Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Riots: Has it gotten more unsafe in your area?

I feel like we are going to see more of these as the economy gets worse and worse. In my area, it's actually quite unsafe. I usually don't go out when it gets dark. I think there may be riots in my city when things gets unbearable. So have you ever seen a riot? I personally haven't, but I think I may see one soon. When I do, I will be out of there fast and running quickly for the safety of my house.

by Anonymousreply 6802/05/2013

I think the economy is getting better, not worse. Recent poll showed people are more optimistic about the job market and the economy in general.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

When was the last actual violent riot in the US? Los Angeles in 1992? I can't think of any that are more recent.

Where do you live OP?

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

Where do you live, OP? Cairo?

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

Not riots. But more bank robberies, pharmacy robberies (one kid robbed a CVS pharmacy of all their opiates during the day), more desperate robberies like delivery drivers and cab drivers.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

I thought this thread read as

[quote]Has it gotten more unsafe in your arse?

Which would have been more interesting than this OP's paranoid misinterpretation of local trends in her area.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

I wouldn't be surprised if riots start happening in the US, so many people have lost everything. Riots happen when people feel they have nothing to lose, especially the young men.

Of course, I, personally, don't feel threatened. I live in a sleepy college town, and college students always have at least the hope of a better future.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

If we didn't have an urban riot in the last two years of Bush Jr's reign of terror, when there were two wars going on and the economy was crashing, we're certainly not going to have one now. Americans don't seem terribly interested in rioting anymore.

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

R8, almost none of what you said is true.

Unemployment is NOT at a record high. By any means. Inflation is moderate-to-nonexistent.

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

The stock market is at an all time high and people want to riot?

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

Unemployment is at 7.7%, down from 10% in early 2009.

Just the facts.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

I can easily foresee a THIRD riot in LA's future.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

I was in the Battle of Seattle, got tear gassed and everything. I can't say it wasn't scary as hell, but I don't regret it either. Change can get a little ugly sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

Just wait until the gold crisis.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

I live in Southern California, in the area where the housing crisis hit the most but I do not sense any unrest, in fact, business seems to be picking up and home sales are rising.

I think OP and R11 are Freepers.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

R8/11/13/16----go back to Free Republic where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

No r16. Those are the facts as you want to see. Polls are showing that people are more optimistic about the economy and the job market. The unemployed are looking again and they are optimistic.

When Obama took office, the country was in a deep recession. 4 years later we are digging our way out. Is there room for improvement? Of course, but it's a good start and hopefully the trend continues. Negative Nellies like you hope for doom and gloom until a Republican comes along, right?

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

[quote]This healthcare bill is going to really do us in too.

OMFG, you poor scared little ignorant thing.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

r9, non-existent inflation? Where the hell do you live?

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

I don't see riots happening anytime soon. However, I do see more violent robberies, more violent interactions between people, more unexplained acts of violence.

I never thought that gas would be $3.50 to 4 dollars a gallon, and people by and large seem to just be accepting the situation.

The ones who might riot would be the future younger generations, who will face a more limited future.

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

The only people that are about to riot are the Tea Partiers and Gun loonies.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

As others have said, more crime, but not riots. In a few ways, the economy is doing better, but, in other ways the numbers are misleading and the economy is just as bad, if not worse, as during the recession. the U.S. economy is enormous - even though there is widespread economic woes and a LOT of people hurting (badly), it would take a shit ton of things to happen so that it appears that nearly everyone is suffering and the U.S. is completely falling apart. Some asshat started a thread last year, asking "how is the economy bad, when I still people out shopping and dining out?" Again, absolutely, a lot of people are struggling and it may be getting worse, but the economy is huge, and, actually, a lot of people aren't in dire straits.

Also, though more people are now having the unfortunate displeasure of living through their own personal economic nightmare - no money, no jobs, having to piece together a life through evaporating savings, working multiple shitty jobs (if they can get them), unstable living arrangements, etc., a bigger-than-anyone-wants-to-acknowledge segment of the population has ALWAYS lived this way (even during "boom" time) And, there were generally no riots over it.

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

Ahem, UK here, gas is about $9.40 a gallon. No riots.

Americans are too comfortable for large scale riots to break out. You say "tell it to those having to work two jobs" - those people have always existed, even without a recession.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

r26, I wouldn't be so quick to compare the UK to the USA. Different cultures, really. If gas ever got that expensive here in the USA, there would, indeed, be chaos. There would be at least economic chaos.

