Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

God, I hated the 80s. Worst decade ever.

Worst president. Worst frikking holocaust (plague) Worst music (hideous punk rock trying desperately too hard to carve a new generational identity in a post-disco world) Worst fashion (feathered hair on women and mullets)

no wonder that generation is fucked up and bitter.

by Anonymousreply 24004/12/2015

'80s music wasn't the worst. Not by a long shot.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

All hail the OP, Queen of Eldergays!

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

OP you were listening to the wrong music. Venture out.

by Anonymousreply 302/02/2013

[quote]Worst frikking holocaust (plague)

I think the actual Holocaust in the 1940s might have been just a tad worse, no?

by Anonymousreply 402/02/2013

When is OP going to reach puberty and start using words like "Fucking"?

by Anonymousreply 502/02/2013

I stay up late just for drunken, nonsensical posts like these!

by Anonymousreply 602/02/2013

OP = 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 702/02/2013

Broadway was awesome in the 1980s -- and tickets were under $40!!!

by Anonymousreply 802/02/2013

I hated the eighties, too. Everything was so superficial, so meaningless, so trivial.

Ronald Reagan was President. AIDS was rampant. Madonna came upon the scene. Nobody gave a damn about anything but money. I know every decade has its horrors, but the eighties was in a class by itself. I don't think there was ever a decade that worshipped avarice and selfishness like the eighties did.

by Anonymousreply 902/02/2013

[quote] I don't think there was ever a decade that worshipped avarice and selfishness like the eighties did.

Apparently you must not know many young people from this decade.

The 80's was all about FUN and excess. The entitled assholes in our current decade are much, MUCH worse. Greedy, selfish, me me me me generation. Give me tje 80's any day.

by Anonymousreply 1202/02/2013

What r12 said -- in the 80s you could be a Gordon Gekko if you wanted to be, but you didn't [bold]have[/bold] to be in order to survive, like now.

by Anonymousreply 1302/02/2013

How COULD you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1402/02/2013

[quote]Too bad OP didn't get AIDS and die.

Lovely, r10. Back at ya turd breath.

by Anonymousreply 1502/02/2013

The first generation to know it wouldn't do better than their parents.

by Anonymousreply 1602/02/2013

The fashion was tacky as hell, but it was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 1702/02/2013

Both my parents grew up in the eighties. They loved it. It's ok if you hated it op, but not everyone did.

by Anonymousreply 1802/02/2013

R18 the late 80s style and big hair was fucking ridiculous!

However women looked MUCH better and were smoking hot (Priscilla Barnes for instance) in the early 80s, which had more of 70s feel, the Farrah do was still popular and it's one of the most flattering hairstyles on women and it's not that dated. The huge hair, shoulder pads and drag queen look of the later part of the decade is extremely dated.

by Anonymousreply 1902/02/2013

suck my pulsing asshole r15

by Anonymousreply 2002/02/2013

"The 80's was all about FUN and excess."

"Fun?" What was "fun" about it? As I recall, people were dying like flies from AIDS in the eighties. You call that "fun?"

It WAS all about excess, though: greed and money and partying. Wasn't that how Reagan was elected? "It's morning in America!" Spend, spend, spend! Party like there no tomorrow! Of course all that shit eventually hit the fan what with the country and its citizens drowning in debt and the Great Recession and the housing crisis and everything else. But I guess it was "fun" while it lasted.

by Anonymousreply 2102/02/2013

Fashion historians, HOW did '80s fashion evolve into what it did? It was just fucking atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 2202/02/2013

Only stupid people don't understand that fashion is arbitrary. And they always think that whatever came before now was worse because it's not currently accepted.

by Anonymousreply 2302/02/2013

[quote]no wonder that generation is fucked up and bitter.

Who are the 80s generation exactly? What age did you have to be in 1985 to be 'that generation'?

by Anonymousreply 2402/02/2013

I love that OP equates AIDS and feathered hair in his post--as if they were both equally catastrophic.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

Every decade has had its share of shit, but 2000-2005 tops any list by far. The absolute pits:

A Stolen election

The SARS outbreak and Anthrax scares

The Iraq War and the McCarthy-esque "You're with us or against us" bullying.

Hurricane Katrina and the third world nation that New Orleans became.

All of this in under five years.

And we still haven't recovered.

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

Don't forget all the gay bashing -- led by empowered fundies.

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

The 2000s decade was worse.

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

I agree R26, it wasn't a very auspicious start to a new century., was it?

But for some strange reason 2000-05 don't seem as nasty as the '80s. Not as cold and deeply unattractive.

The '80s to me are like a person with B.O.

Even without AIDS I'd LOATH them and I'm old enough to remember them from Jan 1, 80 to Dec 31, 1989

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

R22's that for real or is it a spoof?

This video captures the gorgeous '80s just as well.

'EVERYONE' started to look like Rod Stewart in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

The US and the world heaved a sigh of relief when Bush left office. The 2000s was Bush era and the worst decade in modern history. We were living "1984." There is nothing positive that I can think of from 2000-2008.

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

R29 As horrific as the AIDS outbreak was (and it should never be forgotten) there was a still a sense of hope that if people fought and banded together, change could be done. By the late eighties, things were starting to turn around, albeit slowly. But hope and optimism were alive. And the media wasn't as "Biased" in their coverage, to put it nicely.

The early 2000's, by contrast, were cynical, mean spirited and downright ugly. You had a blatant stolen election that was literally swept under the rug in front of our eyes. You had overwhelming evidence that the Iraq War was a mistake, but anyone who dared to question anything was labelled a terrorist sympathizer. SARS outbreak, snipers. And a Republican government that was pracitcally defiant in their agenda. Has there ever been another adminstration that made no bones in not giving a shit about the people than the Bush administration? Even Reagan made somewhat of an effort to act like he cared.

People were out there protesting, and it's like they didn't exist, thanks to a Republican owned media.

Terrible all around. When you have people who grew up during the turblent sixties saying they never imagined anything like this, that should tell you something about how bad it was.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

r32 not to mention that if you dare to be critical of Bush, your career literally went up in flames because of fanatics, and the President stayed silent through it all.

The only thing I hope because learn for the 2000s is never again.

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

The 80s were only good if you had money. It was the time of the Yuppie. The time of "Greed is Good". The time of excess.

If you didn't have money, "trickle-down economics" often missed you, but nobody cared.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

I agree with OP, the 80s were awful. Thank god they're long gone.

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

The 2000s were all thanks to Raygun.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

Well, historians have pointed out that Reagan restored the country's morale, allowing people to believe that personal wealth and big accomplishments were possible again.

By 1979 the national spirit was in the toilet. (See Carter's "crisis of confidence" a.k.a. "malaise" speech.)

