Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who li w in hotels

And I'm not talking about the chateau marmont here. I've had co workers who lived in hotels but was too shy to ask why. Any dlers ever live in a hotel? Why did you do it? Isn't it more expensive than an apartment?

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2013

Oops I meant people who LIVE In hotels

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

My great aunt lived in a good hotel which had apartments. She had a little kitchen, but whenever we visited we ate at the buffet in the dining room. This was in the early 70s, long before assisted living facilities. Her husband had been a lawyer, then a judge and left her a well-to-do widow. This was a pretty good situation for someone who could live on her own but didn't do big entertaining any longer.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

I know someone who lived for almost a year in a hotel in new york. I think he just liked it and had tons of money to blow.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

I don't know what your co-workers' means are, OP. Are they on extended stay arrangements with permanent homes elsewhere? Maybe they don't see permanence in their work arrangements. Or maybe they just need a fuckpad close to work. Personally, I love the idea of some type of consistent maid service, but the sterile living circumstances would be too much.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

I thought this only happens on TV.

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

I lived in one for the summer during my parents divorce. One of my parents put me up and charged the whole thing to the other's card.

It was a good life, the hotel is somewhat prestigious. I got fucked by the guy who brought coffee to my room every morning - I didn't drink the coffee, he was just really tall, blonde, and beautiful. One night some guy in the suite next to mine got into a fight with his prostitute and she must have called the police. I opened the door and a police officer told me that I was too innocent to witness the scene. Little did he know I was underage, alone, and drunk and stoned off of my ass.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

Sex predators live in the hotel close to my town. Guess it's the only place they can legally get.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

I plan to die in a really expensive hotel. It's just seems so charming.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

Are you going to take an overdose or just wither away, r8? Or somewhere in between?

If all of my friends are gone when I feel like dying, I think I'll go to Paris. I'm not sure. "He died on a cold day in Chicago" also reads nicely.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

I thought this was common in California after the real estate bubble broke.

Families don't have the credit rating, job, or cash to obtain an apartment, so they rent at the local notell motel.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

Doesn't everyone?

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

r11, make sure to have some lavish nights at great hotels before you decide on this. I hope you choose to stick around longer than you plan for.

Sorry to be a downer. Your scene does sound so dramatically opulent and I admire the way in which you wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

I did for the better part of two years. No lease, maid service, what's not to love? I just didn't feel that I should sign a LEASE when my employment was literally month to month. Some of the people on this board bought houses when they had no reliable expectation of employment, and it bit them in the ass. One of the little rules of finance that Suzie Orman doesn't talk about is not undertaking liabilities (like a lease) with a longer time horizon than your income. But it's just common sense. It wasn't so bad. I got to know the ex-cons at the Waffle House and despite what you morons think, people who live in hotels are just like people anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

I've fantasized about living in a good hotel. Other people would do the housework and cook for me, and I wouldn't be burdened with owning a lot of stuff. I could pick up and move to a new hotel or a new city any time I liked. It'd be my idea of heaven!

But only if I had money. Sadly, the average hotel resident is likely to be someone who can't afford a first and last month's rent, or any furniture. And hotels are very expensive for people without a lot of money, once they move in they can't afford to save for a better place.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

R13 I've been doing the rounds lately. If the doorman doesn't greet me by name then I scratch it off my "kick the bucket" list. I was very disappointed at the Copley Plaza recently when the doorman didn't even open the door for me. I mean, who the fuck is going to open the door for me when they wheel out my fur covered stretcher??? Currently the Dorchester is my favoured choice but please don't tell the management...

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

I worked in a very upscale hotel and there more then a few that just lived there. Had their own cottages. It sort of was the thing to do if you were a single woman left with all your husbands money and they needed to fumigate.

