Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hole/Courtney Love

Anyone like 'Celebrity Skin' and 'Live Through This'? I'm listening to 'Live', and I'm finding myself liking it, even though I didn't when it came out. Didn't care much for 'Nobody's Daughter'.

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

I like her music. It's so full of anger. And she's a hot mess most of the time. The perfect role model for a gay.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

I can't help but love that crazy bitch.

...oh, and R1 is a frau and a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

I haven't heard either album but my impression is she's a screamer, not a singer. She never would've had a recording career if she wasn't married to Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

[quote]She never would've had a recording career if Kurt didn't write her songs.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

I loved it at the time but Live Through This hasn't aged well. Kurt's death made it seem authentic, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

As a gal u like her. I normally dOnt like male rock but when she is jamming I can really relate

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

celebrity skin is a masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

I used to listen to "Live Through This" all the time back when it came out, to the point where I got sick of it and haven't listened to it since. And, yes, the rumors floating around at the time was that Kurt wrote all the songs, which must've annoyed the crap out of Courtney and her bandmates.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

Live Through This and Celebrity Skins are brilliant albums. Love Courtney Love even though she's a mess. I was disappointed in Nobody's Daughter although Skinny Little Bitch was a fun tune. It seems like she lost her edge after the original Hole broke up. Her solo album, America's Sweetheart was awful and she continues to ruin her face with plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

[quote]I haven't heard either album

Then you have nothing to contribute to this conversation.

What is it with you eldergays who think you need to chime in on EVERYTHING?

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

Courtney is a great lyricist. She has a fantastic sense of humor and knows how to twist words in strangely poetic ways. But she can't write a song (music + melody) to save her life.

Live Through This and Celebrity Skin were written by the two best songwriters of the 1990s: Kurt (LTT) and Billy Corgan (CS). Both of those albums are still pretty fantastic, certainly Top 20 90s albums, and I say this is the biggest Nirvana fan ever and someone who thinks Courtney may have had something to do with Kurt's death.

Oh, and Hole was already a pretty well reviewed indie band by the time Kurt and Courtney met, so she has already had a recording career when she met Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Oh Lord, how did she have anything to do with Kurt's death? I'm a sucker for conspiracy theories but only one's that hold water...

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

Watch "Kurt & Courtney", R13. It's probably not true, but it posits some interesting theories.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

I saw Kurt and Courtney (in the theatre) and it was a joke. All it did was make me feel sympathy for Courtney. Her father is a white trash opportunist with zero credibility as were all the other people in that film. Cobain was a depressed drug addict who committed suicide. End of story. Think for a second what it must be like to lose a partner or lover and have people claim that you murdered him and masterminded a cover up.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

She is certifiable and hates Dave Grohl & is a huge psychotic mess.

BUT, I love her music. Even though she's a sociopathic liar, and totally horrible as a human being her artistry is fantastic.

I actually LIKE Nobody's daughter. I've been listening to it during exercise and the best songs are:

Pacific Coast Highway Someone Else's Bed Letter to God

unreleased track: Stand Up Motherfucker

Her band is mostly cute Brit men too who are great musicians.

I feel those 3 songs are great & raw.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

I hate her music and her looks and her awful singing voice. She's untalented trash.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

R15, placing yourself in the shoes of another is a commendable thing to do. It shows that you possess compassion and insight and wisdom. However, placing yourself in the shoes of Courtney Love, dead husband or not, is not something I would never recommend. Bitch is the very definition of a hot mess. Always has been. Always will be.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

I loved her 90's output when I was a teenager. But her 21st century output has been very shitty, hence her having practically no career anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

Loved both album but preferred Celebrity Skin since it was less screeching and more vocalization.

"Dying" is a great track.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

What will Courtney do when she hits fifty? Tone it down a bit, or become even nuttier and fatter? She's drugged out on Abilify, which must temper the outbursts but her whole persona is about being goofy and stoned.

I wonder what her plans are.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

I've heard her "sing" r11, and offered my opinion of that. She doesn't scream as a choice, she screams because she can't sing. This wasn't a woman destined for music stardom, the association with Kurt had everything to do with any success she once had.

