Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Not even a gun range had enough good guys with a gun to stop one bad guy with a gun

[bold] Former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle Reportedly Killed at Shooting Range; Suspect Arrested [/bold]

A man is under arrest in connection with the killing of two men at an Erath County, Texas, gun range, police said.

One of the victims is reportedly former Navy SEAL and best-selling author Chris Kyle.

ABC affiliate WFAA-TV in Dallas reported that three sources said Kyle, author of the New York Times bestselling book, "American Sniper," and a neighbor of his were shot while helping a soldier who is recovering from post traumatic stress syndrome at a gun range in Glen Rose.

The suspect, identified as Eddie Routh, 25, was arrested in Lancaster, Texas, after a brief police chase, a Lancaster Police Department dispatcher told ABC News.

The suspect was arrested later alter crashing Kyle's stolen truck into a police car in an attempt to escape.

One thing is sure. If there's not enough of Wayne LaPierre's "good guys with a gun" at a shooting range where ALL of the good guys have a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun, then how will more guns conceivably make us any safer?

by Anonymousreply 6902/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

Wow, all the 101st Chairborne, He-Fraus, I know were creaming themselves to that guy's book. I'm sure after they talk about the Superbowl, they'll tell me it was probably a false flag operation designed to let Obama steal their guns.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

Do they know yet why the sniper was gunned down like that? I understand there was some sort of disagreement, but over what?

Did they know each other?

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

He killed hundreds protecting their... country.... good riddance...spineless murderer

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

But guns don't kill people. . .

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

Dr. Ruth was a sniper -- the Brits finally tracked her down and shot her in the legs to get her out of the tree she was using as a nest.

Snipers have their own mindset, far different from the average soldier.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

No one's mentioned yet how HOT the Navy SEAL was?

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

The gun nut anti-government kooks think he was murdered - some kind of government hit against the "pro-gun" good guys.

After the episode with the crazy anti-government wingnut who shot the bus driver and kidnapped the kid in Alabama and the loons who think Sandy Hook was faked, you'd think the Republicans would realize there is a really, seriously terrifying lunatic fringe on the pro-gun side of this debate, with whom they have affiliated themselves.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

I wonder if it is one of those Wild West type things were one shooter kills a better shooter to glom on his reputation

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

They're already talking about that, R2. Saying it's OBVIOUSLY a hit and that Obama's behind it.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

Oh, and other FReepers/right-wing nutjobs are saying it's a "Muslim revenge killing."

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

This is why you don't take a guy with PTSD to a gun range. Seems like he might get a flashback than any "healing".

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

This guy was a nut. He was clearly obsessed with killing Muslims for Jesus. I'd read a few excerpts of his book and I couldn't believe a publisher would print such inflammatory stuff. I wonder what they left out?

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

It only takes one person to end your life.

I remember when Chris Kyle was making the media rounds last year to promote his book. I actually put it on my books to get list.

Using, buying, and selling guns attracts dangerous people.

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

They always say "but RESPONSIBLE gun owners don't do that" - they're all "responsible" until they're not. Instead of considering the notion that some people are too stupid or deranged to handle a gun, they'd rather concoct a falseflag gun grab motive.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

R14, what part of his message did you like? I found him extremely creepy. I found the He-Fraus at work creepier for admiring him.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

R16 I was interested in his story and how he became so successful.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

[quote]Chris Kyle (April 8, 1974 - February 2, 2013) was a United States Navy SEAL and the most lethal sniper in American military history, with 160 confirmed kills (out of 255 claimed kills),[3][4] although these statistics have not been released by the Pentagon

[quote]Born in Odessa, Texas, Kyle was the son of a Sunday school teacher and a deacon.[3] His father bought him his first gun at 8 years old, a bolt-action .30-06 Springfield rifle

That's a big rifle for a little boy...kicks like a mule.

[quote]His first long-range kill shot was taken during the initial invasion, when he shot a woman approaching a group of US Marines with a hand grenade in her hand. As ordered, he opened fire, killing the woman before she could attack.[8]

[quote]For his deadly track record as a marksman during his deployment to Ramadi, the insurgents named him Shaitan Ar-Ramadi (English The Devil of Ramadi), and put a $20,000 bounty on his head that was later increased to $80,000.[3][4][8]

[quote]In 2008 outside Sadr City, he made his longest successful shot, after he spotted an insurgent with a rocket launcher near a U.S. Army convoy at a range of 2,100 yards (1.2 mi). He fired a shot from his Lapua Magnum PGM .338 rifle, killing the insurgent as told in his book American Sniper.

