Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

EXCLUSIVE Shirley MacLaine Daughter Tells **ALL** Tonight! on 20/20!

Shirley MacLaine's lookalike daughter, Sachi Parker, talks about her childhood in the book "Lucky Me: My Life With -- and Without -- My Mom, Shirley MacLaine." Parker says MacLaine chose being a movie star over being a mother.

"She was very absent," Parker said. "I was very lonely -- very lonely. Definitely. And I still struggle with abandonment issues and loneliness."

In the book, Parker writes that MacLaine was always happy to see her for about four hours, and then suddenly she became a burden.

Four hours?

"Pretty much," Parker said.

Sachi Parker said that while MacLaine had been generous with her husband, that wasn't the case with her. Parker said she asked for $500 to buy a used car, and MacLaine loaned it to her with interest.

"My mother was -- is very old-school regarding money and tough love," she said.

Unable to afford college, Parker worked as a maid, waitress and stewardess.

"I would look up, and the in-flight movie would be 'The Turning Point' or another [MacLaine] movie. And it would be a moment that I would find that I could be with her. She was right there. And I would just yearn for her," Parker said.

Parker really wanted to be an actress, but she says her mother did little to help. She landed bit parts in "Peggy Sue Got Married" and "Back to the Future," but her career never took off. In 1986, she and her mother made a Diet Pepsi commercial.

"Oh honey, you learn more from failure than success," MacLaine said in the ad.

"That's kind of her," Parker said with a laugh. "Perhaps she wrote the script. I don't know."

Fascinating interview

Intimate, revealing

Shirley MacLaine Daughter...for real!

Tonight on 20/20!

Don't Miss It!

by Anonymousreply 21502/28/2013

I love SM but she's been terrible to this poor girl. It's despicable. This is the opposite of helicopter parenting and old school fuck you kid parenting of the 50's, 60's & 70's. This only started to turn around in the 80's with the loss of Polly Klass, etc.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

Shirley MacLaine became a bestselling author of New Age books, in which she wrote about her belief in reincarnation and UFOs. During this period, Parker said, MacLaine told her that the man Parker was living with was not her father, but rather his clone. Her real father was "Paul," who was orbiting in space at a cost of $60,000 per month that MacLaine had to pay.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Doesn't sound like Shirley was all that unreasonable to me, but for one thing: the university education. If you've got the money, send your fucking kid to university for God's sake. It's just ridiculous to do otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

"Shirley MacLaine's lookalike daughter"

Um, no. They really look nothing alike and never did.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

Actors are self-absorbed twats. The surprise is that there are probably some good ones here and there.

It's kind of refreshing to hear someone be honest about it. I'm sure her experience is repeated frequently but others are smart enough to keep them connected (and silent) doling out the cash now and again.

I agree, having the money and not helping a kid with their education is just miserly and selfish.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

How come her father couldn't pay for her education? I'm not letting Shirl off the hook here but the kid did have two parents.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

Why have children if you don't want to be a mother? She clearly didn't.

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

The father was broke living off Shirley

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

Back in Shirley MacLaine's day, that's what women did: get married and have children. She did it even though she never should have done either. She and her husband rarely even lived in the same country! Sachi was packed off to Japan to live with her father (he had a Japanese mistress) due to some secondhand information that the mob was thinking of kidnapping her (MacLaine ran with the Rat Pack and their mobster friends).

Shirley MacLaine was never a maternal type; she's always been too involved with herself ever to be a mother to a child. Most actresses are the same way.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

Give my daughter the shot!!!

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

What must have Sachi felt watching Terms of Endearment?

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

Her dress twirlred up at my birthday party!!!

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

HW types should not have kids.

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

At least her daughter is still her daughter and not her son.

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

Boo fucking hoo

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

It just makes me thankful how my mom gave up her career and any chance she had at self-respect just so she could take care of me and my gay brother.

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

I have a book called "waiting",it's by a NY.waiter who takes time off to travel the country asking other servers to elaborate about a handful of topics(fucking hilarious,by the way!). In the chapter about celebrities theirs a story about SM. A waiter from Spago tells a bizarre story of being one of only three employees on the premises during the Rodney King riots. He and a manager and one cook in the kitchen are not able to flee to their homes because Shirley is in the dining room. She had eaten her meal and this guy gives her the check but SM says she wants a creme brûlée ! The waiter is freaking out to leave and tells her that no one came to work that night(including the girl that makes the desserts!). SM asks him why,and the guy says,"because of the riots Miss MacLaine", and he's gesturing out the window next to her table,where,from high above Sunset Blvd. the fires all over the city can be seen! Shirley barely glances out the window and says "that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard,I can't believe I can't have a creme brûlée!"

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

If you don't give me the creme brulee I will fucking wreck you!

by Anonymousreply 2002/01/2013

I don't count. I FEEL the music!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2102/01/2013

What I actually said was " give me the damn creme brûlée! If you're under staffed call my daughter, I hear she's a waitress."

And that awful girl writes a book saying I never helped her with her career! Ha!

by Anonymousreply 2202/01/2013

Why write a book like this unless betraying your parent can do some greater good (like Christina Crawford calling attention to child abuse)? Parker sounds like a self-entitled rich girl.

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

Shirley is a delusional narcissistic cunt

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

[quote]I can't believe I can't have a creme brûlée!"

I predict this will become a DL classic!!!

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

she's not rich

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

Shirley is quite the bitch. Seems like an awful person.

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

Shirley failed as a parent.

She tried her best to not produce a rotten and spoiled little girl, but in the end.....

She ended up that way anyhow apparently.

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

"Why write a book like this unless betraying your parent can do some greater good"

Sometimes you do things because you're pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

Did her daughter talk about trying to cope with an obviously delusional mother, whom the whole world made fun of?