On the flip side, they also has some staff living at the hotel. This was a form of low income housing the hotel was required to provide by the city if they wanted to expand into public land.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

If you could afford to live in a nice hotel, I could see how it would be good if you were older. Not just the maid and room service, but generally the staff gets to know you. You would be treated well and surrounded mostly by younger people who were not dropping off like flys or always talking about their latest bowel movement.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

I did a rural midwest hospital job for a year. Was hired to fill in for that year, temporary job in a town of 8000. I rented an apartment at the only hotel in town. The apartment was small with a kitchenette, nice bathroom and sitting sleeping area. Had TV and phone, someone at the desk 24 hours a day as I was on call most days. Was perfect, nothing to take care of, no bills to pay, nice street view.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

In Helene Hanff's stories of Broadway in the 1940s and 50s, she talked about one of the famous ladies who'd put on plays and how she always moved from one hotel to another when one of her productions flopped. She had a circle of five or six hotels and would move from one to another.

The hotels were used to her.

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

Chuck Bass

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

Elaine Stritch has lived at the Carlyle for a decade now. She's always lived in hotels.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

Warren Beatty lived in The Beverly Wilshire for years.

Also Casy Kasem and his blonde wife did too until they bought in Bel Air.

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

Lived in a hotel that was a little bit 70s shag rug in decor but had a huge, amazing swimming pool that I used every day in summer. Beautiful Bulgarian lifeguard with eyes the color of Acqua Velva. Kinda miss it!

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

You are hilarious, r11. I cannot make life choices for you, but I would insist that you regale the world with your humour and decadent sensibilities a while longer.

by Anonymousreply 2502/03/2013

If I ever struck it rich, I'd love to live at the Waldorf Towers.

by Anonymousreply 2602/03/2013

Motels can be $25 per night in rural areas and the South, which is less than rent. Motels, not hotels

by Anonymousreply 2702/03/2013

There used to be a hospital in NYC called Doctors Hospital. It was for the society types (Rosemary Woodhouse was supposed to deliver her baby there). People would check into the hospital and live there for months while their apartments were bring painted and redecorated. Or when a marriage or relationship broke up and the other party got to keep the digs.

Patient rooms were lively, with views of Gracie Mansion, Carl Schurz park and the East River (before all the condos went up starting in the 80s). Food was delivered on covered silver trays by waiters wearing white gloves. You could have a visitor for dinner. You just told your private duty nurse that Mr Jones would be visiting at dinner time and she would inform the kitchen that two lobster thermidors should be sent to room xxx.

All of this was charged to insurance companies. Doctors Hospital invented the term "hospitalized for exhaustion." Other diagnoses -- dehydration, stomach pains, anemia, headaches. Vague stuff. But in the days before managed care and before DRGs, when the doctor said you needed to stay in the hospital, the insurance company paid.

Many people used it as a hotel. High class drunks came in to go through the DTs and get addicted to Librium instead.

It's gone now. It was bought by the Beth Israel hospital system, then sold and torn down for condos.

by Anonymousreply 2802/03/2013

I live in a one-bedroom condo now. I could certainly live in a hotel if it were a suite with one bedroom and a kichen area. As long as it weren't a fleabag type place and at least of a Hotel Sheraton type quality.

by Anonymousreply 2902/03/2013

We live in a hotel. We're homeless.

by Anonymousreply 3002/03/2013

I lived in a Ritz Carlton for several weeks, consecutively, at the invitation of a boyfriend.

He was older and, clearly, rich. I was genuinely interested in him - daddies are my thing, sexually - but the closer we got (or the closer I thought we got) the more he started to treat it as a commerce exchange. I get why (most other young dudes have dicked him over) but it was still sad.

That being said, it was fabulous to have that sort of care and that level of service. And I still splurge for hotels now - I always pick the midprice hotels not because I'm a snob, but simple basic service and comfort is almost always sacrificed when one chases the bottom dollar.

by Anonymousreply 3102/03/2013

Motels are not cheaper than apartments, doll. Places where motels are $25 a day have rents of $400 or $500 for a one bedroom apartment.

by Anonymousreply 3202/03/2013

Also, if you live in a hotel you will find it important to tip the various members of the staff.

