Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What is it like working in Silicon Valley?

I've heard a lot of horror stories about the place. Do you get paid a lot working there? If employees are being treated so badly, there must be some reason why there are some people who still want to work there.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013

It really depends on the company and the role. I'm a software developer at a larger public company and while it's stressful at times and there is a lot of internal politics, I get paid 6 figures and generally don't work much more than 40 hours a week. It is pretty nice living in the Bay Area as an experienced developer - recruiters reach out to my on LinkedIn all the time. There is a glut of roles for good developers and not enough people to go around - especially since American schools are so horrible at STEM education.

The small startups generally skew younger and demand much more of your time. Frankly it seems that the VCs (venture capitalists) just seek out the youngest people possible for startups - they have a lot of energy (so they work 60 hour weeks) and are inexperienced so they don't know what they're really worth. A lot of them burn out after a couple years.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

At a late-stage startup now, but was at one of the big Internet companies before this. Good pay, good benefits, work from home 2-3 days a week, flex time, good cafeteria.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

What is STEM?

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

Pay is high, but the cost of living is higher. Be prepared for an outrageous rent/mortgage payment, or an outrageous commute.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

STEM = Science Technology Engineering and Math

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2013

Echo what R4 said. The Bay area is beautiful and diverse but it's expensive and you need a good car.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2013

Most men like that space in between my titties.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.