Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING NEWS: That kidnapped boy has been freed.

And his crazy captor killed.

I am so relieved. Poor kid. He turns 6 on Wednesday. I know he will have to work through this with likely months/years of therapy, but I am glad he made it out alive.

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2013

Glad the old perv is dead. I hope he suffered.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

Good. Press conference is on now. Awful situation but hopefully the boy isn't too damaged from this in the long term.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

Thank god! Poor, poor kid. And the bus driver.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

Wow, I was reading about it online and the comments are ridiculous. Some yokel wrote, "I bet that kid will be walking funny for awhile, LOL!" Yes, lol indeed! I often laugh aloud gleefully when I think of little kids being kidnapped and possibly sexually assaulted in underground bunkers with fucking batshit crazy old men..

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

I haven't been following this. So what did the crazy old redneck want this kid for? Sex?

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

Now comes the 15 years of therapy for this poor kid who is likely to have nightmares for years and be afraid to even go outside. I am just glad the old motherfucker is dead. What an evil, twisted monster.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

r4 i can't believe that comment. how awful!

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

[quote] 15 years of therapy

Oh please. He's six. He'll get over it unless everyone around him treats him like he SHOULD be acting damaged.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

It's great that the kidnapper is dead so that the trial isn't in the media for years on end.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

I wonder if the rescue was more traumatic for him than the last couple of days. The gunfire, the old man killed before his eyes, the chaos.

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

From CNN:

Last Tuesday, policae say, Jimmy Lee Dykes boarded a Dale County school bus and demanded the driver hand over two children. The driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., refused, blocking access to the bus's narrow aisle as at least 21 children escaped out of the back emergency door, authorities said. Police say the gunman killed Poland, then grabbed a kindergartner before barricading himself and the boy inside a nearby bunker he had built.

In the ensuing days, officials said little about what was going on in the bunker or in their strategy, or what -- if anything -- Dykes wanted. "Based on our discussions with Mr. Dykes, he feels like he has a story that's important to him, although it's very complex," Dale County Sherriff Wally Olson said Monday before the hostage situation ended. He didn't elaborate.

Neighbors and officials had described Dykes as a survivalist with "anti-government" views.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

Does the child like Precious Moments figurines? I'm all out of mylar balloons.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Is anyone else surprised this whole saga didn't get more blowout, wall-to-wall attention? I was just thinking of it in relation to when Baby Jessica was trapped in the well and it seemed like the whole country was breathlessly glued to the story until they got her out.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

I think the guy was trying to get out some kind of anti-government manifesto, like the unabomber, it's probably why they didn't want to give him so much press.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

They probably didn't want to egg the bastard on any.

Of course, the entire thing is Obama's fault. If that bus driver and those kids had been armed, this never would have happened.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

The authorities weren't giving any information out about negotiations or the identity of the boy. The community sounds tight knit enough that it wouldn't talk much to the media or outsiders. The authorities have been keeping the media far away from the scene whereas in Texas, IIRC, the news crews were close enough to capture the drama as it unfolded.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

[quote]Is anyone else surprised this whole saga didn't get more blowout, wall-to-wall attention?

They were very careful to control the media and held back a lot of info from the media. While this was a rural area, there were major players called in to advise them on their tactics.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

Not necessarily, R8. I was orphaned at 6, spent two years in an orphanage where I was sexually/physically abused and neglected, and that did a number on me. Initially I seemed resilient, but my adoptive parents said they sensed something wrong. I had no social skills, interacted inappropriately with people, always talked about sex, was afraid of the dark. However, I was oblivious to all this (except the dark thing) and was unaware of how I came across to people. Everything that happened to me didn't start to affect me until I was in my teens. Then I became depressed and suicidal. So I think the little boy will seem fine, but he'll need serious counseling down the road.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

Call me un-christian but I'm glad the old freak is dead too. What a waste of a human being. At least no one has to pay for a trial and imprisonment now. Sounds like has was the ultimate "get offa my lawn!" type.

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

R18, that sounds awful for you.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

I can't wait to hear what kind of writings he left behind. A babbling right-wing manifesto about the new world order and Obama? Will we ever hear what his addled motives were?

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

I wonder if the locals are staying tight-lipped about his motives because he was one of these unhinged government-conspiracy types who was pushed over the edge by the gun control talk.

They were probably concerned it would show some of the more virulent anti-gun control types for the nut cases they truly are - he probably thought Sandy Hook was fake as well.

He was also a fan of right-wing talk radio as well, so Limbaugh and Co. can also take some credit for his going postal. I bet Limbaugh hasn't said a word about this episode.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

A neighbors elderly dog wandered onto this guys property so he beat the dog to death with a lead pipe. He patrolled his property at night with flashlight and gun.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

Free those with Asperger's! Yay!

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

Wow, R18, I don't think you can even compare your experience to this one. Yours was much more traumatic and lasted much longer.