[quote]During four tours of duty in Iraq, Kyle was shot twice and caught up in six separate IED explosions

[quote]Adelbert Waldron, previously held the record for the most confirmed kills in U.S. military history, with 109 kills during the Vietnam War

[quote]Carlos Hathcock, had 93 confirmed kills as a long-range sniper in the Vietnam war, subject of the book One Shot, One Kill

[quote]Chuck Mawhinney, holds the highest number of confirmed kills (103) for any sniper in the U.S. Marine Corps

[quote]Craig Harrison, British Army marksman in Afghanistan, killed two Taliban machine gunners in 2009 from 2,700 yards with a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle

[quote]Jack Coughlin, retired Marine sniper with over 60 confirmed kills whose service includes the Iraq War and Somalia

[quote]Lyudmila Pavlichenko, a Soviet sniper during World War II, credited with 309 kills, and is regarded as the most successful female sniper in history

[quote]Simo Häyhä, holds the record of confirmed sniper kills in any major war with 542 Soviet soldiers shot during the Russian invasion of Finland in World War II

Longest Confirmed Kill:

Corporal of Horse (CoH) Craig Harrison

November 2009 t

2,475 m (2,707 yd)

L115A3 Long Range Rifle

.338 Lapua Magnum LockBase B408 bullets t

United Kingdom

Household Cavalry – Life Guards

War in Afghanistan

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

I find it's best to give people with PTSD a stuffed animal or to take them to the petting zoo.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

If Mr. LaPierre had his way the killer would have had his name on a national registry of people with mental health problems. That would be sticky.

by Anonymousreply 2002/04/2013

Oh, but I thought guns save lives!

by Anonymousreply 2102/04/2013

Maybe now the NRA can stop saying that good guys with guns are the only things that can stop bad guys with guns. I'm sorry for this guy's death, but this is about as clear cut an example of someone with expertise and training still being killed by a random person as you could get. At a shooting range, no less. Maybe now the gun lobby will ease up on their idea that being armed will automatically save lives.

by Anonymousreply 2202/04/2013

Was Chris Kyle a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 2302/04/2013

Yeah r22, and maybe pigs will fly. The NRA couldn't care less about saving lives, they're just a front for gun merchants.

by Anonymousreply 2402/04/2013

Free Republic thinks Obama is behind it:

by Anonymousreply 2502/04/2013

It never occurs to Freepers that a bunch of paranoid gun nuts might actually be harmful. It's easier for them to think of a vast conspiracy theory of drugging, hypnotism or being deliberately driven mad over the internet.

One of the freeps trots out the "these guys were mentally ill" line. Now, if guns were taken off any of these guys, what would the freeper reaction have been?

by Anonymousreply 2602/04/2013

When you go shooting guns with friends make sure they are sane enough to be handling a gun. Most people killed with a gun are killed by a gun owner

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

also, what if that woman who was his first kill wasn;t carrying a grenade after all? That's HIS word.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

Original thread bumpo

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

[quote]what if that woman who was his first kill wasn;t carrying a grenade after all? That's HIS word.

The confirmation process is only about matching bullets with rifles, not verifying the story behind the kill.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

Pity, the guy shot was really hot

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

Kyle's autobiography was unapologetically politically incorrect: During one visit home between deployments, he got a tattoo of a crusader cross on his arm.

"I wanted everyone to know I was a Christian," Kyle wrote. "I had it put in in red, for blood. I hated the damn savages I'd been fighting. I always will. They've taken so much from me."

Kyle won adulation and a spotlight and appeared on the NBC reality show "Stars Earn Stripes," in which "celebrities are challenged to execute complicated missions inspired by real military exercises."

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

A recent sampling of 1,388 Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans by the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Medicine reported that one-third had shown aggression toward others in the last year, with 11% reporting they'd used or threatened to use a knife or gun against another person, gotten into a fight or tried to rape someone.

PTSD, homelessness, substance abuse and joblessness were listed as risk factors.

In Kyle's book, he hinted at the struggles he faced when combat slowed down: mentally replaying the times he'd been shot, brooding over his mortality, which he pushed away during combat. He said doctors put him on drugs to help him cope with the psychological stress he faced after his fighting days were over.

