Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Death Certificates

I'm planning my funeral. How many death certificates be ordered? I know Social Security needs one, but are they needed for banks and charge card?

by Anonymousreply 2709/22/2014

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

Figure on 15 if you be owning stuff.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

If you're pre-filling the info on the death certificates, leave the cause of death open and tell us your location. We want to surprise you with something special.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

A death certificate has to excist before you can order it.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

You may prepay, R4.

OP, are you going for a viewing where they pump you full of formaldehyde or are you going to be incinerated with just a box on display?

Will you have the $350 casket spray or will you go with plants?

If you're buried, are you going with the top-of-the-line crypt that preserves your rotting corpse for years or are you getting a cheap spray-painted liner?

Have you considered professional mourners? Queens throwing shade? Clowns who tell riddles?

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

Re: Death Certificates

-Need one for each bank there is an account -Insurance Policies =For Each Property owned -Social Security

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

"A death certificate has to excist"

When would it have cisted?

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Get one original. Every place I had to deal with accepted a faxed copy. Also if you go through a funeral company, and pay the high price, they will do a lot of this verification for you.

Both my parents died in the last year so trust me.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

Oh, and Social Security won't need one. When you die your name goes into a "computer" and SS finds out pretty quickly. My father died the day before his next monthly check was to be direct deposited. The deposit made it into his account but two days later was revoked.

Now that I'm thinking about it, every financial or other business entity my parents had dealings with contacted us first and never needed a death certificate.

In one instance I closed out my mother's bank account by simply writing a letter. They mailed me a check with the remaining balance.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

R8 is correct; most places will accept a faxed copy. But I would get half a dozen to be on the safe side. My dad died a few years ago and had preordered ten. We had most left over. Both of my sisters and mom took one to have on the safe side.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

Bank(s)

Secretary of State - vehicle

Pension - (HAH!) death benefit

VA - burial

Lawyer

Trust Officer

Credit Card(s)

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

How can I get my Dad's death certificate? I need to send it to the life insurance company that held his policy. I'm having a dispute with the Trustee of his estate who refuses to give me my money from the life insurance policy. The life insurance company told me I need to forward to them a copy of my Dad's death certificate and a court order and they will send me all the information about the policy. Is there any online source where I can obtain it?

I also need to get a copy of my mother's death certificate for exactly the same reason that I stated above for my father's.

by Anonymousreply 1206/24/2014

Help!

by Anonymousreply 1309/22/2014

One for each bank and credit card company.

by Anonymousreply 1409/22/2014

R12 murdered his parents for the insurance money.

by Anonymousreply 1509/22/2014

If you own stocks directly, each company would need one. Or per brokerage account or a Treasury Direct account.

by Anonymousreply 1609/22/2014

Most places accept copies of the original, OP. Save your money.

by Anonymousreply 1709/22/2014

r15 You're an ass! The Trustee stole a million dollars from the policy that was to go to my siblings and myself. A month ago in court documents, he admitted I was the rightful beneficiary.

by Anonymousreply 1809/22/2014

My husband died in April, and NO institution or company accepted "a faxed copy." Indeed, the death certificate itself states that copies are not to be made. I used originals for banks, insurance companies, anywhere else monies or assets had to be put in my name only, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1909/22/2014

OP, it has to be asked...can I have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2009/22/2014

r12, contact the Health Department in the city where he died.

by Anonymousreply 2109/22/2014

NYC charges $15 for each certificate. I prepaid through the funeral home.

by Anonymousreply 2209/22/2014

R12, you buy them from city or town hall for about $10 each. It may be different where you are, but you can start there or call any funeral home and ask where you get them.

I've been an executor and had a parent die. In both cases no institution or company required an original. Perhaps that state specific.

by Anonymousreply 2309/22/2014

Thanks r23. I don't think I need it now that the Trustee admitted my beneficiary status.

by Anonymousreply 2409/22/2014

I only needed two official ones. The rest you could fax. I drained my mum's account the day she died. SS sent her estate a letter, she had nothing...HA HA HA

by Anonymousreply 2509/22/2014

Very few places require an original anymore. I've dealt with three deaths in my family (mother, father, sister) and ordered ten each time, but I've never used them all up. The most I needed was for my father, but that was over 20 years ago, and things have changed with respect to copy v. original requirements.

by Anonymousreply 2609/22/2014

Everyone accepted a copy of my Mom's cert. Buying more than one is a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 2709/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.