Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Labradoodles, Cockapoos...Morkies

I'm from England and these mix type dogs are only just starting to appear on the streets of London and I'm very drawn to the idea of getting one.

They've been around in America for a long time now.

Anyone here have one of these kinds of dogs? or have any experience of them, I'd be really interested to hear it.

I've pretty much fallen for a Morkie I recently met, a Yorkie Maltese mix...a mix I'd never heard of before.

But all these dogs seem to vary so much in size and colour. I wonder of you ever really know what you're getting.

by Anonymousreply 7002/07/2013

No matter the country, no matter what people try to call them, I think you'll soon see Westminster and Crofts officials give the mickey to “designer dogs,” saying to the effect that all dogs are loveable, but a crossbreed is not a breed. Mixing a Black Lab with a black standard Poodle does not give you a Blueoodle, a new “breed.” A Yorkie and a Maltse mix pup is still a mutt. A crossbreed. Crossbreeds do not breed true. Purebreds do. Purebreds have an ample population with at least a three-generation pedigree, a geographic spread of dogs and a parent club establishing breed standards. Breed something called a puggle to another puggle there is no telling what the pups will look like. Bred a Boxer to a Boxer, you get Boxers. Oh well, all dogs are loveable. And after all, a purebred show dog is only a pet that gets to go to the dog show.

by Anonymousreply 102/05/2013

Labradoodle in our neighbourhood is batshit crazy and never fucking stops barking

by Anonymousreply 202/06/2013

A dachshund mated with our Airedale - my dad saw the fucker dragging a step ladder across the lawn - and some of the pups grew up to be shorter airedales with smooth hair. Some of the pups grew up to be wiry-haired dachshunds with shorter trunks. Neighbors adopted the pups, so I could see their temperaments: a mellower goofiness of the airedale breed without the possessive bitchiness of the dachshund.

I think the breeds you mention are safer, OP. When you blend similar sizes and temperaments, you reduce bizarre mutations while increasing the over-all health of the pup.

by Anonymousreply 302/06/2013

I adore puggles. So cute. Supposedly the longer snout of the beagle makes it much easier to breathe (vs. pure pugs). I do wonder if they are yappy though (beagle) or if they shed as much as pugs do.

by Anonymousreply 402/06/2013

Why don't we call them what they are? Mutts.

by Anonymousreply 502/06/2013

NO REPUTABLE BREEDER WOULD EVER DO THIS. These dogs are at best coming from total amateurs who don't know the first thing about biology other than "get those two to fuck" or they're from puppy mills.

by Anonymousreply 602/06/2013

R6, is there really such a thing as a reputable breeder? Why would someone who loves animals want to perpetuate all the health problems that occur in pure bred dogs?

I adore my pugs, but they have a lot of issues due to their smushed in faces. That comes from centuries of "reputable" breeding.

by Anonymousreply 702/06/2013

Cockapoos are the same as bichon frises.

by Anonymousreply 802/06/2013

OP, here...thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to have to give this whole thing a lot more thought.

by Anonymousreply 902/06/2013

This signals that the end of days is close

by Anonymousreply 1002/06/2013

My chorkie is the best dog that ever dogged.

I wouldn't trade her for anything, and she is much cuter than either a Yorkie OR a chihuahua.

by Anonymousreply 1102/06/2013

Puggles are great dogs, as is anything with a Pug in it.

But why not get a dog that was an accidental cross? Like, from a shelter where it's about to be killed as excess? Lots of puppies die in shelters, if you want a puppy.

Labradoodles, for some reason, piss off other dogs. I don't know why, but there are two or three around here and other dogs HATE them.

by Anonymousreply 1202/06/2013

[quote]Labradoodles, for some reason, piss off other dogs. I don't know why, but there are two or three around here and other dogs HATE them.

This is the kind of information I'm looking for. I don't want to end up with an unpopular dog. London parks, especially first thing in the morning, can be like High School.

by Anonymousreply 1302/06/2013

You need a dog who looks like this, not some fluffypuppy. His name is Pico.

by Anonymousreply 1402/06/2013

[quote]You need a dog who looks like this, not some fluffypuppy. His name is Pico.

I'm sure Pico's a really cool guy, but I'm very superficial when it comes to dogs and I really like very cute looking ones.

by Anonymousreply 1502/06/2013

And Pico is cuter than any of these puffballs. Longhaired and puffhaired dogs just don't do it for me.

by Anonymousreply 1602/06/2013

My blatino husbear and I can't decide between a cockapoo or chorkie.

by Anonymousreply 1702/06/2013

Look at this cockapoo...beyond adorable!

by Anonymousreply 1802/06/2013

Hdear hchortler. Hwe har nawt sorprized.

by Anonymousreply 1902/06/2013

*Very* beyond adorable. All the way to ridiculous. That is one ridiculous looking animal.

by Anonymousreply 2002/06/2013

R14 Pico looks a lot like my long-deceased dog. Do you have any idea what breeds he represents? I think mine might have been part pit bull, part pointer and ???

by Anonymousreply 2102/06/2013

My best friend has two dogs like this. He insists upon referring to me as their uncle, and them as my niece and nephew. But I can't stand his dogs because they are this kind of dog, with the puffy hair.