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

Me me me me me me me me me me

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

I try to take you out for a nice creme brulee....and all I get is smart aleck backtalk!

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

I've always like SM, but it really disappoints me that she was so rich and didn't give her daughter anything.

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

I've never liked Shirley. I've always wondered why she was a star.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

Oh good. Now I don't have to leave the bitch anything in my will.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2013

"Let them eat creme brulee!" she cried, motioning to the rioters looting TVs from the nearest Korean electronics store.

I believe now, more than ever, that Parker was "possessed" as a child in Japan which led SM's pal William Peter Blatty to write The Exorcist using them as obvious models. And this "possession" is what led SM to go off on her incredibly self-absorbed spiritual quest.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

Does this mean she's been written out of the will? Why bother waiting til she's dead if you know you're not getting anything?

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

LOL r39

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

I think a fair examination of Shirley's acting ability will reveal that her only unique talent was her ability to scream louder than most of the other actresses her age.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

Sally Field was just cast in a Shirley MacLaine biopic, "Not Without My Creme Brulee"

by Anonymousreply 4302/02/2013

LOL r43 and w & w!

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

Maybe Debra Winger was right. Maybe she IS an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

[R22] I am sitting here with tears literally running down my face and can't stop laughing...

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

R47 = easily amused

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

Isn't this the one with psychic abilities?

by Anonymousreply 5002/02/2013

Did Sachi spill anything about Uncle Warren?

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 5202/02/2013

I would have to think that Sachi has already been made aware she is not in her mother's will. Shirley is a wealthy woman, and has a large home in Santa Fe, NM,and a 4 -plex apt. bldg., on the beach, in Malibu. Sachi would stand to inherit,at minimum, a $20 -25,000,000 estate, being SM's only child. Me thinks she calculated that, depending on sales, her book could bring her a couple mil. Much less, granted,than her inheritance would have been - but if she knows thats never coming, $2 mil. isnt bad. And like Christina, she gets her revenge, on having a bitch of a mother, who never showed her love......and while Shirley's still here.

by Anonymousreply 5302/02/2013

Celebrity Worth pegs Shirley at $25m.

by Anonymousreply 5402/02/2013

If Shirley cuts out Sachi out of the will CA laws will give that right back to Sachi. She has to leave her something.

by Anonymousreply 5502/02/2013

I have little doubt that some sort of falling out happened to cause her to do this now. I would have done it when SM was more popular, and I was forced to fucking waitress and pay back a $500 loan with interest. She's got two kids to support, and that's not easy when you're a single mom. I wonder if she plans on using the proceeds for the book to support them now, and having her kids suck up to Shirley for the inheritance later.

by Anonymousreply 5602/02/2013

What got me was two stories. The first was that at the age of 2 the daughter was sent to fly alone to be with her dad who was living in Japan at the time. There were no direct flights, this was years ago, and it took two days of connecting flights to get there. The baby was sent alone with the flight attendants in charge of her.

Another story was that as a teen she was sent to a boarding school and at Christmas, when she was 14, neither mom or dad came to pick her up. She had no money and did not know where either her mom or clone dad were and the school was closing for vacation. She was stranded and some strangers took her in for the whole vacation. Granted strangers might have been parents of another student or someone from the staff. But she says she never brought it up to her parents how terrified she was.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 5702/02/2013

"Unable to afford college, Parker worked as a maid, waitress and stewardess."

And uneducated too. I'm the same age as Sachi, and "stewardesses" were called flight attendants when she was old enough to be one.

by Anonymousreply 5902/02/2013

A suggested title for SM's final autobiography in which she suddenly remembers she's reincarnated from Marie Antoinette:

"Let Them Eat Creme Brulee!"

by Anonymousreply 6002/02/2013

I wish I could feel some sympathy here...either for Shirley or Shirley Jr... but I can't. Shirley does seem to own who she is and I don't think she deserves a Mommie Dearest tell-all. Well, at least not while she's still alive. Satchi, hon, as Abby Lee Miller says, 'SAVE YOUR TEARS FOR THE PILLOW'

by Anonymousreply 6202/02/2013

Well, this finally got her attention.

by Anonymousreply 6302/02/2013

[quote]Shirley does seem to own who she is and I don't think she deserves a Mommie Dearest tell-all. Well, at least not while she's still alive.

Those two statements are mutually contradictory. If she owns who she is, why shouldn't there be a tell-all about her from her daughter while she's alive?

by Anonymousreply 6402/02/2013

[quote]"My mother was -- is very old-school regarding money," she said.

She's going to pay now.

by Anonymousreply 6502/02/2013

Shirl has spent the last forty years announcing to one and all how wholeheartedly she believes in karma. Well, now karma has come around to bite her in the ass big-time. Seems only fair.

by Anonymousreply 6602/02/2013

Karma's a bitch - and so is Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 6702/02/2013

No creme brulee EVER!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6802/02/2013

r23, I think that the good that comes out of the children of celebrities ratting out their parents for giving them shitty childhoods is, one, books like that sell, which is good for the publishing industry, I guess, and encourages people to read, which is good for society as a whole. Besides that, these probably spend their whole lives dealing with everybody they meet asking them what their famous parent is like, being envious of all the money and glamor and privilege, etc. and they probably get pretty sick of that and just want to put it in a book so they can point to it and say, "If you really want to know, she's a fucking bitch, she never gave me a dime, it was awful, if you want to know more go read my book."

by Anonymousreply 6902/02/2013

Shut up and deal.

by Anonymousreply 7002/02/2013

Sachi was recently on an episode of SELLING NEW YORK where she was scouting for an apartment for herself & 2 kids. Isn't she kinda old to have kids so young. Poor gal, she got Shirey's awful Red headed freckly skin, which ages the worst of any caucasian skin.

