Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"As a New Yorker, I expect..."

I was reading Yelp reviews of restaurants in my city today, and low and behold the ones who give the worst ratings to good restaurants in my town always mention being a "New Yorker," as if living within the NYC limits suddenly elevates your taste to a superior level. And then they bring down the ratings of perfectly good restaurants.

Most of them are hipsters who've lived there for 2 years or less and are from the Midwest or other flyover places.

If you are a New Yorker, do YOU feel superior? Be honest, New York Dataloungers.

by Anonymousreply 3702/05/2013

That is what I've always heard from native New Yorkers - that it's recent transplants who don a bitchy entitled attitude because they've seen it on TV and in movies, and they just think they are badass.

It's the same thing in my town. The people getting reality TV shows are people who've not lived in the area for long, and embrace every cliche about my area. It's the puzzled born-and-raised locals who have been approached for various rality shows, and turn them (and the money) down.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

YES. Superior. More sophisticated, fussier, bitchier.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

LMAO @ R1. What town do you live in where everyone and their uncle has been approached to do a reality show.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

[quote]Most of them are hipsters who've lived there for 2 years or less and are from the Midwest or other flyover places.

And you know this how, OP? Do they say as much in their Yelp reviews? Why embellish with this phony bit of nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

Nearly every New Yorker I've ever met, native or transplant, pretty obviously thinks they fart rainbows because they live there.

It's kind of hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

I remember in the last Tales of the City, Brian was like that about SF. But he was from somewhere else long before.

DeDe, a native, loved SF but was never obnoxious about it.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

[quote]That is what I've always heard from native New Yorkers - that it's recent transplants who don a bitchy entitled attitude because they've seen it on TV and in movies, and they just think they are badass

Man! Apparently, DL is overrun with recent transplants.

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

OP's post is a bit odd because it correctly notes that native NYers rarely get into that faux condescension, but then goes on to use the term "flyover," a word ONLY used by the very people OP seems to be criticizing.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

I'm a Manhattanite, and yes, I guess I have a bit of that snobbery, which I believe is 100% justified. This is a cut-throat, dog eat dog city, and one needs balls of steel and the ability to take great risk to survive here. Naturally, those of us who are able to thrive here are infinitely more superior to those who live their safe, risk-free little lives. I thought that was a given.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

I see this attitude most from New Yorkers when they strut and brag about how tough and savvy they are. They like to say things like, "don't fuck with me, I'm from New York." *snort*......I'd like to say, "we know, dear, believe me.....we know."

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

[quote]This is a cut-throat, dog eat dog city, and one needs balls of steel and the ability to take great risk to survive here. Naturally, those of us who are able to thrive here are infinitely more superior to those who live their safe, risk-free little lives.

Did you type this with a straight face?

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

What would cause you to think risk is more valuable than caution, r9? Are you really of such little experience and education that you're unaware that people get genuine happiness and fulfillment in different ways?

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Hahaha. I swear to God, I had no idea R9 was gonna post that. LOL. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

In an episode of SATC, Carrie says you really aren't a New Yorker unless you've lived in the city for 10 years. I thought that was setting the bar a bit high but maybe correctly so...

I've been here over 10 now. I know what to expect from most things and don't say, "As a New Yorker..." I am used to lines and chaos but the one thing I won't do is wait half an hour in line just to drop off a damn prescription.

Fuck you, Duane Reade.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

I have to admit, the eateries in NYC are indeed very good. They have to be, or they wouldn't survive in that town. New Yorkers have plenty to chose from regarding dining and food.

This seems to apply to other things as well, such as clothes, jewelry, housewares, etc. When friends from the city come to town, they do look down at what we have to offer. According to them, what is available to us is overpriced and not of good quality or selection. I have to admit, they are quite correct in that.

They were not, however, snobby or rude or in your face about this. They just stated a fact. They were not impressed and said as much. They are native NYers, too.

I wonder how the OP knew that the Yelpers were transplants? Did you read their other Yelp reviews?

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

[quote]I wonder how the OP knew that the Yelpers were transplants? Did you read their other Yelp reviews?

He doesn't know it. He made that part up.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

R9, oh please, "surviving" in Manhattan is just about as hard as surviving in Beverly Hills or San Francisco, all you need is money. Just ask the NYU students with multimillionaire parents who are bankrolling their "survival".

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

New Yorkers are cunts. I love it when bad things happen to them.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

R9, the burgers need to be made for the night rush.

Please get back to work.

You steely balled thing.

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

r18, you must have jizzed on 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

"This seems to apply to other things as well, such as clothes, jewelry, housewares, etc."

you would not know it from the shit that passes as good design.