Anyone remember the oil crisis of the late 1970s? Remember the gas rationing, which was mild, true, but I remember people in our area were going at it with guns sometimes. Gun violence was not the norm back then.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

OP is a freak. crime is WAY down across the board.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

Libertarian Idiot alert!

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

I live in the Hamptons. The only riots here would be from sitting in the long traffic jams of contractors and workers building new or renovating 5 year old mega mansions.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

Riots require a large group of people thinking the same way, thinking others are in their situation, and maybe some degree of political awareness (that is if you expect a riot in response to economic conditions). Americans are too divided and lack political awareness. Not likely that there will be riots, agree there will be more attacks against people, crime, attacks against people in their neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

I have no idea when it will happen, but I am sure that, sooner or later, there will be a total collapse of the economy, and followed by the end of law and order. It just stands to reason that you can't hold up a financial house of cards forever with deficit spending. I am not involved in any organized survivalism, but being a Southern country boy, I would be hunting, fishing, and growing some of my own food anyway. I grow a vegetable garden and keep chickens at my suburban 2 acre home. I am prepared at any time it is no longer safe here, or if I lose my job, to take the chickens, and my seeds and go to my very secluded hunting property in the woods. I am prepared to live there, self-sufficently for an indefinate period. It would get difficult if I were to run out of kerosene, propane, and diesel fuel, and be unable to get more. But I could rig up something to run the water pump and grist mill, and figure out ways to get by.

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

Things are improving gradually. The doomsayers will be disappointed. Look at history. We have survived many economic depressions. There is ABSOLUTELY no risk of economic collapse. That risk existed in the heat of the crisis back in 2008, but was averted.

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

[quote] We have survived many economic depressions.

As a homogenous society based on assimilation -- not as the multicultural society we have now.

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

Forecast U.S. inflation rate for January, 2013:

[bold]1.5%[/bold].

Libertarian idiots.

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

OP = Shirley Maclaine, still not over the creme brulee incident.

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

[quote]I never thought that gas would be $3.50 to 4 dollars a gallon, and people by and large seem to just be accepting the situation.

Pfft. Gas prices more than tripled in the 1970s. We responded by making cars more efficient. They doubled in the 1990s. They doubled again in the 2000s.

People learn to deal.

by Anonymousreply 3802/04/2013

[quote]As a homogenous society based on assimilation -- not as the multicultural society we have now.

Bullshit. We have never been a homogenous society. There have been blacks and Asians and large groups of "foreign" immigrants throughout our entire history.

The hysterical people don't know history so they can't put things in perspective.

by Anonymousreply 3902/04/2013

[quote]Hee Hee -- [R35] believes government numbers.

Given the choice between trusting my government and a handful of unmedicated Libertarians reporting from an alternate universe wracked with imaginary hyperinflation, it's not really a choice now is it?

by Anonymousreply 4002/04/2013

[quote]I have no idea when it will happen, but I am sure that, sooner or later

*rolls eyes*

you poor ninny!

by Anonymousreply 4102/04/2013

Question for those who think there is little inflation these days---have you been to a grocery store lately? I guess if your mommy is buying everything you want for you, then your prices are not going up.

by Anonymousreply 4202/04/2013

It's like this thread has been taken over by Sarah Palin. "I'm spending more on milk, therefore inflation must be rampant!"

I'm sure that all these problems (rioting about to break out, etc.) would now be magically gone and it would be Morning in America if Romney had won the election.

by Anonymousreply 4302/04/2013

R43, you are the only one who has said anything about Romney being elected. The deficit spending which has destroyed the economic system of the country has been going on since the Nixon administration, regardless of which party held the White House. Johnson had gotten the country bogged down in a foreign military adventure, just like the Bush boy, but he at least had the good sense to get the Congress to pay for it with a 10% tax surcharge.

by Anonymousreply 4402/04/2013

[quote]The deficit spending which has destroyed the economic system of the country has been going on since the Nixon administration, regardless of which party held the White House.

Except the economic system of this country is not destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 4502/04/2013

[quote]Question for those who think there is little inflation these days---have you been to a grocery store lately?

That's not "inflation."

by Anonymousreply 4602/04/2013

There will be riots when Americans finally wake up and realize they have been completely fucked over.

by Anonymousreply 4802/04/2013

The unemployment figures can't be accurate, I think most of us know that.