One of them has sort of a beard -- hair hanging on the front of his face that gets in his food and his water such that he's almost always got a wet face -- and the dog wants to lick me. GROSS.

Give me a nice shorthaired dog you can wash and keep clean any day over these dustmops. And I hate dogs who drool, too.

A dog worth having:

by Anonymousreply 2202/06/2013

Your dog is very handsome, R22, no doubt about it...but I prefer a hairy, cuddly dog. The water thing doesn't bother me, usually they just shake it off, anyway.

I wanted one of these but I've been warned off them. Hounds are apparently a real handful, especially when young.

by Anonymousreply 2302/06/2013

We got our dogs from a rescue organisation. The breeder let his schnauzer mix it up with a scottie. It wasn't on purpose so they were mutts - not some fancy new breed. I say they were schnotties. They were lovely dogs, and they are in doggie heaven now. I hate that he was also getting rid of the mother because he believed that having a mixed breed litter ruined her. Such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 2402/06/2013

Well, *you're* quite lovely, Ciaran.

by Anonymousreply 2502/06/2013

Well, lots of dogs react badly to push-faced breeds like pugs, even though they're usually friendly dogs. You can't really predict popularity.

Granted, Doodles do sometimes come with the manic personality of the lab combined with the athleticism of the poodle ie. they're rude.

You never know exactly what you're going to get with a mixed breed, but who cares? Lots of hearty mixed breeds out there (especially at rescue groups), and you can find one who fits your lifestyle & personality.

Figure out a few preferences, and go from there. All puppies are cute, but you need to match with what they'll grow into, so think about size, coat type, energy level. Also think about what you want out of your pet relationship - a running mate? a constant companion? a sport dog?

by Anonymousreply 2602/06/2013

Bernese Mountain Dogs are the cutest puppies, but they are less attractive as adults. They are great city dogs though.

by Anonymousreply 2702/06/2013

Ha, well wonders never cease. Finally a non-blurry, full face, close up pic of Ciaran, who just happens to look like he stepped out of an LL Bean ad. I smell a catfish....have all along.

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2013

R27 Do they drool like St. Bernards or Newfies?

by Anonymousreply 2902/06/2013

[quote]Labradoodles, for some reason, piss off other dogs. I don't know why

They are the gypsies of the doggie kingdom.

by Anonymousreply 3002/06/2013

Mixed breeds are far healthier than purebreds, so any one claiming to be a dog lover while promoting purebreeds vs mixed breeds is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 3102/06/2013

Hey OP, I think we like the same kind of dog, aesthetically. That cockapoo you linked to was crazy adorable. I find poodles mix well with lots of breeds (though the Doodles can be crazy as noted).

I have a light apricot maltese-poodle who I couldn't be happier with. Very clever and athletic like a poodle, very gentle and cuddly like a maltese. I love her fluffy, non-shedding coat, but it requires brushing (which she hates) and regular trips to a professional groomer.

r27 - Adorable puppies & gorgeous dogs, but often gigantic and very short-lived.

by Anonymousreply 3202/06/2013

I have a peekapoo, and he is darling. I had to get a hypoallergenic dog, because my partner has terrible allergies.

by Anonymousreply 3302/06/2013

My brother's family got a Labradoodle. I don't usually gush over people's pets, but, OMG... smartest and sweetest dog ever. Very athletic too - he can jump unusually high on command. And next to zero shedding.

by Anonymousreply 3402/06/2013

Op we've had a morkie for almost 6 years and jusyt adore her.

She brings the best of both breeds, Yorkie so no shedding and Maltese so not much barking. She loves people and because she's so adorable we get stopped by people all the time on the street (and this is in NYC!) who want to meet her. So if you're shy, she's a great pimp!!

I do have to admit though, that she still is very puppy-like, for better or worse, and it took us a long time to house train her. Though she very quickly adapted to wee-wee pads and because of her small size, her leavings are naturally in small amounts.

Any other questions, please ask but I would highly recommend a morkie if you're still interested.

by Anonymousreply 3502/06/2013

[quote]I do have to admit though, that she still is very puppy-like, for better or worse, and it took us a long time to house train her.

Why do you think that is? Is this characteristic of Morkies?

by Anonymousreply 3602/06/2013

My cousin's family has a Labradoodle. Another friend had a Goldendoodle. I've watched both when their owners were out of town and they were both a handful. Not for someone not used to handling large, powerful dogs and especially not for the inexperienced dog owner.

