Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Daniel Day Lewis an A-lister?

I think he's a terrific actor. Not sure which list he's on.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013

Probably B or B+ in terms of what really counts to Hollywood - bankability. He's not a box-office draw, and does character roles as well as leads.

But he has so much prestige that he's probably an honorary A-.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

2 Oscars means he's A list.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

I think he exists outside of celebrity, if that makes any sense. He's a living legend, about to win his third Best Actor Oscar.

And besides, we live in a world where crack dealers like Jay-z are A-list, so why would DDL lose sleep over it?

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

[quote]He's not a box-office draw

Disagree. His name brings a certain interest to a project - people know at least he'll be worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

Every time he makes a film he gets nominated for an Oscar ! So,yes!

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

He is either on the A List or beyond the A List, don't know which one.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

Better: he doesn't NEED to be on the A-list.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Besides two Oscars for Best Actor (never a Supporting actor), he is married to Rebecca Miller, daughter of great American playwright Arthur Miller, who was married to Marilyn Monroe.

That makes him Definitely A List in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

He's an untouchable and transcends lists.

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2013

The true definition of an A-lister is someone who gets the first offer on the plum projects - the names on the B list being those you call after the A-lister has turned it down.

I'm pretty sure DDL is the first pick for every director he works with - and those directors are all A-listers themselves.

Can't even believe this question was even asked, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2013

He is A list.

His name associated with a project brings with it a cache that makes a lot of other A-listers want to be involved in the project.

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2013

R10, as everyone in Hollywood knows, he was NOT Spielberg's first choice to play Lincoln. The role was originally going to be played by Liam Neeson (a "Schindler's List" reunion) but Liam bowed out because of scheduling issues.

Only then did Spielberg approach DDL, and even then wasn't convinced DDL was right for the role until DDL came to meet him in character, and stayed that way for an interview that lasted all day.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2013

Yes, I agree this is a stupid question.

Whether he was the first choice or not, he transcends lists. He's in Meryl Streep territory.

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2013

I stand corrected, R12.

And a little astonished. I don't know if I just have DDL's performance burned in my brain, but I can't picture Neeson as Lincoln. I'm amazed that Spielberg went to him first, as he doesn't have DDL's acting chops or prestige (and he's absolutely DISMAL at accents), although I suppose (getting back to the OP's question) he is a proven box office draw.

I still think DDL is A list, though.

by Anonymousreply 1402/04/2013

I'm with R9, he is bigger than lists.

Anyway, didn't the A List start out as a party thing? As in (to a minion), "I'm having a party, invite the A List."

CDAN's criteria used to be Oscar made you A List for life, but now is more about box-office. Which by his standards, for example, makes Liza B List. Nuts. Some people are just A and for life. Box-office be damned.

by Anonymousreply 1502/04/2013

DDL is A-List enough to have courteously tuned down the role at least twice - while SS and Kushner re-worked the script - before finally accepting.

With Neeson's refusal DDL doubtless knew he had the upper hand with SS, for whom the project came first. I wonder though if any other actor has ever turned down Spielberg twice, and still got the job; or will ever again.

by Anonymousreply 1602/04/2013

^ turned down

by Anonymousreply 1702/04/2013

Neeson was Spielberg's first choice YEARS ago, like back when DDL was semi-retired. At the time it made perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 1802/04/2013

He's an actor, not a movie star. He'll never be mobbed on the street by screaming fans or have paparazzi stalking him.

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2013

He is most assuredly not in 'Meryl Streep territory', r13.

Meryl has greater name recognition than DDL, and his upcoming third Oscar won't change that.

He is not talked about as much as she is; his films don't do as much box office as hers; he is not as iconic as Meryl.

Meryl is peerless; DDL has Ralph Fiennes/Anthony Hopkins/Sean Penn/Russell Crowe as competitors, regardless of their respective Oscar count.

DDL is A list.

Meryl Streep is A+ list.

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2013

The fact that Streep Loon thinks Anthony Hopkins, Ralph "WHET" Finnes, and Russell "FAT" Crowe are in the same league with DDL tells you everything you need to know about her warped mind.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.