Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

History Channel's "Bible" Series Expected To Convert Millions

An extended look at The History Channel's upcoming "Bible" series has been released on Friday. The 4-minute clip reveals powerful scenes involving the Bible's most beloved figures during gut-wrenching Biblical events.

As previously announced, the "Bible" will debut on The History Channel on March 3. Married couple Mark Burnett and Roma Downey created the epic 10-part miniseries, which will bridge the Old Testament with the New Testament, or as Burnett said, "from Genesis to Revelation" with several in-depth portrayals of Bible stories.

Burnett, who created the television series "Survivor," explained that the series is "a great story that happens to be our faith" while speaking to The Christian Post. "'The Bible' is going to be seen by millions of people, and it looks like a $100 million feature film," added the creator of "The Apprentice." Meanwhile, Downey, best known for her role on "Touched by an Angel," explained that she and her husband conceived the idea for the series on Scripture three years ago. "I've loved Jesus all my life," said Downey speaking to CP. "It's a passion project for Mark and myself."

The Christian Post was able to preview segments of "The Bible" last month, and Burnett and Downey revealed a colorful, captivating take on some of the most important stories in the Christian religion. While sometimes violent, "The Bible" offers visually enchanting depictions of well-known and beloved Biblical characters. Noah's Ark, the Exodus, Abraham, and the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ are among the Bible stories covered in the highly anticipated television series. The series sees stars such as "Game of Thrones" actors Sean Bean and Nonso Anozie, while Roma Downey herself portrays Mary, the mother of Jesus. Following its March 3 premiere, remaining episodes of "The Bible" will air each Sunday with the finale arriving on Easter Sunday, March 31.

by Anonymousreply 9403/18/2013

Will it have Michael Parks as the naked Adam? Yum.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

Roma Downey the hottest woman ever on OLTL and the greatest export of Northern Ireland, next to Liam Neeson that is. She played an angel on Tv and now she thinks she is one!Her brother is a Catholic priest but Della Reese officiated her marriage to her first, depressed hubby.As soon as I saw Mark's name I flinched.Is he going to place most of these stories on an Island away from civilization with a competition included for good measure too?

Are they going to depict Adam and Steve in the nude as they first appeared? I can't wait for that.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

*holds flashlight under chin, immitating Rona's lilting speach*

"I'm an angel sent frrrrom the Lairrrrd and he wonts ye to knooo yer an asshole and you'll burrrrn in hell."

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

It won't convert anyone...

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

They do need to depict the angry god ordering the unborn babies to be cut out of women (abortion) and the virgins in the village to be raped.

Show the sick ugly stuff.

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

R4, it will go on heavy rotation at every mega-church in the US even if it sucks.

The first CON installment, "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" had my lard-ass cousin in fits as he tried to explain to adults that Jesus was Aslan. He tried selling the DVDs to family members at a Christmas gathering.

He wasn't tortured with parochial school, so reading CS Lewis is new to him.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

Links to a Jesus web site. Thanks OP/frau.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Looks awful. Downey's perfect teeth (and her age) make her look ridiculous as Mary. The acting in general looks mediocre.

Some of the battle scenes look good, but the flame effects look very cheap. Doesn't look much more expensive than the dramatised scenes inserted into many History Channel documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

What part of "Expected To Convert Millions" mislead you, R7?

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

There's a great scene where Adam is being chased by a dinosaur and falls down a big hole in the Earth. When he regains his bearings, he looks just like Pat Boone.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

I guess this explains why Mark Burnett keeps putting Fundamentalists on SURVIVOR.

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

It's on the History channel, wedged in between Hitler biographies and American Pickers. Nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

As America's Best Christian said, the "History" channel either needs to not feature a miniseries based on fictitious fables -- or it needs to change its name.

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

Fuck me with a well-nailed crucifix. I'm going to be converted because it looks like a "$100 million movie."

Yeehaw.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Oh yeah. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Moooommmmmyyyyyyy!

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

Michael Parks ass needs to be worked over.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

Well, people in basements believe Star Trek and Star Wars are true, so there is no harm in this.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

They need to change the name from History channel to Christian Fundie channel. Do you remmeber the show with the fairly good looking guy (Josh?)who went around trying to find the proof for the Bible?

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

Wasn't Mark Burnett married before to another woman who died who helped him start the Real World series on MTV? And that kicked off every single reality program?

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

It won't be converting me, because: 1. I won't be watching it and 2) It is Jewish mythology, much like Roman and Greek mythology. Even if you do believe in a supreme being, it has nothing to do with this. There were a lot of books left out of the "final edition" and one of them in Genesis talks about Adam's first wife, Lilith, who left the Garden of Eden on her own volition, because she would not be subservient to him. So I guess she was the first feminist. They are stories, period.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

it's fine that they run some propaganda as long as they balance it with the bible unearthed....