And Shirley's leaving Sachi at the boarding school during Xmas holidays was unforgiveable. Glad Sachi wrote the book.

P.S. Shirley was awful in Dwnton Abbey!

by Anonymousreply 7102/02/2013

She probably wrote the book now because her kids will be going to college in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 7202/02/2013

I hope she was at least smart enough to offer her mother the dignity of blackmail, first. 'Either you put X million in trust, or I publish.'

by Anonymousreply 7302/02/2013

I'm so glad I always bought SM's books at yard sales for pocket change. I never put any money in that ones bank account.

Oh, and the books were ridiculous pseudo-religious BS all the way, like really bad, narcissistic hippie crap.

If I need enlightenment, it's better to read genuine works of great religions and teachers. Funny, they were often non-materialistic and HUMBLE. As for SM, well, there's a website out there that shows arial views of celeb's houses. The entire downtown of the town I was born and raised in could fit into her complex in AZ, with room to spare. SM,humble? Non-materialistic? I rather doubt it.

Let her eat creme brulee!!! Yep, this is destined to become a DL classic!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7402/02/2013

[quote]P.S. Shirley was awful in Dwnton Abbey!

Shirley stunk the shit out of that role.

by Anonymousreply 7502/02/2013

She did stink but it was a stink role. Fellowes had her say 'in America we...' once and then four hundred times thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 7602/02/2013

[quote]Sachi, Shut up and deal. by: Mom

Now I finally get to say the same thing to you.

by Anonymousreply 7702/02/2013

You go to your mother and say, "Mother, you abused me when I was young. You used to hit me with a baseball bat. But that´s okay. I forgive you. And now you´re old and you have a plastic hip. AND [italic]I[/italic] GOT THE BASEBALL BAT!!!"

by Anonymousreply 7802/02/2013

Oh Shirley....

Do you know what your CUNTING daughter did?

by Anonymousreply 8002/02/2013

[quote]"Let Them Eat Creme Brulee!"

OMG, I love Creme Brûlée.

by Anonymousreply 8202/02/2013

Just pre-ordered the book from iTunes...can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 8302/02/2013

I'd be willing to be she got wind that Shirl left her out of her will. I don't blame Sachi for writing the book, Shirl is as bad as Joan Crawford, worse than Lana Turner. I'm disappointed, I was a fan.

by Anonymousreply 8402/02/2013

Does Sachi open up about her own demonic possession and subsequent exorcism in Japan?

by Anonymousreply 8502/02/2013

Poor secular Jews. In the absence of faith, they got about wasting time and energy on new agey alien bullshit. It's such a tired cliche. MacClaine can go to alien hell.

by Anonymousreply 8602/02/2013

Barbra Streisand recently dropped Shirley as a friend. I guess Barbra got tired of all of Shirley's bullshit and kicked her out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 8702/02/2013

[quote]Poor secular Jews.

She's from an Irish/Scots family, isn't she? I don't think the Beatys were ever Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 8802/02/2013

[quote]Every thread about a female movie star turns into an excuse for some of you to call a woman a cunt.

Not true.

by Anonymousreply 8902/02/2013

Thank you, R273. The vitriol here is demoralizing (and yes, I know, pointless bitchery is explicitly called for in the masthead)!

by Anonymousreply 9002/02/2013

How do you know Streisand dropped her, R87?

by Anonymousreply 9102/02/2013

Despite what R58 seems to think, it's easy to disinherit a child under Calif law -- according to R58's own link:

[quote]To validly restrict or disinherit someone from your estate planning, it is best to specifically state in a Will or Trust document:“I have elected not to make any provisions for John Smith in the disposition of my estate".

by Anonymousreply 9202/02/2013

Two thoughts : new age hippies are the biggest piece of shit nazis out there.

What hetties never admit : what if you hate your kids?

by Anonymousreply 9302/02/2013

Is Sachi's 20/20 interview on line yet? I haven't been able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 9402/02/2013

Couldn't care less about Maclaine, but the daughter's a cunt. this is CLEARLY about money, and the fact she feels that she didn't get enough. Which means that she's probably lying about some things to make the story juicier. Which I would NEVER do!

by Anonymousreply 9502/02/2013

Shirley MacLaine's Daughter Pans Her Performance as Mom

by Anonymousreply 9602/02/2013

What was weird is that she sent Shirl a copy of the book along with a note that said "I love you" or something like that. Yes, no better way to tell mom you love her than a nice tell-all about how shitty she is.

by Anonymousreply 9702/02/2013

Thanks for posting the 20/20 interview r96.

THat was painful! I can't imagine anyone watching it would not be sympathetic to Sachi and her complex feelings towards her mother.

OMG that Shirley MacLaine is such a selfish bitch!!!

by Anonymousreply 9802/02/2013

Whoa r84. Lana Turner shouldn't be associated with Crawford, Davis, Young, etc in the mother department. She fucked up BUT she made up for her shit and became close to her daughter. In the end, they were friends. Cannot say the same for the ones mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 9902/02/2013

[quote]Couldn't care less about Maclaine, but the daughter's a cunt. this is CLEARLY about money, and the fact she feels that she didn't get enough. Which means that she's probably lying about some things to make the story juicier. Which I would NEVER do!