The Lab mix is a generally sweet-natured dog but very high energy with marginal training. He bit a jogger because my cousin's idiot wife was letting him wander around on one of those retractable leashes instead of having bonded with him and making sure he was well under control. I don't think she really likes the dog honestly and tried to palm him off on me when she and my cousin were having marital problems.

The golden was Satan in fur which surprised the hell out of me because I generally love and get along well with goldens. But, again, bad owner who thought watching The Dog Whisperer was all he needed to know about training this dog. WRONG.

So don't get either of these mixes unless you're ready to put a LOT of time and energy into training.

by Anonymousreply 3702/06/2013

R2 I have a labradoodle and he is the sweetest dog, and never has a problem with any dogs. I absolutely love the mix. They are smart, don't have the dog smell and don't shed. (do not get a 50/50 mix if you want non shedding as they must be bred back to the poodle). I also know of other labradoodles and they are great dogs. Happy and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 3802/06/2013

omg, that creature in R11's pic...EEK! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

by Anonymousreply 3902/07/2013

My friend has a Cavanese (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel + Havanese), which is all kinds of cute. She bred him with another Cavanese, and their litter was a mixed bag of varying looks, colors, and markings. A very friendly and affectionate dog. Unfortunately, he inherited both breeds' tendency toward separation anxiety, so she spends a good deal of money on dog sitting and boarding services when she goes to work.

A Cavanese:

by Anonymousreply 4002/07/2013

I can't speak re all these dogs, OP, but I can speak for one Labradoodle: I live in a small town, in subsidized housing; lots of elderly people, and recently a man brought his gorgeous Labradoodle in, just to be friendly to elderly residents. SOmeone went and got a 92-year-old woman, sad 'cause she had to leave soon to go to a nursing homem after 19 years here, 'cause she has become about 90% blind.

ANyway, she was very quiet and shy, sat in one par of the lobby, nowhere near the dog, but he - with no prompting, verbal or otherwise, from anyone - politely left whoever was petting him (there were about 8-10 of us) and wentr directly to the elderly woman, put his head in her lap, and stayed with her for about 20 minutes.

Wow! Was like he "knew" she was sad. A wonderful doggie. I know other dogs are similarly intuitive but this was wonderful to see. Gorgeous fur coat - the lovely golden color, with poodle fur - and a great tempermant (sp?). I would highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 4102/07/2013

Try the Shi Tzu/ Poodle mix: a Shitz Poo.

Or Bulldog/ Shi Tzu mix: a Bull Shitz

by Anonymousreply 4202/07/2013

r41 - Nice story, but that sort of temperament really has more to do with the individual dog than its breed (particularly if it's a mixed breed). I volunteer with my little dog at the hospital and I'm always impressed how she knows which patients want to see her do tricks and which just need a quiet cuddle.

by Anonymousreply 4302/07/2013

I had a cockapoo for 17 years -- great great dog. Have another one now, a year old. Also great. Both were smart, warm, affectionate, lovable to kids and adults. Great dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4402/07/2013

Op if you had a westie you'll like this story. When I met my partner, she had two westies. The female really hated the male, who was a nicer dog, so my partner's ex eventually got the female. The boy was relieved about this but after about a year of being an only dog, he started grumbling and whining about being bored.

So I told him if he didn't stop complaining, I'd get him a puppy and then he'd have something to whine about. Then one of my clients had a litter of pugs, and I took one of the smaller girls.

It was love at first sight, really funny for a male dog who really didn't much get along with other dogs.

Anyway, the pug is now 2 1/2, the westie almost 10, and they still adore each other, though he taught her his terrier ways and she's more aggressive with other dogs than her tiny little teeth and bug eyes can back up. They don't live together anymore but see each other almost daily and they both get excited when told they're visiting the other.

by Anonymousreply 4502/07/2013

Nice story, R45. My God, I could read these doggie stories all day.

Talking of dogs loving each other. I was in France some time ago and every evening we'd sit and have drinks on the town square and see two Westies being walked without their leads and I've never seen so much love between two dogs. Every now and again one of the Westies would run over to the other one and sort of kiss her and then continue on his way.

Check out this clip of two Japanese Westies playing tag. It's so perfect it's almost choreographed.

by Anonymousreply 4602/07/2013

There are thousands of shelter dogs that need homes. Rescue one if you want a dog that badly.

What's wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 4702/07/2013

My Labradoodle also knows when you are sad and comes over and puts his head in your lap. So cute when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 4802/07/2013

[quote]do not get a 50/50 mix if you want non shedding as they must be bred back to the poodle

How can you possibly know about the ratios of the mix, R38?

