Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What objects or things remind you of your childhood?

Man, my childhood was awesome. The thing that I remember most fondly about my childhood was coming home from visting my cousins. It was dark and no one was around. The darkness was blissful to me.

by Anonymousreply 3302/05/2013

Coming home after school in the winter and smelling dinner cooking. It would be dark in the living room, the only light on would be in the kitchen. That feeling always says home to me.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2013

Being driven at night in the winter months thinking everything is alright in the world.

Rather perversely the smell of ejaculate does as well. We once lived near a forrest of trees that smelled of it. I always liked that smell and told my mother so at age 6. She smiled sweetly and knowingly and said, "I thought you might."

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2013

Aubusson tapestries... Ming vases... that sort of thing. It reminds me of a simpler, more innocent time.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2013

The smell of indoor garages. My grandparents had one in the building they lived in in White plains, NY, and my grandpa took me everywhere in his gold car (which I remember as silver for some reason) He was the best grandpa that ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

When I was a kid, I'd spend the whole day just looking at the different type of weeds and wild flowers in the empty lot next to our house. I used to collect wildflowers. When I see dried wildflowers, it reminds me of my childhood... So long ago, sigh....

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

Case Study Houses

Golf tees

Clydesdale horses

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

Crayola Crayons, artist's paper pads.

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

Rain.

I HAD to play outside during the summer. My mother didn't want me messing up her clean house or mopped floors. Even when it rained, I'd have to stay out. I'd find shelter (sometimes in my dog's house) but usually I enjoyed the rain so much I'd stand out in it and let it drench me. I was lucky I wasnt struck by lightening.

When it rains now, especially in Summer, I feel really calm. I shut everything down, TV, music, computer, open the windows and just listen to it. Sometimes, I'll sit outside and get wet.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

A cracked mirror.

Creaking floorboards.

A doll without eyes.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

Fireflies

The chlorine smell of swimming pools, and that chlorine smell that got stuck in your nose after spending all day in the pool

Baseball games on tv

Summer thunderstorms

Abbott and Costelo movies

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

I was a wee child in the '80s but what I do remember was it was a relatively conservative decade. DARE was a big part of my elementary years, thanks to Nancy Reagan. War on Drugs was so '80s. Michael Jackson and Madonna immediately bring back my childhood as those two were God and Goddess. You could not escape them. I also remember "Where's the Beef." 80s commercials were all about memorable lines.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

Freshly cut grass. It reminds me of the summer between preschool and kindergarten, when I'd watch my father mow the lawn. I'd sit on the porch next to his open can of Coors and pack of Salems.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Cars from the 1950s and early '60s are what most makes me feel nostalgic. The smell that most reminds me of childhood is cigarette smoke. Seems like everybody smoked back then.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

R13, didn't cigarette smoke smell different then? I remember it smelling rather pleasant in the late 60's and early 70's, now it smells like shit, chemicals, and despair.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

Any song from the 1960s.

Old Star Trek reruns.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

Big floppy straw hats

We were so poor, I didn't have clothes for the first ten years of my life. Then Momma gave me an old floppy hat so's I could look out the window.

She died of blindness the next year - drank so much magic water out of the tub she somersaulted down several flights of stairs. She never could stick the landings.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

Staging death scenes with my sister's barbies and my father's video camera.

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

[quote]Big floppy straw hats We were so poor, I didn't have clothes for the first ten years of my life. Then Momma gave me an old floppy hat so's I could look out the window.

Was she Bella Abzug?

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

Fiddler on the Roof (my sweet mom used to sing music to me)

The Bee Gees

Star Wars

Night Gallery

David Bowie

A map of Middle Earth that my brother used to have on his wall

Salem's Lot

View Master (I used to have slides of the TV show, Dark Shadows)

by Anonymousreply 1902/04/2013

Summer Shade and long winding roads reminds me of my childhood. I grew up on a farm and ..

Every time I drive pass a large tree or set of trees with shade , I get very nostalgic

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

Neighborhood kids riding bikes behind the fog machine trucks (anti-mosquito) in summer.

Basically it was foggy insecticide.

We thought it was great.

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

The DDT truck, r21?

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

Fresh asphalt

The sound of Big Wheels on the pavement

Hearing the loudspeaker from the high school football stadium and the distant roar of the crowd

The sound of a locomotive whistle at night

Distant sounds of laughter and music from a party in the beighborhood

Streets under an arched tunnel caused by trees (Dutch elms when I was a kid, always some other trees now).

Dogs barking

The smell of leaves burning

The noise of a basketball on a driveway

School bells

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

The smell of carbon paper

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

The smell of bubble gum

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

DDT?! Was that the active ingredient?

It was a white-blue smoke and it left your hair greasy when you followed the truck for blocks on a bike, weaving in and out of the smoke.

Big fun.

We're all going to die prematurely, aren't we?

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

Spam.

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

DDT R26?

As kids we used to mix DDT up in barrels with our ARMS and then pour it into the hopper of the Crop Sprayer.

We used to stand in the fields so the crop duster could see where to dust his next swath of DDT.... such fun and I can still smell it.

Of course,the chemical companies knew we were being poisoned but just like today ... they didn't care really.

Expendables

Jeez... we ate mudpies as kids as well and we had fricken horses,chickens and cattle wandering through our prime mudpie assembly area.

"Don't put that in your mouth...it's dirty", was the constant shout from my mom!

I'm 62 and had a sick day back in 1978 I think. Even I'm surprised.

So far so good... knock on wood.

But many of my childhood friends from my generation and hometown died of weird cancers in their 50s and 60s and I attribute it to the "better life through chemistry" bullshit we were fed back in the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

18th century Italian furniture.

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

The crud-lined jar of Vaseline in the family medicine cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 3002/05/2013

The coconut smell of sun tan lotion....which is a very different smell than sunblock.

by Anonymousreply 3102/05/2013

Mimeograph smell.

by Anonymousreply 3302/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.