Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have a disorder in which I repeat the same word to myself for months.

I don't know why I do it.

A couple of years ago it was "choink."

Now, it's "pugedah." And there's one other I can't remember at the moment.

I say it hundreds of times a week to myself, usually in moments of stress, or when I'm exerting myself carrying a heavy box or something.

I have an injury to my lip from an attack a few years ago and it's slightly misshapen. I wonder if it's my way of getting my lip out of the way.

Or, I could be just standard issue filled up with the crazy.

by Anonymousreply 6402/08/2013

*backing slowly towards the door*

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

OCD

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

Oh, I do that all the time, OP, though not to the extent you do on a daily basis. But it definitely happens.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Don't worry hon, it's your past life coming to the surface!

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

Say 'liquid eyeliner' Dawn.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

I agree with the R2 response. An easy remedy is for you to make a more meaningful life for yourself. Learn something difficult that challenges your mind. With too little to think about, you get caught up with repetitious or meaningless concerns.

If that doesn't work and you find yourself overwhelmed with these words to the point you are overly pre-occupied, then seek some help to uncover some baggage from your past.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

R6 obviously doesn't understand OCD.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

I have the same problem with songs. Do they know it's Christmas is on a loop right now.

I hate Bono. This makes me hate him even more

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

Maybe there is a medication?

If you don't let this illness get away from you, I'd say you will be OK but if you pay too much attention to the problem, it will take over.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

OP, are you Nell?

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

You're coming unwrapped, tighten it up, we all have to keep from falling off the end of our ropes.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

You can't remember a word you repeated to yourself for months?

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

Yep. A form of OCD. Did you start to do this after the attack, OP? Sometimes anxiety disorders, particularly OCD and panic attacks, are precipitated by a major stressful event. Do you have any particular thoughts or fears before you start to repeat the words?

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

OP at link.

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

Me too.

"Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar...."

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2013

R12, crazy, I know.

It's sort of a "secondary" word. I'm sure I'll be uttering it in the next few hours, and then I'll report back.

I have some anxiety in general... high-stress job, out of shape, etc. and yes maybe it grew a smidge after the attack.

It's almost like I say the word to comfort myself. But it brings no comfort. I haven't said it in the last couple of hours.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

I just remembered it: "Hemenah."

It comes after "Pugedah." Maybe 10% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2013

OCD triggered by PTSD

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2013

It's funny, because when I say it, it's in the most matter-of-fact way, like why on earth wouldn't you say that, obviously.

That's all the detail about my weirdness I have to share at present. Have a good night.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2013

Here's a word you should say a lot:

Therapist

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2013

Can I pick your next word? I think it would be fun.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

If I were to incessently repeat a word I'd like it to be patoota-faboota. When I tire of that I shall endlessly repeat "plerp."

I could say it as I squeeze each fingertip in order, over and over again. Squeeze, plerp, squeeze, plerp, sqeeze, plerp....

I am not making fun, it is just the sort of thing I like to do.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

OP, it sounds like an OCD tic. If it bothers you please do consider therapy. There are some techniques that can help thwart such compulsive verbalizing break the loop.

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2013

Choink!

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2013

Echolalia is when you have to say the same word aloud over and over

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2013

I would consult my physician first. It might be OCD, it might be something else like a mild case of tourette syndrome, not echolalia, but maybe palialia.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2013

OP, you know there is a whole lot of google pages and people suffering/questioning exactly the same malady you have described, so you are not alone.

Google: Why do I blurt out things? I shout things out. I scream things uncontrollably.

You will find the groups of people suffering from this thing. The good thing is that the doctors say not to worry about it, since you are not hurting yourself or anyone else.

Good luck, and don't forget to close all of your windows.

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2013

R5, I love you

by Anonymousreply 2802/07/2013

I, like, have this problem too, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013

I used to count to 10 over and over when I was anxious.

by Anonymousreply 3002/07/2013

OMG! you've got all of us repeating "choink" to ourselves!

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2013

I have something similar. It's a tic brought on by intrusive thoughts or shameful memories. If I think about something painful, my brain seizes up and the only relief I get is if I mutter a certain word or group of unrelated syllables.

The medication Nerotonin may help for you.

by Anonymousreply 3202/07/2013

You crazy, OP! But I sort of love you.

by Anonymousreply 3302/07/2013

Sometimes I have the same word in my mind over and over for a long time. A few years ago, I looked up the meaning of "pedantic" over and over during a year or so. Right now it is "troglodyte". I keep thinking it must mean something and I would want to add it to my vocabulary, then I look it up and reject it, but it comes back into my mind and I start wondering what it means, wash, rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 3402/07/2013

I do the same thing OP, repeat made up words or phrases to myself. I often wonder what the hell anyone would think if they heard me.

My husband does it too. Then we have our strange little litany of things we say together.

Kids do this a lot. It's just a coping mechanism.

If you find you're out of control with it, then you might need some help with your anxiety levels.

by Anonymousreply 3602/07/2013

R24, R31, R33, you had me laughing out LOUD!