Don't get me wrong: I believe that Reagan was evil and that Carter is a great humanitarian, but history-in-the-moment is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2013

[quote]However women looked MUCH better and were smoking hot

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2013

The 80s gave us this song which is probably the best song of the last 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

[quote]The fashion was tacky as hell, but it was a lot of fun.

Everybody looked like an inverted triangle.

Agree with all who say 80's was bad but 2000's were worse. At least people had money in the 80's and real estate was cheaper.

2000's had all the shortcomings of the 80's, plus bigger terror and no money.

Everything went to pits after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

"Everybody looked like an inverted triangle."

YES!! Volume and width on top, skinny and streamlined on the bottom. Everything I wore had shoulder pads, or was severely tapered.

See link for my hairstyle, which was truly atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

It seems like we're having 2 conversations in this thread. Those who judge a decade by its politics and those who judge it by its culture.

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

[quote]It seems like we're having 2 conversations in this thread. Those who judge a decade by its politics and those who judge it by its culture.

What's wrong with either or both?

by Anonymousreply 4302/02/2013

[quote]Fashion historians, HOW did '80s fashion evolve into what it did? It was just fucking atrocious.

In the very late 70s glamour made a comeback (after the earthy fashions of the 1970s). Punk and New Wave took this theme and mocked it, by over-accessorizing, over-padding, over-layering. Fashion reflected the more is good and big is better theme... big shoulders, big hair, big bold colours and baggy shirts and sweaters, but always with a spirit mocking traditional good taste. It was basically the clown version of opulence, a 'fuck you' to the wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

OP, Frankie Says Relax

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

One of the nice things about the 80s is that Manhattan was still relatively affordable, and the Disneyfication/shopping mall shit hadn't started yet.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

1980 was the greatest year in music,and movies - you had excellent disco, metal, punk, new wave, country, and pop all at the same time. You had the movie Fame, and a host of other great films that I am too lazy to list. And alot of models and hot celebs were young at that time. There were great restaurants such as Mr Chows and the clubs were great too. There was uptown and downtown, 2 distinct socio economic locations

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

I was just a little kid in the 80's, so I only remember a little bit of it. I think there were some great movies, music, and TV shows from that time, but it must have been hard being a gay teen or adult back then with absolutely NO equal rights. It was hard enough being a gay teen in the 90's, so I can only imagine how hard things were previously.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

Boys II Men appeared in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 5004/24/2013

Feathered hair was more a 70s thing. The 80s were short and spiky, then big big BIG!

by Anonymousreply 5104/24/2013

AM radio only? B&W movies? Are you being serious, R49?

by Anonymousreply 5204/24/2013

I'm grateful that I was born in the '80s, so that I didn't have to remember any of that awfulness and I got to enjoy a '90s childhood instead.

The early '00s were bad, but as a gay man, I would 100 x prefer to have lived through the entire 2000s multiple times than deal with the death, plague and homophobia of the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 5304/24/2013

R49 makes it sound like 80s were an apocalyptic decade which nobody survived but him being born born in `92 is the proof they have.

by Anonymousreply 5404/24/2013

Knots Landing, Dynasty, Dallas, Falcon Crest - the 80s were fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 5504/24/2013

r49 is clearly a joke post. No "diversity" in music? The 80s was when there actually WAS diversity in music. The music industry actually allowed songs to be hits without them "featuring" some ignorant rap interlude.

by Anonymousreply 5604/24/2013

F&F for R10.

Toss out the trash.

by Anonymousreply 5704/24/2013

R49 is 21 years old. Doesn't know his ass from his elbow.

by Anonymousreply 5804/24/2013

I was born in the late eighties so I don't remember much about it. However, I do like a lot of the music from that era. I kind of agree R19. I was looking at a photo of Gia Carangi from the early eighties and I thought it was interesting that she didn't look very dated at all.

by Anonymousreply 5904/24/2013

I think this song by Lisa Lisa

I Wonder If I Take You Home

by Anonymousreply 6004/24/2013

Actually my guess is that r49 is quite old and claiming otherwise. References to "Liza" and "Barbra" using only one name? That's coming from an olderly.

r49 is what's known as a contrarian bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6104/24/2013

And Ready For The World's "Oh Sheila" are an example of fun catchy songs from the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 6204/24/2013

I also like this song a lot. I think the 80s had great music.

A-Ha "Take On Me"

by Anonymousreply 6304/24/2013

R49, I beg to differ. I was born in '65 and was there.

Good Movies: The Empire Strikes Back, Airplane!, Raiders of the Lost Ark, American Werewolf in London, Thief, Superman II, Blade Runner, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, The Road Warrior, Return of the Jedi, Terminator, This is Spinal Tap, Back to the Future, To Live & Die in L.A., Breakfast Club, Aliens, Ruthless People, Platoon, The Fly, Lethal Weapon, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Die Hard, A Fish Called Wanda, Naked Gun, Batman, Lethal Weapon II. None of the films you named were considered among "the best." Home Alone was 1990.

Good Music: U2, David Bowie, AC/DC, Queen, Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Depeche Mode, New Order, Front 242, Ministry, Danzig, Slayer, Duran Duran, Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne, Rush, Huey Lewis & The News, Rolling Stones, Prince, INXS, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Heart, etc.

Good TV: M*A*S*H, Magnum PI, WKRP in Cincinnati, Taxi, Barney Miller, Newhart, Cheers, Miami Vice, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Hart to Hart, Golden Girls, Police Squad!, The Equalizer, Knots Landing, Dallas, Dynasty, Hill Street Blues, etc.

Note: Bellbottoms, feathered hair, platform shoes were the 1970s.

TV Channels: In 1980, when I was 15, we already had 30 channels (including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, CNN, etc.) and had since the late '70s. TV and movies were in color at that time, Mr. Misinformed. In addition, we had VCRS to watch movies on.

8-Track tapes: Were being phased out by 1980. We had records, cassettes, and yes, CDs.

KC & The Sunshine Band & Liza: Not the '80s. KC was the '70s. So was Liza, for the most part.

Boyz II Men: the 90s.

Radio: We had AM & FM radio. Both were broadcast in stereo.

Disco music was mostly passe by the 80s.

For every ugly car, house or building, there were 10 beautiful ones.

Read a book or google the fucking 80s before you speak, mate.

by Anonymousreply 6404/24/2013

[quote]Worst music

OP, have you turned on the radio in the last 13 years? Must not have, because you would realize that 80's music was WAAAAY better than all the AutoTuned shit you hear now.

by Anonymousreply 6504/24/2013

People always talk about the terrible '80s fashions. The early '80s weren't actually that bad. I look back at photos and that part of the decade was rather conservative. The second half of the '80s was the big hair, parachute pants, mullets, huge earrings, shoulder pads, etc.

