Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Richard Tisei passes on Massachusetts Senate race

2/3/13

Richard Tisei, one of the Republicans’ best hopes for the now-longshot Massachusetts Senate special election after Scott Brown took a pass, announced Saturday night that he too will sit out the race.

“I believe it’s imperative that the Republican party put forward a strong candidate who can help bring much-needed change to Washington,”the former State Senate minority leader said in a statement.

“Unfortunately, the timing is simply not right for me to do so — deeply as I feel about the need to strongly compete in this election. It was also my desire to make this decision as quickly as possible so that other potential candidates would be able to consider whether they should run.”

Tisei, 50, is keeping the door open to a future run for Congress. He’s openly gay, supports abortion rights and narrowly lost a House bid to Democratic congressman John Tierney in November, the closest of the state’s congressional races.

“Whether as a candidate or concerned citizen, I will continue to be involved with other men and women of integrity who share my desire for real reforms,” Tisei said.

Brown said Friday that he will not try to fill the seat vacated by now-Secretary of State John Kerry, opening the door to a run for governor next year instead.

Other Republicans who might still run for the Senate nomination are former Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey and former Gov. William Weld (who recently moved back to the state from New York). Gabriel Gomez, a former Navy Seal who works in finance, had expressed interest even before Brown’s announcement.

There’s buzz in some quarters about a member of the Romney family running, but that is unlikely at best.

The race that matters now is the contest for the Democratic nomination. Reps. Ed Markey and Stephen Lynch will face off in an April 30 primary. Brown was the first Republican elected to the U.S. Senate from Massachusetts since Edward Brooke in 1972.

Democrat Mo Cowan was appointed last week to serve as an interim senator.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

A U.S. Senate race he can pass on, but a buffet? That's another story...

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

The State Senator Minority leader?

The smell of desperation is becoming stronger. Ann Romney, the wife of a loser? Richard Tisei, another loser? Except this one is a gay boy without any self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

[quote]Ann Romney, the wife of a loser?

No way are the Romneys going to run. The article mentions it in passing because a few Republicans have brought up the idea, but the Romney name is disliked in MA.

Mitt lost Massachusetts by 20+ points in November.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

Ann Romney has MS. Ain't no way she's running.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

Tisei is such an ass. He thinks we should admire him because he is openly-gay and yet he supports the GOP which is working to take his rights away.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

just remember that Massachusetts Republicans are a little different, or at least behave themselves while they're here

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

Behave themselves how?

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

they don't go batshit until they seek higher office out-of-state

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.