Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ben Affleck Wins DGA Award

What does this mean for the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2013

ARGO has Best Picture in the bag now. It'll be the first movie since DRIVING MISS DAISY to win without a Best Director nomination.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Michael Haneke will surprise everyone and win the Oscar for Best Director.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

I think the stupid Academy are now too embarrassed to give it to one of the other locals now. Just give to the guy with the foreign movie.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

I'm confused about who nominates for this category. All Academy members or just those who direct?.

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

DGA almost always wins the Director Oscar but since Ben is not nominated, Best Picture is in the bag. This was a huge oversight for the Academy. Spielberg will get the Oscar and Argo Best Picture

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

Argo should not win another single thing. Fucking CIA piece of crap.

I hope the Oscars tells Argo to go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Ben's snub is as big a travesty as Crash winning Best Pic. Not much changes with the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

There's nothing special about Affleck's direction, so it is not a travesty. Do you really think he is a better director than Ang Lee, Michael Haneke, Kathryn Bigelow (whose work is truly one of the best of the year, unlike Affleck's), etc.? Argo is a well made Hollywood movie, entertaining, but hardly the best of the year, and not the best of than bunch.

I can't understand how Hathaway is getting hate when Affleck, an oscar winner, is acting like a spoiled child. The directors branch showed some taste for once and didn't act like sheep and now everybody thinks they are monsters. It will probably be the last time they'll have inspired noms like Zeitlin and Haneke, and that's ridiculous.

Argo will win and Affleck will become a 2-time oscar winner out of pity. So will George Clooney, but he knows about that, his first undeserved win just happened because he wasn't winning director or screenplay that night.

Spielberg could win but since the industry is not behind Lincoln I could see Lee or Haneke winning. Spielberg is not nominated for the Bafta so the director that wins there (my guess is Haneke, Lee has like 3 of those) will be the big spoiler on oscar night.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

In the Director's Guild, all Directors in Hollywood, Movies, TV, Commercials participate. The Oscars nominations are voted by branch, actors nominate actors, director nominate Director. Directors only make up 7% of the Academy and they snubbed Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

Fuck off, ignorant asshole at R11. I wasn't pretending to talk to anyone. I was making sure to get my point across.

Unlike you, I care about telling the truth about JFK and the vile organization that killed him.

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

This Argo momentum sure seems like a way to placate Ben Affleck. God forbid a straight, white male in Hollywood be denied anything they feel entitled to.

Look, I loved Argo. I thought it was well acted, intense, and fast paced.

But for it to win best picture over a true work of art like Life of Pi, or a work of excellent filmmaking like Zero Dark Thirty is just absurd and one of the many, many reasons why the Oscars are losing relevance.

And I can't believe the directors branch are getting flack for making inspired choices, in practically the only category where there WERE any inspired choices this year.

I mean did you all see the supporting actor category? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

History will be scratching it's head over this one. Argo is a thriller. It's no masterpiece and Ben Affleck is no genius director. I'm so glad he can't win the Oscar for this forgettable movie.

He's been acting like a entitled crybaby over his snub and it's working. It's so gross.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

I agree, R13. It's disgusting that they're giving all these awards to Affleck. I hope the Oscars makes sure that Lincoln wins Best Picture, as well as most of the other awards and slaps Affleck down.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

Forget the fact that Argo portrays the CIA in a positive light. Hollywood loves Argo because it portrays Hollywood folks as the heroes - Arkin's fictional producer and Goodman's real-life make-up designer are instrumental in the planning of the caper.

Hollywood loves movies about Hollywood - as evidenced in last year's win for The Artist.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

Ben Aflleck is an American version of Sam Mendes. Both need exceptional cinematographers and editors to make them look better than what they really are. They, also, need a very good script to work with, as they are not talented enough to elevate a script with their directing skills. Give them a moderately good script and they'll make mediocre film.

They are competent directors, but there is really nothing special about their work.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

It means Ben gave better head to DGA vote counter than he did to Oscar nomination committee.

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

[quote]But for it to win best picture over a true work of art like Life of Pi

With the exception of the kid in a boat surrounded by a green screen, The Life of Pi is a cartoon. It should be in Best Animation category if at all. It's not directed by Lee, but by the animators.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

I wish everyone would stop pissing all over the Best Supporting Actor Category. My future husband Philip Seymour Hoffman gave a riveting performance in THE MASTER and should easily bag Oscar #2. And don't hand me that shit about how the film didn'take any money. The Oscars aren't about box office, esp the acting ones. Having siad that I have a creepy feeling that De Niro is going to win. Hopefully it will be a wake up call to him to quit phoning in performances just for the check.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

[quote]I'm confused about who nominates for this category. All Academy members or just those who direct?.