I was just a jeans, T-shirt, and tennis shoes kind of guy in the '80s. I look back and don't really cringe. I still dress that way now. I just have less hair. I was never a flamboyant/trendy dresser. The people who followed the trends were the ones who look silly in retrospect. Same as today.

by Anonymousreply 6604/24/2013

R65 I agree. Autotuned music is so stale and bland. I like a lot of modern songs, but the production is just overpowering and stale. I hate the drum sound on virtually every album since the late 1990s. It does not sound natural. Drums used to sound like drums, even when they were electronic. Now, not so much.

Everything seems too polished and freeze-dried. The brick-walling of sound is really irritating too. No dynamics. No subtleties. Just a wall of noise.

by Anonymousreply 6704/24/2013

Oh and I love a lot of the songs from this particular group. It's fun and catchy and better than a lot of the music we have today.

Morris Day And The Time- "Jungle Love"

by Anonymousreply 6804/24/2013

r66, you're right, trendiness always looks ridiculous in any decade. It's just that stupid people pretend that whatever is currently trendy is somehow less ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 6904/24/2013

R64, you have the worst taste in America.

MOVIES Out of your enormous list, these were acceptable: Back to the Future, Breakfast Club, Platoon,

This were good: To Live & Die in L.A.

You left out: 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ordinary People, Raging Bull, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Top Gun, ET, Do the Right Thing, and on and on and on.

To quote you, "None of the films you named were considered among "the best."

MUSIC Your list contains not one thing I'd listen to, not even with your ears.

TV I didn't watch TV until 1988. All I know you missed are thirtysomething and LA Law.

And bellbottoms were from the '60s, you boob.

by Anonymousreply 7004/24/2013

For all the 80s lovers (like me), here's your thread:

by Anonymousreply 7104/24/2013

A gift awaits Oh, Dear in R70.

by Anonymousreply 7204/24/2013

I hate the 80s too. Mainly because I recently found out that my VERY serious girlfriend at the time (we were living together, etc), and who would later become my wife, was cheating on me all through college. So yeah, pretty much anything from 85-90 reminds me that our relationship was an utter fucking lie.

by Anonymousreply 7310/28/2014

The fashion for both men and women was extremely ugly. What I hated the most, were the shapeless, oversized clothes (harem trousers!), the male mullet and the permed or quasi-punky hair for women. I was 15 when the 80s ended and I remember being incredibly glad when January 1,1990 happened. I personally think the period between 1920 and 1970 was the most aesthetically appealing time period. As for politics: it has sucked throughout mankind's entire history.

by Anonymousreply 7410/29/2014

Those who disparage the 80s are just jealous: we had more fun during the 80s than all the other years put together. God, did we have a good time.

by Anonymousreply 7510/29/2014

[quote]KC was the '70s.

Na na na na na na na na na no.

Baby give it up, give it up, baby give it up.

by Anonymousreply 7610/29/2014

Sad and bitter that pop music is more diverse and eclectic than it was 35 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7710/29/2014

Let's take a vow, shall we? Our vow for 2015 is NO MORE '80s THREADS.... EVER!

I was born in 1995. I cannot relate to the '80s.

The movies... All sucked except for Out of Africa, Ordinary People, Dirty Dancing, and Reds.

The music... It ALL sucked. A bunch of squawky disco singers, lame sugar pop, screechy heavy metal, and synthesizer garbage. At least the '90s had good musics.

The literature... was there any?

The TV shows... All sucked, especially the lame-ass Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Dynasty, and Golden Girls that you all seem to worship.

Other reasons for the '80s ban... AIDS, Reagan, Republicans, terrible pop culture, terrible fashion, terrible hair, etc.

Please, friends. Do us all a favor. No more '80s... ever!

by Anonymousreply 7801/06/2015

I loved the '80s. I'm with R64. Granted, shit happened in the '80s. Not all of it was good. AIDS sucked. The republican led government was a downer, but there were a lot of good times. I was in my teens and twenties during the '80s and I have some awesome (totally awesome!) memories.

R78, you dislike the '80s, you say, because you A) weren't there, and B) don't get it. I was born in 1965. I did not live in the '50s, however, I love much from that decade. Lots of great music and movies from the '50s. If you think those four movies were the only good ones in the '80s, you haven't seen very many movies.

by Anonymousreply 7901/06/2015

R78, you bumped this two-year-old thread to say "No more threads like this one."

You make no sense.

by Anonymousreply 8001/06/2015

Good '80s music: Madonna, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Depeche Mode, Rick James, U2, INXS, AC/DC, Crowded House, Go-Go's, R.E.M., Flock Of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Metallica, Rush, Husker Du, Cyndi Lauper, Van Halen, Def Leppard, Soft Cell, Billy Idol, Judas Priest, New Order, Prince, Devo, Blondie, Cheap Trick, Guns & Roses, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, and thousands more...

Movies: The Goonies, Back To The Future, Raiders Of Lost Ark, Indiana Jones & Temple Of Doom, Aliens, Batman, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Ordinary People, This is Spinal Tap, Airplane, Naked Gun, Fish Called Wanda, Sixteen Candles, No Way Out, Near Dark, Gremlins, Top Gun, Hannah & Her Sisters, Star Trek 2,3 & 4, The Quiet Earth, The Fly, Drugstore Cowboy, Terminator, Empire Strikes Back, Breakfast Club, Terms of Endearment, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Blade Runner, Superman 2, Tootsie, Mad Max 2: Road Warrior, Excalibur, Caddyshack, Do The Right Thing, Witness, Return Of The Jedi, The Shining, Pale Rider, Untouchables, Blood Simple, Rain Man, Die Hard, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Dressed To Kill, Used Cars, Thief, The Killing Fields, Places In The Heart, Gandhi, Paris Texas, Sid & Nancy, Nightmare On Elm Street 1, 3 & 4, Return Of The Living Dead, Re-Animator, Scarface, When Harry Met Sally, Princess Bride, Roxanne, Planes Trains & Automobiles, All Of Me, Arthur, Stripes, Private Benjamin, Raging Bull, Coal Miner's Daughter, The Evil Dead.... and tons more.

by Anonymousreply 8101/06/2015

[quote]Good '80s music: U2, Go-Go's, R.E.M., Husker Du, Cyndi Lauper, Blondie...