Fuck you, it's her story and she's entitled to tell it.

by Anonymousreply 10002/02/2013

Shirley is a vile cunt, how could she not fund her own childs education? moral compass, vile evil cunt.

by Anonymousreply 10102/03/2013

True, r32. Katharine Hepburn realized very early on that she was too self-involved and obsessed with her career to have children. She had the self-awareness to know that she would be a rotten mother and that's why she never had kids. It was very smart of her.

by Anonymousreply 10202/03/2013

plus she was a dyke in love with a drunk homo

by Anonymousreply 10302/03/2013

Lana Turner and her daughter Cheryl became closer in Lana's later years. Lana was totally accepting of Cheryl's sexuality and called Cheryl's girlfriend her 'second daughter.' Cheryl has said in interviews that she loved her mother very much and they eventually became good friends with one another.

I cannot even imagine what it must have been like to grow up with Lana Turner as your mother.

by Anonymousreply 10402/03/2013

[quote]I cannot even imagine what it must have been like to grow up with Lana Turner as your mother.

These are the options?

by Anonymousreply 10502/03/2013

[quote]this is CLEARLY about money, and the fact she feels that she didn't get enough.

Enough? She didn't get ANY. Shirley should have given her the 500 bucks for the car, and she absolutely should have paid for her education.

Shirley is a cunt, but it's not exactly a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 10602/03/2013

Well, isn't this a kick in the cunt for Miss MacLaine?

by Anonymousreply 10702/03/2013

R100...get some therapy, hon? Didn't bother to read the author's name, did you?

by Anonymousreply 10802/03/2013

"Thank you, [R273]. The vitriol here is demoralizing (and yes, I know, pointless bitchery is explicitly called for in the masthead)!"

R90, are you posting from the future?!

by Anonymousreply 10902/03/2013

Oh Jesus...20/20?? What a rank amateur! And where's the abuse that readers scramble to buy?? No one even gets tied down in a bed at night in this!!!

by Anonymousreply 11002/03/2013

But my dad is in orbit!

by Anonymousreply 11102/03/2013

We know that your dad is in orbit, we do feel bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 11202/03/2013

Mom put me on a plane when I was two! They were all shouting Japanese at me!

by Anonymousreply 11302/03/2013

Lol r111

by Anonymousreply 11402/03/2013

I have to say Sachi comes across as very, very sympathetic in that 20/20 piece.

I actually don't believe parents should feel obligated to leave their children money, but hopefully Shirley realizes that person who sacrificed the most for her fame and fortune happened to be her daughter, and gives her a shitload of money as a result.

by Anonymousreply 11502/03/2013

Shirley MacLaine is a typical New Age kook, so entitled and narcissistic. New Age spirituality attracts nuts like MacLaine because it tenets feed right into their egos. An for all their talk of love and karma and forgiveness, they never actually "walk the talk", so to speak. MacLaine's a hypocritical douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 11602/03/2013

Yes, r91 and r87, how do you know this about her and Babs? Can you dish?

by Anonymousreply 11702/03/2013

Couldn't uncle Warren give her some cash?

by Anonymousreply 11802/03/2013

Shirley just wants to be loved for being Shirley! Not for her MONNNNEEEEYYYYYY!

by Anonymousreply 11902/03/2013

Well, who's going to inherit the Oscar now?

by Anonymousreply 12002/03/2013

I was the inspiration for "Home Alone"!

by Anonymousreply 12102/03/2013

Shirley makes Ryan O'Neal look like Parent of the Year.

by Anonymousreply 12202/03/2013

Where was Shirley on Christmas??

by Anonymousreply 12302/03/2013

Now you know why Shirley and Warren aren't close. She's a mean and crazy lady.

by Anonymousreply 12402/03/2013

Cheryl Crane wrote a biography about growing up with Lana Turner. It is called DETOUR.

Turner was too immature for motherhood and comes across quite poorly in the book. Her mother raised Cheryl. Stephen Crane, Cheryl's father, was comes across pretty well in the book. Stephen Crane was a restauranteur who taught Cheryl everything he knew about the business and she was quite successful at it.

Cheryl, I read somewhere, thought Lana glossed over too much in her biography, LANA: THE LADY AND THE LEGEND. Cheryl wanted her side of the story told

by Anonymousreply 12502/03/2013

I've never understood. SM's career. She's unattractive (weasly eyes, pinched pale face), not a great actress and not such a good singer/dancer.

by Anonymousreply 12602/03/2013

What difference would it have made to Shirley if her daughter had been kidnapped? She saw the daughter so little that she may as well have been kidnapped.

by Anonymousreply 12702/03/2013

"I'm not Shirley MacLaine. Do not speak to me."

by Anonymousreply 12802/03/2013

So did Shirley's daughter get a student loan or work her way through school?

If not, she didn't want the college education to begin with.

So she is just whining.

And if she did work her way through school on her own dime, then she should be proud of herself.

by Anonymousreply 12902/03/2013

I don't fuck around where my son is concerned. ;)

by Anonymousreply 13002/03/2013

She's got plenty to whine about, r129. My middle-class parents put all 5 of their kids through college, and a millionaire like Shirley does nothing to help? It's absurd that anyone would defend that.

by Anonymousreply 13102/03/2013

I hope Grace Gummer writes a "MOMMY & MAMIE: MY TWO HORRORS" tell-all in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 13202/03/2013

Shirley and daughter pose for the cover of "Life" magazine, 1959...

by Anonymousreply 13302/03/2013

Here's the thing...CLEARLY, Maclaine is a horror show as a mother.

But writing this book certainly isn't going to bring mother and daughter together. It's a spiteful, hateful thing to do.

Like Mother, Like Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 13402/03/2013

mmmmmmmm ......just had creme brulee for dessert last night. I understand Shirley's riot frustration.

by Anonymousreply 13502/03/2013

Shirley was never a glamour gal, but like June Allyson before her, she was quite good at being the cute girl next door type. it helped that she could actually act when she was younger--she turns in terrific performances in "The Apartment" and "Desperate Characters" (the best of all her performances) and "Terms of Endearment"--and some agreeably adorable ones in "Irma la Douce" and "Sweet Charity."

