Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think women should be allowed to go shirtless?

I never understood why men can strut around without shirts while women cannot. Not that I'm complaining of course, since I am a gay male who does not want to see those mammories jiggling in my face, but I just never understood the rationale. I would think that nice rack on a chick is just as erotic as a nice set of pecs on a guy. For me, one of the best parts of spring and summer is the ability to ogle hot shirtless guys. When you think about it, it's kind of tragic that straight men and lezzies can't leer at shirtless titties. Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 3602/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

I don't see anything wrong with boobs on display. Just no vadge, please...

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

" mammories"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Oh good lord. I have no opinion about this issue and I don't want to be Nan Michygan womyn but... I do wish people would see this as the one obvious example of how men and women are simply NOT treated equally in our culture.

It's not just about being shirtless or not. Frankly, I have no desire to walk about without a shirt (Ok maybe on a really hot day in the summer it would be lovely to walk out on the deck in my pjs and nothing else- just like the boys get to do) but the fact is a woman's body is STILL seen as alien or lewd object that needs to be hidden from delicate eyes. WHY?

If this world were truly equal a woman's breasts would be no more fascinating than her shoulders, her hair, her face. Some boobs would be great to notice, some would not and no one would give a god damn.

It demonstrates that women's bodies are to be governed by Men and Men's rules. That is just a plain simple fact.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

Yes, of course. There is no valid reason for woman to not be able to walk around topless while men are.

Of course, men and women have - by and large - very different bodies. But so what? There is no reason for women's chests to not be able to be exposed while men's chests can.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

In Canada it's been legal for women to do that for more than 20 years now. The Supreme Court ruled laws forbidding it were unconstitutional on the grounds that they discriminated based on gender.

Of course the womon who brought the case to court was a major lesbo.

Not bad tits though.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

Misty water-colored mammories

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

I feel the same way about that as I do about nudity; frankly, most people look better with their clothes ON.

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

Fuck, no. Boobs are ugly.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

Agree R11. Those things are gross.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

R11 and R12 Well, we know you two aren't proud masculine douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

[quote]I would think that nice rack on a chick is just as erotic as a nice set of pecs on a guy.

You're getting at the issue here. It's better than nice for straight men. A set of breasts is a greater erotic stimulus to straight men than a pecs are to gay men. Add in the erect pencil eraser sized (and larger) nipples that inevitably pop up in a breeze and the chubbies stiffen further. Women generally don't get a throbbing clit response when they see shirtless men (unless there's a pre-existing attraction).

[quote]but the fact is a woman's body is STILL seen as alien or lewd object that needs to be hidden from delicate eyes. WHY?

See above. The idea is to disentangle what's "lewd" from what's "erotic."

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

Women's breasts are highly sexualized, I think therein lies the problem, even though they do nothing for me, straight men can't control themselves, it would be a mess, if they did it would put them at risk for sexual harassment & quite possibly rape, so no

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

I teach at a liberal arts college where the women often go about shirtless or naked on sunny days (though not in class itself). It's not pretty.

There are also sometimes boys who want to go around naked, and they tend to be more aggressive and try to see if they can get away with going to class naked or shirtless. None of the professors will put up with it. If you think about it, it's too distracting, even when it might be erotic.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2013

[quote]Fuck, no. Boobs are ugly.... Those things are gross.

And if you live to fifty, you shall have them too.

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2013

[quote]A set of breasts is a greater erotic stimulus to straight men than a pecs are to gay men.

How is it possible for anyone to know this?

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2013

Pecs turn me on more than dick.

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2013

And nipples...don't get me started. The male nipple, properly pumped and placed, OMFGIH...

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2013

R15 how do you function in the world? Do you not have female relatives, friends, a mother? You make me sick.

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2013

Speaking of male nipples...

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2013

I understand your point, R19. I'm basing this on the way I hear (some) straight men talk about breasts to the point of fixation. Of course, there are individual and cultural differences. Europe and Asia seem to be more immune to artificially enlarged breasts.

by Anonymousreply 2402/06/2013

I hear ya R15. If only.

by Anonymousreply 2502/06/2013

If women weren't allowed, there would never be any more gay men. Alas!

by Anonymousreply 2602/06/2013

They can wear shirts in public *and* make gay men, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2702/06/2013

Women can't wear shirts or make gay men if they don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2013

Everyone should go naked all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2902/06/2013

Only if they are wearing a hat and gloves.

by Anonymousreply 3002/06/2013

Thank you for the Canada info; I'd like to hear about European countries where topless beaches are the norm--can women walk down the street unencumbered as well?

And I vote yes. Fair's fair.

by Anonymousreply 3102/06/2013

[quote]straight men can't control themselves

Therein lies the bullshit line. YES men CAN control themselves but they're taught they don't have to.

The line that "boys will be boys" is bullshit. If culture taught men to fucking behave themselves it would be a different story but let's be real men are given the permission to act out and then blame their penis.

There are many things that need to be fixed about out culture before women are made to feel safe and equal. Going topless isn't going to fix it but it just highlights the obvious inequity and double standard.

by Anonymousreply 3202/06/2013

Not until men "grow up" and learn some manners. Men can be really crude and rude and extremely immature. At Vegas "European style" pools, they have to pay girls to walk around topless, to justify the outrageous prices men pay to get in. Girls soon learn that they have to put up with gross comments and totally undesirable touching, even if they keep their tops on.

by Anonymousreply 3302/06/2013

I think NYC passed a law that whever men are shirtless women can do the same. However I think most breasts look beter in bras.

by Anonymousreply 3402/06/2013

Yes, of course women will not be equal until they can go shirtless in public just as men can.

Certainly at beaches it already seems absurd that women are unable to go topless except at nude beaches in the US. They should challenge this shit and stand up for their rights.

by Anonymousreply 3502/06/2013

What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 3602/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!