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

Yawn. Another northern European Jesus. Why can't they cast a hot Israeli with a bubble butt as Jesus? Like Matan Shalev. It would be both historically accurate and so much sexier.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

Why has the History Channel gone to hell?

Even a few years ago they had programs about, well, history, and now it's all conspiracy theory stuff and bible crap. Did the wingnuts buy it or something?

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

What about shows for us who worship fire? I feel completely left out and discriminated against.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

What is more interesting is if you look at the time periods between the Pentateuch and the rest to collectively become the Old Testament.

Then there's the rise of the New Testament that took over 300 years.

So a lot of very deep thought but no real god or christ.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

expected by whom, OP? You?

Because the link offers nothing from anyone re: an intention or expectation of conversion.

Are you the same OP who is constantly headlining posts with a thesis which is not born out by the provided link?

Because it's really fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2013

R19 It was Phillip not Lillith! Then Adam and Steve became an item......

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013

Why are you str8 frau Jesus freaks so drawn to this gay chat board OP? Just because your husband prefers men to your nasty cunt doesn't mean you have to punish us with your vile presence.

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2013

I love Jesus. I have just the thing for this show.

by Anonymousreply 2802/03/2013

[quote]I never understood the blanket Christian hate here on DL.

Cram it, churchy.

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2013

r29, it's primarily Christian groups bringing new brands of stupidity into public discourse. The hypocrisy is intensified when you consider how wealthy so many of the evangelists and bigots are. At least with Muslims, there isn't such a hoarding of wealth and shit-stirring of the poor by the rich to obtain more wealth.

You can't really separate the faith from followers whenever so many of the denominations DO preach what amounts to bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2013

[quote] Burnett, who created the television series "Survivor

Wasn't the Survivor series created in Europe? He stole someone else's idea, he didn't create the series.

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2013

The format for Survivor was created in 1992 by British television producer Charlie Parsons.

Mark Burnett did not "create" Survivor.

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2013

"There's such a nasty generalization and hate for Christianity here yet I barely ever ready anything condemning Islam. Not that it should be. It's just that Christianity seems to be singled out with this particular level of DL hate."

Christians are leading the anti-gay movement in the english-speaking world. And the anti-woman fight, which gives everone at the Datalounge excellent reasons to despise them.

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2013

[quote]Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34, Luke 12:51-53

Christians are just doing what their religion tells them to do - spread violence and war.

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2013

I think a lot will watch it for the SPECIAL EFFECTS, such as Noah's ark. The stories in the bible certainly are special effects worthy. Hope they do a good job. I'll watch it, but I'm not a big religious fanatic at all. Look at how the bible treated gays. I'm very leery of religious freaks. I think they're a bit mental in their obsession. Scary types.

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2013

Because Islam is the latest update, R29. We're not knocking your beliefs, just the fact that you're still walking around with the spiritual iPhone 4 when there's a newer model. Although it still contains many of the glitches of earlier versions, you should consider updating.

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2013

[quote] Because Islam is the latest update

Hardly. Just a new arrangement of the same basic tune.

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2013

All this religious stuff is getting pretty thick. On the Iron Chef America they had holy water as the Secret ingredient. They made all those St. such and such dishes and used the burnt stuff for ashes on their forehead. I was half expecting to fallen priest doing dishes as penance for all the alter boys they devoured.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013

are they going to show that Abraham's wife was his half sister and the other concubine his cousin with whom he had children with? And also that he prostituted his wife,and denied having any link with her because he didn't want to get killed? those are the thing they should be talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4102/04/2013

Who "expects" it to convert millions? It won't. The only people who will watch it will either be xtians already or people who take a scholarly view of it for historical purposes.

by Anonymousreply 4202/04/2013

That's hilarious. When has the history channel ever been watched by "millions"?

by Anonymousreply 4302/04/2013

Convert whom?

by Anonymousreply 4402/04/2013

I want to see angles.

by Anonymousreply 4502/04/2013

"The Bible" belongs on a religious channel, not the History Channel. Unfortunately, "The Bible" did well in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 4603/05/2013

Mark Burnett is a Jesus freak?!

by Anonymousreply 4703/05/2013

I loved it!!!