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

"When I die, God is going to hold me accountable for everything I've done on earth," Kyle wrote at the close of his book, adding: "But in that backroom or whatever it is when God confronts me with my sins, I do not believe any of the kills I had during the war will be among them. Everyone I shot was evil. I had good cause on every shot. They all deserved to die."

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

From comments:

"I hope we find out soon if Routh was taking Psychiatric drugs, almost all incidents of gun violence were related to psychiatric drugs, some veterans are given several drugs to treat PTSD, such as Thorazine, Nembutal, Seconal, Veronal, and Phenergam, we should know how many pharmaceutical psychiatric drugs was he on, and who was his handler or psychiatrist, very tragic and sad."

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

I have a great idea! Let's take people with mental illness, give them guns, and take them to the gun range! It will be so therapeutic for them! We can charge them $100 per session!

by Anonymousreply 3702/04/2013

[quote]For his deadly track record as a marksman during his deployment to Ramadi, the insurgents named him Shaitan Ar-Ramadi (English The Devil of Ramadi)

Don't believe this for a second. I smell another Jessica Lynch/Pat Tillman fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 3802/04/2013

[quote] Thorazine, Nembutal, Seconal, Veronal, and Phenergam,

Gad, this freeper's knowledge of psychiatric pharmaceuticals begins and ends with a 1960's addicted housewife's medicine cabinet. Much like his/her social mores are grounded in the '50s and '60s.

by Anonymousreply 3902/04/2013

So in an effort to help an ex-soldier out with his PTSD they take him to a .....shooting range????

What a dumb fucker this Kyle guy was. They may have had better luck with a therapist.

by Anonymousreply 4002/04/2013

So true R39. Do they even make Nembutal anymore?

by Anonymousreply 4102/04/2013

Yes they took so much from you Kyle and now your comrade in arms has taken so much from you - your life. Dumbass! And what is with the whole Christian crap, like taking some innocent life is okay if you are a Christian. These people are seriously fucked up and mental.

by Anonymousreply 4202/04/2013

It wasn't a grenade!!

by Anonymousreply 4302/04/2013

Admittedly Kyle had a wife and two children.

But no one is saying anything about the guy who was killed with him, Chad Littlefield, other than he was "Mr. Kyle's friend."

So far I've read stories sourced from a few different reporters - they all use the exact same phrase - without elaboration.

by Anonymousreply 4402/04/2013

Very fishy. No details. What really happened?

by Anonymousreply 4502/04/2013

[quote]Very fishy. No details. What really happened?

Can't know -- all the witnesses are dead except the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 4602/04/2013

The quote at R35 is creepy; this Kyle dud was loathsome.

by Anonymousreply 4702/04/2013

"They all deserved to die."

Talk about making yourself feel better.

by Anonymousreply 4802/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2013

Hey, r39, he forgot to add Miltownes to his list of dangerous drugs!

by Anonymousreply 5002/04/2013

Well Ron Paul just had to go stir the pot:

[quote]“Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’ Treating PTSD at a firing range doesn’t make sense.”

by Anonymousreply 5102/04/2013

From Channel 5 News: Littlefield, 35, was Kyle's friend, neighbor and "workout buddy," and also volunteered his time to work with veterans, Cox said.

by Anonymousreply 5202/04/2013

February 4, 2013, 5:05 p.m.

The Iraq veteran accused of killing a Navy SEAL sniper and another man at a Texas gun range had been treated for mental illness and confessed about the slayings to his sister, police said Monday.

Chris Kyle, 38, a former Navy SEAL and author of "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History," and a friend, Chad Littlefield, 35, were found dead with multiple gunshot wounds at a secluded gun range at the Rough Creek Lodge southwest of Fort Worth.

There were multiple semiautomatic rifles, handguns and revolvers at the range, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by WFAA-TV. The man suspected of killing Kyle and Littlefield, 25-year-old Marine veteran Eddie Ray Routh, was gone, along with the semiautomatic handgun he'd likely used in the slayings, police said.

But he didn't get far. His sister, Laura Blevins, called the Midlothian Police Department to report that Routh had come by her and her husband's home and confessed to killing Kyle and Littlefield, according to the affidavit.

He had a big black truck they'd never seen before, and he "told the Blevinses that he had 'traded his soul for a new truck' " before he drove away, headed for Oklahoma to avoid Texas police, according to the affidavit.

Routh had been hospitalized in September for “threatening to kill himself and his family,” according to a Lancaster, Texas, police report obtained by the Dallas Morning News. In that incident, police said they'd found him shoeless and smelling of booze when he told them "he was hurting and that his family does not understand what he has been through."