Landscape architecture most glaring.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

As a New Yorker, I expect creme brulee, riots or no riots, cuz I have balls o' steel!

by Anonymousreply 2202/05/2013

Yelp is nothing but a bunch of 20 something SATC wannabes who get pissed when they have to pay more than $4 for a Long Island Ice Tea. But they love to write about how disappointed they were.

by Anonymousreply 2302/05/2013

Real New Yorkers seem provincial. If you think about it, they really are just island people.

by Anonymousreply 2402/05/2013

It's true -- they have big hairy feet and are always crying about the eroding quality of local pastrami.

by Anonymousreply 2502/05/2013

One thing I can tell you is that New Yorkers don't know dick about the rest of the country. Seriously. They can find California on a map, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/05/2013

[quote]This is a cut-throat, dog eat dog city, and one needs balls of steel and the ability to take great risk to survive here. Naturally, those of us who are able to thrive here are infinitely more superior to those who live their safe, risk-free little lives.

You could say the same thing about the slums of Mumbai.

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2013

There is definitely a huge difference between the transplants and us native new Yorkers, or at least those that have lived here long enough to really be considered New Yorkers (I think 10 years ala Carrie is fair). Its so easy to tell the transplants as they have a faux snob better than thou attitude that most real New Yorkers don't carry. For example a faux New Yorker will cross the street at a red light and not make any attempt to hustle across when a car is approaching, stopping traffic because they think that's what a "cool" New Yorker does, whereas a native will move his ass.

There are tons of restaurants , bars and clubs that cater to this neo yuppie hipster type, and unfortunately the realness of Manhattan is dying fast...there used to be much more interesting people on the street, now the creativity is gone and replaced with a boring, cloney type. Its true that a lot of the girls are failingly trying to emulate something they've seen on SATC. It makes me sad because even though I'm in only in my 30s I remember how much more fun and interesting Manhattan used to be as a kid and after graduating college. Now when I meet an interesting character its an exception when it used to be the rule.

by Anonymousreply 2802/05/2013

I went to the West Village the other day and it's infested with mean-looking blonde women and nasty Brits. Sorry, the Brits in NYC are horrible.

by Anonymousreply 2902/05/2013

[quote]Manhattan is dying fast...there used to be much more interesting people on the street, now the creativity is gone and replaced with a boring, cloney type.

I remember noting that a Kramer is a NYC type who would never survive in any other place, but now it seems there is no longer any room for a Kramer in NYC, either...

by Anonymousreply 3002/05/2013

No, I don't feel superior.

I do think NYers have as as many, or more, cultural and culinary options than any other place in the US, and if we take advantage of that, we're fortunate.

But not superior, no.

by Anonymousreply 3102/05/2013

"One thing I can tell you is that New Yorkers don't know dick about the rest of the country. Seriously. They can find California on a map, but that's about it."

Your supreme ignorant confidence in your anecdotal opinion leads me to believe that *you* don't know dick about native New Yorkers.

Many of us know a lot about different areas of the country. My grandparents were from Michigan. Even though I grew up on the upper east side, during the summers and Christmas we were out at the farm where my mom spent her childhood.

By the time I was 11 I was driving tractors, riding horses and picking up rocks in a field to make extra money for myself.

And I knew lots of other kids growing up whose extended families were from Iowa, Illinois, etc. Even more whose families took them to Europe or Asia.

I know it sounds fashionable and ironic to insist that people who grew up in the city are provincial themselves ... but for the most part, it's just not true.

by Anonymousreply 3202/05/2013

Trolls these days....

by Anonymousreply 3302/05/2013

OP here, the reason I posted this is because I'm treating a good friend who's having a rough time now to a nice dinner at a restaurant of her choice that she's been dying to go to. Reading the Yelp review, I come across this:

"We came here for NYE, excited to try the spot that Anthony Bourdain raved about on his recent show, The Layover. As a New Yorker, I'm pretty well versed in good food and service and looked forward to Amis given what I had read & heard."

The rest of the review was a complaint. She gave it 2 stars.

by Anonymousreply 3402/05/2013

[quote] one needs balls of steel and the ability to take great risk to survive here. Naturally, those of us who are able to thrive here are infinitely more superior to those who live their safe, risk-free little lives. I thought that was a given.

This is a funny comment, seeing that you're probably exiled from some small town with a population of 100 somewhere in the midwest where you couldn't survive.

by Anonymousreply 3502/05/2013

r34, oh, okay. For the best recommendations, try posting in forums where locals will respond. Ask them where they eat. Sometimes destination restaurants or those featured on shows are a disappointment. Who knows how or why they got featured. If a place is really and truly good, it wouldn't need the televised hype.

by Anonymousreply 3602/05/2013

Detroit is a dog eat dog city.

New York is a city of lapdogs or else they never would have let sociopaths take over Wall Street and the corporate sector.

by Anonymousreply 3702/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.