Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I want to become a producer

I want to become a producer but I'm not in film school, and the major that I am in has nothing to do with filming. Can I still make it? And I see that most movies cost millions to make. Where does one get the funds for it? And if the film doesn't deliver, then would I myself have to pay for it? Take for example "The good doctor", it took millions to make but only amassed thousands in box office.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

Having a billionaire father really helps.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

Op Suck up to everyone. Then when you find a property you want to produce get all of those people to help you.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

Get a sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

You don't need to go to film school. Just be an ass-kissing schmoozer and have a ton of connections. Be prepared to sell your soul and hurt people who get in your way.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

Being a producer entails getting other people to invest their money in a film project, not your own.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

Get a job working for Scott Rudin. He is a swell guy and loves to help young men get into the biz.

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

As a movie or TV producer you need three things:

- money (either have it yourself or know people who are willing to give / borrow it to you).

- business knowledge (who to hire for what job and which distributor / TV station to offer your project to).

- a project you believe will give you what you want (attention, credible status recognition, profit, etc.).

But most importantly you need:

- a casting couch (c'mon OP, you perv. We know that's why you want to be one in the first place).

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

[quote] money (either have it yourself or know people who are willing to give / borrow it to you).

Oh, dear.

I believe the word that you may have been looking for was "loan."

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

You don't know what a producer really does, do you OP?

FYI there are several different jobs called "producer". They range fron the evil suit who throws other people's money away, to the grunt who orders porta-potties and caterers at wilderness locations.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

It's I want to BE a producer.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

If your willing to blow Harvey Weinstein anything is possible.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

You actually asked where do you get funds? You're clueless. Don't even consider going into the film industry if you haven't the slightest idea about the most basic facts of producing.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

The best way to become a producer is to become an assistant to a producer. You start off working for free, and if you're good you might get hired for peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

I can't imagine why would you even consider becoming a film producer when you're better suited to become a producer for Bristol Palin's next reality series.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

Volunteer to be a producer for a local theater company before you quit your day job, OP.

A local theater producer worries about budgets, and does anything that anyone else doesn't want to do. It's what you do if you can't act, paint, or build, and like real-life entry level intern producing, it's thankless gruntwork that you do for no pay.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!