I laughed more than I have at Community this season, that's for sure!

by Anonymousreply 4803/05/2013

Fuck that bible, fuck it right in the vagina.

by Anonymousreply 4903/05/2013

We will need to order up more crosses and lions then.

by Anonymousreply 5003/05/2013

R29 Christianity is beautiful. Christians, for the most part, are vile, bigoted, backward, anti-logic hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 5103/05/2013

Christianity is not beautiful. It is horseshit. Obviously you have not read the Bible R51.

by Anonymousreply 5203/05/2013

What r21 said. Everytime you see Jesus portrayed in a movie/tv show or those paintings of Jesus the fundies love and have in their homes, he's always a pale, WASPY white guy. It's completely historically inaccurate - Jesus most definitely would have looked Middle Eastern. But don't tell the fundies that, because they refuse to believe it.

by Anonymousreply 5303/05/2013

Watched some of it last night for shits and giggles. ATROCIOUS!!! The editing was horrible, the acting pathetic, the pace maddeningly slow. Whomever it might "convert", the secular world does't want nor need.

by Anonymousreply 5403/05/2013

OP's source is the "Christian Post" (whatever that is) so I suspect they might be a wee bit biased in their "convert millions" claim.

by Anonymousreply 5703/05/2013

Watching the Damson and Delilah segment, I didn't know Samson was black. Can someone confirm that? I remember Victor Mature playing him.

by Anonymousreply 5803/10/2013

[quote]Watching the Damson and Delilah segment

You should see the Dawson and Delilah segment. They really give each other a run for their money.

by Anonymousreply 5903/10/2013

Hey, George Lucas made millions of believers out of Star Wars.

Hubbard made millions of believers out of Scientology.

It could happen.

And that sucks.

by Anonymousreply 6003/10/2013

Now how the hell would they know it will convert millions?

by Anonymousreply 6103/11/2013

I just flipped it on because of this thread. Apparently, Samson was black and Delilah cut his dreadlocks.

I just spit out my tea.

by Anonymousreply 6203/11/2013

It's strange that the stories shown so far about the Jews don't seem to have any Jews in them. Samson is played by a black actor, for example.

by Anonymousreply 6303/11/2013

I just can’t believe people are fooled by this overly sentimental, anti-historical, cartoonish, ad-hoc, hagiographical pile of swill served up to us as some sort of seminal event. It is horrible. Monty Python’s Life of Brian had more historical veracity and verisimiltude in presenting characters of that era. It’s horrible for people of the faith because it just makes the stories look flat and lacking depth – and equally disturbing to people who don’t revere Jewish mythology over any other because this presentation doesn’t do anything to flatter it whatsoever. We’re given the creation monologue about how God created Man with free-will even as he murders the entire human race with a flood for not liking him enough. Then in the first hour we watch as Abraham is asked to murder his little boy in some show of fealty – Sodom is destroyed by Ninja Assassins for being well… not of the right tribe, and Egyptians babies are killed en mass because of the ‘sins’ of their leader. Putting all this into cute pseudo-costume drama and English/Scottish accents doesn’t cleanse it of it’s rampant tribalism and ethnic cleansing genocide. How the ‘pro-life’ set can huddle together and watch this as family entertainment with popcorn in their churches is just beyond me. No amount of CGI will help these murderous stories.

by Anonymousreply 6403/11/2013

[quote]Roma Downey the hottest woman ever on OLTL and the greatest export of Northern Ireland

Greatest export of N. Ireland my ass. She's a fundie, which you know most likely means anti-gay. I was just flipping through the channels to night and she was on TBN (that stupid Christian channel) with her husband along with Joel Osteen and his wife talking about this dumb movie.

And she looks old now too.

by Anonymousreply 6503/11/2013

For consultants, Burnett turned to Focus on the Family and Rick Warren, major homophobes. He couldn't have consulted with mainstream protestant churches??

by Anonymousreply 6603/11/2013

R64, tl;dr.

Adam: hot.

The two scouts Joshua sends into Jericho: hot.

Jonathan: hot.

David: hot.

Angels: Caucasian, black, and Asian.

Samson: black. Black?!

Nice try, but too much creative license. They should've used a Middle Eastern cast. Lots of hot men in those parts.

by Anonymousreply 6703/11/2013

Burnett and Downey became close personal friends with the Focus on the Family guy. Isn't that charming?

by Anonymousreply 6803/11/2013

R68 I didn't watch his shows before and now I'll definitely make sure to never watch them.

by Anonymousreply 6903/11/2013

The other interesting thing...there was an article in the Times this week about how the head of FOF is toning down his rhetoric to be more media friendly. Clearly Burnett is helping him polish up FOF's image, which is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 7003/11/2013

So why isn't this tripe on the SciFi channel?

by Anonymousreply 7103/11/2013

There will be plenty of violence, I'm sure...

Nudity? Noooooooooooo - cos that might be corrupting.

by Anonymousreply 7203/11/2013

We have standards, R71.

by Anonymousreply 7303/11/2013

I missed the part where David and Jonathan got naked and promised their love to each other.

I also missed the part where Lot's daughters got their Dad drunk so he would fuck them.

