Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best Movie Endings ever

Yes, I had to start this thread because (a) there's a worst endings thread and (b) I'm a contrary bitch like that.

What's the best ending, in your opinion - the one that really surprised you, made you happy or scared the bejesus out of you?

by Anonymousreply 15302/14/2013

For me there can be no other: Color Purple.

The moment at the end when the two sisters reunite still wrecks me to this day.

"CELIE!!!!!!! NETTIE!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

I really liked the ending of Spanking the Monkey. The use of "In Spite of Me" by Morphine was just perfect.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

"Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" - I figured that one of them would be killed by the Japs and it would end with the other kneeling at the grave as the Yanks arrived.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Invictus. They win. Hooray!

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

There can be no other answer than "The Sixth Sense."

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

Hard "to top the shawshank redemption for a great ending

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

The end of "Frailty" was good and surprising. Turns out Paxton wasn't crazy after all.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

12 Monkeys and Brokeback Mountain. And for sentimental reasons, An Officer And A Gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

Kathleen Turner on the beach in "Body Heat"

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

The endings of these movies were unforgettable:

"Planet of the Apes" (original, of course)

"Bonnie and Clyde"

The Vanishing (original, of course)

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

"American Graffiti"

"The 400 Blows"

"Au Revoir, Les Infants"

"Annie Hall"

"Das Boot"

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

The best movie endings are Billy Wilder's SUNSET BOULEVARD and SOME LIKE IT HOT.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

Any Gwyneth Paltrow movie where she dies at the end...

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

"Valley of the Dolls"!

Of Course.

That little broad rollin' around in the alley screamin' her ass off!

That's an ending. HA!

Now, get your lousy tail in gear and make me a drink!

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

Nashville. A perfect ending. McCabe and Mrs. Miller isn't too bad either.

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2013

Female Trouble!

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

R14, that's not how VOTD ends. Have you seen it?

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

Shawshank Redemption. Best movie ending ever. After all that pain the chacaters go through, I still leave the movie smiling and in tears with how it ended for the two leads..

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

Dancer in the Dark...

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

The ending of River Phoenix's "Running on Empty" is the most gut wrenching ending ever. I haven't seen the film in fifteen years, and I still can recite it.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

Sixth Sense ending was a TOTAL surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

Midnight Cowboy.

From Here to Eternity.

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.

All Quiet on the Western Front.

Many I'd have chosen are already posted.

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2013

Carrie. Worked for a theater at the time this came out, and we always knew when to throw the doors open for the crowd's exit -- right after the screaming.

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2013

Brokeback mountain

so very sad and poignant.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2013

Some Like It Hot

Hannah and Her Sisters

Bringing Up Baby

The Heiress

A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim)

A Tale of Two Cities (Ronald Colman)

Gone With The Wind

Pan's Labyrinth

The Nun's Story

Queen Christina

The Sixth Sense

Roman Holiday

Smiles of a Summer Night

Sunset Boulevard

Children of Paradise

The Little Foxes

Now, Voyager]

Crimes and Misdemeanors

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2013

The midget in Don't Look Now!

by Anonymousreply 2802/07/2013

Well,That's how it ends for ME baby! Listen r14, I know the film actually ends with Annie finding her voice, leaving Lyon and swinging that god damned stick around. I know! Let an old pro like me have a little fun. Will ya? Now where the hell is the god damned Scotch?

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013

Sorry make that r17!

by Anonymousreply 3002/07/2013

Purple Rose of Cairo

by Anonymousreply 3102/07/2013

I liked the amazing ending to Saved by the Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas when Tiffani's fat face explodes and the gang raises money by selling friendship bands to put it back together again. Tiffani Thiessen Fat Facer

by Anonymousreply 3202/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 3302/07/2013

The unexpected ending of Cinema Paradiso.. heartbreaking and joyous at the same time. Simply stunning.

by Anonymousreply 3402/07/2013

Pixar movies have wonderful endings.

[italic]Wall-E[/italic] - when the shot pulls back to reveal the sea of green saplings. It always makes me gasp a little; absolutely fucking gorgrous.

[italic]Monsters Inc.[/italic] - Sulley opens the door.'Boo?'

[italic]Up[/italic] - the clouds part, and we see Carl and Ellie's house having finally landed by the waterfall. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3502/07/2013

Thelma and Louise.