[quote]if you want non shedding as they must be bred back to the poodle

What does that mean, exactly, 'bred back to the poodle'?

by Anonymousreply 4902/07/2013

I have a medium Labradoodle (weighs 35 lbs) and he is the sweetest, happiest dog I've ever known. But he (and virtually all the Labradoodles I've known) has lots of energy. I either take him on a long walk at least once a day or to the dog park or beach for him to get exercise. He's great with other dogs and loves kids and old folks too.

by Anonymousreply 5002/07/2013

R23 Those dogs are hounds?

by Anonymousreply 5102/07/2013

R22/R51 Bassets are certainly hounds.

Wire-haired Pointing Griffons are hounds too.

But, R23, my hounds were nothing like the Westie terrier I adopted, in terms of maintenance. Good lord it was like running after hyper toddler triplets.

by Anonymousreply 5202/07/2013

R52 I've never heard of longhaired Basset Hounds. Hah.

by Anonymousreply 5302/07/2013

Just keep in mind you'll need to spend a shitload at the dog groomer's. We charge up to $120 for larger doodles.

And yes, I do know reputable breeders. A friend shows and trains dogs. Her male Flat Coat Retriever passed all of the many expensive tests on his hips and eyes. She had two biologists look at his line for instances of cancer and he was clear on that too. He was a champion and his puppies could've fetched a lot of money. But even with all of his socializing, training and showing, every once in awhile, another male dog would set him off and he'd act aggressive. She DID NOT BREED him b/c of this trait. She had him neutered hoping that would chill his aggression, it did not but she didn't regret doing it. That is a reputable breeder. She hates "Designer Dog Breeders" as much as I do. The Amish created this trend. Imagine the worst puppy mill that you can, now picture it without heat and electricity. In Pennsylvania. In winter.

by Anonymousreply 5402/07/2013

Yes, those little hounds are called Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen and they're very cute but apparently too much of a handful.

I phoned a breeder and spoke to her husband who said: 'Forget it, you're life will be all about chasing after them for at least the first five years'.

by Anonymousreply 5502/07/2013

[quote]you're life

Oops, sorry...

by Anonymousreply 5602/07/2013

OP

I have had Maltese dogs in the past and they are a wonderful breed.

However, I would never want to cross breed with a Yorkie. They are so opposite in demeanor and temperment. The Yorkie is territorial, yippee, wildly independent,etc.. The Maltese is extremely docile, 100% lap dog, cheerful and sweet beyond words.

My vet told me a Maltese is the sweetest breed of all and could grieve itself to death without love

by Anonymousreply 5702/07/2013

OMG r55, I looked them up and

If their 'pack' begins howling or singing, the dog will join in, with amusing results. PBGVs may howl alone or with a companion; they may howl to music, for fun, or in protest at being left alone. PBGV companions report that sleeping dogs have been known to awaken and howl along with favorite songs.

by Anonymousreply 5802/07/2013

OP I have two mixes, a Shih-Poo (Shit Tzu x poodle) and Peke-a-Poo (Pekingese x poodles). Both dogs are delightful and have fewer health problems and personality quirks than purebreds. Actually, I'd never get a purebred anything ever again unless it was a rescue.

by Anonymousreply 5902/07/2013

All you pretentious queens and your mutts, jesus.

Yeah--MUTTS.

by Anonymousreply 6002/07/2013

Why not a rescue?

Does everything have to be $$$$$$$$$$$$ designer?

by Anonymousreply 6102/07/2013

I have a Poo-Poo that is a poodle/poodle mix. Brown.

by Anonymousreply 6202/07/2013

So many nice rescue dogs. I wish I could take Dawson, Misha, Dorado, and more home with me today.

by Anonymousreply 6302/07/2013

[quote]Does everything have to be $$$$$$$$$$$$ designer?

For people with no other way of maintaining self-esteem, YES.

by Anonymousreply 6402/07/2013

R63 I want Fiona. Unfortunately, she's in New York.

by Anonymousreply 6502/07/2013

I love a dog who can sing, R58. It was my dog's favorite thing to do together.

by Anonymousreply 6602/07/2013

This PBGV knows what's happenin', knows where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 6702/07/2013

R64 How F'in pretentious you "is it a rescue dog" a holes are. When I get that stupid question from someone I always ask them if they adopted their children. 64 you might as well just start judging every parent as well. I love the temperament and non shedding, allergy friendly aspects of my doodle. Don't judge me. 64 do you have a fancy car, fancy clothes, jewelry? Then why? You should get the cheapest pieces of shit and give ALL the money you save to charity, THEN YOU CAN F*CKING JUDGE ME.

by Anonymousreply 6802/07/2013

R60 they are non shedding, allergy friendly mutts. HOW What the hell do you think most breeds were at some point? YEAH mutts. Most breeds were once mutts that after a while became recognized as breeds. You are the pretentious one. Please.

by Anonymousreply 6902/07/2013

R68 Have another drink, dogbreath.

by Anonymousreply 7002/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.