Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Our honeymoon with Scott Brown just ended

Feb 4, 2013

I hate to speak ill of fellow Republicans, but there is no good way to spin that the GOP has been left in the lurch by former U.S. Sen. Scott Brown’s backing out of the special election. With less than 23 days to get 10,000 certified signatures for the ballot, the timing of his decision is like leaving a bride at the altar.

Republicans already face a well-known uphill battle because of voter registration, finance and organizational deficits along with a media bias. Declining to run would have been perfectly acceptable for Brown 60 or even 30 days ago, but by waiting until now he puts our candidate at a huge disadvantage.

What about all the people who stood out in the cold and rain, made thousands of calls and gave up their weekends to knock on thousands of doors? What about the party that has given millions of dollars? What about U.S. Sen. John McCain, who helped orchestrate Anchors-Aweigh John Kerry’s appointment as secretary of state?

While some pundits believe that Brown lives to fight another day in the 2014 governor’s race, the truth of the matter is that he has disenfranchised far too much of his original base. First to go was the Tea Party. He lost its support during a speech when he denied the party’s contribution to his victory. Brown kicked to the curb the fiscal conservatives when he voted for Dodd-Frank and President Obama’s phony jobs bill. He chipped away at his lunch bucket supporters when he voted for Obama’s fiscal cliff deal that raised payroll taxes. More recently, Brown jilted Second Amendment enthusiasts with his support for an assault weapons ban. His relationship with grassroots activists was severely damaged when he refused to endorse any legislative candidates last fall. And on Friday he lost party loyalists by duping Republican State Committee members to vote for his candidate for chairman, Kirsten Hughes — whom, in the spirit of full disclosure, I should state I did not support, though I have in the past been at odds with her opponent, Rick Green. And Brown made this decision way too late.

Most commonwealth Republican activists have come to understand that our candidates have to thread a needle in the People’s Republic of Massachusetts. We can live with statements like “vote the person, not the party,” because Brown is a family member. But you cannot hurt the party with a divisive chairman’s fight and then bail the next day, undermining our chances of capturing a U.S. Senate seat that has not been open in 28 years.

As always, if Brown was to somehow make it through a 2014 gubernatorial primary battle with Charlie Baker — who now has solid grassroots support across the state and has far better fiscal conservative credentials — then the party, including myself, would support the nominee. But …

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2013

Why isn't he running?

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

He's had enough of campaigning. Even if he were elected now he'd have to start campaigning again for the seat in less than 18 months. Plus he's got his eye on the gubernatorial seat.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

But after stabbing the Republicans in the back this week, R2, will they even support him in the GOP primary next year?

The Herald seems very angry with him.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

"The People's Republic of Massachusetts"? Really?

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 502/05/2013

Charlie Pierce with more on the gobshites of the Boston Herald being "utterly traumatized by the withdrawal of former Senator McDreamy"

by Anonymousreply 602/05/2013

What are gobshites?

by Anonymousreply 702/05/2013

His losing senate campaign exposed him for what his is. A nude centerfold model and little else.

by Anonymousreply 802/05/2013

Then why were the Democrats scared of him just a few days ago, R8?

by Anonymousreply 902/05/2013

The reich wing continues to devour its own.

by Anonymousreply 1002/05/2013

I heard that he remains popular in MA although they voted resoundingly against him.

Is this another one of those oddities of MA politics, or are there those who still believe after he...showed his the campaign against Warren that he still has a future in politics?

by Anonymousreply 1102/05/2013

[quote]What are gobshites?

Mouth-shits, I guess. If so it's a good description of the cranks who do the political op-ed "shite" in the Boston Herald.

by Anonymousreply 1202/05/2013

The article makes a good point about him hurting the party by waiting until the last minute to withdraw. I doubt that he'll have strong GOP support if he does run for Gov. Good riddance!

by Anonymousreply 1302/05/2013

Do you think this was Brown's way of sticking it to the GOP, R13? Why did he do this to them?

by Anonymousreply 1402/05/2013

He is a closet democrat. Lol. You know he's ready to join the Inclusive popular democrats.

by Anonymousreply 1502/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1602/05/2013

For better or worse, he 'looks the part', and like Shitt Rmoney, looking like a candidate is as viable as having the brains to do it.

by Anonymousreply 1702/05/2013

Exactly, R16. I wonder if that drunk-tweeting had any bearing on his withdrawal...

by Anonymousreply 1802/05/2013

The current image of the GOP is as the party of lame losers who are hopelessly out of touch. If Brown wanted to distance himself from that & instead become a moderate/conservative Dem who's "inclusive" & "progressive" without being "liberal", he might attract a lot of voters.

Polls & surveys show that most people aren't extreme on either side, so a candidate with reasonable positions that offer something to everyone would appeal to many.

And he is pretty cute, which never hurts.

by Anonymousreply 1902/05/2013

I so feel for those who've given millions of dollars but have little to show for it now because a dim-bulb aging pretty boy won't indulge their masturbatory fantasies.

by Anonymousreply 2002/05/2013

I think he (and other repubs who have turned it down) know they can't win the race now, the current sentiment is very anti repub after the Romney fiasco and the fiscal cliff mess.

To run and lose now would damage their reputation and prospects to run again. Better to wait it out until the general election.

by Anonymousreply 2102/05/2013

Holly Robichaud needs to do something about her hair.

by Anonymousreply 2202/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 2302/05/2013

Whoops, wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 2402/05/2013

I wonder if he will return as a Democrat? Much better prospects in MA, and he's persona non grata in the GOP

by Anonymousreply 2502/05/2013

I doubt it, R25. Maybe an Independent, but it's probably too late to become a Democrat now after all the anti-Native American things he said about Elizabeth Warren.

by Anonymousreply 2602/05/2013

Does he have a job? Will he go back to modeling?

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!