[quote]Movies: Ordinary People, This is Spinal Tap, Airplane, Sixteen Candles, No Way Out, Top Gun, Hannah & Her Sisters, Drugstore Cowboy, Breakfast Club, Terms of Endearment, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Tootsie, Do The Right Thing, Witness, Blood Simple, Rain Man, The Killing Fields, Places In The Heart, Gandhi, Paris Texas, Sid & Nancy, Scarface, When Harry Met Sally, Roxanne, Arthur, Stripes, Private Benjamin, Raging Bull, Coal Miner's Daughter,...

Oh, and you left out the best movie of the 1980s, St. Elmo's Fire.

by Anonymousreply 8201/06/2015

Worst President, that's for sure. Worst style, yes but I loved the music and still love it.

by Anonymousreply 8301/06/2015

To me, Hip Hop is the worst music, probably because I'm older. I never enjoy Hip Hop. I guess it reminds me of music from the '50s, which I hate.

by Anonymousreply 8401/06/2015

There was plenty of great stuff in the Eighties.

My fave ‘80s movies: Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Top Gun, The Goonies, Heaven Help Us, Pretty In Pink, First Blood, Rambo – First Blood, part 2, Stand By Me, Mannequin, Streets of Fire, Angel, The Dresser, The Outsiders, Moscow On The Hudson, Popeye, Good Morning Vietnam, Dead Poet’s Society, Platoon, Born on the 4th Of July, St. Elmo's Fire.

My fave ‘80s music: Bruce Springsteen, Starship, Heart, Dire Straits, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, Dionne Warwick, Cher, Bette Midler, Chicago, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, The Outfield, The Bangles, Bananarama, Dream Syndicate, Air Supply, Sheena Easton, Vanity 6, Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Bonnie Tyler, John Mellencamp, The Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, NWA, Wang Chung, Nu Shooz, Simple Minds, Taylor Dayne, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Jermaine Stewart, The Nylons, Matthew Wilder, Sheila E, The Time, Pat Benatar, Stacy Q, Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond, Ambrosia, Charlene, Wham!, George Michael, Hall ‘n’ Oates, Glass Tiger, Grace Jones, Boys Town Gang, Lime…

by Anonymousreply 8501/06/2015

The 80s were a fun time to be a teenager. MTV owned a piece of all of our brains!

But I can only imagine it was a living nightmare for urban gay men one generation older than us '80s teens.

by Anonymousreply 8601/06/2015

R81, I love your list of movies (some great ones on there, buckaroo), but, personally, I would also add “Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade,” “Brazil,” “Bronco Billy,” “Blow Out,” “The Right Stuff,” “Eating Raoul,” “Maurice,” “Body Heat,” and “An Officer and a Gentleman.” To be definitive for me. Great list, though.

by Anonymousreply 8701/06/2015

Most.Boring.Datalounge.Topic.Ever. Yaaaaaawn.

OP: Ron Reagan Jr? Patti Davis? Larry Kramer?

by Anonymousreply 8801/06/2015

Love love love love the 80's. Grad H.S., started college, made friends I'm still in constant contact all over the world, the start of the fall of eastern european communism.

Concerts i attended: Thompson Twins, Howard Jones, OMD, Duran Duran, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode, Madonna, REM, B-52's, Siouxie S, New Order, Police, more but can't remember.

Loved Nick Rhodes. Wore hair, make-up and clothes like him. Wanted to marry Pete Burns...yes he once was hot!!!

First trip to NYC to visit my friend at F.I T.

Met Iman while there! Also Downtown Julie Brown kissed me!

Went to europe twice, lived 6 mo. in Europe, lived in Brussels Belgium.

Got laid by a guy for first time!! I came without him even touching my we did it a few more times!

So much more! So many more incredible memories and stories. Gotta call some friends from 80's now!

Thanks for the thread, original OP! Sorry your life sucks. Hopefully you've killed yourself and we don't have to deal with your whining ass! LOL!

by Anonymousreply 8901/06/2015

R49, you sound like an absolute idiot.

by Anonymousreply 9001/06/2015

And you, R90, suffer from terminal bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 9101/06/2015

No good literature, R49? That just proves how much of a dolt you are. There were so many seminal novels and non-fiction books that came out in the 80s, it would take me hours to list them all. Not to mention the rise of the American short story.

As I said previously, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 9201/06/2015

I take that back, R92. The 1980s was the best decade for literature in my lifetime. Gay male lit, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 9301/06/2015

I don't recall much of that time after early Dec '80 or so...

How odd, was I on some kind of bad trip again?

by Anonymousreply 9401/06/2015

The ‘80s were awesome for me, though I understand why it would have been a horror for many gay men. I lived in a smallish city in Florida, and was fortunate to have been untouched by the scourge of AIDS (at least until the period of 1991-1998, then I lost many, many friends). Life for me was fairly carefree. I was very aware of the plague and made sure I took precautions. I wish many of my friends had done the same.

I have so many great memories. My friends and I were all at our hottest. Nights cruising the strip and beach with my buddies - jamming AC/DC, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Joan Jett, The Police, and Rush. Hanging with friends at the beach, Spring Break every year, dancing until 4 A.M. at my favorite club to the hits of Duran Duran, New Order, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, Devo, Billy Idol, Erasure, Madonna, Prince, etc., partying and just being young (I was 16 in 1980 and 25 in 1989). Lots of cable-tv channels (with far fewer commercials than today), I loved “Night Flight” on USA Network. It was better than MTV, even though I loved “music-era” MTV.

The movies were fun and all had a certain charm. TV was, in my opinion, at a nadir in the ‘80s. There were a few good shows, but most were crappy sitcoms (like Webster, Full House, The Facts of Life, Family Ties, Diff’rent Strokes, It’s A Living, Joanie Loves Chachi, etc.). I rarely watched TV anyway, except for Magnum PI, Dynasty, Miami Vice (it was on Fridays so I recorded it on the VCR), Hill St. Blues, St. Elsewhere, Newhart, Cheers, and China Beach. I still think of the ‘80s and smile. The ‘90s? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 9501/06/2015