Her big trouble has always been her ego. She and her brother Warren Beatty are both very talented but they are both world-class narcissists. Warren was at least quite smart and became an excellent producer. There are many extremely intelligent actresses in Hollywood (like Susan Sarandon), but Shirley isn't among them.

by Anonymousreply 13602/03/2013

[quote]I've never understood. SM's career. She's unattractive (weasly eyes, pinched pale face), not a great actress and not such a good singer/dancer.

I never understood it either. And in interviews, she's ALWAYS come off as a mean bitch. Never liked her one bit.

by Anonymousreply 13702/03/2013

No r134, Shirley's treated Sachi like crap for no reason. Sachi has a lots of reasons to retaliate against Shirley. It's like telling people if they hate bigots, they're just as bad as bigots. It's stupid, Shirley deserves to be hated and she deserves this book.

by Anonymousreply 13802/03/2013

What does Barbra see in her????

by Anonymousreply 13902/03/2013

"And in interviews, she's ALWAYS come off as a mean bitch."

Indeed. Wouldn't you think such a superb actor could pretend, for a few minutes, to have a scrap of human warmth and decency?

by Anonymousreply 14002/03/2013

In a similar vein, Candy Spelling, Hollywood wife extraordinaire, seems unusually cold toward Tori.

It's like she resents her for being the ugly duckling. Tori is no great beauty but certainly not ugly.

As far as being a failure, she's gone her own way. None of the 90210 alums went on to great stardom. Tori and Shannen have done reality shows, the others act or direct occasionally, whatever. Arguably the least talented, Brian Awsome Queen, is best known for Megan Fox.

I guess there may be more that's gone down between Candy and Tori that we don't know, but she's not a total fuck up which seems to be how her mother views her. Strange family dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 14102/03/2013

Considering her other child is Randy Spelling, Candy can hardly think of Tori as the ugly duckling.

Candy herself, for that matter, is no beauty queen. And let's face it, when your dad is Aaron Spelling, it would take a miracle to escape the fugly gene

by Anonymousreply 14202/04/2013

R138= Warren Beatty.

Calm down, Mary. Good people don't "retaliate", they go on with their lives and try to find happiness in their own way. Lots of people don't inherit millions, and yet they somehow manage to survive. Even thrive! This is incredibly dysfunctional. She should move on. But it's a big sign that she inherited her mother's character if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 14302/04/2013

I'm not sure whether to view this as retaliation, but rather as the other side of the story to a self-absorbed, self-seeking faux spiritualist. MacLaine created her own little publishing zeitgeist capitalizing (if not helping to create) the rebirth/psychic/spiritualist movement of the mid to late '80s. Satchi is simply providing a counterpoint and evidence that it might just have been symptomatic of her mother's narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 14402/04/2013

The fact that Shirley MacLaine didn't pay for her daughter's education ,and her daughter worked through college, is not uncommon.Many of the rich and famous think making their kids work for things the end result that would come from that would be they won't turn out to be spoiled rich brats they will be level headed human beings. However, I think some of them get so paranoid that they go the other extreme. I'm not saying this was the case with Shirley MacLaine and her daughter, I'm just saying this might be the possibility?

Also, another thing that comes to mind. I know this going to sound very stupid ,but I wonder if Shirley MacLaine's daughter in reality, told her mother she was writing a book about her life growing up and asked her mother if she could make up some juicy stuff so the book would sell very well and her mother might have said go ahead. Sometimes when people write their autobiographies they throw in a bunch of stuff to make their book more interesting for the reader. This is just a guess.

I never did like Shirley MacLaine ,and I agree with those on this thread that they got the impression of her like she comes off as mean. I agree that celebrities should never have children. They say if you want to make it to the top in that industry, you have to make your career the main proity, and your famliy the last priority in your life. It's stupid to have children and work in that business. You can't have everything.

In the case of Bette Davis's daughter, BD, I have read and heard she was just a spoiled brat. I once read when BD was on her own married and had children, she bitched that she didn't have a swimming pool. Her mother took some crappy roles on TV to buy BD and her family a swimming pool. I think in the case of Lana Turner, she generally loved her daughter,and she wasn't vicious to her daughter at all ,but she screwed up as a parent. Cheryl Crane seems like she truly loved her mother despite her mother's flaws.

One of the reasons why Shirley MacLaine bombed in her character in Downton Abbey was because the British portray Americans as a pain in the ass, obnoxious, overbearing, no class, etc. I have watched a lot of British films, TV shows, TV movies, etc. and whenever they have an American character, they are always negative.

by Anonymousreply 14502/04/2013

Shirley did kind of disappear quickly from Downton Abbey. From all the buildup, it seemed like she was going to be there for half the season, if not for the whole one. But it was just two appearances, not much happened, no big fights with Maggie, and - I don't recall, did they actually have a goodbye scene for her?

by Anonymousreply 14602/04/2013

Team Sachi

by Anonymousreply 14702/04/2013

Dirty rat ungrateful little spoiled brat. How DARE she write a nasty book about her mother who has lives many past lives and in one she was a queen!

Piss on her! Don't watch that garbage. Shirley is OK. No wonder she didn't want to be around her miserable daughter! NO Wonder!

by Anonymousreply 14802/04/2013

I don't think it was greed and I don't think it was spite that made Sachi write the book. I think she is trying to get her mother's attention any way she can, hence the book being sent with the loving note. Will it work? Yes and no.

by Anonymousreply 14902/04/2013

I have to say I liked Sachi after the interview. Although it was not flattering to SM, she didn't sound like she was mean or wanted revenge, just a very hurt daughter.

