Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think the cure for death will be invented any time soon?

I have a feeling that it may be invented in our lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 6805/15/2014

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

I hope not.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

I think there will be a pill to significantly slow down the effects of aging--especially that type of plaque in the brain that is associated with Alzheimer's--within the next ten years.

Death, of course not, unless you're ready for a world war over food.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

Uhm... death is not a disease. Therefore there is no reason to cure it. Can you imagine living forever? I can't and don't want to. Can you even fathom how bitchy a 1000 year old queen will be? It makes me shudder. Please no, no, no...

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

It already exists.

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

R5 You are not supposed to talk about these things anymore. Remember you have faked your own death already.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

But even the ancient Greeks knew that eliminating death was useless, unless you figured out to have eternal youth first. Otherwise you just age and age and age, until you're no longer recognizable as human.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

Life Extension, LLC.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

If you can make it to 2045, when the technological singularity occurs, then you can download your brain and live forever as a transhuman-posthuman. Or at least until the dying sun goes nebula. But maybe you'll be off-planet too, I plan to be.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

No, because there are too many things that can go wrong with your body inconsistent with life.

You need to see "Death Becomes Her" (1992) to see other pitfalls to staying alive too long.

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

Hormones! Pills! Exercise! Buy my products!

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

Speaking of Death Becomes Her...

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

Dumb question. All the answers you're going to get is quite obvious and obnoxious.

Our body is made up of individual parts that come together to form the body. Each part is susceptible to various afflictions and diseases unique to it. People often ask the dumber question, can we cure cancer? No. Cancer is an umbrella term. Each cancer is unique in its own way. Breast cancer is not the same as leukemia. A "cure" for one does not translate to another.

As r4 stated, death is not a disease that can be cured.

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

[quote]I have a feeling that it may be invented in our lifetime.

What is OUR lifetime? Are you 20 years old? 60 years old? Why do you assume we are all the same age?

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

People are just recycled over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

I look forward to having my organs harvested for food.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

cure for death!!!! Is the death is an illness????

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

Do plants, the ones that come in bloom on an annual basis, ever die? Any one know?

What about trees? If the white man doesn't cut them down, do they live forever? Serious question. Aren't there trees that are 1000's of years old?

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

The problem isn't just death - it's the slow loss of capability as chronic illnesses accumulate, joints wear down, cognition slows and telomeres get damaged. Who cares if you live forever but need to be hooked up to a machine in a hospital to survive?

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

Ask any vampire

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

It has been invented. It's not all that, trust me dahling.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

I really wouldn't want to live forever.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

R14 shut up re: cancer cure. It may be an umbrella term but there are many consistencies between the different types that warrant them to be categorized as "cancer" and not the "flu". So finding a cure for one but open the doorway to finding cures for the other types

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2013

There are sequences on the end of the genetic material called telomeres. As cells divide the length of those sequences is reduced until finally the cell undergoes apoptosis or dies out.

There is also research out there that is working on bolstering the human immune system to seek out and destroy cancer cells.

Couple telomere restoration with cancer inhibition and you've got the recipe for a very long life indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013

Not in your lifetime

by Anonymousreply 2702/04/2013

The world would be an awful place if people stopped dying. We'd use up scarce resources even faster than we are, and much more of our money would be spent supporting old people who can't work anymore (assuming aging didn't otherwise stop). We need fewer old people, not more.

by Anonymousreply 2802/04/2013

Cure shmure.

We're organic matter. Organic matter has a durational, finite existence and then it dies and changes into something else.

I'll be changed into energy and ashes because I'll be cremated.

And that's as it should be and how it is.

by Anonymousreply 2902/04/2013

If there was a CURE for death, people would just start killing each other.

by Anonymousreply 3002/04/2013

Yes, I read a scientific article that says the people who are being born now will be able to live over 1,000 years. They are learning how to grow body parts or clone them and will replace the ones that fail. This will of course be for only the rich.

So perhaps our grandchildren or great grandchildren will find immortality. That's what the scientific article predicted.

by Anonymousreply 3102/04/2013

I want my fucking hair back! Where's the cure for that?!!

by Anonymousreply 3202/04/2013

Death -- the new 40!

by Anonymousreply 3302/04/2013

I believe that my nephew's children (he's 10) probably will live forever.

by Anonymousreply 3402/04/2013

The first people to achieve dramatically extended lifespans have already been been born. It's coming much sooner than people think, and is likely to arrive very suddenly like the arrival of protese inhibitors suddenly changed the lifespans of those with HIV. It is likely those greater lifespans will enable them to live until immortality is achieved.

There are several drugs already under testing. Most antiage testing is done under the diabetes umbrella, as its hard to get funding for life extension.

Alot of people are already taking supplemdnts to extend their telomeres.

Not everyone will want to live forever, but being able to live into old age without suffering degenerative disease would be attractive to most.

