Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Joel McHale talks about working with Chevy Chase and the "N-word" controversy on Howard Stern

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2015

Chase sounds like a clinical narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

Fine, but too bad we can't hear the complete interview. It's only a minute or two, a teaser clip, for those curious.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

I think Chase's problems go beyond just narcissism. He's also abusive towards women: he was so cruel and openly abusive towards Jane Curtin when he came back to SNL in the late 70s that he and Bill Murray--who gallantly came to Curtin's rescue--got into a fistfight.

Whatever his problems are, I would not work with him if I could possibly avoid it. I am amazed why people in Hollywood keep re-hiring him. He was a star for a period because he was very handsome and he came across onscreen as very affable. But he's lost his looks and everyone knows now he's not at all affable in real life, and he brings all his psychological baggage and bullshit to every project he does.

He doesn't need the work either--even without the millions he made from the Vacation movies and the Fletch movies he's a trust fund brat. He should just retire.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Do you have any more details about the Jane Curtin thing? Why did he pick on her?

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

Some of the more insecure male comedians in the original SNL cast did not behave well to Curtin because she was quiet and did not hang out with the rest of them to do drugs. They were more comfortable with Gilda, who was everybody's adored buddy, or Laraine, who was incredibly insecure and wanted to fuck all the men so they'd like her more. Jane was considered the prettiest of the women at the time but she was married and had a quiet and happy home life. The women liked her, and men like Ackroyd respected her (although eh didn't understand her), and Bill Murray had a big crush on her (he was younger than the rest of them).

The other thing is that Curtin's real gifts were subtler than most of the men's or Gilda's--she is probably the best 'straight women" in the business since Margaret Dumont, and so her best gifts were in making the real clowns (like Gilda, Belushi, and Ackroyd) seem all the funnier by reacting to them so brilliantly. (Think of the Roseanne Roseannadanna sequences, for example.)

Ackroyd and Gilda got that at the time, but Belushi was puzzled by it--it wasn't until he left SNL to do movies that he recognized that, except for when you're doing stand-up, comedy depends as much upon reaction and interaction as it does on just getting up there and being funny. And Chase has never been a team player--everything is always about him and him alone.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

Chase came back to host SNL after quitting and assumed he'd be doing Weekend Update alone as he had when he was still a cast member. Jane Curtin replaced Chevy as host of WU and was rightfully upset that he expected her to step aside. He made disparaging remarks about her abilities and that combined with all his other asshole-ish behavior that week and the built up resentment about him leaving the show for Hollywood set Murray off.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

Full interview.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

R5: Post Of The Day award.

Close second: R7, for that additional insight.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

I read that he said he agreed to do Community because his wife wanted to go on some expensive vacations.

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

Bill Murray was always a more talented and charming man, and proves that to this day.

by Anonymousreply 1202/19/2015

R11 that woman story is total revisionist bullshit. He left because William Morris was blowing smoke up his ass that he could be some major movie star. It totally went to his head and he left.

by Anonymousreply 1302/19/2015

Chase is a nutjob and he looked like he was on death's door at the SNL 40.

by Anonymousreply 1402/19/2015

[quote]Didn't she also negotiate with management on behalf of the cast at some point?

Yes, the cast chose Jane to represent them at contract negotiations with NBC.

by Anonymousreply 1502/19/2015

[quote]That woman story is total revisionist bullshit.

It's not revisionist - that's exactly what he said at the time. That he wanted to spend more time in L.A. with his girlfriend.

One of the female writers called it the "blame the bitch" approach.

by Anonymousreply 1602/19/2015

"Chase is a nutjob and he looked like he was on death's door at the SNL 40."

But MY crazy will cut to the Chase.

by Anonymousreply 1702/19/2015

Joel is gorgeous and just keeps getting better-looking.

I would drain him dry many, many times a day.

by Anonymousreply 1802/20/2015

Im watching Vacation right now - still one of my favorite comedies, along with Fletch - and I always would like to think that his rep was overblown. Makes me sad - especially because my father literally WAS Clark Griswold, or really, kind of Chevy Chase-ish in general. Bumbling and singing all those exact songs (Swing Low Sweet Chariot) in baritone. But was smooth and smart ass at the same time. Truly all the mannerisms down pat. I swear someone must have had all our cars tapped growing up.

I've always kind of written him off as your basic male chauvinist but his issues seem to go way deeper than that. You also expect people like that to mellow with age and if anything it seems like he has gotten more pathological. Which makes me sad because, at his peak, I was (and still am) admittedly a huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 1902/20/2015

I'm still fascinated by Joel. Over Twenty years ago he was on local Seattle television and was at best a lumpy dork. He has certainly found the fountain of hotness.

by Anonymousreply 2002/20/2015

I know what you mean, R19. I loved Fletch & the Vacation movies growing up. I guess I've never had a real problem separating the art or entertainment from the creator - I still think Woody Allen & Roman Polanski made some great movies, for example. And if Chevy is "just" a jerk and a narcissist, he's hardly a rarity in Hollywood - and there are plenty worse...sociopaths, rapists, right-wing loonies, etc. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 2102/20/2015

this is a dated topic, it is from an interview in 2013. And the show has recently been cancelled.

Who cares about Chevy Chase!?!

by Anonymousreply 2202/20/2015

R21 yeah I generally agree with you (although it's easier to separate with directors vs a major comic persona - although I guess Woody is that, too). It's just disappointing that he continues to carry all that (and maybe is even worse?) into his old age. I think we can almost always forgive those who become dicks once they get famous (especially the men) but once they've been kicked down and age and enter that has-been territory we typically expect them to mellow so we can sort of say to ourselves - hey, they really weren't so bad after all, blah blah.

Whatever, I still enjoy his good movies a ton, and, for whatever it's worth, I saw him a bunch of times last summer (of 2013) in East Hampton, and at the very least he seems congenial around the people he really knows and a good family man. He's probably just so bitter about his career knocks at this point that he hates working altogether and takes it out on his co-workers - and probably should just retire outright.

by Anonymousreply 2302/20/2015

Nobody remembers the horror show that was the Chevy Chase late-night talk show?

by Anonymousreply 2402/20/2015

Yes, I remember that. He had no idea how to do a talk show and no skill for banter which is required. It was embarrassing. Some of the guests had to help him get through it.

Ironically, one of his "bits" on the shw was to have the audience dance in their seats, and he was criticized for that. Now Ellen does that every day, as far as I know.

by Anonymousreply 2502/20/2015

Community will be on yahoo

by Anonymousreply 2602/20/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!