Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tagg Romney won't seek Kerry's Senate seat

No, there will not be a Senator Romney anytime soon.

Looking to quiet chatter that he's considering running in the special election to fill newly-minted Secretary of State John Kerry's Massachusetts Senate seat, Mitt Romney's eldest son Tagg issued a statement today breaking the news to supporters: "The timing is not right."

"I have been humbled by the outreach I received this weekend encouraging me to become a candidate for the U.S. Senate," he said. "I love my home state and admit it would be an honor to represent the citizens of our great Commonwealth. However, I am currently committed to my business and to spending as much time as I can with my wife and children.

"The timing is not right for me," the statement continued, "but I am hopeful that the people of Massachusetts will select someone of integrity, vision, and compassion as our next U.S. Senator."

Longtime Reps. Ed Markey, D-Mass., and Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., are the only candidates to have formally declared bids. So far, all high-profile Republican prospects to take on the two veteran Democrats have petered out.

Since would-be GOP frontrunner, former Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., announced last week he would not seek the seat, former Gov. Bill Weld, R-Mass., and former state Senate minority leader Richard Tisei, R-Mass., also removed their names from consideration. State Rep. Daniel Winslow, R-Mass., has said he will make a decision by Tuesday.

The Democratic and Republican primaries are scheduled for April 30 and the winners will face off in a special election on June 25 for the right to serve out the remainder of Kerry's term, which ends in January 2015. Gov. Deval Patrick, D-Mass., last week named his chief of staff, William "Mo" Cowan, to hold the seat temporarily until the June 25 special election.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

"The timing is not right for me," i.e. I have to make way more money before I give it up to serve the public who, by the way, has screwed over my superior father and made a laughingstock of my sainted whore, I mean, mother.

First, get a real name. That might help people take you seriously.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

He is a sore loser and he would lose.

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

What the hell kind of name is Tagg? Did he consult with Sarah Palin about names?

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

Timing not right = I have to cover up all the sleazy business deals I've been making the last 15 years

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

True, R3. Tagg sounds like a Palin kid name.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!