Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

By request...Thread for discussion of Gay Art and Artists

[quote]Somebody who isn't a cheap bitch (read: me) should create a Gay Art/Artist thread. Art is one field where so many of the great practitioners were gay, or at least dabbled in the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2014

OP here

In line with this thread, I saw in promos that Starz is starting a mini-series on March on Da Vinci, titled Da Vinci's demons. Of course, they are including naked love scenes of him with his FEMALE lovers....since he was such a great lover of women...NOT.

I am boycotting it.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

What was Rauschenberg and Johns' relationship like? Are there any good bios on either?

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

No such thread would be complete without at least one Michaelangelo "ignudo".

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

One more.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

Well, what's another one.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

The relationship between Van Gogh and Gauguin is very interesting. The common belief is that, during the time they spent together in France, the two painted and caroused. Gauguin eventually fled when Van Gogh's mental instabilities become too much for him, and they never saw each other again.

But some have speculated that they may have been lovers. At the very least, Van Gogh seemed to be infatuated with Gauguin. In preparation for his visit, he bought two beds and insisted they sleep side by side. When he feared Gauguin would leave him, he lashed out bitterly. And when he finally left, Van Gogh wrote him imploring letters. It's almost like the behavior of a scorned or unrequited lover.

That said, there really is no evidence that they had a sexual relationship, or that there was even any sexual desire on Van Gogh's part. Maybe it was a kind of extreme hero worship.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

I remember when Rauschenberg died, and there was some controversy over how little mention there was of his being gay in the obituaries. Of course, they never forgot to mention the fact that he was married at one point and had a child. Weird and disheartening that, even in the arts, people are being nudged into the closet.

Who do you think are the best new gay artists of today? I like David Altmejd. I also like Ryan McGinley. Is Wade Guyton gay? He's one of the most successful artists of his generation. He recently had a show at the Whitney and his work sells for a lot of money. He seems low key about his personal life, but I'm pretty sure he's gay. Check out this video interview. And he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2013

That Guyton interview is from five years ago. He's even sexier now:

by Anonymousreply 802/07/2013

Does anyone know about Bjarne Melgaard? He's a NY-based Norwegian artist with a lot of buzz right now. He just signed with super-dealer Gavin Brown. He's openly gay, and hot if you're into bears.

There's a video interview and pics and the link:

by Anonymousreply 903/11/2013

[quote] Van Gogh wrote him imploring letters. It's almost like the behavior of a scorned or unrequited lover.

...or the behavior of someone who was mentally ill, who was outside the artistic establishment that he both despised and wanted to be a part of, who trained himself without the advice of a "master," who was lonely, shit-ass broke, and desperate.

I can't think of an artist more emphatically heterosexual than Van Gogh.

by Anonymousreply 1003/11/2013

As Sister Wendy said of a David Hockney painting: "Two themes he loved: blue skies and beautiful boys."

by Anonymousreply 1103/11/2013

Gay & Jewish Victorian painter Simeon Solomon:

" generation before Oscar Wilde's famous trial and imprisonment, another brilliant career was tragically cut short by the homophobia and intolerance of victorian english society.

On February 11th, 1873, two men were arrested for attempted sodomy in a public lavatory in Stratford Place Mews, off Oxford Street, in London. One of the men was Simeon Solomon, a promising young artist, then 33 years old, whose work had been exhibited at the Royal Academy. The other man was a 60 year old stableman named George Roberts. Both men were sentenced to 18 month's hard labor, the same sentence that destroyed Oscar Wilde 20 years later. Simeon Solomon served only 2 weeks of his sentence before being released on bail. Thanks to the help of Myer Salaman*, a wealthy cousin, his sentence was reduced to police supervision and a £100 fine a month later. George Roberts served his entire 18 month sentence.

Although he was released from jail, Solomon was ostracized by proper English society and his promising career abruptly ended, almost as if he had died. He fled to France after his release, but in 1874 he was arrested again in Paris and sentenced to 3 months in prison.

Simeon Solomon was thus thrust into obscurity just as he was achieving fame as an artist."

by Anonymousreply 1203/11/2013

And from the same article:

[quote] In 1885, Solomon moved into the St. Giles Workhouse, a sort of homeless shelter, where he continued to work and live for the last 20 years of his life. He was reduced to begging and selling matchsticks on the street. Unable to afford paint and canvas, he usually worked with pastels and charcoal on salvaged scraps of cardboard and paper. Yet he created some of his most beautiful work in this late period.

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2013

Sad story, R12.

Does anyone know about gay artists between the Renaissance and the twentieth century? The Renaissance obviously had Da Vinci and Michelangelo, and the twentieth century had more major gay/bisexual artists than any other it seems (Bacon, Warhol, Basquiat, Hockney, Johns, Rauschenberg, etc).

But I don't know much about the intervening periods. I've read some speculation on Munch.

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2013

Anyone know about Dan Colen? 34 year-old art superstar and former bad boy who's been compared to Warhol and Jeff Koons. Has used chewing gum and his own cum on his "paintings", which sell for six figures. Tall and good-looking and dates models. But best friends and former roommates with openly gay photographer Ryan McGinley. They must have hooked up during a drug binge at some point, yes?

by Anonymousreply 1505/09/2014

[quote]Has used chewing gum and his own cum on his "paintings", which sell for six figures.

Damn, I didn't know cum was that valuable. I'll have to start adding cum to my paintings so that I can charge a higher price.

by Anonymousreply 1605/12/2014

Little known American Modernist painter Marsden Hartley. Was part of Gertrude Stein's circle in Paris. In Berlin, befriended Kandinsky, got into German Expressionism. And met and fell head over heels for Karl von Freyburg, a Prussian soldier, who became a recurring subject in Hartley's work. von Freyburg was killed in the war, Hartley was devastated.

by Anonymousreply 1705/12/2014

To most gay men, "gay art" means naked men: in paintings, sculptures and photographs. Nothing else matters.

by Anonymousreply 1805/12/2014

Artists are gay

by Anonymousreply 1905/12/2014

We must not forget Francis Bacon, devotee of S&M who started out his career as an interior designer (although he later tried to cover that fact up because it did not fit his outlaw image). Never closeted, always out, witty, clever and generous.

by Anonymousreply 2005/12/2014

They think because you are a master in the studio, you must be a master in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 2105/13/2014

So...Jeff Koons posed naked.

by Anonymousreply 2206/13/2014

I always though Il Sodoma could have been a bit more outré, to earn that epithet.

by Anonymousreply 2306/13/2014

Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but the early-19th century French painter Anne-Louis Girodet is widely believed to have been gay.

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2014

One of several art historians have made the interesting case that Albrecht Durer might have been gay.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2014

Durer also drew a very sensual nude self-portrait.

He had low-hanging balls and a fat cock with a tight foreskin.

by Anonymousreply 2606/13/2014

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2014

Gay art history site.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2014

Ooops, bad link on r26 for the nude Durer.

Here's the good link:

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2014

J.C. Leyendecker! He was one of the biggest print artists before Norman Rockwell came along and invented the "Arrow Collar Man"-often his lover was used as a model. (Picture below is NOT the lover)

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2014

Dan Colen, the "straight" enfant terrible artist mentioned by R15 posed naked with drag performance artist Kalup Linzy, kissing in front of the statue of liberty.

You don't see anything too naughty, but slightly NSFW:

by Anonymousreply 3111/05/2014

We rock art.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2014

The Venetian artist Tiepolo had to have been gay.

No straight man could have painted the young male angels he painted, you ought to see them in person!

by Anonymousreply 3311/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!