She had some minor success. A while back there was a Japanese language news program done in the US and she was the female anchor and did a very good job speaking impeccable Japanese.

by Anonymousreply 15002/04/2013

I have met Shirley and she is a very smart yet distant personality...I can see how a mother daughter relationship would be difficult for her. Fame in H'weird makes a person very selfish and unfortunately she should never have had a daughter with Steve.

We all have ulterior motives. Thats life folks. As nice as Sachi seems...I am sure there are deep seated hurts that are being expressed through this. The love letter seems very two faced to me...why do you have to write a book?

Putting it in language Shirley would understand, it seems very "Karmic".

by Anonymousreply 15102/04/2013

SM always gave off a cold bitch vibe. Never liked her, and definitely never will now.

by Anonymousreply 15202/04/2013

Sachi is a single parent with two kids to support.

Some people make movies for money, some write books.

by Anonymousreply 15302/04/2013

Some people do both.

by Anonymousreply 15402/04/2013

It sounds like SM really was a cold, bad parent. She must have realized that at some point Sachi could write a "tell all" like this. I don't blame the daughter at all.

by Anonymousreply 15502/04/2013

Who will play Shirley in the movie version?

I really want to know.

by Anonymousreply 15602/04/2013

You would think that Shirley would be a doting grandmother

by Anonymousreply 15702/04/2013

Let's start a petition for Debbie Reynolds to play Shirley in "Postcards from Space".

by Anonymousreply 15802/04/2013

BREAKING Shirley Maclaine waited outside bedroom with sex gurus as daughter lost virginity

Sachi and her boyfriend, Brad, were invited to the Maclaine's California beachfront flat where she claims that she met her mother's sex therapist friends, Phyllis and Eberhard Kronhausen.

She wrote that Phyllis told Maclaine that it would be a fabulous opportunity for Parker to have her first introduction to sex with all three present as a support group and they could talk about it later and validate her feelings.

As Parker flushed with embarrassment, she said that her mother declared that it was a wonderful idea and they were there to help her.

Parker, 56, said that she was helpless in opposing the three "powerful" adults, and "felt like Mia Farrow surrounded by the satanists in Rosemary's Baby."

"Once our mission was accomplished, we had to face the next hurdle: reporting back. We hid out in the bedroom until we heard a light knock on the door, and Mom's voice, 'Is everything OK in there?'" she wrote.

by Anonymousreply 15902/04/2013

I wonder what Shirl's upbringing was like. It's interesting that neither she nor Warren Beatty could make a LT relationship work for most of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 16002/04/2013

I never understood what the Rat Pack saw in her. I can understand why they let Angie Dickinson hang around, but those were not the type of men who would go for a woman of Shirley's modest looks be so associated with them.

by Anonymousreply 16102/04/2013

[quote]You would think that Shirley would be a doting grandmother

You think becoming a grandparent is the cure for narcissism?

by Anonymousreply 16202/04/2013

Regarding the Tori/Candy Spelling relationship - Candy does not approve of homewreckers like Tori. And was really pissed that Tori turned into one. She's mellowed a lot more with all the grandchildren & has been opening her purse for them btw.

by Anonymousreply 16302/04/2013

Candy was a bitch to Tori long before Tori met her husband.

by Anonymousreply 16402/04/2013

r164 was she? Candy seems old school, like Joan Rivers. My gran was like that. It's dealable. Can you explain more about the Tori/Candy relationship?

by Anonymousreply 16502/04/2013

Just wow.

by Anonymousreply 16602/04/2013

I have met both Sachi and Shirley. R151 is half right. Shirley is distant, but I wouldn't call her smart. Superior perhaps. Sachi has always seemed eager to please, and who can blame her? Can't she tell her story and still love her cold and neglectful mother? And can't she still see her mother's good side, even if we can't? Nothing is black and white.

by Anonymousreply 16702/04/2013

R165, earlier in the thread another poster talked about how Candy withheld affection from Tori because she wasn't pretty enough to suit Candy. It's hard to fathom Candy married a hideous man and expected a beautiful daughter, but there it is.

Candy probably played emotional games like that with Tori throughout her life because that's not something that comes on suddenly. If so, Tori is better off without her.

by Anonymousreply 16802/04/2013

I thought Aaron Spelling discarded his first wife in favor of Candy.

by Anonymousreply 16902/04/2013

Rita Mae Brown said that Shirley ran away from her like a bat outta hell because she didn't want to be photographed with her -- guilt by association.

by Anonymousreply 17002/04/2013

R151, years ago, when I read BD's book, I also thought that BD came off as a spoiled brat who complained that her mother loved her too much and did too much for her: a fancy wedding, a farmhouse, a mink coat -- all the things her deadbeat husband couldn't give her. Still, I also got the feeling that her gifts were meant as a rebuke to BD for picking a lousy husband against her mother's wishes. And, like a character in one of her old movies, Davis saw her daughter's marriage as an abandonment and a betrayal. On top of all this, it must have been galling to her that unlike her own marriages, her daughter's marriage lasted.

by Anonymousreply 17102/04/2013

R167...NO, she can't. Because she's not just "telling her story", she's SELLING her story. For cold, hard cash. She's publicly humiliating her mother, deserved or not. That's only love if you're a raging drug addict or alcoholic.

She could go on with her life. We didn't all have perfect parents who showered us with money and gifts. Most gay people didn't get unconditional love and support from our parents. Yet we went on with our lives and didn't worry about what we didn't get. We created our own families, and found love by giving it to others (which is why a lot of gay people are in helping professions).

