Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Red State's Erick Erickson: "The Tea Party brand has been effectively destroyed"

TUE FEB 05, 2013

Red State's has come to the realization that the Tea party has got some BIG problems going forward.

Rebrand. Retool. Recruit. Re-engage.

By: LaborUnionReport

Yet, it was also a disappointment because, after nearly four years of this upstart movement—this “beautiful chaos” called the Tea Party Movement—after all the demonization by the institutional Left and its media apparatchik; he backstabbing by the Republican establishment; after millions of dollars of donations from large and small donors alike, last Monday’s group (like so many others) were largely unaware of the size of the behemoth we face and, worse, have never been given the basic tools necessary to lead a movement.

Of course the Tea Party was structured to be Led by folks like the Koch brothers, Dick Armey and Richard Stephenson, not to create new leaders from the rank and file.

The Tea Party brand has been effectively destroyed. After three years of demonizing the Tea Party as ‘racist,’ ‘extremist,’ and ‘radical,’ the brand has become a cancer.

The Tea Party branded itself with its own doctrinaire extremist positions and its rigid inflexibility.

It is now a drag on the candidates it supports, with the Left (and GOP establishment types like Karl Rove) gleefully labeling conservative candidates as “outside the mainstream.”

In the meantime, while the Tea Party had once enjoyed 24% popularity, according to a recent Rasmussen poll, only 8% of Americans now identify themselves as members of the Tea Party.

Only 8% identifying with the Tea party sounds pretty out out of the mainstream of American thought to me and most other folks I think.

One thing is certain: The Right has a technology deficit.

To make matters worse, the Tea Party movement has an attrition problem called age.

All-too-often, Tea Party meeting attendees are grandparents fighting to save America’s future for their grandchildren. Yet, the grandchildren are nowhere to be found. Why?

If you’re fighting for your kids’ future, get your kids involved—and have them bring some friends.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

That fat fuck is one of the main reasons why the Tea Party has failed but he's too dumb to realize it.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2013

R1, do you really think that EE has been a major part of its decline? He's mainly been a talking head on CNN .

Hasn't it been people like Todd Akin, Christine O'Donnell, Michelle Bachmann, Richard Mourdock & Sharron Angle who have destroyed it?

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

The Koch brothers created a monster that now has come back to bite them in the ass. They just wanted to exploit the redneck yokel constituency again and thought a spiffy new "party" would be red meat for the proletariat.

They were right, but what they failed to realize is that mainstream America doesn't think that we should chop all our government programs so millionaires can live with as little taxes as possible.

Now the Tea Party is an embarrassing liability that has cost them the Presidency and they're pissed.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

He's a talking head who spreads the message of the lunatics such as the ones you name, if he believes the nonsense they spew, then he's just as big of a culprit and a turnoff to anyone with a working brain. Erickson is known for making inflammatory comments but somehow managed to not take a lot of heat for them.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

As dumb as teabaggers are, they do know they're now being pushed aside and marginalized by establishment conservatives and they're hopping mad about it and aren't going to tolerate it. The GOP will have plenty of problems from them here on out and it's going to be fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

I'm surprised by how open the Republican Establishment has been over the past week in admitting that they are basically forming a counter-organization to the Tea Party.

They have said that they are going to try and stop socially conservative candidates like Steve King of Iowa from running for Senate in the next election in order to prevent another Todd Akin or Richard Mourdock from happening.

This has been met by anger and resistance on the Tea Party side (I just took a peek at Free Republic) now that they know what they're up to.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

Talk to any Teabagger and they will tell you that they have no problem with taking down the GOP because they no longer believe that the Republicans adhere to "true" Conservative ideology and that they should be washed away from the political spectrum.

Obviously, we as liberals can see the great advantage to this, but what I clearly don't understand is why the Tea Party doesn't see the DISADVANTAGE this puts them in. Even if they do manage to put more Teabaggers in office, they will never have the majority they need to take down the Establishment, let alone win Senate seats and Governorships.

I say we make some popcorn, pull up a seat and watch these clowns go at each other while Hillary gears up for 2016.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

The GOP has no real leadership anymore. Boehner and McConnell are lobbyist puppets, not political masterminds or governmental tacticians. The party which was once famous for the lock-step uniformity of their rank and file now has no unity. A party that once had charismatic leaders like Goldwater and Reagan now have either milquetoast or batshit crazy buffoons like Romney and Palin.

No wonder they're eating each other alive now. They have no one to show them out of the darkness they've placed themselves in.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

[quote]Talk to any Teabagger and they will tell you that they have no problem with taking down the GOP

Are you saying you spend a lot of time talking with Teabaggers?

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

[quote]Boehner and McConnell are lobbyist puppets

And McConnell is facing a primary challenge in 2014, and has very low approval numbers in the latest polls. Even Ashley Judd is polling well against him on the Democratic side.

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

[quote]I'm surprised by how open the Republican Establishment has been over the past week in admitting that they are basically forming a counter-organization to the Tea Party.

They may think the Tea Party is powerless to affect them now and they're desperate to make it appear that they no longer support the Tea Party in order to keep from scaring away moderates and "sane" conservatives, however, unless they really are serious about changing the policies that turn off the general electorate, they'll continue to go nowhere fast. We're seeing a lot of vote rigging/electoral college schemes cooked up by right wingers to steal future elections and make it difficult for Democrats to vote and win because they know the writings on the wall.

[quotes]I say we make some popcorn, pull up a seat and watch these clowns go at each other while Hillary gears up for 2016.

Sounds great to me!

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

I hope Hillary will run, but there are no guarantees and she has no plans to do so at the moment. We shouldn't get our hopes up until she officially decides what to do in a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

Wasn't the Tea Party originally supposed to be about the corporations getting bailed out? I seem to remember that and all of a sudden they began bitching about abortion, religion and their guns. Yet, to ask what they are about they would still say "the economy".

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!