Children of Men.

by Anonymousreply 3602/07/2013

Femme Fatale

by Anonymousreply 3702/07/2013

Lots of good choices on here. Definitely agree with Shawhshank and The Heiress

Also was moved by the ending of

Schindler's List Places in the Heart Platoon Sophie's Choice The Horse Whisperer

For some reason the closing credits (not necessarily the ending scene) in Cast Away also moved me. Just the sound of the waves cresting as the credits rolled. It just sort of drove the point home how lonely we can all get at times on our own 'island'. (Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 3802/07/2013

Burn After Reading is the absolute best.

by Anonymousreply 3902/07/2013

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown."

by Anonymousreply 4002/07/2013

I second both Thelma and Louise, and Brokeback Mountain. The former because it manages to be both tragic and uplifting at the same time. They beat the men, but they're, uh, dead. (Sorry, spoiler alert.) And the latter because it is just so heartbreaking. There's never a time when I put more than one shirt on a hanger when doing laundry that I don't think about that ending.

by Anonymousreply 4102/07/2013

I always quote the final line after a hookup.

by Anonymousreply 4202/07/2013

It's A Wonderful Life

Dinner at Eight

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming

Cold Turkey

The Producers

Life of Brian

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?

White Heat

Soylent Green

Fight Club

by Anonymousreply 4302/07/2013

Before Sunset "Baby, you are going to miss that plane."

by Anonymousreply 4402/07/2013

The Usual Suspect !

You see him modify his gait and disappear and you know that the policeman will never find him! And you cheer, even if Kaise Sozë is a terrible man.

I also love the ending of Shawshak Redemption and Cinema Paradiso.

Psycho is unforgettable. It kept me from sleeping the first time I saw it as a kid. The shower scene didn't scare me, even though it is intense, because the movie is famous for it and I knew it was going to happen before seeing the movie on tv. I knew the old mother was dead and the son was wearing his dress to go and kill people.

Didn't expect Norman Bates to be "really" in character. His spirit is dead and he is leaving as a evil old lady.

The look on is face at the end was one of the scariest thing for me at the time! And that's the final shot!

by Anonymousreply 4502/07/2013

I was going to post Looking For Mr Goodbar as a joke but really it was a very powerful ending that everyone who has seen the movie, remembers.

by Anonymousreply 4602/07/2013

first to come to mind:

Blair Witch Project. (for the ending, not for the movie overall)

No Country for Old men.

by Anonymousreply 4702/07/2013

The Vanishing (the original - Spoorloos)

Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs: Rouge

by Anonymousreply 4802/07/2013

I actually screamed out loud when the ring fell to the floor in "The Sixth Sense"...the ending totally surprised and shocked me.

I cried so loud like a baby at the end of "Brokeback Mountain" that it took an hour for my friends to calm me down.

I tend to embarrass my friends at the theater, because I tend to become a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 4902/07/2013

[quote]Shawshank Redemption. Best movie ending ever. After all that pain the chacaters go through, I still leave the movie smiling and in tears with how it ended for the two leads..

Yeah, the ending was so uplifting

by Anonymousreply 5002/07/2013

[quote]The midget in Don't Look Now!

I saw that when I was very young, and that scared the heck out of me.

by Anonymousreply 5102/07/2013

I love the ending to (the original) "Taking of Pelham, One, Two, Three"--detective Walter Matthau catches the last surviving subway hijacker (Martin Balsam)literally in the last frames of the film.

Matthau's character has been communicating with the ringleader (Robert Shaw) via two-way radio; the only other hijacker he hears is Balsam's character, who has a bad cold and has been sneezing--and getting "gesundheits" from Walter--throughout the movie. You're kind of pulling for Balsam because he's not a ruthless killer like his accomplices; he was brought in because he's a former train conductor who was fired unfairly. If he hadn't spent those 30 seconds mouthing off to Matthau he would've gotten away with the one million dollar ransom money!

It's Matthau's face at the end that makes the scene!

by Anonymousreply 5202/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 5302/07/2013

All About Eve

by Anonymousreply 5402/07/2013

Who Framed Roger Rabit. The whole cartoon animation song and dance while the real life figures enter into the cartoon sunset background was so over the top cheesy.

Maurice. Scudder and Maurice together while Clive remembering fondly the good ol' times where he and Maurice were still buddies.

