Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it possible for subway tunnels to collapse?

This has been on my mind since Sandy. As we know the tunnels/equipment were it possible that the structures have weakened and could collapse? Would the East River flood the stations if that happened? What about the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel/Holland Tunnel/etc, can they just cave in? Would you drown?

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013

The amount of damage that would have to be done in order to get a tunnel to collapse would be so extensive, it is very unlikely you or anyone would even be in the tunnel in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

And I'm talking about the tunnels that go from borough to borough (i.e. Brooklyn to Manhattan)

What about the N train on the Manhattan bridge? I'm always afraid that something will happen to the track and the train will be sent careening into the river.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

if the tunnel floods for some time, yes

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

How about an earthquake? There must be a point on the Richter Scale that would rupture a tunnel, but perhaps there is nothing that could damage them enough for water to enter, just have some mud?

Are they rated on a once in a thousand year quake, or once in ten thousand?

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2013

Sure it is. Anything's possible OP.

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2013

I wonder that myself if there is an earthquake--not only that but all those dams in Tennessee built by the TVA in the 1930s make me wonder too about collapse should there be an earthquake like the one in 1811 in that same general area. I understand in that one the Mississippi River flowed backwards for certain amount of time. The thing is, then there were relatively few people in that area since it was then considered frontier. One can't begin to imagine the disaster to this countryand the world if an earthquake like that should happen again.

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2013

It's an interesting quake, and projecting the damage should a similar quake occur today just mind-boggling...

by Anonymousreply 802/08/2013

They are not tunnels. They are actually tubes.

by Anonymousreply 902/08/2013

Isn't the Boston Big Dig dropping concrete and springing leaks?

by Anonymousreply 1002/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!