Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nina Simone

I liked Nina Simone's 4-CD "Four Women" box set containing all 7 of her Philips recordings so much, I bought the 2012 9-CD "Complete RCA Album Collection" this month and have been listening to it nonstop ever since it got here.

I read Nina had a gay boyfriend, Clifton Henderson.

I've listened to Nina on and off since 1997, when I first heard "A Little Sugar in My Bowl" as the theme to ABC's dramedy about a Catholic priest, "Nothing Sacred," but I'd only had a couple of compilations until very recently.

I think she's my new favorite singer.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

Yes, and she had more than one lesbian girlfriend. But don't get me started.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

She's an excellent singer, but was notorious for being a massive pain in the ass to everyone who ever had to deal with her.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

She was very sweet to people socially and never forgot her impoverished roots.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

She was bi-polar.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

I love that voice and songs like "I want more and more and then some", "be my husband" and that great live album "Nina At Town Hall" from sometime in the 50s, with those great versions of "You can have him" and "Fine and Mellow".

I saw her once in a very bizarre concert in London in the 70s or 80s, when she barely acknowledged the audience and seemed to be in a world of her own.

Annoying though to hear her songs used in tv adverts and commercials, particularly that "My baby just cares for me" as she never sold out like that in her lifetime. I wonder who gets all her royalties?

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

Incredibly talented and distinguished vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

Her version of "I Loves You Porgy", is the simplest, most beautiful version I've ever heard

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

Like Aretha she was a terrific pianist too, and was classically trained of course, but discovered she was more popular as a vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

You must mention Nina's talents at the piano, More so than her singing.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

She and Eartha Kitt must be the two most individual singers I know, and both came up the hard way experiencing lots of problems due to their color back in the 50s ....

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

Lets not forget Dinah Washington, Della Reece, and yes, Lena ..... then there is Miss Peggy Lee.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

Nina still sells - there are so many compilations out there.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Glad someone mentioned Peggy Lee. She's usually forgotten in these discussions partly because she only recorded one true live jazz album...and it was not released until after her death. But, it shows how great she was. I believe it's closing night at Basin Street East in New York in the early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

She shot her neighbor because he was distubring her concentration.

I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

Why did Mary J Blige drop out of playing Nina? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

I like some of her music very much, but I'm not so keen on her personality which sort of gets in the way of my being too big a fan.

She always looks so angry, sometimes to the point of constant snarling.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

She was something else!

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

Simone had a mental illness. There was nothing exotic or romantic about it. She was ill.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

...and tremendously talented.

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

She didn't discover she was popular as a singer, r8, she was forced to by the owner of the club where she played at the piano bar.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

Horrible nasal twang in so many of her renditions, it gets very samey.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

Do yourselves a favor.... before she began to fall apart.... give a listen.

Yes, talented.

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

"Lilac Wine" is my #1 when-I'm-depressed-and-want-to-wallow song.

I saw her perform in Atlanta not long before her death; it was her first trip back to the US in a long time and it was completely fascinating and thrilling. And I was the whitest person to ever sing along in public with "Young, Gifted and Black"

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

Love me some Nina.

I want a little sugar in MY bowl, honey.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.