Romancing the Stone. Michael Douglas in crocodile boots kissing Kathleen Turner, the love romance novelist on a boat.

by Anonymousreply 5502/07/2013

Glad someone mentioned Pan's Labyrinth.

by Anonymousreply 5602/07/2013

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

There's no place like home.

by Anonymousreply 5702/07/2013

A Passage to India. Judy Davis's wordless facial expression when she looks out of the window into the rain, thinking about Dr. Aziz's final letter to her, is just unforgettable. And then someone calls her away from the window, and the moment is broken forever.

by Anonymousreply 5802/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 5902/07/2013

The Apartment ("Shut up and deal")

2001: A Space Odyssey

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Blair Witch Project

The Shining

Oceans 11 (1960)

Melancholia (scary/devastating)

Rosemary's Baby (ambiguous)

Sorry Wrong Number

The Graduate (ambiguous)

and another vote for The Wizard of Oz, Shawshank Redemption, Thelma & Louise and White Heat

by Anonymousreply 6002/07/2013

And Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

by Anonymousreply 6102/07/2013

Color Purple, Wizard of Oz, and Field of Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 6202/07/2013

The Last Picture Show

by Anonymousreply 6302/07/2013

Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew, Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash and Captain Dallas, are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.

Come on, cat.

by Anonymousreply 6402/07/2013

Some Like It Hot

"Well, nobody's perfect!"

by Anonymousreply 6502/07/2013

Humor: "Some Like it Hot."

Surprise: "The Sixth Sense."

Shock: "Psycho."

Despair: "Breaker Morant."

Revenge: "The Heiress."

Joy: "The Search."

Sports: "Hoosiers."

by Anonymousreply 6602/07/2013

"Grease?" You must be kidding. That movie SUCKED! The ending was trite and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 6702/07/2013

I just liked how everyone was so happy and the car went up in the air. I know it's silly and trite, but it makes me smile R67.

by Anonymousreply 6802/07/2013

Mikey and Nicky.

by Anonymousreply 6902/07/2013

Depressing: Melancholia.

by Anonymousreply 7002/07/2013

Romcom- "Roman Holiday" by far.

It's just too damn bittersweet. Gregory Peck claimed that he and Audrey Hepburn were, in the 70s, willing to be in a sequel but for reasiins not stated, it never happened. I'm glad about that.

Drama- The Godfather, Part II. Michael has been alone all of his life.

Drama- another vote for "Body Heat." The villain thrives!

Too many more to mention...

by Anonymousreply 7102/07/2013

The first Paranormal Activity. Scared the beejeezus out of me.

by Anonymousreply 7202/07/2013

"The Mist" (2007)

From an old Stephen king novella, the movie ending was TOTALLY UNEXPECTED and 100% Non-Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7302/07/2013

My favorite ending of all time is Young Sherlock Holmes with Nicholas Rowe. You have to wait for the very ending, and I mean AFTER the credits, for what I can only describe as a killer movie moment.

by Anonymousreply 7402/07/2013

I saw Carrie in a theater when I was young, and the end caught me so off guard and made me jump so high, I thought I was going to end up in the row behind me.

Umberto D's end is heartbreaking

I really loved the end of Taxi Driver when Cybill Shepherd is in DeNiro's cab. The look in his eyes in the rear view mirror is so beyond creepy, it's no wonder the last few notes of the closing credits score is identical to the music that ends Psycho. (Bott movies were scored by Bernard Herrmann.)

Planet of the Apes

The Truman Show, when he happily goes through the dark doorway to an unknown future

City Lights ("You!")

The voice of Vincent Price is heard at the end of Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein

by Anonymousreply 7502/07/2013

Not perfect, but I still enjoy the ending of "Groundhog Day". You hear "I Got You Babe", think that the day is repeating again and then realize that Bill Murray has won over Andie McDowell and then they both go out to enjoy the new day.

by Anonymousreply 7602/07/2013

Ditto on Carrie, The Color Purple, and Hoosiers. After Carrie, all the horror movies copied the extra scare at the end, but with Carrie, no one expected it.

