Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Independent dog breeds

Do you have a Basenji or Shiba Inu? Both have a reputation for somewhat aloof, cat-like personalities. Curious what it's like to own one. I like the idea of a dog that will not demand my constant attention, but I WILL NOT BE IGNORED!

by Anonymousreply 702/05/2013

"Independent"? You're a hipster douche, aren't you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 102/05/2013

You know nothing about dogs, do you?

by Anonymousreply 202/05/2013

Lab mix mutt, always the best depositions.

by Anonymousreply 302/05/2013

During my 20's and early 30's, I had a german shepard/chow mutt mix. Big ass dog who looked vicious but was actually a sweet heart. But, she was fiercely (and perhaps a little dangerously) protective of me. Otherwise, she was totally independent. Unless I was in danger or she thought I was, she really did her own thing. And she wasn't into exercise or anything. She liked treats and naps. HOWEVER, the down side is that they (independent dogs like mine) are also not all that obedient, which didn't really bother me, but it bother's a lot of people. I now have a weiner dog/jack russell mutt who is totally dependent and will follow any command I give (or die trying)... and is up for anything and everything. I love him, but he is a full time job.

by Anonymousreply 402/05/2013

[quote]I had a german shepard/chow mutt mix. Big ass dog who looked vicious but was actually a sweet heart. But, she was fiercely (and perhaps a little dangerously) protective of me. Otherwise, she was totally independent. Unless I was in danger or she thought I was, she really did her own thing. And she wasn't into exercise or anything. She liked treats and naps. HOWEVER, the down side is that they (independent dogs like mine) are also not all that obedient, which didn't really bother me

I had that same dog.

by Anonymousreply 502/05/2013

Basengis are supposed to be "barkless", but don't think they don't make any noise.

A friend had a basengi, and although I never actually heard it bark, it was always making constant noises that were halfway between a whine and a howl. "OOOOOooooEEeeeee MMMmmmmmmOOOoooooo RRRrrrrrrrrrrMmmmm" etc.

by Anonymousreply 602/05/2013

They call it a basenji yodel, but I've listened to some on YouTube and I don't know if I could take it more than occasionally. Apparently they make a bunch of other sounds, including a single bark. There is something called the basenji scream. I can only imagine.

Basenjis are just about the least trainable dog there is which makes me wonder about the breed's intelligence. Fans, like cat fanciers, say their beast is too proud or too willful to accept orders from the likes of us. They say basenjis are very smart.

Damn, they are beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 702/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.