For the Oscars, actors nominate actors, directors nominate directors, composers/songwriters nominate the songs, and so on. But they all vote for the eventual winners in each category.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

Weird that DGA rewarded Affleck, yet the directors within the Academy, who are also DGA members, did not.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

All this Ben Affleck sentiment reminds me of what happened in 1999 with all the Roberto Begnini sentiment. Two artists, though talented, winning over more deserving nominees for the business of show (Roberto's chair climbing/Ben's shock and awe). Well, that's show biz.

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2013

Argo is not winning BP at the Oscars, trust me on this one!

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013

People analyze nominations and awards like these entities called "the academy" and "the guild" are a small group of people who sit in a room and say "let's do this to make up for this from last year", or "let's give it to him because he didn't get this" or "we need to give best picture to this because we didn't nominate this for that".

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2013

R4, Which version of Argo did you see? IMHO it made the CIA and US governmental bureaucracy appear to be the ultimate buffoons, and the Canadians caring, self-deprecating heroes.

by Anonymousreply 2802/03/2013

Argo is not winning anything at the Oscars. Lincoln will win.

by Anonymousreply 2902/03/2013

[quote]I wish everyone would stop pissing all over the Best Supporting Actor Category. My future husband Philip Seymour Hoffman gave a riveting performance in THE MASTER and should easily bag Oscar #2.

Tommy Lee Jones was the only reason audiences didn't fall asleep in "Lincoln". Even one of the Oscar pundits on some talk show said, he heard Members were falling asleep watching the screeners. "Lincoln" the most over praised film of the year. It's Tomnmy Lee's.

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2013

I love how so many of you twats fashion yourselves into movie critics around this time of year. Shut the fuck up. Popcorn twats.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2013

Totally agree with first paragraph of R9 post!

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2013

[quote]I've said it before, I'll say it again: Michael Haneke will surprise everyone and win the Oscar for Best Director.

No, Cassandra! You dare not reveal the forbidden future!

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2013

I have thought Ben Affleck was a tool for years and years, and I thought Argo was fantastic. It wouldn't be an enormous stretch for it to win Best Picture, to me. It's well made and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 3402/03/2013

It's funny how the Oscars [italic]don't[/italic] give Best Picture so much anymore to big, stately, moralizing pictures like "Lincoln." back in the 1980s the directing/acting pedigree behind "Lincoln," plus its subject matter, would have guaranteed "best icture." Now there's a backlash against "boring" movies and it's struggling against its own weightiness.

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2013

Jesus H. Christ R4. We get it! You're anti-American, anti-CIA, etc.

Go the fuck away already and let people talk about this absurd Hollywood awards shit.

Start your own thread if you insist on making a nuisance of yourself in every thread which mentions a particular film.

Oh, and take your mother fucking meds Mary.

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2013

Amen R36.

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2013

R18 is HILARIOUS!

He says Affleck needs an exceptional cinematographer and editor and an excellent script to make a good movie -- as if EVERY OTHER FUCKING DIRECTOR doesn't need the same to make a great movie.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2013

I disagree, r38. You're right that you need a great cinematographer and editor to do a great job of direction, but you don't necessarily need a great screenplay.

I can think of multiple films that have great direction but not great screenplays: from THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Robert Wise) to SUSPIRIA (Dario Argento) to FAHRENHEIT 451 (Truffaut).

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2013

R17 is right. This has nothing to do with the CIA. Don't you understand- Hollywood saved the lives of those Americans. Arkin and Goodman (and Hollywood by proxy) are the real heroes of Argo.

Hollywood likes nothing more than being glorified, and Argo gives them that glory in spades.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013

Wow, this is getting ridiculous, at this point.

I agree completely with R9. Affleck is a solid director, but the BEST director in this year's field? Ludicrous. Bigelow would be taking all the awards if it hadn't been for the brouhaha over her film's 'depiction of torture'. Spielberg must have done something to piss everybody off, or 'Lincoln' is just that sanctimonious.

Let's hope that R29 is right. I want the AMPAS to man up and not award Affleck's picture a single damn thing. It was entertaining! It wasn't award-worthy!

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2013

It means that Les Miserables could still walk away with Best Picture.