I wish the best for you.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

R26 is the judge of all human suffering.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

Since you are not R18, you can just STFU about my post, R27. Talking about judging, why don't you.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

Everyone relates to trauma very differently; ask Holocaust survivors. Some temporarily block out extreme emotional pain, and seem to thrive, at least for a time. Others have life-long flashbacks. Many become extremely good actors with a false front of apparent normalcy hiding inward trauma. Who's to say and why should we judge?

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

You're obviously a control freak, too, r28. With anger issues.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

True r29 -- the main thing people like that need is the feeling of safety. I grew up around Armenians who came to the US after the genocide, and all of them said that the US granted them a feeling of safety, and the freedom to go through whatever they needed to feel.

The Armenians who fled to Russia, or who remained in ArmeniaSSR often didn't have any freedom or any safety, so the immigrants we see now reflect this to a large degree.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

I would think the boy is unharmed- they have released his photo..

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

The kid suffers from Aspergers and ADHD according to an article I read in our local paper. Hopefully that negative will turn out a positive and assist him in getting past this trauma. Maybe it'll be easier for him to forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

[quote]Maybe it'll be easier for him to forget about it.

Maybe he didn't notice what happened...

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

R18 here. Thanks R26.

I was not comparing, but like R29 said, trauma is relative. Who's to say the boy will or wont' be affected in the long run? I brought up my experience because even though I seemed to cope and thrive after the adoption, it was clear to my adoptive parents that something was amiss. It did end up affecting me later on, and still does. I'm in my early thirties now and spent my twenties in and out of hospitals, unable to keep jobs. I'm on disability and see a therapist regularly and am on medication, but I sometimes struggle to get out of my apartment.

What the boys need is stability. My adoptive parents divorced when I was 13 and I became estranged from my dad (who lives in a faraway state). When I was 15 I was hospitalized for 9 months after a suicide attempt, then lived in a residential home until I was 18; I never lived at home again. My mom became too preoccupied with her own personal life and boyfriend whom she put first (and is now married to), so needless to say our relationship was rocky. We get along fine now, but it's not a mother-son relationship. I can go weeks or even months without hearing from her.

If the boy's parents manage to stay together and then guide him through life (he'll more likely need therapy) and reassure him that they'll always be there, I think that would be the best way to handle it. It's what I would've wanted, in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

He will live in fear of buses and bunkers!

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

Thanks for illustrating the definition of grotesque, R37. The humans present will return to the topic now.

by Anonymousreply 3802/05/2013

Girls, girls, you all need therapy!

by Anonymousreply 4002/05/2013

R37/39, all you're accomplishing here is further proving the need for people like you to get psychological help. You've made everyone's point better than any other post in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4102/05/2013

Link r42.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2013

[quote]Is anyone else surprised this whole saga didn't get more blowout, wall-to-wall attention? I was just thinking of it in relation to when Baby Jessica was trapped in the well and it seemed like the whole country was breathlessly glued to the story until they got her out.

The maniac had a battery powered TV and radio in his bunker. That's why the cops only issued terse statements so as not to fuck up negotiations with him.

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2013

SO relieved!! and what a great job the FBI did.

by Anonymousreply 4502/05/2013

R1,he was shot,he didn`t really suffer.

by Anonymousreply 4602/05/2013

I don't think the kid was molested. The police were in contact with Dykes the entire time. It's the reason why they knew he was about to end it all.

by Anonymousreply 4802/05/2013

The killer was named Jimmy Lee Lesbian HA HA HA HA HA

by Anonymousreply 4902/05/2013

[quote]No one NEEDS therapy

Says the poster in this thread who needs it most...

by Anonymousreply 5002/05/2013

omg r49: are you 8 years old?

by Anonymousreply 5102/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 5202/05/2013

The parents who are suing the family of the poor bus driver need massive therapy; for shame on them.

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2013

They are not suing the family of the bus driver unless you can provide a legitimate link that proves it.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2013

Real kidnapping is so prolonged and results in unendurable suffering for the kidnappers. There are other, more effective ways of dealing with unruly, recalcitrant children.

by Anonymousreply 5502/05/2013

Funny, the relatives are describing the kid as sociable, laughing, and engaged with others. Asperger's?

by Anonymousreply 5602/05/2013

R39, childhood is wounding. That's precisely what it's for.

by Anonymousreply 5702/07/2013

"Does the child like Precious Moments* figurines?"

Methinks yes.

by Anonymousreply 5802/09/2013

R18, thank you for sharing your story. It's hard for people who haven't been there, to fathom the effects abuse takes on a life.

R37, you are the damaged goods. As is plain for anyone else to see. You 'got over' your rape? Yes, and how did you do that? By closing down your heart. You became cold, unfeeling, lacking compassion. This is far from the highest expression of humanity. But I also understand you did it to cope with the violation (and maybe other mistreatment in your life too). I won't say you need therapy. But I do say I'm sad you lost your ability to love. Life can be so much nicer than what you experience.

by Anonymousreply 5902/09/2013

It happened AGAIN today.

by Anonymousreply 6003/20/2013

"Yes, and how did you do that? By closing down your heart. You became cold, unfeeling, lacking compassion"

The people who lack compassion are the people who tell abused kids that they need years of therapy and that they are damaged goods.

by Anonymousreply 6103/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!