Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scott Brown not running for John Kerry's Senate seat

WASHINGTON -- Former Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.) will not run in the Massachusetts special election to replace John Kerry, multiple outlets reported Friday. The Senate confirmed Kerry as secretary of state Wednesday.

The conservative-leaning Boston Herald was the first to be told that Scott wasn't running. "U are the first to know," he sent in a text message.

Brown released a statement Friday outlining his reasons. "Over these past few weeks I have given serious thought about the possibility of running again, as events have created another vacancy requiring another special election," he said. "I have received a lot of encouragement from friends and supporters to become a candidate, and my competitive instincts were leading in the same direction.

"Even so, I was not at all certain that a third Senate campaign in less than four years, and the prospect of returning to a Congress even more partisan than the one I left, was really the best way for me to continue in public service at this time. And I know it’s not the only way for me to advance the ideals and causes that matter most to me."

After losing to Elizabeth Warren in 2012, many expected that Brown would run for the seat vacated by Kerry. Republicans made an all-out push to get him to run, because he easily would have been the strongest candidate against a Democrat. However, Brown would have had to run for reelection again in 2014 for a full term, meaning that he would have had four elections in four years.

The speculation for Brown goes to the 2014 gubernatorial race, which he did not rule out in the statement. Massachusetts voters have been more receptive to elect Republicans to state office than federal office, and Gov. Deval Patrick (D) has said that he will retire at the end of his term.

Brown also drew attention the week prior to his announcement when he unleashed a flurry of incoherent text messages early Saturday morning, aimed at his Twitter critics. "Your brilliant Matt," "Whatever," "Bqhatevwr," he tweeted.

Brown's exit leaves the Republican bench for Senate wide open. Former Gov. Bill Weld (R) moved back to the state from New York, but the once-popular governor suffered a seven-point defeat to Kerry, then a senator, in 1996. Former Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey (R) hasn't ruled out a run, but she served with former Gov. Mitt Romney (R), who is tremendously unpopular in the state.

On the Democratic side, Reps. Stephen Lynch and Ed Markey are battling for the nomination. Markey has the backing of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and top Democrats in the state including Kerry, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) and Victoria Kennedy. Lynch is banking on support from organized labor to propel him to victory, despite being against abortion rights and voting against President Barack Obama's health care law.

Lynch, who had been hitting Brown Thursday in his campaign rollout, released a conciliatory statement Friday after news that Brown would not be running. “I understand Scott Brown’s decision. He has basically been campaigning non-stop for three years. It’s perfectly understandable that he wouldn’t want to undertake another campaign. I wish all the best to Scott and his family," he said.

The primary is April 30 and the general election is June 25.

This is a developing story.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013

He pings big time.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

How so, R1?

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Translation: There's no way I was going to win.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Translation: Hilary, I'm coming after you.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

R4, I assume that's a joke!

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Any Bay Staters care to chime in?

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2013

Maybe gay Richard Tisei will run. He's a lot better looking than Barney Frank. Tisei narrowly lost race for Congress in MA in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2013

R2, he is goodlooking, and likes to be photographed naked, so that is enough for me to think he "pings".

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2013

I think Brown is going to run for governor when Deval Patrick's term is up. That's the only office a Republican can win in the state of Massachusetts with any consistency. If he were to run for Sen. he would have to run again in three years which would mean he ran for Senator four times in six years. That's got to be tiring. Now he can rest and then run for governor in two years.

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2013

The GOP is going to be angry with Brown for this decision.

Maybe they won't support him when he runs for Governor.

by Anonymousreply 1002/02/2013

[quote]Translation: Hilary, I'm coming after you.

I think he's going to run for President in '16. I think the Republicans actually believe they hurt her chances with the hearing last week and see her vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 1102/02/2013

Brown is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

R11, you've got to be kidding me.

1. Brown is a DEFEATED Senator. He currently has no office and no title. How is he supposed to run for President when he couldn't even hold a Senate seat for a full term?

2. Brown is WAY too liberal to win a Republican primary for President. Pro-choice, in favor of gays in the military and from Massachusetts? You think he could ever win the nomination?

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

R13 - I remember some other guy from MA who gave us the original version of Obamacare, and claimed to be pro choice and a better friend to gays than Ted Kennedy. He got the GOP nomination.

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

1. Romney had served a full term as Governor.

2. Romney had the $ to buy the nomination.

3. Romney had been the runner up to McCain.

by Anonymousreply 1502/03/2013

There's no way Brown could be nominated - Christie stands a better chance than he does!

by Anonymousreply 1602/03/2013

I think he will run for Governor, only effective way to distance himself from the Republican extremes in Congress. MA state legislators will keep him "moderate" just like the never permitted Mitt to pass a Republican agends. In the Senate Brown is a big reason The Dream Act didnt pass ... and he co sponsored the Blunt Amendment. He wants his voting record forgotten

Then he might make a play for 2020 when Republicans MIGHT embrace moderate to finally win. But then again Iowa & South Carolina likely kill any less insane possibilities

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

Didn't he sell real estate before?

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

[quote]my competitive instincts were leading in the same direction.

What a great reason to run! His intellectual heft would serve the Senate well.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

Any DLers here from MA? What is the talk about this in the state this weekend?

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

A governor's seat is the better prospect for someone with Presidential ambitions, gives him good executive experience.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

True, R21, but Brown won't becoming President anytime soon, if ever.

If Brown becomes Governor it will be because he wants to do so for its own sake, not because he expects it to lead to being President.

It's very, very unlikely that the Republicans are going to nominate another person from Massachusetts in the near future, particularly one who is pro-choice and in favor of gays in the military.

by Anonymousreply 2202/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!