Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What a sad photo...

A three-month-old elephant calf tries to awaken its dead mother at the Gunung Rara Forest Reserve in Sabah, Malaysia. Ten endangered Borneo pygmy elephants have been found dead in the Malaysian forest under mysterious circumstances, and wildlife authorities suspect that they were poisoned

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

That's horrific!!!

I hate humans.

by Anonymousreply 102/02/2013

I can't bring myself to look at the photo.

by Anonymousreply 202/02/2013

Neither can I.

by Anonymousreply 302/02/2013

I saw this earlier. Breaks my heart. Elephants are such intelligent, soulful creatures.

by Anonymousreply 402/02/2013

I can't look at this photo either - how heartbreaking. :-(

by Anonymousreply 502/02/2013

Fucking Debbie Downer has to come here and post and blow the nice buzz we are all smoking tonight. Die, Debbie, Die!

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2013

So sad. You can tell the calf doesn't understand.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2013

Besides most simians, elephants have familial bonds within their herds which are touching to see. When something happens to a mother, another female will often adopt a baby as her own. Mothers will also seek help when something happens to her babies.

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2013

Sometimes if the parents are poached for their tusks, humans will try to raise the surviving baby elephants in wildlife refuges. What's heartbreaking is that the baby elephants' grief can be so overwhelming that they lose the will to live, even if humans are working hard to nurture them and integrate them into a new elephant herd.

The more I learn about elephants the more I think they're the best species on the planet. Humans keep dropping lower and lower in my esteem.

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2013

In other news, about 50 seals were bashed to death on a Prince Edward Island beach. This wasn't part of the annual "hunt" which takes place on ice floes under controlled conditions. It was just some freak(s) going on a killing spree for no reason.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2013

I was going to type what R8 did. If they can get the baby to another female she will almost certainly take it in as her own. In fact female elephants are so enamored of baby elephants the babies must be guarded closely or will be kidnapped by other females who weren't lucky enough to give birth.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2013

I also read that female elephants often serve as midwives to expectant mothers, and that elephants in general grieve the deaths of other elephants. They also have a great memory and sometimes recognize an elephant they hadn't seen in years. One story I read was about two elephants who had been separated early on and were reunited in some preserve decades later, but they recognized each other and spent their remaining days together.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

That is why ringling bros is such a disgusting organization. They abuse the absolute shit out of these animals and it's sickening.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

I can't look. I just hope it's not as sad as a picture of Sachi trying to get her mother's attention as she chats on the phone with Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

baby elephant rescue

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

Other kinds of animals recognize each other after years as well, I've seen it.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.