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

How come everyone forgets Hole's first album, "Pretty on the Inside"? It's a noisy mess, but a fun noisy mess. It was very punk.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

She has no talent. None. No one would know who she is if she hadn't been married to Kurt Cobain. That's a fact.

She hates Dave Grohl, probably because he was close to Kurt and a genuinely talented musician. She intoned an audience to chant "Dave Grohl is gay!." Obviously she meant it as a slur. I have no idea why some people consider her an "icon" for gays. She has contempt for gays, as evidenced by the "Dave Grohl is gay" incident.

She went on Twitter and claimed that Grohl had fucked Frances Bean. She said Frances Bean didn't know any better, being just "curious" but that she'd like to kill Grohl. It was all a LIE. Frances Bean publicly stated that nothing went on between her and Grohl, and that her mother should be banned from Twitter. Courtney rather lamely apologized for "listening to the gossip" and bleated "Mommy loves you." Frances Bean avoids her Mommy Dearest, no doubt in order to preserve her own sanity.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

"When I wake up, in my makeup.."

I love that lyric, so trashy.

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

[r24] she has talent, just not the kind you are probably referring to. Her talents primarily lie in how charming and manipulative she is. And we would know who she was had she not glommed on to Kurt because she'd have done that to someone else - she had her pick of rock stars on the brink of stardom at that time and had a crazy talent for manipulating people and situations to achieve her very lofty fame goals. If it hadn't been Kurt it would have been Gavin or Trent or Billy Corrigan or someone else.

I think Cunterney is a crazy psychopath and is capable of anything and hurting anyone to get what she wants. I've known several people who have had ties to her, and they are all completely afraid of her.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

Nobody's daughter is an awesome album. I've been a fan of Courtney's, Hole, Nirverna, since then. Nobody's Daughter has some great songs with great lyrics. I hope she continues to make music. Is she a crazy sick insane fuck? He'll yes. If she wasn't I'd be curious what she would be about, musically. She sings about her own crazy deranged past and existence. I love her.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

"Live Through This" is an amazing album. "Jennifer's Body" alone makes that album worth owning. "Celebrity Skin" is also brilliant.

Courtney wrote neither of them.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

She's just a famewhore druggie, she has no musical talent and she's obnoxious and idiotic. Some people on here have very low standards.

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

I loved Celebrity Skin when I was in high school. At that time, in 1999, I saw them live at the Forum in Los Angeles with Marilyn Manson. Hole was awesome. Courtney sang live and sounded fine. My friend and I were waiting outside for our ride home and Courtney drove by us and waved. Seemed nice.

I also remember MM came on and the dumbass jumped off a speaker and knocked himself out. Later my friend and I saw him being taken to the hospital in an ambulance. We could see through the ambulance windows and he was still in full costume - grey as an alien with boobs and red wings. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall in that ER.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

"in 1999, I saw them live at the Forum in Los Angeles with Marilyn Manson. Hole was awesome. Courtney sang live and sounded fine. My friend and I were waiting outside for our ride home and Courtney drove by us and waved. Seemed nice."

I was at that show. A friend of mine knew the band (Hole--not Courtney so well) and got me backstage. I didn't meet her but I met Eric and he was telling us how they were about to cancel the rest of their tour because MM was fucked up on heroin all the time and they were not getting along.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

I love both of those albums. Saw Hole during the 1999 tour and it was phenomenal. My friend - standing next to me - caught her panties.

I know she's a mess personally, and there have been inexcusable things she has said and done (no, I don't think she killed Kurt). But after seeing the Behind The Music story about her, it reinforced my longstanding belief that monsters aren't born, they are made.

You leave a kid at 7 - literally, the entire family but her leaves - and you get some issues. (One of my parents had this life situation and we're still processing the repercussions, too.)

There were a few interesting songs on Nobody's Daughter. Skinny Little Bitch was one.

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

Everything r10 said.

Someone gave me a CD of "20 Years in the Dakota" in the early 90s, before Live Through This came out. Stunned me on the spot I was speechless. It pains me to see what she's become, a major talent wasted.

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

She's not a great singer, but there's still something about her voice that makes you want to listen. She's not completely lacking in talent. Celebrity Skin is by far my favorite album, but I do like a few songs on Live Through This - Jennifer's Body, Violet, Credit in the Straight World (love the beginning).

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!