So mommy didn't make her rich. Boo hoo. There are truly abused children who grow up to become compassionate, loving people who contribute greatly to society. She just seems like a loser, whining because she didn't get the money she felt she was entitled to. Not that her mother isn't a horrible bitch, because that's also true. But she's a little old to be playing the victim. She's had plenty of time to build a life for herself, and to leave selfishness behind.

by Anonymousreply 17202/04/2013

Not deserved "or not" r172, it's deserved, period. I hope the book sells like hotcakes and Sachi makes a ton. The book exists and will be released, stamping your little feet about it isn't going to change it.

by Anonymousreply 17402/04/2013

That's pretty judgmental, R172. Are you one of those "compassionate, loving people"?

by Anonymousreply 17502/04/2013

R172, the only problem I have with your judgment is that you reserve all of it for the daughter and none for the mother.

by Anonymousreply 17702/04/2013

R172 is clearly an eldergay. Times have changed, fortysomething.

by Anonymousreply 17802/04/2013

None of us has read the book yet; we don 't know whether it's judgmental. Is civil discourse permitted on DL? If so, let's engage after we've read it.

Take the high road, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 17902/04/2013

If Sachi has a story to tell that interests the oublic, why shouldn't she tell it? And reap the rewards?

Shirley has always encouraged Sachi to be independent and industrious, earn her own money and make her own way in the world so Shirley is getting just what she deserves.

I'd also like to say I find it just hilarious how we are all making judgments on Sachi and Shirley and NONE of us have yet read the book!

by Anonymousreply 18002/04/2013

I was a QUEEN in one of my past lives. I do not need this SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 18102/04/2013

R172 - 176 sounds like a Scientologist.

Is that you, Tommy? Tell your batshit crazy mom hello for us.

by Anonymousreply 18202/04/2013

Wow, 183, 182,178,177... You sound like the one who's batshit crazy, hon.

I did criticize the mother, dear. ?But you're truly nuts.

by Anonymousreply 18402/05/2013

See, I knew civil discourse wasn't dead on DL!

by Anonymousreply 18602/05/2013

If I were Shirley I would have bent over backwards to make it up to my daughter for neglecting her. She is more concerned with her past lives than she is with this one. Sad, sad sad.

I hope Sachi makes a lot of money and Shirley will finally go out on a limb and and give her daughter the time of day.

Remember, it worked for Loretta Young who finally did right by her daughter after she wrote a book.

As an aside, I liked Shirley on Downton Abbey.

by Anonymousreply 18702/05/2013

I'm torn.

On the one hand, SM never claimed to be a good parent, or pimped her child out for publicity. She frankly admitted that she shipped her daughter to Japan because she placed her career first.

So,right off the bat, lacking from the Sachi book is the "here's the real story" hypocrisy hook.

Otoh, I can't shake Sachi's story about being abandoned by both parents during the holidays.

It's just like Dicken's Ebenezer Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol" when he is taken back to his childhood boarding school by the Ghost of Christmas Past. Of course, the difference here is instead of a sisiter to rescue her it's a family she doesn't know taking her in.

That Shirley MaClaine and Steve Parker would perpetrate such neglect is abuse and MaClaine deserves public condemnation for it. Too bad Parker is dead and is spared from it.

by Anonymousreply 18802/05/2013

Loretta Young fucked up royally. I mean she was on another level.

by Anonymousreply 18902/05/2013

I don't think this woman wrote the book to rake her parents over the coals. I really don't. Shirley has already owned up to the arrangement, so there are no surprises. She's not telling what hasn't been told -or at least assumed.

by Anonymousreply 19002/05/2013

Girls, if you're going to attack each other by referring to previous posts, please learn how to do it properly so we can actually read the past posts in your current post! TIA!

(just write "R" or "r", then the number of the post you're referring to, without a space in between)

by Anonymousreply 19102/05/2013

Why shouldn't the daughter make money off the abuse she suffered? Shit I wish everyone could! Plus it opens up the dialogue about child abuse further again. That's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 19202/05/2013

I know Loretta lied to her daughter that she was an orphan - but you can sort of understand. It was the early 1930s, Gable was married, and she didn't want to abort her child.

The only other option she could have entertained was marrying a man she didn't love just so she could officially be pregnant. That would have spared Judy thinking she was adopted.

But Loretta didn't mistreat Judy otherwise, did she?

by Anonymousreply 19302/05/2013

[quote]I know this going to sound very stupid

One thing right in all that, R145.

by Anonymousreply 19402/06/2013

R194, do the universe a favor and sit on a land mine with a smile!!!

by Anonymousreply 19502/06/2013

I bent over backwards to make it up to Ben for James neglecting him, R187.

We have no secrets.

by Anonymousreply 19602/07/2013

Shirley MacLaine is pissed!

MacLaine slams daughter's tell-all By WENN.COM t tt Share on facebook Share on stumbleupon Share on live Share on fark More Sharing Services

Shirley MacLaine. (FayesVision/WENN.COM)

Actress Shirley MacLaine has taken aim at her daughter Sachi Parker’s new memoir, insisting it’s “dishonest” and “virtually all fiction”.

Parker opens up about her relationship with the Downton Abbey star in the book Lucky Me: My Life With - and Without - My Mom, Shirley MacLaine, and throughout the tome she describes the 78-year-old as an absentee mum with tough-love parenting techniques and delusions about aliens.

The 56-year-old knew the project would only make their relationship more strained, but she felt compelled to tell her story, saying, “I did everything I could to bring Mom into my life. The Hollywood ending never happened. Now that I’ve written this book, it probably never will.”

And now the movie veteran has spoken out to condemn the book, insisting Parker, who is also an actress, just made sensational claims to get publicity.

A statement from MacLaine to People magazine reads, “I’m sorry to see such a dishonest, opportunistic effort from my daughter. (It’s) virtually all fiction.”

by Anonymousreply 19802/08/2013

Diahann Carroll wrote a book a few years back where she was open and honest about neglected her daughter.