Btw: there are things in your body that are already immortal: cancer cells can divide infinitely.

by Anonymousreply 3502/04/2013

I want an android body! Lt.Cmdr.Uhura

by Anonymousreply 3602/04/2013

Is there a test to measure our telomeres? Pretty sure mine are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 3702/04/2013

Not human death.

by Anonymousreply 3802/04/2013

I saw some scientist on TV when I was around 14 predicting there would be a cure for aging and death in about 20 years time and remember thinking, oh good, being 34 forever wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Well, now I am nearly 47 and still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 3902/04/2013

We'd have to totally redefine "eldergay."

by Anonymousreply 4102/04/2013

Screw Eldergay, I want to live to be an Ancient Gay!!!

by Anonymousreply 4202/05/2013

I used to believe it, until my wicked daughter wrote a book.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2013

Have the emperor proclaim you a god!

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2013

Why are we looking for a cure for death when we don't even have a cure for rape?

by Anonymousreply 4502/05/2013

without death there would be war with death there will be no pain with life is a miracle the expansion of its specie with death it makes things equal with the population and also causes evolution and finishes it by the extinction of species without death there would be no worrys with death there is full of worrys and alot of rush of life,war everything without death the world would be lazy and have so much pain torture sadness etc thank you death for existing. if you cant sprint you run if you cant run jog if you cant jog walk if you cant walk limp if you cant limp crawl -christopher brennan

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2013

I hope not. Being really old, like 85 to a hundred is proving difficult for society, if a large portion of the population were immortal the whole society would have to change to support them. Humans are far to short-sighted and purblind to deserve immortality yet

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2013

This comment cracked me up and seems as good a reason as any to hope we never achieve immortality:

[quote[ Can you even fathom how bitchy a 1000 year old queen would be? It makes me shudder.

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2013

I think there will be some advances that will slow aging a bit, but that won't happen for 100 years or more.

The novel The Postmortal by Drew Magary takes place in 2019 when a cure for aging but not death becomes available. The rest of the book is about how the cure causes a lot of problems for society because it gets misused in certain situations.

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2013

No, we won't become immortal anytime soon, if ever.

If we did, it would dramatically increase the murder rate. Who the fuck could put up with some people forever? We'd have to kill them ourselves. I'm looking at you, Palin.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2013

That picture at R13 looks like the kid from "Mask". Who is that woman?

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2013

Wasn't invented soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 5312/01/2013

how about all u fuckin die!

by Anonymousreply 5403/14/2014

Bump for orignal thread.

by Anonymousreply 5505/14/2014

Who is the vile cunt that started two of these threads?

by Anonymousreply 5605/14/2014

1 in 3 born today will live to 100. But there won't be a "cure" for death, ever.

by Anonymousreply 5705/14/2014

After a certain age, you get Gabor'ed.

by Anonymousreply 5805/14/2014

You'd go batshit crazy knowing there was no end to it all. At least therapists would never be out of work.

by Anonymousreply 5905/14/2014

Eventually we will. I'm imagining original brains but cyborg bodies. Eventually, the brain will be smaller than a microscopic chip and the cyborg body will allow it to travel through space. Not in our lifetime though, and by the time that time comes around this planet may already be too depleted for life to still thrive in the first place. We'll be dead and those not born yet will probably be our last generation before it happens.

by Anonymousreply 6005/14/2014

who wants to be 150 years old and bed ridden?

But if there were a way to be 150 and remain active and vital, wouldn't you want it?

by Anonymousreply 6105/14/2014

It won't matter because eventually the planet will die.

by Anonymousreply 6205/14/2014

It will eventually become a thing in your past, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6305/14/2014

The poor in the US are dying earlier than their parents or grandparents. Infant mortality for the poor is also one of the highest in the world.

Only the quite well to do will live longer (I doubt forever) but the poor are dying younger every year.

That seems to be the intention of the GOP and half the Democrats anyway.

They want the sicker, older ones to die off and not cost a another cent and the healthier poor to become slaves.

by Anonymousreply 6405/14/2014

I don't think they'll be a cure for death, but I do think they'll be some sort of digital way to store brains like in Her.

by Anonymousreply 6505/14/2014

What good is an old brain on a new young body. Old brains will still get senile eventually and many other things that make old brains rot.

People need to just enjoy the time they have and when it's their time to go try to go as gracefully as possible. I mean everyone is scared about dying, will it be painful, what comes afterward, heaven, hell, nothing, reincarnation. I've known 90 something year olds who don't want to die and can't bear thinking about it. Scary as shit yeah, but it's gonna happen.

They used to say the only things we can't escape are death and taxes. Well the very rich have found a way not to pay taxes, I guess they're working on death.

by Anonymousreply 6605/14/2014

Death is part of life in our dimension. Everything on Earth dies, including people. It's nature. You can't change that, just like you can't change the weather. It can never be done.

by Anonymousreply 6705/14/2014

I was part of the beta testing. It worked!

by Anonymousreply 6805/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!