I'll add Star Wars, Ordinary People, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 7702/07/2013

Clue, all 3 endings.

by Anonymousreply 7802/07/2013

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Planet of the Apes (1968)

The Maltese Falcon

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Dirty Harry

Being There

High Plains Drifter

by Anonymousreply 7902/07/2013

Brokeback Mountain gutted me. When it came out I'd taken a year off from school to try to play professional baseball. I wasn't out and was passing myself off as a straight jock, which wasn't hard to do at all. On a whim, I went to a midnight viewing of Brokeback in Orlando, Florida. When I got out I was so affected and upset that I went into a full fledged panic attack. My hands drew up and my face went numb because I'd completely hyperventilated. I lived in fear of panic attacks for about two months, then I said, "Fuck this," and quit the minor league camp I was in and went back to school. I came out of the closet about a month or two later. I knew that even if I managed to be a successful ball player (which I probably wouldn't have) I'd never be able to be an authentic version of myself. Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist sorta' saved me from a life of hiding. I still can't watch that film, though. Jesus, it's just too fuckin' sad. Hiding who you are never works. It just doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 8002/07/2013

Funny Girl

The Way We Were

Claudine (maybe no one here knows this movie with Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones, but the uplifting ending is great).

by Anonymousreply 8102/08/2013

"The Bad Seed", and they filmed a request after the ending asking that movie-goers refrain from spoiling the experience for others by revealing the ending before they see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 8202/08/2013

I told you ending are the best part.

by Anonymousreply 8302/08/2013

'Cuckoo's Nest', sad/uplifting as that thin poignant tune gains force, and The Indian finishes Jack's work.

'Close Encounters', original cinema cut, when Dreyfus glances back with a look of childlike adventure, set to follow some extraordinary future, which glows with optimism.

'King's Speech', Rush sidelined now, but knowing he's changed Firth's life immeasurably. The King can 'take the stage', even if his therapist now never will.

by Anonymousreply 8402/08/2013

Uhura: It's Starfleet, Captain. They're requesting that we return home... to be decommissioned, sir.

Spock: If I were human I believe my response would be "go to hell."... If I were human.

Commander Pavel Chekov: Course heading, Captain?

Captain James T. Kirk: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

by Anonymousreply 8502/08/2013

Can't be bothered going through all of these, but hope someone has mentioned Before Sunset. Perfect ending to an almost perfect movie. So looking forward to the third instalment but a bit nervous as the first 2 are so brilliant and don't want anything to spoil that.

Also brokeback mountain which rips me apart every time i see it.

And of course the end of some like it hot is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 8602/08/2013

Some Like It Hot's ending is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 8702/08/2013

I still get a chill when I think of the ending to the original "Lord of the Flies".

Many titles here have been nominated many times. Maybe it's time for someone to take the most mentioned ones and put them it a poll that we all can vote on.

by Anonymousreply 8802/08/2013

Dawson's movie.

That 50th load just makes me weep with joy.

by Anonymousreply 8902/08/2013

Hugs, R80. That movie makes me think of all the poor "ex-gays" out there. I just want to take them by the shoulders and shake then and tell them repeatedly "You can be happy!" until they believe it.

by Anonymousreply 9002/08/2013

Black Swan ended with a high, but tragic note.

by Anonymousreply 9102/08/2013

An oldie: King of Hearts, when the "sane" Alan Bates soldier returns to the insane asylum.

by Anonymousreply 9202/08/2013

The Usual Suspects

by Anonymousreply 9302/08/2013

Brokeback Mountain affected so many gays at that time, and it's very hard to watch. Beautiful film, but extremely tragic. It's not for gays that get very emotional or sensitive.

by Anonymousreply 9402/08/2013

R86, I have a good friend who saw the 3rd "Before" movie and he said, it might well be the best of the three. He couldn't stop gushing. This is someone whose taste I trust. So here's hoping!

by Anonymousreply 9502/08/2013

R79, you beat me to it. I was also going to say Being There. I always hoped for a sequel and it is a shame that Peter Sellers is dead and could not reprise the role of Chance.

by Anonymousreply 9602/08/2013

Chinatown Mildred Pierce

by Anonymousreply 9702/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 9802/08/2013

The end of Deliverance. It's Carrie-like. (But before Carrie)

Of course, it's not a horror movie, that's why I jumped even more: I didn't expect it.

