Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Family of Four (Dad, Mom & 2 Sons) Caught Smoking In Airplane Bathroom

A Sunwing flight travelling from Halifax to the Dominican Republic on Friday night had to make an emergency landing after passengers were found smoking in the plane's bathroom.

According to the Bermuda Police Service another passenger alerted the crew and the smokers became verbally abusive.

Police removed a mother, father and two sons, aged 16 and 22, from the flight.

"I cannot believe that passengers did this. I'll bet you it's been 20 years since smoking was allowed on an aircraft," said Daryl McWilliams, the vice-president of media relations with the airline.

"I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I said, 'No, no, what did you say?"

McWilliams said under Canadian transport regulations the plane needed to land at the nearest available airport, which happened to be Bermuda

"We sent a mechanic down to Bermuda, because we wanted our own people to check the aircraft," McWilliams said.

Then "the people who were arrested refused to say if they had left other cigarettes on the aircraft, if they had hidden cigarettes on the aircraft. They were very uncooperative. So in addition to the technical things that had to be done, we had to search the aircraft thoroughly."

He said the plane had to be searched the same way they would search for contraband items.

By that time the crew members were out of flight time and had to be given a 12-hour break.

The rest of the plane's 170 passengers and crew were put up for the night in a hotel at Sunwing's expense.

McWilliams couldn't put a price to how much the diversion cost but said "this was a very expensive exercise for Sunwing."

"Those people will never get on a Sunwing aircraft again. There's no hope. We would have a record of what happened and we wouldn't carry them again."

The family of smokers is still in Bermuda. Police there have put them on conditional bail and they could be charged.

by Anonymousreply 3202/05/2013

All four of them were in the bathroom at the same time? They must have been remarkably thin!

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

Stupid losers who can't go an hour or two without a cigarette. Dumb, pathetic fucks.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

This happened on my flight to Holland and all that happened was that the pilot said don't do it again

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

CYA not PC, r2. If some stray ciggie butt started a slow fire in the wastebin or something while the plane was in flight that operator could be on the hook for millions if anyone were hurt.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

What's hilarious is people act like they committed an act of terrorism. For decades people sat on planes in the rear with ashtrays in the arm rests. The first time I flew from NY to LA in the 80's my friends all sat in the back and smoked away.

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

According to the CBC report they were smoking in their seats on the plane as if it were the 1980s, not in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

They sound like total trash.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

Good. Fuck smokers.

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

IT'S CALLED ENTITLEMENT, DEAR.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

I do love the idea of them being stranded in Bermuda for their insolence.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

[quote]David MacNeil, 54, Donna MacNeil, 52, and David MacNeil Jr., 22, appeared in plea court in Hamilton, Bermuda, Monday after they were accused of smoking on a flight.

Family matriarch, Rita, was not charged as she was merely eating throughout the flight.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

"MacNeils" ? Sound like white trash from Cape Breton.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

Sunwing is a white trash charter airline. Not particularly surprised by this story.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

[quote]"MacNeils" ? Sound like white trash from Cape Breton.

According to HuffPo Canada, you are 100% correct.

The airline apparently intends to sue the crap out of the family, which I think it only fair, given the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

Linked to the wrong article.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

[quote]All four of them were in the bathroom at the same time? They must have been remarkably thin!

Hard to imagine in smokers from Nova Scotia, but I suppose anything's possible.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

I took an Alitalia flight and the Italians smoked their balls off in the bathroom. I alerted the stewardess who said SO?

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

Mabou is a tiny town and believe me, everyone knows everyone. They will be mortified. How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

Should have done what I did and just aksed "Who do I make the check out to"?

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

A family that smokes together is jailed together I guess. It was the father who became abusive and confrontational. Anyone who smokes with their children is trash. This family reeks of trash.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

Is it illegal in Canada to give cigarettes to minors? The plane is considered Canadian territory until it lands on foreign soil. If so, I hope the parents are charged.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

Somebody needs to tell these addicts about nicotine gum. For several years I used it in the increasingly prevalent situations where smoking is not allowed, then I realized that I could quit altogether using it.

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

It is not possible to accommodate four grown persons in any charter aircraft lavatory.

Is Lou the Stew lurking?

And to you narrow-minded dolts, this occurrence was not a PC overreaction.

Smoking on aircraft is terribly dangerous, especially when done surreptitiously.

It wasn't banned entirely because people complained about the bad odor. Without consideration of lit cigarettes, one smoldering butt can bring down an aircraft and all its occupants.

Just like a previous replier said, nicotine addicts are worse than heroin junkies...can't function for a few hours without a fix.

Get this: the Florida Department of Health is giving away two-week nicotine patch starter kits to callers to its stop-smoking hotline...outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 2602/05/2013

anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2013

While the family members remained silent, lawyer Victoria Pearman said that the trip was a family vacation gone awry and that tensions were high because of delays in the flight's departure.

She said McNeil Jr. needed to use the restroom "urgently" and the family found the cabin crew's response "heavy handed".

"It just seems that this could have all been done another way," she said. "Even though all offences before this court are serious, given the human element of this, the court may consider that this is a one off and unlikely to happen again."

Senior Magistrate Archibald Warner fined David McNeil Sr. and Donna McNeil $500 each for their offences, ordering that the fines be paid immediately or they would could face up to 10 days in prison.

by Anonymousreply 2802/05/2013

Junkies are so tedious.

by Anonymousreply 2902/05/2013

Canadians are trash.

by Anonymousreply 3002/05/2013

Sounds like each person went into the bathroom in succession, maybe trading off the same cig or just going in one after another to smoke, no matter what the flight crew said. I would have grounded the plane if this family was instructed to not smoke in the lav and kept doing it.

by Anonymousreply 3102/05/2013

I once took a half empty night flight from Manchester to NY. Not only did someone in the back of the plane smoke, they smoked pot. Needless to say, the Port Authority police were waiting waiting for us when we pulled up to the gate.

by Anonymousreply 3202/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.