Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm too desperate to get a job

Lately I feel so nervous and beaten down at interviews. How are you suppose to be confident nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013

Girlfriend, you need to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

I feel you OP. Either I feel depressed in an interview or I just dont give a fuck anymore. Either you want me or you dont!

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

OP and R2, I'm right there with you. I am SO sick of doing these performances in interviews only to end up not getting the job. It disgusts me having to be nice to interviewers who are flat-out cunts and have daggers in their eyes, and it makes me even more sick when I don't get the job and went through all that shit for nothing.

And can someone explain to me how I can show these fuckers letters of recommendation, awards, and excellent work performance reviews from past jobs PROVING that I'm a good worker, yet I STILL don't get the job??? So sick of this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

Oh r3, you do not have a good attitude. We only want enthusiastic people who share our vision to join our corporate family

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2013

agree with r2 and r3.

It will be a fine day, (if) and when the economy turns around and employers can't find employees for their crappy jobs.

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

R3, I totally empathize with you. I'm in the process of interviewing for an academic job right now. I'm perfectly qualified with all of the things you mention. I'm personable and articulate and an expert in my field with tons of experience.

However, even though I feel the same resentment you do, I recognize that there are other candidates who could say the same thing and have the same credentials. With such a glut of qualified candidates, it's a crap shoot and there's nothing you or I can do but our best and then let it go.

So I'd say: lose the attitude. It comes through even if you think it doesn't and the bitterness and rage is a turnoff.

Thanks, R1, for the Ted talk. I found it helpful.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

I feel you in a big way, OP. I was laid off last year and have applied for hundreds of jobs. I'm frustrated in a big way.

Prime example: I interviewed for a job in August and felt it went well. I actually interviewed twice for this job---once by phone and then again in person with two different people. I never heard back and the hiring manager ignored my follow up email. I have seen this job posted every month since then. This has actually happened a number of times. As if in this economy, they cannot find someone who is qualified to do the work.

I'm tired of it all in a jump off the Golden Gate kind of way....

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2013

I just got scheduled for another job interview next week which I'm sure will go nowhere. I have to interview with FOUR interviewers! I'm so tired of going through all these hoops for nothing. It's such an emotional and stressful process when you go through interview after interview and NOTHING happens.

I should be happy to have an interview, but I'm to the point I'm burned out and depressed.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2013

That's happened to me countless times too, R7. I interviewed for a job in December of 2010 that had been posted since that April. The HR lady told me they wanted to make a decision soon. I think the ad was still on there up until April of 2012. You mean in 2 years not a single qualified person applied? I think what's happening is that they're posting the ads when a vacancy comes up and then--as people pick up the slack in the interim--realize they don't need to fill the position b/c they can just overwork their existing employees instead of paying for a new person. It happened again to me recently. I interviewed somewhere a few months ago and, not only have I not heard back, but they've yet to hire anybody at all. A friend works at the company and is literally drowning in work, but they seem to be in no hurry to bring in anyone new and are happy to let their existing employees work themselves to death.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2013

Then... you need to change course. Going to cattle call after cattle call, where everyone has similar attributes, is pointless.

It's difficult to believe a company has to even advertise anymore, when everybody's brother-in-law is unemployed. Probably HR's plot to remain relevant.

When things get better, try to conjecture what you want to be doing the rest of your years on Earth (hopefully not working with "dagger-eyed cunts"). Then head that way.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2013

You had an interview?

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2013

Me too op

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2013

OP maybe there's something you can do to work for yourself. all the best, hope this helps

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2013

I'm 36, with ten years experience in my field. I've been out of work for almost a year. I've gone for every last opening in my field and I just seem to fail each time.

Finally, I just applied for a waiting tables job. Life sucks.

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!