The fucking music was amazing: ABC, ABBA, AC/DC, Adam & The Ants, Adam Ant, Aerosmith, Aldo Nova, April Wine, Asia, Autograph, Bananarama, Bangles, B52’s, Beastie Boys, Billy Idol, Billy Squier, Black Sabbath, Blondie, Blue Oyster Cult, Bon Jovi, Book Of Love, Bronski Beat, Bruce Springsteen, The Call, The Cars, Cheap Trick, Cher, The Church, Cinderella, The Clash, The Cure, Cyndi Lauper, Danzig, Devo, Depeche Mode, Dio, Dokken, Duran Duran, Echo & The Bunnymen, E.L.O., Elton John, Erasure, Fates Warning, The Fixx, Foreigner, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Front 242, Gary Numan, Genesis, George Michael, The Go-Go’s, Godley & Crème, Guns N’ Roses, Hall & Oates, Heart, Husker Du, INXS, Iron Maiden, J. Geils Band, Janet Jackson, Joan Jett/Blackhearts, Journey, Judas Priest, Kansas, Kiss, Kim Carnes, The Kinks, Krokus, Lita Ford, Loverboy, Lords Of Acid, Madonna, Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth, Michael Jackson, Midnight Oil, Ministry, Motley Crue, Motorhead, New Order, Nine Inch Nails, Night Ranger, Outfield, Overkill, Ozzy Osbourne, Pat Benatar, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Pointer Sisters, Police, Prince, Quarterflash, Queen, Queensryche, Quiet Riot, R.E.M., Rainbow, Ramones, Ratt, Replacements, Rick James, Rick Springfield, Robert Palmer, Robert Plant, Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Rush, Sammy Hagar, Samhain, Savatage, Scorpions, Skinny Puppy, Slayer, Smithereens, The Smiths, Soundgarden, Styx, Survivor, Testament, Triumph, Twisted Sister, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, U2, Van Halen, W.A.S.P., Wang Chung, Wham!, When in Rome, Whitney Houston, X, Y&T, Yaz, ZZ Top…

by Anonymousreply 9601/06/2015

[quote]A small portion of the music in R96's list was amazing: Blondie, Bronski Beat, Bruce Springsteen, The Cars, The Clash, Police, R.E.M., Ramones, Replacements, Whitney Houston.

Some was moderately alright: Cyndi Lauper, The Go-Go’s, Husker Du, Kim Carnes, The Kinks, Pink Floyd, Pointer Sisters, Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Smithereens, The Smiths, U2, Wang Chung.

The rest of your list sucked moose cock, R96.

by Anonymousreply 9701/06/2015

I feel deep embarrassment for anyone who actively participated in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 9801/06/2015

My fave rave groups and acts – Cher, Romantics, Lone Justice, Madness, Josie Cotton, Moon Zappa, The Waitresses, Jackson Browne, Psychedelic Furs, Altered Images, The Monroes, Bow Wow Wow, Bette Midler, Kim Wilde, Berlin, Missing Persons, REO Speedwagon, Feargal Sharkey, UB40, Sparks, Plasmatics, Romeo Void, Split Enz, Supertramp, Bobby McFerrin, Eddie Money, Blotto, Suicidal Tendencies, Debbie Harry (solo – I hated Blondie with passion), Jefferson Starship, Starship, Blancmange, Real Life, Expose, Gang Of Four, Public Image Ltd, Wham, and Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

by Anonymousreply 9901/06/2015

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - saw in Tampa, FL. But my fav album of theirs, 'Sexplosion', came out in '91. (close enough...)

Communards, Jimmy Summerville, Gene Loves Jezebel, Nina Hagan (New York, NEW YOOORK), Scritti Politti, Peter Schilling, Violent Femmes

'We are going to another disco......'

by Anonymousreply 10001/06/2015

Would someone be a dear and start a thread where people could post favorite 80's music vids?

by Anonymousreply 10101/06/2015

1) Magnum, P.I.

2) M*A*S*H

3) Miami Vice

4) Star Trek – The Next Generation

5) WKRP In Cincinnati

6) Barney Miller

7) Taxi

8) Soap

9) Newhart

10) Cheers / Married… With Children

Also, The Equalizer, SCTV, Saturday Night Live (1986-1990), Golden Girls, Designing Women, V, Police Squad!, St. Elsewhere, China Beach, Hill Street Blues.

by Anonymousreply 10201/06/2015

Too bad Madonna didn't get aids and die.

by Anonymousreply 10301/06/2015

Can someone identify this 80's song - it was a disco track from 1988 or 1989 - "In the City"?? And the dancers in the video were trannies? The song had a kind of tribal fashion show beat - was released about the same time as Buffalo Stance and Edelweis, and they used to play it all the time at C-Street on Halsted in Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 10401/06/2015

Ten Awesome ‘80s Movies:

Aliens (1986)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Airplane! (1980)

The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Back To The Future (1985)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Blade Runner (1982)

The Shining (1980)

Return of the Jedi (1983)

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

Also, Ghostbusters, Batman, Lethal Weapon, The Evil Dead, Near Dark, Superman II, The Changeling, Clue, This is Spinal Tap, A Fish Called Wanda, The Naked Gun, Die Hard.

by Anonymousreply 10501/06/2015

THESE WERE THE ONLY GREAT/QUALITY/INTELLIGENT MOVIES OF THAT WRETCHED DECADE: Moonstruck, Reds, Hope & Glory, Chariots of Fire, The Color Purple, Hannah & Her Sisters, Making Love, Ordinary People, Out of Africa, Room with a View, My Left Foot, Gandhi, The Dresser, Passage To India, Pennies from Heaven, French Lieutenant’s Woman, Places in the Heart, Silkwood, The Mission, A Room With A View, Broadcast News, A Chorus Line, The Accidental Tourist. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS POPCORN, FLYOVER EXCREMENT MADE FOR RUBES AND TRASH. STICK RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK AND STAR WARS UP YOUR KAZOO! I HATE POPCORN, WHITE TRASH MOVIE FARE! MY LIST ACTUALLY REQUIRED AN I.Q. ABOVE 75.

Musically, Barbra was still putting out quality fare. I loved Vangelis. He was great, even his music for that popcorn Blade Runner space crap. Cher was at the top of her game. I worshiped Frank Sinatra, still a stunner in the '80s. Other great ones: Sheena Easton, Bernadette Peters, The Nylons. Everything else was music for rubes.

by Anonymousreply 10601/06/2015

r106, you're a snob.

But I'm sure you know that already.

by Anonymousreply 10701/06/2015

R106's movie list is the best yet. I loved:

Chariots of Fire

Ordinary People

Broadcast News

I liked a lot:

Hannah & Her Sisters

Making Love

Out of Africa

Room with a View

My Left Foot

Places in the Heart

by Anonymousreply 10801/06/2015

R106 I agree with everything you said in your post except the inclusion of "broadcast news" to the list of "Intelligent movies"

"Broadcast news" was white trash movie fare!

by Anonymousreply 10901/06/2015

R104. Are you talking about the group Inner City?

