Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Euthanizing a fish . . .

Brethren and Sistern: I need your suggestions for how to humanely and efficiently euthanize a fish (Betta) that is obviously circling the drain but taking a really, really, long time to die. Seeking for something other than flushing him down the toilet or hitting him with a hammer or something. Yes, I'm asking for advice because it's distressing to me to see him linger and not be able to really do anything for him. He's old. Lived a good life, blah-blah-blah. He sinks to the bottom, goes all weird-looking and turns white and then I think he's dead. I come back 15 minutes later and he's in a different place in the bowl, barely alive but ... alive. I hate this. No, I DON'T want to pour Drain-O into his bowl. Thanks for any sane suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

The hammer would be the most humane. Just don't mess up.

by Anonymousreply 102/02/2013

Clove oil will knock it out humanely.

You add it gradually.

by Anonymousreply 202/02/2013

Get a cat.

by Anonymousreply 302/02/2013

the freezer

by Anonymousreply 402/02/2013

Sounds grisly, but maybe easier/quicker than a hammer--pour him down your drain and into your running garbage disposal?

by Anonymousreply 502/02/2013

Yeah the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2013

Oh for fucks sake, you pussy. Drop him in boiling water.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2013

Why not google the question? I don't understand people who do this. They post shit like this and then often bitch about the reponses. Why not google or just flush it. It's not that hard to figure out.

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2013

Flush it.

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2013

I had a woman next door was extremely fond of her aquarium fish. She said the most humane way to euthanize a fish is to get some water to near freezing (but not quite) and drop the fish in. It kills them instantly and it's painless.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2013

Flush it!

It's euthanasia and burial all-in-one.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2013

I've heard of the freezing thing as well, but I don't know--sounds like a bad way to die. Who knows if the fish isn't feeling that pain? You can't ask it.

I still say hammer.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

Thanks! Some good ideas. R8 sounds really constipated and can go crap in his hat.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

Just take him out of the water and lay him on a paper towel. He'll be gone in a few moments, and then you can flush him down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

oh, shit... I thought this thread was about.... well, you know.

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

You thought it was a Mrs. Patrick Campbell thread.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

Why R13? It was very good advice.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2013

The vet told me that freezing is the most humane way to euthanize a fish. I did it to my beta when he got sick and wasn't recovering.

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

Freeze it. Honestly, he'll just get hypothermia and go to sleep. If you are worried about him suffering, put him in a ziplock bag of ice water and freeze the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

Pan Fry

by Anonymousreply 2002/02/2013

I've held my hand in ice water and it is painful. I don't agree that it is humane.

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

Chop the head off would be more humane.

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

I've heard freezing too. Hammer is barbaric.

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 2402/02/2013

I've held my hand in ice water and it is painful. I don't agree that it is humane.

A fish is not a mammal and your hand is a whole living thing. The rapid temperature plunge will just cause the fish to fall asleep immediately and die.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

You need us

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

Why not let it dies naturally?

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

Yes, I could have Googled it. But honestly? I often feel I get better, more practical advice here. And more quickly. And, of course, with some smart-ass humor mixed in. What the Hell's not to like? And if you feel like posts like mine are a waste of your precious time, fuckin' DON'T linger. Move on. Found it very funny that the grump at R8 wasted his own time by spewing his noxious gas. I think the freezing approach is the winner. Mr. Fishy is still paddling around, one eye all bugged out, looking miserable and half-dead.

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

R27 I don't want it to *dies* naturally because it's taking literally weeks. I admit I want it over because it's making me sad and making me feel kind of frantic and guilty, because there isn't anything I can do for it. He's old. People have cats and dogs put to sleep humanely when it's obvious there's not going to be a miraculous recovery. I was asking for a way to do the same for a fish.

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

Ice cold water = thermal shock. (mass x temp = dead in a heartbeat)

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

R29 = narcissist who puts his own feelings over that of the fish. Should not be allowed to have a pet.

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

Please consider the clove oil option OP, that's what's usually done if you want to euthanize a fish humanely.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

He needs more oxygen. Clean his filter or swish your hand in the water.

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

True story: When I was a kid I was asked to feed my neighbor's cat and goldfish while they were gone. The goldfish, Mr. Fish, was [italic]thirteen years old.[/italic]His owner had taken extraordinary care of him and he had lived much longer than one would have expected.

I killed Mr. Fish in less than 12 hours. I accidentally overfed him, because I had no idea how much food to sprinkle in his bowl. To this day I feel awful about it.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

You can get Tricaine Methanesulfonate at a pet supply store.

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

Add grain alcohol to the tank slowly and eventually the fish will be anesthetized. Then add clove oil slowly and gradually. This will end its life humanely.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

Waring blender at high speed.

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2013

R31 failed basic reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2013

Come on, OP, just get it over with and stop letting the fish suffer. And while you're at it, put R21 in the freezer too.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

[quote]He needs more oxygen. Clean his filter or swish your hand in the water.

Most betas are kept in those cheap little bowls without filters. Their premature deaths are inevitable.

But OP didn't ask about curing him. He asked about killing him. There's a middle ground, of course. Why not give the fish his freedom by flushing him down the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

Proper Betta Euthanasia:

Eugenol (clove oil) is available at any pharmacy as a cure for toothache. It has been used for many years as an anesthetic for fish during tagging or surgery. Clove oil puts the Betta to sleep and makes sure it feels no pain.

1. Put the betta in a container of tank water but make sure to measure the amount of tank water and make a note of it. If it is a clear container please put a towel around it to calm the fish.

2. Fill a small jar with tank water but leave a gap at the top. Add 1 drop of clove oil to the jar, put the lid on and shake hard till the water turns a milky white, this means that the oil has mixed with the water. When it has turned white, place about ¼ of the mixture in with the Betta. The Betta will begin to fall asleep, leave for about 10 minutes after this it will look dead, but if you watch closely it may be still breathing, if it still alive get the jar and shake again and add the same amount as before and wait again.

some people will then add 25% vodka to ensure the process and for peace of mind. It is not essential to add the vodka with Bettas as they are air breathers; this means that when they are asleep in the clove oil they would just drown peacefully.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

Call the vet, OP. They'll have a suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!