Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ben Affleck wins Directors Guild award as 'Argo' hurtles to Oscars

The Hollywood directors' recognition for Affleck, however, is an awkward result for the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, which failed to nominate him for best director in what is considered one of the biggest snubs of this year's Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013

Tom Hooper, director of Les Miserables, deserves the all directing awards including the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

Well the LES MIZ groupies didn't take long to soil this thread.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

I'm sure most people snubbed by the Oscars would love to have their wounds licked the way Affleck has this awards season.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

But he still won't have the OSCAR which is what he really salivating for and really thinks he deserves. He'll be licking his wounds for a lifetime over this one.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

Obviously he is Illuminati and this movie is nothing but a big heap of CIA propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

R2. The thread isn't soiled. Les Miserables is an outstanding movie and should be recognized as such. I actually think that Anne Hathaway was good but sort of the weak link of the movie, while everyone else was great including the the directing and production elements of Les Miz. It deserves to be recognized.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

As the produer of the picture, if Argo wins he will certainly have another Oscar for his shelf.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Affleck could remake "Gigli" and the Academy would throw him the Oscar next time just to make up for this snup.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

He's been cranky ever since Matt left him for John Krasinski.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

Honestly, I have more respect for kathryn Bigelow, who's managed to avoid playing for sympathy while Affleck talks about how depressed he was.

She's got more balls than he does. And her achievement this year is equal to his.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

Let's not forget Ben already has an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

But he doesn't have the directing Oscar which is what he's whining about this year. The fact that he already has an Oscar and could pick up another one this year makes his whining even more pathetic. He's just another straight white entitled male who obviously didn't get enough votes from the other straight white male directors of the academy.

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

He'll get an Oscar as producer. Watch them name it Best Picture out of guilt for snubbing him.

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

The SAG, PGA and DGA awards seem like make up awards but will his movie win the Oscar after all his whining? I sense a backlash.

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

This also shows how the academy has changed. In the olden days of Redford and Beatty and Kostner, Ben would have been nominated and would have won.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

So Ben Affleck wants the oscar for best director. Why wouldn't he? He mentioned being sad about not getting a nom but I hardly say he's whining about it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

You want to hear whining? Wait until AnnE loses her Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

Where is all this Ben Affleck hoopla coming from all of the sudden? His career was dormant for years, and now because of one somewhat decent movie he's great?

I guess all of the other award shows are automatically giving him awards to make up for not getting an Oscar nomination, since Ben got "depressed" over it.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

He's proving to be a better director than actor, R18. He's made a string of well-received movies in the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

Three decent movies does not make him overdue for anything.

I've always wondered how much of that Oscar he really won. Considering it wasn't all that great a screenplay I suppose it barely matters.

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

It's not all of the sudden r18. He's been directing great movies since 2007. Check your calendar, it's 2013 now.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

R19, Martin Scorcese and Spielberg had to wait several years and several film later until they received their reward for best picture. I don't think he's owed anything after only 3 pictures. They're rewarding him because he's a handsome leading actor turned director. They seem to like those types.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

I thought The Town was an overhyped piece of shit. And I won't be able to take Ben seriously as a director until he stops casting himself in his own films. He cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

I meant Oscar for best director, best picture. Spielberg received his first Oscar in 1993 for Schindler's List and his first feature film was in 1977. Affeck Is just a recent director, he doesn't have the longevity like the others. He needs to earn it.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

We're talking about a nomination, not a win. It's odd to win DGA and not get an Oscar nomination. Don't the two groups have a lot of overlap? Or do all Academy members nominate directors?

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2013

r23 believe it or not, nobody cares about YOU.

Scorsese got a director nomination for Taxi Driver, which was only his third or fourth feature.

r25 DGA includes television directors too, but yes it is rare for the two groups not to agree on the nominations (and awards). At this point I think the explanation for Affleck not getting an Academy nomination is just that the directors all assumed he was a sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.