When you have something so stupid and so personal and it's shared back with you, it's quite a trip.

I heart you.

by Anonymousreply 3702/07/2013

But those aren't even actually "words", are they? They're sounds. I don't know what that difference means but it could mean something.

by Anonymousreply 3802/07/2013

I did this as a kid, like a lot of other so called, "disorders", I eventually outgrew it.

If it doesn't interfere with your daily life, let it be a quirk and enjoy it for being a part of who you are.

by Anonymousreply 3902/07/2013

Security!

by Anonymousreply 4002/07/2013

[quote]Echolalia is when you have to say the same word aloud over and over.

Actually it's when you repeat what *another person* says.

And not necessarily over and over.

Frequently seen in autism and schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 4102/07/2013

What does it mean that my mind strings together things like people with the same last names in a list. Or a list of things like songs like this:

Blue Monday Monday, Monday Rainy Days and Monday

and it just keeps on going?

by Anonymousreply 4202/07/2013

Bazinga!

by Anonymousreply 4302/07/2013

Depends, R42. Do you feel like you have to make those lists or something terrible will happen, or do you just get caught up in the details? Either way, if it doesn’t bother you or stop you from doing or expressing something you want, I see no harm in it. Unless it's something new - in that case go see your doctor.

by Anonymousreply 4402/07/2013

"Blork" is my repetitive word, OP. I've used it for years. My mind also seems to make up words to the rhythm of the washing machine. But I am bipolar 2 and we are known for shit like this lol. For example, bright colors can hurt us physically and we may rhyme or use alliteration a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4502/07/2013

[quote]I have something similar. It's a tic brought on by intrusive thoughts or shameful memories. If I think about something painful, my brain seizes up and the only relief I get is if I mutter a certain word or group of unrelated syllables.

R32, I do this but I use a nonsense phrase that has varied from time to time. I would never consider using pharmaceuticals because I don't perceive it as a problem that requires medication. My safe phrase does that for me by breaking the negative thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 4602/07/2013

For obvious reasons, douching is never far from my mind. Sometimes I'll open my mouth and have to stop myself from saying DOUCHE! My boss would frown upon that.

by Anonymousreply 4702/07/2013

It's simple - stop it!

by Anonymousreply 4802/07/2013

Simple for you, R48. Obviously not so simple to others of us in this thread.

Save your uninformed judgments for celebrities and leave real people alone.

by Anonymousreply 4902/07/2013

OP, you might want to embrace it as a mantra practice. Don't fight it but find through it an opportunity for chanting.

Millions of people do it.

by Anonymousreply 5002/07/2013

OCD, or the beginnings of schizophrenia.

by Anonymousreply 5102/07/2013

That's how I see my "safe phrase," R50. I've used mantras and affirmations in the past and it's all the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 5202/07/2013

"choink"

I repeat phrases, rather than words, to myself. They're typically from films or books.

by Anonymousreply 5302/07/2013

Sounds like "ear worms" (repetitive songs that repeat over and over) without the music, which is something I get when I'm a little bit amped up mentally. It goes away after a while if I don't worry about it. The kind of meditation I do might work--sit quietly for 20 minutes. Whenever you hear yourself say a word (or notice that you are thinking anything for that matter) just say aloud in your mind, "hear in." It's a label. The content is not important. You could also use the label "thinking" whenever you notice any thought, word, etc. While doing this meditation, don't try to make thoughts (or the word) go away, just label it in a generic way. See what happens.

BTW I learned this from a great meditation teacher, Shinzen Young. He lives in Vermont but gives meditations around the country. He has a free book describing this type of meditation on his website. I learned it on several 5-day retreats a few years ago. There is more to this meditation (you can label physical sensations, feelings, visual images, visual rest, etc.), but any part of it is optional.

Don't try to make anything change, just notice what happens over time--maybe nothing. That's ok too.

by Anonymousreply 5402/07/2013

Oh, I can relate to this. When I told a doctor about it, he said I should try Zoloft. I didn't, and I don't really have the time or money to try cutting-edge technology for OCD relief. I just try shifting to some other obsession, which works sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 5502/07/2013

R54 is the one who actually needs help.

by Anonymousreply 5602/07/2013

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 5702/07/2013

Flerm, bitches. Feel it. Flerm.

by Anonymousreply 5802/08/2013

Chanel your energy towards something like learning a new language.

by Anonymousreply 5902/08/2013

For a very brief while, I'd have an urge to shout out "Boom Chaka Laka Boom" when I'd walk into a room full of people I didn't know.

I googled the term and came across a youtube channel filled with people who had the same urge. Ironically, that's when the urge went away.

by Anonymousreply 6002/08/2013

My brother had tics such as clearing his throat repeatedly in his college classroom. The more he focused on it and trying to stop it, the more he would do it.

He has had a lot of therapy over the years and has come to realize that our parents were very punishing and critical of his every move. He learned to forgive our parents over time, and the tics and OCD disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 6102/08/2013

Do you also have two penises???

by Anonymousreply 6202/08/2013

What, what?

by Anonymousreply 6302/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.