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2013

I don't think the job market is getting better. I've been laid off for 9 months.

That said, I think the problem is not Obama---the problem is that large corporations are milking the economy for what it's worth. They are sitting on jobs now in order to pay people less later. This economic crisis works out for them when they can hire experienced, educated people desperate for work less money than what they're used to getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 5002/04/2013

Welcome to the realities of globalism. Bow down before your corporate masters.

by Anonymousreply 5102/04/2013

OP, where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 5202/04/2013

At least there are some reasonable people here that aren't trying to sell sunshine and kittens.

It's ugly out there, with no real recovery in sight. Do I hope it will get better? For the sake of us all, yes I really do.

As far as the healthcare bill? You have seen how many businesses have responded and insurance rates are going through the roof still. It did nothing but to make things much worse. People who can't afford insurance are fined? How does that help anyone? I could go on and on. You that believe everything is just fine, I am happy your life, jobs, etc. hasn't been affected and I wish you continued happiness. For those of you out there that have been living through this nightmare, I wish I could help you and I hope stability finds you soon. We used to have the extra resources to pull together and help our family or neighbors. That's not possible in today's new reality.

by Anonymousreply 5302/04/2013

r39, in the past, immigrants aspired to join the culture, not have a multi-cultural society. There was also in centuries past not such a great diversity of so many races and nationalities, many of whom have nothing in common with one another. Do you really think they will just help one another out, as in a Disney production? I have not seen this happen yet. If/when times get worse, I can't imagine highly diverse groups will ever stick together to work as one.

I feel that the downfall we face will be due to the lack of oil. Our society and economy is dependent on cheap, reliable and plentiful oil. Without that, the house of cards collapses. The economy cannot grow. Do a search on Peak Oil. Decide for yourself. When PO gets worse, it won't be a matter of just a recession or depression we could all magically pull out of. It will mean a total restructuring of our way of life in profound, and permanent ways.

by Anonymousreply 5402/04/2013

I am shocked on a weekly basis as to the price of groceries. Shocked. I don't know how single parents do it, or poor people. I don't think they can afford to eat right, obviously.

I see more people taking buses than ever before or driving older cars that need bodywork and paint jobs.

I see despair on people's faces--they are not hiding it very well.

And yet, they all have full-sleeve tattoos.

by Anonymousreply 5502/04/2013

[quote]in the past, immigrants aspired to join the culture, not have a multi-cultural society.

There is no reason to assume today's immigrants are any different. Immigrant communities always continued to use their native languages until the older generation died off.

All this talk of a "culture" of the past vs. today's "multiculturalism" is true only from a WASP point of view and, frankly, sounds like barely veiled racism. The WASPs lost their exclusive control in the middle of the last century. Get over it.

[quote] There was also in centuries past not such a great diversity of so many races and nationalities, many of whom have nothing in common with one another.

They all have America in common.

by Anonymousreply 5602/04/2013

I am shocked on a weekly basis **as to** the price of groceries.

"By" would have worked much better here. "As to" is inelegant and inefficient.

by Anonymousreply 5702/04/2013

r10 Not so much

by Anonymousreply 5802/04/2013

r56, if we all don't aspire to a common culture and language, we end up with chaos, not a melting pot. No racism implied. That is just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 5902/04/2013

Sigh...well, if they do riot, let them eat creme brulee!!!

by Anonymousreply 6002/04/2013

This thread is useless without teargas.

by Anonymousreply 6102/04/2013

Why don't all of you unhappy people buy guns and start the revolution?

by Anonymousreply 6202/04/2013

I've begun shoplifting at our market. YOu can put two ribeyes (one package) down the front of your jeans real fast.

by Anonymousreply 6302/04/2013

The OP is a racist cunt, trying to blame black people for the crime waves in urban America.

by Anonymousreply 6402/05/2013

OP is a racist r64 but who would you blame for the crime wave in Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis and Oakland?

by Anonymousreply 6502/05/2013

Half of Chicago's mental health clinics closed last April. That probably didn't help the situation.

by Anonymousreply 6602/05/2013

The lowlife of shitcago have moved to Minnie / st Paul

by Anonymousreply 6702/05/2013

r61, the thread is useless without creme brulee.

by Anonymousreply 6802/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.