She says now she has worked hard to repair their relationship and be a great grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 19902/08/2013

Why don't these people HIRE someone to take care to their children????

by Anonymousreply 20002/08/2013

Shirley MacLaine now says her daughter is an opportunist.

by Anonymousreply 20102/08/2013

Do the math, Shirley Maclaine partied a lot, and had a bad case of the open leg syndrome in which she had sex with guys like there was no tomorrow. Also, she was very career focused through out most of her life.So a parent who lives her life like a single woman who has a sexual addiction issue would obviously be an awful parent because she was too self involved with self gratification in every way. Where was the room for raising a child in all of this? Even in Shirley MacLaine's autobiography she portrays herself as self absorbed to an extent,and now she is mad at her daughter who basically is reflecting what her mother basically claimed already.BTW, at least her daughter wrote the book when the mother is alive.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if Shirley MacLaine had a fling with JFK because JFK had sex with many actresses,and sex to Shirley was no big deal to her.

Shirley MacLaine's body is on planet earth ,but her mind is lost in some galaxy.

by Anonymousreply 20202/09/2013

In the 20/20 interview, she says it was at a Christmas break that her parents failed to collect her from her boarding school; however, in the book itself she says it was at an end-of-year, i.e., summer, break. Odd discrepancy...

by Anonymousreply 20302/11/2013

I'm half way thru the book now and Sachi is far too kind to both asshole "parents". Steve Parker was a verbal and emotional mental abuser who ,at best was sexually inappropriate with his daughter and likely ,at worst,molested her. Shirley is a selfish ,unstable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20402/15/2013

In the 20/20 interview they spoke to Sachi childhood friend from Japan who confirms most of the stories.

by Anonymousreply 20502/15/2013

Steve Parker would have Sachi in his bed & he'd spoon with her while he had a hard on. He'd also walk around the house totally nude. How inappropriate is that !

Sachi has major issues due to her emotionally detached, apathetic parents, and as such, has made numerous poor decisions.......all in hopes of being rescued, and loved, by mommy or daddy.

by Anonymousreply 20602/22/2013

I read a few pages from this book in a bookstore today. If it's true then it's amazing that Sachi Parker isn't a raving lunatic confined to an asylum, considering her truly horrible parents. There are some people in this world who should NEVER have children and Shirley MacLaine and Steve Parker are two prime examples.

Shirley MacLaine is depicted as as totally self-absorbed and career-oriented, hilariously nutty, temperamental, stingy, foul-mouthed and a total failure as a mother. She was NEVER THERE. All she cared about was her career and her own desires; her daughter never came first.

And Steve Parker...well, he was an incredible liar and involved in all kinds of illegal activities. In addition, he was a sick creep who verbally and sexually abused his daughter. Here are some of the things that Sachi Parker claims he did:

She said that he would ask her "are you wearing underwear?" She'd say yes. He'd say "take it off." She would ask why and he said "it's good to air your vagina." He liked her to not to wear any underwear.

He always wanted her to unbutton the top buttons of any top or shirt she was wearing when they were in public. He chided her for her small breasts ("two fried eggs, coming up!", he'd say) but wanted her to expose what cleavage she had.

He took her to see the play "Hair" when she was 12 years old. She thinks it probably wasn't the best entertainment for a 12 year old child, but that he probably thought it was a really "cool" and "hip" thing to do.

He would play what he called "the tickling game." He would tickle her, dig his fingers into her, even though she hated it and it felt, "awful, awful."

He also played "the licking game." He would "lick my arms, legs, feet..." She said that it felt good and that she felt guilty about it feeling good, like child abuse victims frequently do.

He would slow dance with her in clubs, with his hand on her behind, squeezing it.

He would tell her "you can stay with me" and she would sleep in the same bed with him, feeling his erection stabbing into her butt as they "spooned." She was go to her own bed after he was asleep and would slip back into his bed before he woke up, as as to "not hurt his feelings."

by Anonymousreply 20702/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 20802/24/2013

Does anyone have a link to Sachi's 20/20 interview?

by Anonymousreply 20902/26/2013

I'm with r172. At some point, adults who had a shitty childhood have to accept it and move on, not let it define who they are.

by Anonymousreply 21002/28/2013

But R210, this story is beyond fantastic. The fact that Shirley thought she was married to a clone while her real husband was hiding out in a far corner of the universe, and that she funnelled $60K a month to the clone to send to NASA to keep her husband in orbit, which he of course spent on himself. Just too funny. If I were Shirl, I wouldn't want that out there either.

I loved the book and if I was subjected to a childhood like that (she says it's a biological impossibility that Steve Parker was her father because of her blood type, so she has no idea who her real father is), I'd milk it for all it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 21102/28/2013

I like her in that movie with Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette.

by Anonymousreply 21202/28/2013

[quote] At some point, adults who had a shitty childhood have to accept it and move on

Who says she hasn't accepted it and moved on?

She every right to tell her story and make money off of it.

by Anonymousreply 21302/28/2013

Did she say anything about The Exorcist?

by Anonymousreply 21402/28/2013

My father is a clone ... of Shirley's new age beliefs. He ran off when we were in our teens and spent those years being taken for a ride by every new age charlatan with sucker radar. When I read the book, I could totally relate to what Sachi must have felt like. Although I never witnessed my old man in an all male orgy, thank Gawd, I still remain shocked that Dad (a shrink, natch) actually believes that the government downloads secret information about every time you use your ATM card. I developed, like Sachi did, a very real new-age phobia based on the new age "gurus" who took advantage of my Dad, and encouraged him to forget about his family because he was on an important spiritual quest.

by Anonymousreply 21502/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!