You are almost getting sleepy with the protagonist and then: Boo!

by Anonymousreply 9902/08/2013

Thanks R95 - read some reviews and they are overwhelmingly positive so I have high hopes. Not sure anything can top the 2nd movie though.

by Anonymousreply 10002/08/2013

Empire of the Sun

I saw it not long after my mother died. Just being held in his mother's arms and that look of relief and pure bliss on his face. I blubbered like a baby. In fact I am tearing up right now.

by Anonymousreply 10102/08/2013

I like the ending of "Signs", even though it's contrived or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 10202/08/2013

Oh, yes, R101, Empire of The Sun has one of the most touching, sober endings. It must have been hard to sit through this scene after the death of a loved one. I,M sorry you went through this.

by Anonymousreply 10302/08/2013

That's very sweet of you, R103. It was hard but uplifting.

Made me very happy for those who have their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 10402/08/2013

The Empire Strikes Back

by Anonymousreply 10502/08/2013

The Sixth Sense. I didn't see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 10602/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 10702/08/2013

The Grave of the Fireflies -- you knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending but damn, that ending gets you crying

by Anonymousreply 10802/08/2013

Some Like It Hot.

Planet of The Apes.

Gone With the Wind.

City Lights.

The Miracle Worker.

Les Diaboliques.

The Innocents.

by Anonymousreply 10902/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 11002/08/2013

"Brokeback Mountain" - I was a mess in the theater and, really, for days afterwards. It's still heartbreaking all these years later.

I will never forgive the Academy.

by Anonymousreply 11102/08/2013

The Dream a Little Dream dance that ended Beautiful Thing.

by Anonymousreply 11202/08/2013

[quote]I will never forgive the Academy.

That [italic]deserves[/italic] a "MARY!"

but I totally agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 11302/08/2013

Brokeback Mountain - gutted me

Tekkonkinkreet - Hopeful-ish?

Sunshine - flawed third act, but I still loved the overall mood and message. I didn't appreciate what happened with the other ship, but I'd have been very upset if it had ended any other way (which had nothing to do with the contrived horror-ish storyline). But then, I'm a Danny Boyle fan. YMMV.

by Anonymousreply 11402/08/2013

Yes, Se7en was a good ending.

by Anonymousreply 11502/08/2013

who didn't cry at the end of Brokeback?

by Anonymousreply 11602/08/2013

Just posted in the favourite movies thread which reminded me of the ending of The Lives of Others, absolute lump in throat every time i see it.

by Anonymousreply 11702/09/2013

[quote]Yes, Se7en was a good ending.

Any movie that ends with Gwyneth's severed head in a box is a good ending.

by Anonymousreply 11802/09/2013

The greatest ending for any movie ever is to my mind in "The Palm Beach Story." It explains the joke behind the credits, which make absolutely no sense when you first watch it (though it does have an explanation). By the end of the movie, you've almost forgotten about the credits, but then the plot can only be worked out BECAUSE of the underlying situation the joke is about (that no one has referred to until just that second).

by Anonymousreply 11902/09/2013

The Godfather. I can't watch the whole thing often but the final scenes where all the heads of the familed are whacked in different settings while the baptism is going on is great.

by Anonymousreply 12002/09/2013

"And Then There Were None", or "Ten Little Indians"

The Enchanted Cottage.

by Anonymousreply 12102/10/2013

1958's The Blob

Hands down the best movie ending ever.

by Anonymousreply 12202/10/2013

Like all threads requesting movies to be named, eventually every movie ever made will be listed, helped by those who take the opportunity to list every movie they can remember. If a movie had an ending, you will find it here.

by Anonymousreply 12302/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 12402/10/2013

This one. Tingles!

by Anonymousreply 12502/10/2013

Breakfast at Tiffany's - the all time greatest scene in any movie.

Black Swan

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 12602/10/2013

Fascinating, R125. I'd never even heard of that movie before. My curiosity has been piqued.

by Anonymousreply 12702/10/2013

Big Fish.

by Anonymousreply 12802/10/2013

The ending of Costner's "No Way Out" was pretty darn awesome!

by Anonymousreply 12902/10/2013

The ending of "Crash" was stupendous. So powerful.

by Anonymousreply 13002/13/2013

Sister Act II: Back in the Habit

by Anonymousreply 13102/13/2013

131 posts (and a helluva lot more movies named) and STILL no-one's mentioned [bold]Dr. Strangelove Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb[/bold]?

by Anonymousreply 13202/13/2013

Death Becomes Her.