I can't think of what you are referring to. Any other details?

by Anonymousreply 11001/06/2015

Maybe R104 is talking about the '88 remix of "Hot in the City" by Billy Idol?

by Anonymousreply 11101/06/2015

R110, R111, Gawd don't you hate that - trying to remember a song, from a one-hit wonder, no artist, sucks - not Inner City (Big Fun, though it was that same time frame, yes), not Billy Idol - I recall that the dancers in the video were, in fact, trannies/cross-dressers - they were filmed in silhouette against a white background - the beat was unmistakable, I can even hum it right now, but what good will that do me. I should try and get my hands on a tablet with Shazam. One piece of the lyric I recall was "... In the city" and then the signature beat... Damn...

by Anonymousreply 11201/06/2015

I loved the 80s for the most part. Don't really get the music thing. 80s music is pretty broad. Did you not seek out anything different?

by Anonymousreply 11301/06/2015

[quote]80s music is pretty broad. Did you not seek out anything different?

Yes. Classical.

by Anonymousreply 11401/06/2015

I love how posters are just proving that that decade sucked.

by Anonymousreply 11501/06/2015

R113. Music pretty much defined the 80's in regards to movies, fashion, pop culture, TV, etc.

If you are talking about 'didn't you sit around contemplating the universe?' and 'why weren't you protesting the plight of the Mexican grape picker', then no, most of us didn't because most of us posting now were in high school and college at the time.

Although I did take Chaucer, Milton, Shakespeare, among other while in college. But I studied while listening to XTC and I looked fabulous with my black eyeliner and broach pinned to my thrift store jacket.

by Anonymousreply 11601/06/2015

[quote]I looked fabulous with my black eyeliner and broach pinned to my thrift store jacket.

R116 flunked spelling. Too much eyeliner.

It's "brooch."

by Anonymousreply 11701/06/2015

R117. You are the one that has scoured each post looking for errors in order to post some snarky reply.

Are you always this unlikable or did you just find out you have full blown AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 11801/06/2015

Exactly, r49 is too young to have an opinion.

Go to bed, junior.

by Anonymousreply 11901/06/2015

The '90s gave us Caroline in the City, The Macarena, Batman & Robin, flannel and President Bush.

by Anonymousreply 12001/06/2015

Music of the 1990s was so much better = Paula Cole, Meredith Brooks, Alanis Morrissette, Smash Mouth, Spice Girls, NSync, Backstreet Boys, Sugar Ray, Everclear, Jay Z, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, Brandy, Monica, Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Dr. Dre, Beck, Spin Doctors, Counting Crows, Goo Goo Dolls, Liz Phair, Notorious B.I.G., Weezer, Hootie & The Blowfish, Dave Matthews Band, 2 Pac, TLC, Oasis, Pulp, Coolio, R Kelly, Sublime, Hanson, Third Eye Blind, Chumbawamba, Deep Blue Something, Celine Dion, Puff Daddy, Michael Bolton, Britney Spears, Lauren Hill, Blink 182, Shania Twain... much better than crappy 80s.

Wimpy 80s sucked shit. 90s rules forever.

by Anonymousreply 12101/07/2015

So what, R118? You liked the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 12201/07/2015

R121, Your list is not much of a defense for the '90s. You have nothing "edgy" on there. All you've listed is a bunch of lame sugar pop and Top 40 garbage. The '90s had some awesome stuff, but not the pablum mainstream garbage you have listed. I love both the '80s and the '90s, but I would give the edge to the '80s for edgy, envelope pushing, and influential music.

by Anonymousreply 12301/07/2015

The nineties ushered in the world we endure now -- after the Wall fell in 1989, it was all over.

Notice how things have improved since we are mad at the Russians again? Cheap gas is just one example.

If we don't have an outside enemy, we start turning on each other, and tha is what the last 25 years have been about.

by Anonymousreply 12401/07/2015

I was born in 1965 and I loved the '80s. I had a blast! Great tunes, great movies, great friends, great times!

by Anonymousreply 12501/07/2015

I started gay life (going out, hooking up) late 80s. Small town boy in the big city, thought the video bars with dance floors were beyond awesome. I always think of this song and the super hot guy when I think of the 80s. The bars played the video over and over.

by Anonymousreply 12601/07/2015

R126, oh yeah! I'd totally forgotten about that one, thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 12701/07/2015

I hated the 80s, too.

by Anonymousreply 12801/07/2015

Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Madonna, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Queen, New Order, Ac/Dc, Rush, Cyndi Lauper, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Van Halen, The Cure, Madonna, Prince, Springsteen, ZZ Top, Danzig, and Erasure... Those acts defined the '80s for me.

by Anonymousreply 12901/07/2015

How about Prince, The Cars and R.E.M.?

by Anonymousreply 13001/07/2015

R102, I LOVED "Police Squad!" - LOL. Its sequel -"The Naked Gun" - is my favorite comedy ever!

by Anonymousreply 13101/07/2015

The Cars were at their best in the 70's. Late 70's.

by Anonymousreply 13201/07/2015

R126, '80s gay clubs were amazing. I loved the video bars.

by Anonymousreply 13301/07/2015

[quote]no wonder that generation is fucked up and bitter.

This irony is so rich, it must be fattening.

by Anonymousreply 13401/07/2015

Except for Springsteen, R129, poor you.

by Anonymousreply 13501/07/2015

My '80s = Devo, Blondie, The Clash, The B-52's, The Police, The Fixx, Stray Cats, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, U2, INXS, The Cure, Adam & The Ants, The Vapors, Gary Numan, XTC, Ramones, David Bowie, The Go-Go's, Madness, Oingo Boingo, Boomtown Rats, Rolling Stones, X, Cheap Trick, Joe Jackson, A Flock of Seagulls, Rush, ABC, Modern English, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Lene Lovich, etc.

by Anonymousreply 13601/07/2015

R135, What the fuck did you listen to in the '80s? Chicago? Air Supply? I love R129's list. Those were some of my faves too.

by Anonymousreply 13701/07/2015

R121 must be a troll post. Smashmouth? The spice girls? You should be embarrased.

80s pop was very innovative. 90s? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 13901/07/2015

10% return on my tax free municipal bonds.

The 80s were fucking fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 14001/07/2015

Where did you people hear most of the music you are posting? Most of what's posted is far out of the main-stream. I remember Madonna, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, and Springsteen being played a lot on the radio, but I never cared for any of them.

In the '80s, I listened what was on my FM station of choice. Some off the top of my head: I loved Huey Lewis & The News (the only hard rockers I ever cared for), Stevie Wonder, Chicago, Bonnie Tyler, Juice Newton, Eddie Rabbitt, Air Supply, Elton John, Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Julio Iglesias, Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, Dionne Warwick, Cher, Bette Midler, Ashford & Simpson, Richard Clayderman, James Ingram, Paul McCartney, Sergio Mendez, Al Jarreau, Crosby Stills & Nash, Tina Turner, Boz Scaggs, Irene Cara, Donna Summer.

