Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Japanese food

l've started learning more about it and really love it. The simplicity is lovely, and the pickling found in many dishes is new to me. I've always loved sushi, but the rest of Japanese cuisine also has a special appeal. I think that it and the Mediterranean diets must be the healthiest ethnic cuisines there are.

I'm starting to make bento boxes. Great for portion control, and so kawaii when decorated.

Any favorite Japanese dishes, cookbooks, or (LA) restaurants?

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

I would suggest you not eat Japanese food because of possible nuclear contamination. The Fukushima nuclear catastrophe happened in 2011. A massive amount of nuclear material was released and nuclear material continues to be released to this very moment. You can't be sure if the product comes from Japan. Many Japanese food suppliers and restaurants get their food from Japan.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

When I lived in San Jose, Ca., there was an great big Japanese supermarket near my apartment - the Mitsuwa Marketplace! It had a noodle bar and a sushi-and-bento counter, as well as imported foods and high-quality fresh stuff. I loved dropping by the bento counter for a grilled-mackerel-and-cold-rice takeout lunch, there's nothing that where I live now.

Check it out if you're in the Bay Area, and don't mind a little radiation.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Mitsuwa is great. There is one on Venice and Centinela in L.A. Lots of restaurants inside in addition to pre-packed food. I stock up on roasted green tea when I go there.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Yes, I like Mitsuwa and Marukai, the former especially for blocks of sashimi meat.

R1, do you think that veggies in US Japanese markets come from Japan? That would be most concerning to me.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

I do miss good Japanese curry rice. And gyoza and good tempura.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

OP there are tons of Japanese markets in LA. Try Little Tokyo or Sawtelle Bl.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

Has anyone tried Santa Ramen or Ramen Dojo?

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

I don't eat fish but I love Japanese food. I always substitute the fish for another meat when I make it at home. My favorites are pulled pork nigiri, chicken sashimi, and beef tempura.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

THE FOLK ART OF JAPANESE COUNTRY COOKING is a lovely somewhat obscure book that gives a lot of history and goes into the philosophy of traditional Japanese cooking. It's pretty fascinating. I wish it had photography though.

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

I agree with R1.

I'd be especially leery of Japanese seaweed used in sushi making.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.