Did they show Onan spilling his seed?

by Anonymousreply 7403/18/2013

Downey isn't a fundie, she's Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 7503/18/2013

HATEFUL BASTARD FUCKER ASSHOLES: may they burn in HELL for all eternity.

by Anonymousreply 7603/18/2013

Nice, huh, R76? I saw this this morning and of course idiots were like, I don't see any resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 7703/18/2013

The backlash from this should be the ruin of their careers. Naturally the moronic would claim there was no resemblance.

If it looked like Chimp Bush they'd be screeching to the mountaintops for YEARS.

by Anonymousreply 7803/18/2013

That's it. We're putting the head of George W. Bush back up on the spike.

by Anonymousreply 7903/18/2013

r79, you beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 8003/18/2013

"Folks are saying it’s no coincidence that the actor who plays the devil, Mohamen Mehdi Ouazanni, bears a startling resemblance to President Barack Obama."

We knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 8103/18/2013

Is the Devil actor the same guy Donald Trump used for his 'you are fired, Obama!' clip he wanted to use at some Republican convenction before the presidential election?

by Anonymousreply 8203/18/2013

My brother sent me that photo (not the split pic with Obama, just the guy from THE BIBLE) this morning and asked me to guess what it was. My response was that it was some sort of photoshopped Republican bullshit where they made Obama look like Emperor Palpatine for one of their stupid CPAC videos.

Turns out I wasn't that far off base.

And really, I guess the point is that without any prompting, I knew that was supposed to be Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8303/18/2013

Downy and her husband were on Sunday Morning on CBS this past week, plugging this dreck.

She looks like she shares a plastic surgeon with their good friend Sarah Palin. It was eerie how much they now look alike.

Roma denied that the inspiration for the series was her work. She let us know it was strictly from God himself. I guess she was the vessel.

She had no intention of being in the series at all, but then after they looked and looked and auditioned and auditioned hundreds of actresses for the part, it was Roma to the rescue. She reluctantly agreed to step into the role and the day was saved! Whew.

by Anonymousreply 8403/18/2013

The similarity was first publicized by none other than noted Obama denouncer Glenn Beck. The commentator, who refuses to refer to the president by name, tweeted Saturday: "Anyone else think the Devil in #TheBible Sunday on History Channel looks exactly like That Guy?"

The Bible is produced by husband-and-wife team Mark Burnett and Roma Downey, both of whom appeared on Beck's cable show earlier this year. Burnett, however, also donated to Obama's presidential campaign in 2008, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Burnett and Downey also released a statement saying they have "nothing but respect and love" for Obama, "a fellow Christian."

"This is utter nonsense," their statement reads. "The actor who played Satan, Mehdi Ouzaani, is a highly acclaimed Moroccan actor. He has previously played parts in several Biblical epics— including Satanic characters long before Barack Obama was elected as our President."

by Anonymousreply 8503/18/2013

The execute producer of the miniseries was just fired from his job as an executive at Hearst after he was caught in a texting scandal with a stripper.

by Anonymousreply 8603/18/2013

So, not only do fundies get to enjoy a Satan who looks like Obama, the name of the actor playing Satan might reinvigorate the Obama-is-a-secret-Muslim claim.

by Anonymousreply 8703/18/2013

Mark Burnett is Barbra Streisand's Malibu neighbor. Supposedly they're friends and are guests at each other's homes.

by Anonymousreply 8803/18/2013

It's win-win!

by Anonymousreply 8903/18/2013

Please read their statement at R85

by Anonymousreply 9003/18/2013

Does BS(Streisand) go on about how fabulous Roma looks.BS was always fugly but Roma is slowly turning into Joan Rivers with a Northern Irish accent!

by Anonymousreply 9103/18/2013

I actually watched this. I happen to like Biblical history. I love when THC has biblical scholars talking about what it all maens. Hell, I'll watch King of Kings and Ben Hur anytime and anywhere.

That being said, this seemed like such propaganda. I was born Catholic and have a certain reverence for the Church but I don't like being hit over the head with all this. The F/x were quite good. I was taken aback with the Christian Mingle (or whatever it's called) commercials. If one is going to make an extended series/movie about the Bible, for goodness' sake don't skip 500 years into the future! We saw all about David and see his son Solomon but we don't get to see said son's story.

by Anonymousreply 9203/18/2013

The costumes and hair from the time of Jesus are horribly inaccurate. They obviously used the old image of Jesus, called Surfer Jesus, as their model. Zeffirelli did the most accurate version, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 9303/18/2013

Apparently duck lips were in fashion back then too...

I haven't seen her since watching "Touched..." many years ago. I googled her name and would never have recognized her had I not known it was her.

by Anonymousreply 9403/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.