Those were really the mainstream artists who sold albums by the millions. Like I said, a few others like Madonna and Prince were big with the teeny-bopper set, but were not played on adult radio. I was in my 20's and 30's in the 1980's and did not care for whatever was on MTV. Acid Rock/Metal were popular with the unwashed degenerates, but most of those bands did not sell particularly well, as I recall.

I remember a few teens who tried to be "on the edge" liked Depeche Mode and the like, but those bands were not played on mainstream radio and did not sell in large numbers in the U.S. I suspect a few of you are trying to look "cooler" than you actually were in the '80s. Sure, you all listened to Mettalica, Madonna and The Cure. I'm so sure.

What I listed is what was played on adult radio and Top 40 shows like "Solid Gold." Main-stream is called main-stream for a reason. It's what we all liked.

by Anonymousreply 14101/07/2015

Oh, please, R141! Are you my mom? That's what she listened to in the '80s. She was in her late 30's and early 40's and that was HER music. I was in my teens and twenties during that decade and I did listen to Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Cars, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, and Madonna. Millions of us did. All of those acts were massive sellers (yes, even in the U.S.).

I did not care for most metal (acid rock was a '60s term, by the way), but millions did. Acts like Metallica, Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, Scorpions, Kiss, Motley Crue, Rush, AC/DC, etc. sold in the tens of millions in the '80s and packed arenas around the world (including the U.S. - which is where they did much of their business).

You obviously never ventured away from Adult Contemporary stations on your radio dial. Get a clue!

by Anonymousreply 14201/07/2015

R141, Huey Lewis and the News were not even close to "hard rock." They were a very mainstream pop band. A decent band, but far from hard rock.

by Anonymousreply 14301/07/2015

There was a lot of great music in those days. From a black perspective, some of my favorites were 2 Live Crew, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Public Enemy, LL Cool J, Run-DMC, Fat Boys, N.W.A., Salt n Pepa, M/A/R/R/S, Jermaine Jackson, Prince & the Revolution, Rick James, Teena Marie, Pointer Sisters, Zapp/Roger, Stacy Lattisaw, Stephanie Mills, Kool & The Gang, Billy Ocean, New Edition, Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown, Marvin Gaye, Martha Wash, Kurtis Blow, Ms. Diana Ross, Donna Summer, Nenah Cherry, DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, Just-Ice, Nice & Smooth, Jungle Brothers, The Time, Too Short, Kool Moe Dee, Ice-T, MC Lyte, Eazy-E, Big Daddy Kane, Whodini, Geto Boys, Young M.C., and many more.

by Anonymousreply 14401/07/2015

R141. Not bad. I actually laughed out loud at a few parts. Post more like this in other threads!

by Anonymousreply 14501/07/2015

Android lounge music:

by Anonymousreply 14601/07/2015

by Anonymousreply 14701/07/2015

My favorite horror movies from the '80s (with apologies to Oscar-bait movie snobs):

1. An American Werewolf in London - 1981

2. The Evil Dead - 1981 (wide release 1983)

3. Return of the Living Dead - 1985

4. Near Dark - 1987

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street - 1984

6. The Changeling - 1980

7. Re-Animator - 1985

8. Fright Night - 1985

9. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - Dream Warriors - 1987

10. Friday the 13th - 1980

Favorite non-horror films: The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, A Fish Called Wanda, Airplane!, Terms of Endearment, Aliens, Big Trouble in Little China, The Terminator, and Back To The Future.

So, there!

by Anonymousreply 14801/07/2015

I was born in '63, so I was in my prime in the '80s.

My favorite musical artists were - Alan Parsons Project, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Cure, Ministry, Genesis, Metallica, The Smithereens, Steely Dan, Bruce Springsteen, Husker Du, The Replacements, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Madness, The Smiths, U2, INXS, Duran Duran, Saga, Rush, and Golden Earring.

Movies: Lost in America, Local Hero, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Thief, The Empire Strikes Back, Batman, Lethal Weapon, Lethal Weapon 2, Superman II, Repo Man, The Quiet Earth, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Brazil, Airplane, Naked Gun, Heavy Metal, Excalibur, The Abyss, On Golden Pond, WarGames, Ferris Bueller, and The Dresser.

TV? Not much. I was too busy partying and living it up as a young gay man. I did love 120 Minutes on MTV and Night Flight on USA. I liked Fridays, Saturday Night Live (after early 80s slump), SCTV, and Cheers. I watched a lot of TV in the '70s but checked out around 1981 and did not start watching again until the mid-'90s.

by Anonymousreply 14901/07/2015

I agree, Reagan was the worst thing that ever happened to the country. The end of the middle class and the takeover by the super rich. The world will never be the same.

by Anonymousreply 15001/07/2015

Best '80s movies...

Chariots of Fire - best and most exciting movie ever made. Period.

A Room With a View

Out of Africa

Sophie's Choice

Places in the Heart

Hannah and Her Sisters - the only great comedy of the decade.

Ordinary People - a little over-rated but still wonderful.

The Natural - I loathe most sports movies but this was a winner.

The Eighties were a wasteland for movies (thank Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas for that). I preferred the theatre. Broadway was astounding in the 1980s. I could go on all day about it (and I have on our Broadway threads). Like I said, I mainly went to live theatre in NYC and read great literature.

by Anonymousreply 15101/07/2015

R151, Chariots of Fire, exciting? Jeezus. I fell asleep while trying to watch that thing back in '81. I tried again on TV a year or so later and fell asleep again. That movie was about as exciting as watching grass growing or paint drying.

by Anonymousreply 15201/07/2015

Gawd, R151, your movie list is the equivalent of horse tranquilizers.

by Anonymousreply 15301/07/2015

Talking Heads, Bowie, Martha & The Muffins, Oingo Boingo, The Waitresses, Joe Jackson, The Pretenders, The Cars, Blondie, Scritti Politti, X, Yaz, Yello, Devo, Madness, U2, Go-Gos, B52s, Split Enz, Sparks, Toni Basil, ABC, Katrina & the Waves, Soft Cell, Kraftwerk, Naked Eyes, Simple Minds, Elvis Costello, Vapors, Gary Numan, Los Lobos, Billy Idol, Romantics, The Knack, Iggy Pop, Dexy's Midnight Runners, David Johannsen, Smiths, Blotto, Bauhaus, Lene Lovich, The Nerves, The Cramps, Josie Cotton, Bow Wow Wow, Kim Wilde, Adam Ant.

by Anonymousreply 15401/07/2015

What production. Now this is the jam. Liquid LSD not included:

by Anonymousreply 15501/07/2015

Best music ever = Duran Duran, Human League, ABC, Kajagoogoo, Soft Cell, Wham, and Culture Club.

by Anonymousreply 15601/07/2015

In goes Ordinary People, thanks for the idea r151.

by Anonymousreply 15701/07/2015

What R151 said.

by Anonymousreply 15801/07/2015

Let's not forget

Road Warrior

Blade Runner

The Hunger

by Anonymousreply 15901/07/2015

My favorite films of the 1980s:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade

Empire Strikes Back

The Dark Crystal

The Princess Bride

Blade Runner

Runner Up: Star Trek II, III, and IV.

by Anonymousreply 16001/07/2015

[quote]What [R151] said.

