Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tommy Lee Jones played Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln

Yet he's about to win his second Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

OP = Christoph Waltz

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

He's dead to me ever since he became the TV shill for TD Ameritrade, a horrible company that funds many GOP candidates.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

How do we know for sure he's going to win, OP?

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Totally agree, OP. I cringed every time he was on the screen. It was the first time I've heard of a Pennsylvanian with a Texas advent.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

I agree as well. He's one of those actors that is the same in every role. I always see Tommy Lee Jones on the screen instead of the character he is portraying.

Same with Matthew McConaughey, Demi Moore, Michael Douglas, Ashley Judd, Rene Zellwiger, and others who I can't think of right now.

Loved him in Coal Miner's Daughter but after that it was the same old schtick every time. I was surprised he got the Oscar nom in Lincoln as I thought he was the weakest one in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

You're right. Good actors should only portray the EXACT accent of the time and place they're pretending to me should be.

That is why Les Miserable is sooooo very good. Right?

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

Maybe his latest work has begun to typecast him but I beg to differ when it comes to his entire career;

JFK: He was a FLAMBOYANT and devious gentleman queer

Lonesome Dove: An amazing and subtle performance with some very heart wrenching moments. He manages to find the human being under a very craggy cowboy stereotype.

Heaven and Earth: At times terrifying and sad with a great cathartic break down towards the end. He bawls his eyes out in this movie. The performance was more than movie was worth.

He does show some great range even if his accent is the same. So what?

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

He should not win and I hope he doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

Is this movie worth seeing is you aren't American?

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

Let's get real though.

An Actor winning is rarely about their performance in one single movie.

It's about the actor's career, their place in the hierarchy or the message and popularity of the movie itself.

David Strathairn should have been nominated as well but his stock isn't strong enough anymore and he's just not that interesting or on the radar for good Oscar publicity. TLJ is.

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

He's a polo player. He used to play in Dallas sometimes and was very rude to my sister in law. Since then, I've never liked him but I have sometimes liked his work. In the right role he's pretty good.

He's the one co-star Meryl didn't.. uh... well, she did not know him in the biblical sense.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

I agree with the OP, but I caught some of No Country For Old Men the other day and it's TLJ doing TLJ again but he's incredible all the same in that. I would have given him awards for it that time. Not for Lincoln though. It's a lazy performance, outacted by a wig.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

I really think he's an aspy.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

[quote] gentleman queer

I want a business card that says this.

Gentleman Queer, Chief Clerks Taught How to Dance.

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

[quote]they're pretending to me should be

Please type in English next time.

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2013

[quote]Let's get real though. An Actor winning is rarely about their performance in one single movie. It's about the actor's career.

But he already has an Oscar, one that should have gone to Ralph Fiennes. He doesn't need another one and certainly not one for a mediocre performance. The person who claims he was outacted by a wig nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

"You're right. Good actors should only portray the EXACT accent of the time and place they're pretending to me should be.

That is why Les Miserable is sooooo very good. Right?"

I didn't like the Les Mis movie and I hadn't even considered Jones's accent as a problem before this thread, but:

When it comes to accents, you can't compare a movie about in English set in the U.S. with American characters with a movie in English set in France with French characters. In the first case, one can legitimately expect that the accents are consistent with the characters' regional status.

In the second, one certainly wouldn't want the characters to all speak in French accents. You don't go to see an English-language production of A Doll's House expecting Norwegian accents, The Three Sisters expecting Russian accents, or The House of Bernarda Alba expecting Andalucian accents. Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2013

[quote]David Strathairn should have been nominated as well but his stock isn't strong enough anymore and he's just not that interesting or on the radar for good Oscar publicity.

I agree. Strathairn may not have had as flashy a role, but he was just as good. And Secretary of State Seward was a more important figure in Lincoln's circle than the Jones character. But Strathairn isn't that interested in the Awards scene. He already has a Best Actor nomination and can do the films he wants.

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2013

I thought TLJ was excellent in JFK and should have won an Oscar for that performance - not the one he stole from Ralph Fiennes, for The Fugitive, no less.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2013

He was hot as the cop in "Eyes of Laura Mars"

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2013

[quote]I thought TLJ was excellent in JFK and should have won an Oscar for that performance

Totally disagree - TLJ was solid in his role, as were the rest of the cast, but the Supporting Actor nomination should have gone to Donald Sutherland. He had the most memorable and important scene in the entire film as Mr. X. He's the one who brilliantly laid out the entire sinister nature of the military-industrial complex.

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2013

There's nothing quite like seeing someone hot and new and exciting in his or her first film.

Then you see their second and you see the same basic essence, the same performance, the same nuances.

Then you realize they're not acting. They're behaving.

Bill Murray used to say that about Marsha Mason when she was nominated for playing roles written for her by her (then) husband Neil Simon who'd write parts based on her, his second wife.

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2013

sounds like judd apatow and his wife.

but relax, DeNiro will win for Silver Linings Playbook.

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2013

[quote]DeNiro will win for Silver Linings Playbook.

I doubt it. Has De Niro won at any of the other awards shows yet?

by Anonymousreply 2402/06/2013

Since all the Best Supporting nominees have Oscars already, it really doesn't matter, does it?

They're ALL ugly and they're all good.

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2013

right - if you're not American, Abraham Lincoln has no meaning for you. And if you're not Italian, Julius Caesar is a meaningless character from a meaningless time. right.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2013

Jones didn't show up to the SAG Awards, which would have given him a chance to undercut the perception that he's the grumpiest person in Hollywood.

In contrast, De Niro has been on a media blitz right now. He's everywhere, right as voting is about to begin, and with Harvey pushing him he's probably campaigning even harder with Academy members than the general public would know.

This is probably the most competitive acting race in fifteen years (I wouldn't rule out any of the five completely), but I think De Niro takes it.

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2013

Why would De Niro want another Oscar at his age?

by Anonymousreply 2802/07/2013

He played himself in everything that required him to be himself, and he did good in Lincoln, his delivery was powerful and satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 2902/07/2013

I can understand OP's point about it wasn't too much of a stretch for Jones, but after seeing the movie, I have to say his accent wasn't that bad. People have a regional prejudice against the Texan lilt but it wasn't as strong as Jones can make it. Not by a long shot.

After reading about the character I can see why they cast him. Thaddeus Stevens was a hard-nosed but logical idealist SOB and a major player in the passing of this amendment. He was also outspoken not just blacks, but also Native Americans, Jews, and other minorities- well before anyone in the Government else was.

In the movie he was a great orator and very well spoken when lobbing insults at other people- which Jones is perfect for.

Jones was really good when playing Stevens at his radically and rascally [italic]this-is–RIGHT-and-you-can-go-fuck-yourself[/italic] best.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.