Goldie's head spinning around upside down - "Do you remember where you parked the car?"

by Anonymousreply 13302/13/2013

Many mentioned above, and "Lars And The Real Girl." A sweet ending to a perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 13402/13/2013

Someone already mentioned it: The Vanishing/Spoorloos (later remade but with a different, less scary ending)

Don't Look Now - the ending is haunting and spooky

The Wicker Man

by Anonymousreply 13502/13/2013

The endings of 'The Goodbye Girl' and 'It's a Wonderful Life'

by Anonymousreply 13602/13/2013

And we learned that each of us is an athlete, a brain, a rebel, a princess, and a basket case. Does that answer your question?

Fist pump!!!

by Anonymousreply 13702/13/2013

r34, Cinema Paradiso still gets to me to this day. You’re not a true film aficionado if you’re not moved by that ending.

I created a Pandora station titled “Brokeback Mountain” that plays tracks from the soundtrack plus romantic music or music with a new age aesthetic, mostly instrumental. Whenever I hear the closing tune to Brokeback, I have to get quiet with myself and just take it in and I can see that “Jack, I swear” and that glorious last shot looking out of the window as clear as day. Yes, it’s sad but it never fails to move me because it reminds me what a truly beautiful picture that was.

by Anonymousreply 13802/13/2013

Sorry, R125, that is boring. Someone posted that before in a thread and I thought the same thing then. Not into barbershop quartet or choral type singing at all.

by Anonymousreply 13902/13/2013

Disagree about The Bad Seed r82. The movie ending was totally changed from the book and not for the better.

by Anonymousreply 14002/13/2013

Valley Girl.

by Anonymousreply 14102/13/2013

Les Miserables - because the piece of shit was finally over.

by Anonymousreply 14202/13/2013

[quote]I really loved the end of Taxi Driver when Cybill Shepherd is in DeNiro's cab.

I think that's supposed to be a fantasy on Travis' part. That he becomes some kind of hero for saving Iris, which is highly unlikely. Some people argue that everything that happens after the shoot out is imagined and that Travis dies, possibly killing himself. We see him pantomime shooting himself in the head.

In any case, I don't think the final scene with Shepherd can be taken as happening in reality.

by Anonymousreply 14302/13/2013

Close Encounters

Brokeback Mountain

And are we allowed to include a TV movie? Because I thought "The Spell" from 1977 had a fan-fucking-tastic ending that I still remember so vividly to this day. When the teenage witch who had causing so much havoc and destruction tried to use her power on her mother but was taken aback when her mother used HER power on her, then screamed "How can this be! I've got the power!" to which her mother replied "Where do you think you got the power from?"

Fucking loved that shit.

by Anonymousreply 14402/13/2013

Kill Bill

by Anonymousreply 14502/13/2013

I loved the ending to Shakespeare in Love, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 14602/13/2013

The " I drink your milkshake" scene in There will be Blood. The music that followed that scene was a great choice for the ending as well. Among the best acting I have ever seen. Well it's a PTA movie.

by Anonymousreply 14702/14/2013

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. One of the greatest ironic TWIST endings ever. Turns out, the villianous Jane was the victim all along, and the victimized Blanche was actually the villain. "and all this time we could have been friends!..." BRILLIANT!

by Anonymousreply 14802/14/2013

Dancer in the dark.

It changed me.

by Anonymousreply 14902/14/2013

Yep R148, I remember watching it as a kid and being really surprised by the ending and the revelation.

[quote]I thought "The Spell" from 1977 had a fan-fucking-tastic ending that I still remember so vividly to this day. When the teenage witch who had causing so much havoc and destruction tried to use her power on her mother but was taken aback when her mother used HER power on her, then screamed "How can this be! I've got the power!" to which her mother replied "Where do you think you got the power from?"

Wow, I'm pretty sure I watched this back when it aired in the 70's and I'd forgotten all about it over the years, but your description brings it all back - great ending!

by Anonymousreply 15002/14/2013

Eyes Wide Shut

by Anonymousreply 15102/14/2013

So many fantastic films mentioned here. This really is DL at it's best. I loved the ending of Jaws when I was a kid.

I literally wet my pants when the head popped out of the boat earlier in the film and sat there in a damp state of terror until the damn shark was blown to pieces. Schneider's "Smile, you son of a bitch" was music to my little Aussie ears.

by Anonymousreply 15202/14/2013

Blazing Saddles!

by Anonymousreply 15302/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!