Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you think a successful musician who decides to become a athlete midway through a successful career is an IDIOT?

Vanessa Mae is one of the most successful classical musicians alive, and she put that on hold to compete in the Olympics. WTF? Does anyone think that she's a bit of a moron. She strikes me as someone who hasn't really struggled in life and who's had it too easy.

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013

Multi-tallented people are so greedy, OP. Next thing you know, she'll be shooting bananas out of her junk at Burning Man.

by Anonymousreply 102/03/2013

^The thing is, though, this is detrimental to her career. She's got one leg on one side of the line and another leg on the other side of the line; she will fall easily. Normal mature adults at her age, 34 years of age, would know when to stop spreading themselves thinly. If she didn't do this ski prep, she could have released several cds by now.

by Anonymousreply 202/03/2013

OP, you strike me as someone with a massive case of envy.

by Anonymousreply 302/03/2013

An athlete can get richer through endorsement deals than a music artists who plays classical music.

by Anonymousreply 402/03/2013

So?

by Anonymousreply 502/03/2013

R3 I WANT her to succeed because I relate to her and enjoy her music. I find it very sad that she hasn't released an album in close to a decade now.

by Anonymousreply 602/03/2013

R4 she's worth 41 million and she hasn't worked in nearly 10 years now. She's made a fortune off her music. I don't see how she could make more than that as an athlete.

by Anonymousreply 702/03/2013

OP, r6. That's kind of creepy. You don't want her to change because it's all about you and your need for a new music release?

She should know and do what's best for her and not live to satisfy your needs.

by Anonymousreply 802/03/2013

R8 How is that creepy? I'm not forcing her to do anything, I'm just expressing the fact that I like her and wish for her to succeed, then I expressed my opinion on her foolish actions.

There's nothing creepy about that.

by Anonymousreply 902/03/2013

[quote]OP, you strike me as someone with a massive case of envy.

OP strikes me as someone with a massive case of being massive.

by Anonymousreply 1002/03/2013

r9, you want her to succeed ON YOUR TERMS. You are no different than parents who want their kids to succeed in only one particular way and everything else is one great disappointment. That's why your post is so creepy.

by Anonymousreply 1102/03/2013

[quote][bold]You're throwing your life away[/bold] to become a statistic on U. S. fucking A. Today!

by Anonymousreply 1202/03/2013

Mark my words, r11, this 10 year hiatus will destroy her music career before she even knows whether or not her sports career will take off.

by Anonymousreply 1302/03/2013

OP, Vanessa Mae's Tiger mom thinks you have too much emotional investment in her daughter. It's freaking her out. Stop making it weird.

by Anonymousreply 1402/03/2013

In the mid 90s OP they told us we would all have to do this 7 or 8 times in our lives, switch careers. It was intended to paint a smiley face on the pauperization of the middle class, but one can hardly hate on people who do, can one?

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

"An athlete can get richer through endorsement deals than a music artists who plays classical music"

Only top atheletes, and what are the odds that a 34-year-old who's used to practicing 23 hours a day will become a top athelete?

But if she really has 40 million dollars lying around, she can do whatever she damn well pleases.

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

First of all, OP, she is not a classical musician. She's in crossover. She's therefore not nearly as talented at her instrument as you might think, her large fortune notwithstanding. She's like the Josh Groban of violinists, and no, that's not a compliment. She would never be hired by a major orchestra to play a concerto, for example. She's technically incapable of playing her instrument well enough.

But you probably don't understand any of that, so that's neither here nor there. It would be no loss to the music world if she left her "career" to be an, no doubt, athlete as mediocre as she is a violinist. Only the slack jawed yokels who call her a classical violinist might be affected.

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

I could understand your frustration, OP. Some musicians inspire you to greatness just by their talent alone. Then they retire or move on to something else.

It's her life and well, what are you going to do, right? Maybe she didn't feel fulfilled as a musician. Maybe it's something her parents wanted for her rather than what she wanted for herself. Be happy that she broke free of it and is now doing what she actually wants.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

I could imagine a musician who is an avid golfer switch to pro golf. There is a lot of money in golf if you're good at it. And you can do it into middle age.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

[quote] Vanessa-Mae, whose full name is Vanessa-Mae Vanakorn Nicholson, would be only the second Thai to compete at a Winter Olympics if she qualified.

Don't worry, OP. It sounds unlikely that she will be competing in the Winter Olympics!

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

I'm more interested in the outrageous price of violins--$1million! How is that possible?

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

It's her life. Plenty of people have strength in multiple disciplines. I'm sure this represents a new and exciting challenge to her.

Btw, what have you accomplished, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

[quote]they told us we would all have to do this 7 or 8 times in our lives, switch careers. It was intended to paint a smiley face on the pauperization of the middle class

so true!

by Anonymousreply 2302/03/2013

[quote]An athlete can get richer through endorsement deals than a music artists who plays classical music.

Whaa...?

Practice Pole vaulting!

by Anonymousreply 2402/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.