit. We don't know what will happen. Just because it wasn't a horrible disaster last time, it doesn't hurt to exercise just a bit of caution this time around.

Unless someone's life is at stake (believe me, it wasn't in this case), there's nothing that can't wait until this afternoon, or even Sunday morning.

by Anonymousreply 8002/09/2013

I'm stuck in my house, HELP ME!

by Anonymousreply 8102/09/2013

[quote]OMG you can't go out on the streets of Boston or else risk being thrown in jail for a year!!

OMG!

by Anonymousreply 8202/09/2013

Some lady stuck in a car in Suffolk County, Long Island claimed she called 911 5 times "and they were extremely rude," asking her why she was on the road. She said she was on the road at 1 PM.

Another guy who had been stuck all night said he went to work because his company wanted him to be there.

by Anonymousreply 8302/09/2013

I see the snow falling, I am FREAKING OUT right now!!

by Anonymousreply 8402/09/2013

R80 - you are so right on.

by Anonymousreply 8502/09/2013

If it was snowing so hard and accumulating so fast that hundreds of cars got stuck on the L.I.E. then what did she think emergency personnel could do, other than take the call? And she deserved to be lectured. People were told to stay the fuck home. Why didn't the reporter ask her what she does for a living? What does she do that is so important that she needed to go into work for four hours? In a pending blizzard, with an estimated two feet of snow expected for Suffolk county, r83? I call bullshit. People do stupid shit and then expect someone else to risk life and limb to get them out of it.

by Anonymousreply 8602/09/2013

The reporter didn't ask either person where they worked. I would like to have known too. The lady definitely sounded whiny about getting lectured but the other guy wasn't indignant about it.

by Anonymousreply 8702/09/2013

OMG!!!

by Anonymousreply 8802/09/2013

I love how the state of NY is declared in a state of emergency but Broadway shows go on!! I guess the gays are tougher than they think..

by Anonymousreply 8902/09/2013

I can't believe they have to interrupt my tv viewing by having 24 hour non-stop coverage of the storm.

by Anonymousreply 9002/09/2013

I remember working for a drugstore in the late '80s and I was one of a skeleton crew who had to work during a blizzard in case anyone needed a prescription filled. Now you can get prescriptions filled anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 9102/09/2013

This is awful!!

by Anonymousreply 9202/10/2013

A State-by-State Look at the Northeast Blizzard

By The Associated Press

February 8, 2013 (AP)

A look at effects in states and provinces in the path of the massive storm that swept across the Northeast and southern Canada:

———

CONNECTICUT

The storm dumped at least 2 feet of snow throughout Connecticut, paralyzing much of the state. The governor ordered all roads closed Saturday until further notice, and even emergency responders were stuck on highways.

Snowfall totals were even higher in some towns. As of Saturday morning, 34 inches of snow were reported in New Haven, 28 inches in Manchester and 20 inches in Danbury. The National Guard was brought in to help clear snow in New Haven.

The state's largest utility, Connecticut Light & Power, reported power failures affecting 38,000 homes and businesses.

A woman in her 80s was killed Friday night in Prospect by a hit-and-run driver as she was clearing snow, Gov. Dannel Malloy said.

———

MAINE

Portland set a snowfall record of 29 inches, the National Weather Service said, and blowing snow reduced visibility on the coast.

Vehicles, including state police cruisers, were stuck in the deep snow, state police said, warning that stranded drivers should expect long waits for tow trucks. About 12,000 homes and businesses lost power.

Saturday's National Toboggan Championships races were postponed for a day.

———

MASSACHUSETTS

Nearly 22 inches of snow fell in Boston and up to 3 feet was expected, the weather service said, threatening the city's 2003 record of 27.6 inches.

Public transit in the city was suspended, and Logan Airport was closed.

About 400,000 customers lost power in the state, utilities reported. Some were likely to be without power for several days, a spokesman for utility NStar said, adding that the storm caused significant damage, and many areas were too dangerous Saturday to send in crews.

National Guard troops were helping evacuate coastal areas where flooding was feared as high tide approached.

Only 30 stranded drivers were rescued overnight, and state police credited a travel ban, the state's first since the Blizzard of '78, a ferocious storm that dropped 27 inches of snow, packed hurricane-force winds and claimed dozens of lives.

In heavily Catholic Boston, the archdiocese urged parishioners to be prudent and reminded them that, under church law, the requirement to attend Sunday Mass "does not apply when there is grave difficulty in fulfilling this obligation."

———

NEW HAMPSHIRE

Saturday morning's high tide sent waves crashing into closed roads along the seacoast, local police said, but there were no reports of significant damage.

Both Seabrook and East Hampstead saw 26 inches of snow. In Concord, plow driver Jim Pierce said road conditions were awful, and while the fluffy consistency of the snow made it relatively easy to push around, the sheer volume made it a challenge.

Drivers appeared to be heeding the governor's warning to stay off the roads until at least midafternoon.

———

NEW JERSEY

The state was spared the worst of the storm, and the highest snowfalls were spread across northern New Jersey, where River Vale got 15 inches, the National Weather Service reported.

Bus and train service that was suspended Friday night as the storm intensified was restored Saturday, and Newark Liberty Airport reopened Saturday morning after runways were closed overnight for snow removal. Hundreds of flights were canceled.

Flooding, seen on a massive scale during Superstorm Sandy, did not appear to cause major problems.

———

by Anonymousreply 9302/10/2013

NEW YORK

Police had to use snowmobiles to reach ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles, some snowplow trucks and passenger vehicles stranded overnight on the Long Island Expressway. About 10,000 homes and businesses lost power on Long Island, which saw as much as 2½ feet of snow.

About a foot of snow fell New York City, which was "in great shape," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. Plows were out overnight and he said all streets would be cleared by the end of the day. He also promised to send equipment and manpower to harder-hit areas like Long Island and Connecticut if need be.

Airports reopened Saturday, but Amtrak said trains between New York and Boston would be suspended Saturday.

About a foot of snow fell at Rochester's airport in western New York and in Poughkeepsie in the Hudson Valley as well.

———

ONTARIO

At least 350 traffic collisions were reported in Toronto, and at least three people died in southern Ontario.

Many flights were canceled in Toronto, some of them because destination airports in the United States were closed by the snow.

An 80-year-old woman in Hamilton collapsed while shoveling her driveway, and two men were killed in car crashes, one of them in a multi-vehicle collision.

———

PENNSYLVANIA

Parts of the state saw half a foot of snow, including in northeastern Pennsylvania, but the state escaped the brunt of the storm. Snow-covered roads made for treacherous driving overnight, with numerous accidents reported, but no major crashes or road closures.

———

RHODE ISLAND

Residents were urged to stay off the roads to allow crews to clear up to 2 feet of snow. About 180,000 homes and businesses lost power.

Most people appeared to heed the warnings in Providence, where typically busy streets were empty Saturday morning as the wind blew snow into drifts that buried cars and parking lots.

No accidents or injuries were reported on state highways, although dozens of cars got stuck in the snow, state police said.

T.F. Green Airport remained closed Saturday morning and all departing flights for the day were canceled.

———

VERMONT

Wind, not snow or tides, was the issue in Vermont. Ferry service between Charlotte, Vt., and Essex, N.Y., was closed Saturday because of the gusts. Parts of the state saw 10 inches of snow.

by Anonymousreply 9402/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.