Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I went to China last summer, would you like me to tell you about my experience?

I just need someone to talk to at the moment, so ask away. I really liked my trip to China. It was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

Well after reading the India travel thread (dead bodies, public sanitation issues... but middle class white people can get servants!), let's hear it.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

Only if you went on a killing spree

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Yes, as long as there are no home movies or a slide show.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Yes,please. My trip to China several years ago was incredible, and I babbled about it for months.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

R1 I found it to be an eye-opening experience. Originally, I came to China with the idea that it would be an awful place because of all the things that people told me like China painting their grass green etc. but it was actually very good. Places like Shanghai and Beijing were exceedingly clean and I especially liked Shanghai because the buildings were so high they were up in the clouds.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Clean? despite the air pollution?

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

R5 Those weren't clouds, that was air pollution.

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

Oh ya, one more thing before I'm off. Shanghai is multicultural.

I'll be back later with more.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

I enjoyed China too. Great mix of the old and new. Friendly if cautious people who seemed to enjoying some new prosperity and options. Summer Palace in Beijing was up there with Versailles in opulence.

What did you dig OP?

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

OP how crowded is it? Did you go to the main cities or did you visit villages? Was it expensive, can you get cheap food and feel safe about it? are the people friendly? is it easy to get around without knowing Chinese?

I know they have Mcdonalds, etc. but can you get local fast food easy?

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

And that wasn't chicken you were eating.

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

Why did you choose China, OP? Have you been to Europe, South America or Africa?

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

Someone who took a trip there said that the food there bears little resemblance to the food one finds in Chinese restaurants in the United States and Canada, is this true? Is it also true they eat dogs and cats?

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

R13, Perhaps I can assist as I asked many questions of my recently immigrated friends. There is American food that is a bad imitation of Chinese and way, way too sweet, like candy, (Panda Express) and Chinese-American food. For example Chinese make fried rice completely differently, with huge pieces of egg added at the end, to retain their color and shape.

Re the question about eating dogs and cats, R13, do you eat 'possum and squirrel and snake on a daily basis? Those in the poorer districts are more likely to eat unusual meats, just as those in remote French villages are more likely to eat horsemeat. Also the "dog" is closer to a wolf, and the "cat" is probably wild and very unlike a housecat.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

Some Chinese food in China is similar to what we have here and some is really different. Different oil and different texture.

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

I've been to China OP, no need to tell me.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

I went, and hated it. I felt like I could see only what the government wanted me to see, and that everyone was putting on a happy face and a show for the american tourists. Granted, this was 20 years ago, and it might be more open now, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I doubt I'll ever go back. Also, I'm a vegetarian, and it was difficult to find something to eat.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2013

Is it true Shanghai food is plain and non-spicy OP? Is obesity becoming a problem in China?

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

Are you quite sure that you did not have sex in China?

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

Do they smoke in public?

Would an American pocket gay be considered very tall?

Is there bigotry like in the US? I've heard there are thousands of ethnic groups in China.

by Anonymousreply 2002/02/2013

20 minutes after you left, were you hungry to go back?

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

Did you see/hear a lot of spitting?

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

Gayness?

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

Why did you choose China, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2402/02/2013

I lived in Shanghai for a while a few years ago. Everyone spits, everyone smokes. Indoors and outdoors. Shanghai's food is wonderful, but no, it's not spicy.

Shanghai is a beautiful cosmopolitan city with wonderful architecture from the early 20th Century. Beijing is an ugly smog-filled government city with a cool art scene.

Shanghai does have smog, too, but it's not as noticeable to the eye. My snot turned grey.

People, especially the elderly, walk around in their pajamas. Babies wear pants with no crotches so they can piss and shit in the street (they don't wear diapers).

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

I've been to China. Beijing and took a fast train to central China. Beijinng is clean and modern. The people were very nice and open. No crime anywhere. Completely safe to walk at night. The food in the north is not spicy. The smog and haze is very bad however. The fast train was a great experience. Clean and fast. The terminals were very nice. The people were gracious and polite. The down side was the congestion and smog. McDon's and Star Bucks everywhere, even a 7-11. Every American chain restaurant is there. Chinese don't eat weird food in general. Mostly a few truck drivers and others. In general everything is chicken, pork, beef and veggies. Mostly veggies. I'd go back. yup.

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

Went to Beijing in the late 80s, where a smoking cop tried to arrest ME for smoking (he was after a bribe). It was not a fun city at the time, but I liked Xian and Shanghai and the countryside, I loved the food, and the people were very friendly and fascinated by Westerners (I was having the worst diarrhea in my life in the public bathroom under Tiananmen Square--a big space with a couple dozen holes in the ground--surrounded by people feeling my clothes, skin and hair. Will never forget that experience!) I'd love to go back and see it now. The poverty and filth was sobering: babies shitting through holes in their clothes and everyone blowing snot rockets on the street, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

[quote](I was having the worst diarrhea in my life in the public bathroom under Tiananmen Square--a big space with a couple dozen holes in the ground--surrounded by people feeling my clothes, skin and hair. Will never forget that experience!)

Haha, what?! While you were squatted shitting in some hole on the floor, random people were touching you all over?

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

Yes, R28. Horrifying at the time, just funny to me now. I count my lucky stars this trip was at a time where people didn't have cell phones. I was with a friend with very curly hair, almost an afro, and they were fascinated by it. She was freaked out and crying.

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

[quote](I was having the worst diarrhea in my life in the public bathroom under Tiananmen Square--a big space with a couple dozen holes in the ground--surrounded by people feeling my clothes, skin and hair. Will never forget that experience!)

That sounds like a scene from "The King and I"

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.