by Anonymousreply 3302/03/2013

We at the Hotel motel holiday inn

by Anonymousreply 3402/03/2013

I have lived in a MOTEL for almost a year. It has a kitchenette and sits on the beach in Panama City Florida. Apart from being called a motel, it is a studio apartment. I pay monthly about the same as an apartment in this area and get once a week maid service, free toilet paper, no bills, a beach a pool a jacuzzi and free parking. It's not all that bad.

by Anonymousreply 3502/03/2013

I live in a Marriot in the Inland Empire. I was living in the family home when it was sold and I checked into the hotel while I was looking for a permanent place. I love it. It's a studio apartment basically with pools and patio and weight room. When you have extensive stay, you can get a better rate. It works more me because I hate tchotkes and stacked books and I love the maid service.

by Anonymousreply 3602/03/2013

R32, you also have to figure that you're getting cable, electric, housekeeping, toilet paper, and your towels and bedding laundered for your money in the motel. You don't have to buy furnishings either.

by Anonymousreply 3702/03/2013

Visions of Judy Garland wearing everything she owned to go "shopping".

by Anonymousreply 3802/03/2013

I was in New Orleans last month and there were several people at my guest house that seemed to be there on a permanent or semi-permanent basis. I couldn't tell if they were just wintering, or if they'd been there for years. The owner seemed like the type who'd be happy to take a wad of cash upfront for a reduced rate, and never ask questions.

by Anonymousreply 3902/03/2013

R35 That sounds nice except for the part about it being in Panama City.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013

R33 Unless you're a Christian pastor.

by Anonymousreply 4102/03/2013

Are you talking about a luxury (or at least very nice) hotel, or weekly extended-stay hotels. People live in the latter because they may not have the credit to live in an apt.

by Anonymousreply 4202/03/2013

In the 50s & 60s NYC, performers would live in SRO's...single room occupancy, more commonly SRO, sometimes called a single resident occupancy. this ended in the 80s when I moved to the city. I always like the idea of living in a hotel, in case of an emergency, etc. I could never do something like that in the city today. That type of service today would THRIVE. Anyone ever live in an SRO?

by Anonymousreply 4302/03/2013

There used to be a lot of SROs in downtown LA, but most of them are being converted to upscale apartments and condos.

by Anonymousreply 4402/03/2013

I did when I relocated to Atlanta. I wanted to find a good neighborhood close to work before I rented. Traffic in Atlanta is crazy and their Marta is very lacking.

by Anonymousreply 4502/03/2013

I lived in a hotel for about 2 months during really bad weather because my commute was too hard to make.

by Anonymousreply 4602/04/2013

I lived in a nice hotel in nyc for a few months while looking for a new apt. It wax s last minute thing as I couldn't come to terms on a new lease with my landlord and had to move out fast. Fortunately it was in January which is a slow season so I got a great rate which included WiFi and free breakfast which I had the option to have delivered by room service. I wound up staying almost 3 months universally enjoyed the experience , though it was mainly because I couldn't find another place easily (credit issues) . But having the maid service was awesome and just the whole feeling of being in a hotel was great. Unfortunately as spring arrived the rates went up so I ended up spending way more than I would fir an apt.. Towards the end and I must have gained at least 15 lbs from all those breakfasts I didn't need but of course ordered every day because it came with the room...plus they'd give you a breakfast for 2 and I was one.

It was nice though to finally get my own place after that, there's nothing like having your own home, though when I pass the hotel I have nice memories of it, and wouldn't mind spending a few days there again just to "get away" !

by Anonymousreply 4702/04/2013

I lived in an extended stay motel while house hunting in a new town and met many people who lived there full time, from business people, to truck drivers, to retirees, etc. They all said the same thing: their monthly outlay in the motel was much less than in their own apartment, and they were not tied down to a lease, mortgage, etc. Don't forget that the longer you stay at one of those extended-stay places, the less the daily rate; they negotiate a monthly rate for you that is A LOT less than the daily.

by Anonymousreply 4802/04/2013

People living in motels as their primary residence is a sad state of affairs in America. I vaguely recall a childhood where most people could afford housing without resorting to living in a motel.

by Anonymousreply 4902/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.