A lot of Oscar voters won't vote for Argo because of the Affleck Embarrassment. Lincoln is respected but not loved, it's considered a snoozefest by many. Zero Dark Thirty is too much of a controversial hot potato. Silver Linings Playbook is enjoyable but a lightweight. Not enough saw Beasts Of The Southern Wild, my favorite film from last year. That leaves Les Miserables. A lot of people love this movie despite what you nay-sayers and haters think. And if male members of the Academy let their wives (or boyfriends) fill out their ballots then Les Miserables definitely has a shot. It is NOT impossible, it COULD happen.

by Anonymousreply 4202/03/2013

[quote]He says Affleck needs an exceptional cinematographer and editor and an excellent script to make a good movie -- as if EVERY OTHER FUCKING DIRECTOR doesn't need the same to make a great movie.

I meant to say that he relies on great collaborators more than someone like Spielberg, Scorsese or Haneke.

[quote]Idiot.

Go fuck yourself, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2013

Wow. I agree that the Academy showed taste by not nominating Affleck, but the acclaim for Bigelow is an even bigger mystery to me. Zero Dark Thirty is a generic procedural, nothing more -- it makes Argo look like a masterpiece.

If Argo wins Best Picture, I hope they give Best Director to Haneke, who clearly is the best of the bunch this year.

by Anonymousreply 4402/03/2013

This has been such a weird year that I still think Argo might lose. There's still like three weeks of voting and members could think that the sympathy for Affleck has got him enough recognition. The changing of the nomination dates turned this oscar race into one of the weirdest in history.

Much of Argo's success is due to the editing. Zero Dark Thirty should win but since it is the same editor then I guess Argo will win there. It is strange that it will win BP with maybe another win, like adapted screenplay or editing.

I'm still hoping for a SLP upset. From the three frontrunners (Argo, Lincoln, SLP), SLP was my favorite. Or maybe Life of Pi.

by Anonymousreply 4502/03/2013

The last 30 minutes of Zero Dark Thirty are better than anything Affleck has directed. Masterful work.

by Anonymousreply 4602/03/2013

At this point I'm resigned to Argo winning Best Picture, but I'm worried that a BP win is going to pull Arkin and/or Terrio to wins in their respective categories. I know the Oscars aren't truly about rewarding quality, but that would be awful.

by Anonymousreply 4702/03/2013

ZDT may be a "procedural" but she made a fictional film look like nonfiction, documentary-style art. The last 30 minutes are indeed the best minutes in the cinema in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 4802/03/2013

R9 Those might be better directors overall but this year was none of their best work.

by Anonymousreply 4902/03/2013

[quote]ZDT may be a "procedural" but she made a fictional film look like nonfiction, documentary-style art. The last 30 minutes are indeed the best minutes in the cinema in the last year.

And it's 157 minutes long. Not Best Short.

by Anonymousreply 5002/03/2013

r49, it might not be their best work, but I would argue that Argo isn't Affleck's best, either. All else aside, that ending is downright silly. He's capable of better.

by Anonymousreply 5102/03/2013

R18 perfectly describes Affleck's talents and limitations. Ben is lucky he is a commercial success because he isn't visionary or original as a director.

by Anonymousreply 5202/03/2013

You really light up the Trolldar like a christmas tree, r1. Get a fucking grip.

by Anonymousreply 5302/03/2013

WHo is the LUNATIC on this thread rambling on about the JFK assassination?

by Anonymousreply 5402/03/2013

r50, thank you. I'll concede that the raid on Bin Laden's compound is quite exciting (though hardly the best cinema of the past year), but everything before that is a snoozefest.

Argo may be silly at times, and that climax is eye-rolling, but at least Affleck keeps the tension high from beginning to end, and the movie clearly has passion.

And those comparing it to "documentaries"...again, there are documentaries with considerably more passion, emotion, tension than any second in the first 2 hours of ZDT.

Still, they're both better than Beasts of the Southern Piece of Shit. I can possibly understand the Best Original Screenplay nomination, but the direction was atrocious, deserving of a Razzie Award, not an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5502/03/2013

Spielberg has the Oscar wrapped up for picture and and Director. Argo gets shut out at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 5602/03/2013

I was very disappointed in Zero Dark Thirty. Not nearly as good as all the end of the year hoopla made me believe. Chastain was so-so (Jennifer Ehle was the real outstanding female performance in that movie), and not as compelling, either.

Bigelow deserved her nomination from the DGA , and she deserved an Oscar nom, but she didn't deserve the prize.

by Anonymousreply 5702/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.