"Police spoke with Routh’s mother, Jodi, who told police that he had been drinking and that he had become upset when his father said he was going to sell his gun," the Morning News reported.

On Jan. 19, police took Routh to another mental hospital after a North Dallas woman called police saying she feared for Routh's safety, the Morning News reported.

Kyle took veterans to gun ranges as part of his own style of therapy -- to some, controversial. At a Sunday news conference, Erath County Sheriff Tommy Bryant said Routh's mother, a schoolteacher, may have reached out to Kyle to get help for her son.

Investigators have said that they don't know what Routh's motives might have been. He reportedly became violent with jailers on Sunday evening, and he was shocked with a stun gun, strapped to a chair and put on suicide watch, officials said.

In his book, Kyle wrote that gun-range therapy was meant to be easygoing and fun, with teasing, jokes and bonding over beers and stories.

"What wounded veterans don’t need is sympathy," Kyle wrote. "They need to be treated like the men they are: equals, heroes, and people who still have tremendous value for society. If you want to help them, start there. In a funny way, bustin’ back and forth shows more respect than asking 'Are you OK?' in a sickly sweet voice."

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2013

Both Kyle and Routh are/were hot.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2013

This guy was a killer, in a sense. I can't feel that sorry for him.

by Anonymousreply 5502/05/2013

He sounds like a deeply decent man who did the job we asked of him extraordinarily well, and then went on to help those of his brothers who were damaged during our wars. You should live so well. Shame on you who imply otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 5602/05/2013

He enjoyed his job a little too much, R56, and his "Christian" ardor by which he rationalized his behavior is every bit as repulsive as the Muslim fanatics he purportedly hated so much.

Shame on you for being such a fucking tool.

by Anonymousreply 5702/05/2013

He also claimed, in his book, to have punched Jesse Ventura for making an unpatriotic remark, which Ventura disputed, and was suing him for. Sounds like a typical freeper douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 5802/05/2013

I have a fetish for macho rednecks too r54, but Kyle wasn't hot just because he liked to pose with his riffles in camouflage gear. He was pudgy and ordinary looking. And Routh, please, he's a skinny nerd. You have really low standards for "hot."

by Anonymousreply 5902/05/2013

With PTSD, a feeling of safety (or its lack) is the key trigger. I noticed Kyle brought his friend along, and maybe Routh felt outnumbered or cornered. Not that they were actually a threat in any way -- he just might have felt they were and it set him off.

by Anonymousreply 6002/05/2013

I can't believe Americans praise this murderer. He called the Iraqis savages and that they deserved to die. How would you like it if somebody illegally invaded your country and wrote a book flaunting your pillage and destruction?

by Anonymousreply 6102/05/2013

SOME Americans, r61.

The same ones who believe gays are immoral and who voted for Mitt Romney.

by Anonymousreply 6202/05/2013

[quote]“Chris Kyle’s death seems to confirm that ‘he who lives by the sword dies by the sword.’

I think Ron Paul has a point.

by Anonymousreply 6302/05/2013

[quote] the insurgents named him Shaitan Ar-Ramadi (English The Devil of Ramadi), and put a $20,000 bounty on his head that was later increased to $80,000.[3][4][8]

Does anyone wonder if the killing had something to do with the bounty allegedly placed on him? It's shortly after the publication of his book and Kyle seemed rather open in his conduct and was easy to find. If someone wanted to get to Routh, who was troubled to begin with and pretended to understand him and gained his confidence, who knows, he might be convinced to carry out an assassination. How hard could it be to get an unhinged Routh to cooperate?

by Anonymousreply 6402/05/2013

yes, one time I agree with Ron Paul/

by Anonymousreply 6502/05/2013

Me too, R66. The idea that one can further one's Christian beliefs by shooting people dead is abhorrent. Christians are supposed to love their enemies and forgive them their sins. The "He who lives by the sword" quote comes from the Book of Revelation and is utterly appropriate here.

by Anonymousreply 6602/05/2013

Does anyone know why they aren't releasing details?

by Anonymousreply 6702/05/2013

ADD media is too preoccupied with L. A.

by Anonymousreply 6802/07/2013

[quote] Kyle took veterans to gun ranges as part of his own style of therapy -- to some, controversial

Not controversial at all. More like ignorant and just plain fucking stupid. Either way, it thinned the herd

by Anonymousreply 6902/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!