Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My boss is redefining my job

I am being given more and more tedious office-monkey work that is not under my job description. He also keeps telling people that I will do tasks for them, i.e. spreadsheets for Bob, pdf forms for Anne, etc. and then he volunteers me train them in other software that I barely know myself.

So I'm having to become an office instructor and personal data collector all under the same title and pay rate with not a chance at promotion.

What the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013

does he have a big dick? can you suck him off?

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

You're being used as a doormat. Unfortunately he has already seen that you are ok with being his doormat. You won't be able to change that opinion now. You need to put up and shut up or find another job. I speak from experience.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

Get off DL

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

R2 is completely right. And you boss will be giving you more and more to do. Essentially having you do three jobs for the price of one.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

He is trying to get rid of you without actually firing you. Find a new job.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

Tell him no, he won't fire you. As you know, usually the shittiest employees always keep their jobs. Learn to say, no. Say it quietly but say it.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

R5 could be right too.

I took my boyfriend to the year end function and then I ended being overworked out of the company. I could've stayed and fought it but I decided to rather leave and not have a breakdown at work. If your manager doesn't like you he will find a way to make you leave. Overworking people is the easiest way to get rid of someone you don't like but can't fire for lack of performance.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

You're a corporate whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

Molly, you in danger girl.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

My boss is doing this to me, too. I am looking for another job.

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

If you make more then they want to pay for the position, they will find a way to get rid of you and hire cheaper labor. It's corporate America and unless we stand up for each other...none of us has a chance.

I once had a manager who left, did none of the year end reports and taught no one else how to do them. She didn't attend her going away dinner either. I thought it was a rather nice touch and a very sweet fuck you to the guy who annoyed her till she had to leave.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

R5 is right, he wants you to quit. If you don't he'll keep giving you more projects and less time to complete them untill the quality of your work drops and it will be easy to fire you. Find another job now.

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2013

Go to HR and complain. Get a copy of your job description and compare it to what you doing currently. Document everything and start looking for another job.

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2013

[quote] Go to HR and complain.

HAHAHAHA! Oh, my sides.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2013

Don't believe R13. HR is not there for you as an employee they are there for the COMPANY. Don't ever trust anyone in HR. The less you say to them the better.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2013

R14 I know it probably won't help but if he gets fired he will have it on record if he needs to file for unemployment. He could hire an attorney but I doubt he has that kind of money to burn.

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2013

I'd do whatever he asks while vigilantly perusing a new job. Suck it up and smile and then when you give your two weeks notice, you can gloat knowing that those people are still trapped with your miserable boss.

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2013

Just order some vietnamese food!

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2013

I'm a manager and have redefined the job of some on my team simply because they were not all that effective at part of the job they were supposed to do.

The alternative was dismissal, so congratulations on the continued paycheck OP.

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

Why not look at this as an opportunity? He thinks you're good at something Bob and Anne aren't. Say you'd love to train them on the new software, but you need to gain proficiency first. Is there training/seminar on the software available? Get the info and cost on it, and tell your boss you'd like the company to invest in your training.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

Count your blessings. My boss eliminated mine!

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

The same thing is happening to me, OP--being saddled with stupid and time consuming monkey tasks that have nothing to do with my real work. R17 is absolutely, positively dead on correct. Start looking. Right now I am pursuing some very good leads while draining my vacation time, a few days at a time. I hope to have an exit very much like the one described in R11's post. Employers are pulling all kinds of shit these days BECAUSE THEY CAN and for no other reason. And the advice about HR is also dead on--NEVER have any kind of interaction with HR.

Start looking, and get the hell out. A situation like this will only get worse. Take it from one who knows.

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!