Uh, no. Except for Ordinary People, that list is a boring dreary mess.

by Anonymousreply 16101/07/2015

Uh, no, R161. You must be a boring, dreary mess.

by Anonymousreply 16201/07/2015

r151, r158 and r162 are obvious prisses.

by Anonymousreply 16301/07/2015

[quote][R151], [R158] and [R162] are obvious prisses.

I'd say they're majoring in pretention, minoring in priss.

by Anonymousreply 16401/07/2015

Music: USA for Africa, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Michael Jackson, Rick James, and Run-DMC.

Movies: The Color Purple, The Last Dragon, Do The Right Thing, Beat Street, Mississippi Burning, Coming To America, Purple Rain, Breakin', Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, The Wiz.

TV: Cosby Show, 227, A Different World, The Jeffersons, Webster, Diff'rent Strokes, What's Happening Now?

by Anonymousreply 16501/07/2015

R165, LOL. I bet it would actually be Molly Hatchet, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Oak Ridge Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Loretta Lynn, and Alabama under music. LOL. We love KKKelt though.

by Anonymousreply 16601/07/2015

The '80s were tubular to the max. Like, Ohmigod! Fur sure. Totally.

The '90s? Like barf out. Gross me out the door. Gag me with a spoon!

by Anonymousreply 16701/07/2015

I hated the 80s, too.

by Anonymousreply 16801/07/2015

Olivia Newton-John owned 1980-1984.

Madonna owned 1984-1989 (and beyond).

by Anonymousreply 16901/07/2015

College at UT in Austin, Texas (1983-1987). Best time of my life. I loved the '80s. Austin had lots of hot gay studs in those days. Yummy. Lots of hot muscular blonds.

by Anonymousreply 17001/07/2015

I was born in 1972. I was a kid in the '80s but I have great memories. Seeing E.T., Dark Crystal, 16 Candles, The Goonies, Back To The Future, Explorers, Batman, playing with my friends, great neighborhood, terrific family and friends. I miss the simplicity of my life back then.

by Anonymousreply 17101/07/2015

R169, Please. Olivia Newton-Bore? Grandmadonna? It was Janet Jackson, all the way bitches!

by Anonymousreply 17201/07/2015

Another 80s thread? Hasta la vista, baby.

by Anonymousreply 17301/07/2015

R154 R156 You left out THE best.

by Anonymousreply 17401/07/2015

R151 was here yesterday all over this thread. He was insulting anyone who didn't listen to classical music or read the actual literary classics. In addition, he would point out any post in which the poster had incorrectly spelt a word or used a wrongly placed comma.

A real joy.

by Anonymousreply 17501/07/2015

Eurythmics, bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 17601/07/2015

R161, Ordinary people was awful. It depressed the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 17701/07/2015

Ah, the '80s. My first love (summer of 1981) was a hot blond who looked just like Leo Ford (much smaller cock though). I loved him so. I'm friends with him a Facebook now. I wish we could re-kindle.

by Anonymousreply 17801/07/2015

It is depressing, but so many are.

"Karen's dead..."

by Anonymousreply 17901/07/2015

Cameo, Slave, Dazz Band, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18001/07/2015

The early 80s punk was great - "Argy Bargy," "Eastside Story", "Evidently Chickentown". Then music got mainstream & mediocre (Madonna), just like the country.

by Anonymousreply 18101/07/2015

My twenties. The best time of my life. I turned 20 on Jan. 2, 1980 and 30 on Jan. 2, 1990. I lived it up and had the time of my life... cautiously, of course. I made it through happy and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 18201/07/2015

[quote]Ordinary people was awful. It depressed the shit out of me.

It had Timothy Hutton in a Speedo, and that's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 18301/07/2015

[quote]The 80s gave us this song which is probably the best song of the last 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 18401/07/2015

Also, he had a blue v-neck sweater just like one I owned, R183.

by Anonymousreply 18501/07/2015

[quote]Madonna owned 1984-1989 (and beyond).

I don't think so.

Miss Jackson came along in 1986 and swooped down on the music industry in all her dressed-up-to-here-in-black-dom and wrecked shop for the next decade and a half.

by Anonymousreply 18601/07/2015

R186 & R169, you are equally valid proof that the '80s was the worst of times.

by Anonymousreply 18701/07/2015

Janbot has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 18801/07/2015

by Anonymousreply 18901/07/2015

"allowing people to believe that personal credit and big credit were possible again."

by Anonymousreply 19201/07/2015

r191 lost, wandering aimlessly. desperately seeking something meaningful...

by Anonymousreply 19301/07/2015

Loved Evelyn Champagne King and just about every artist mentioned above.

I went to Evelyn's concert in a bad neighborhood BITD and couldn't get a cab. Not good, but Evelyn was HEAVEN to me, my baby gay self. I hope this brings back great memories.

I did survive my displacement, Evelyn was wonderful, a great memory.

by Anonymousreply 19401/07/2015

Most '80s music was awesome (Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Metallica, AC/DC, Flock Of Seagulls, Joan Jett, Guns N Roses, The Smith, etc.). I think '90s Top 40 music was the worst in history (Smash Mouth, Paula Cole, Shania Twain, Alanis, Sugar Ray, Goo-Goo Dolls, etc.). I love much of the music of the '90s, just not what was on pop radio.

by Anonymousreply 19501/09/2015

by Anonymousreply 19601/09/2015

R196, Oops! Wrong thread, lol.

by Anonymousreply 19701/09/2015

I turned into a teen literally overnight towards the end of the 80's and the fashion was the shit (note THE shit, not shit) All tight lacoste polos and tennis fashion. Now I must say I am referring to the UK and also what a 13 year old wears to the school disco is hardly the basis for fashion but I loved it. Stayed the same right into 1992 although with slightly bolder colours. Also the music was amazing - forming the basis of my clubbing days in the mid 90's. All based on 80's samples and loops. Glory days but I don't believe you can say you lived properly in the 80's if you were only a kid. You know, no sex, drugs or cock and hole.

by Anonymousreply 19801/09/2015

[quote]You know, no sex, drugs or cock and hole.

And no medications to keep you alive yet.

by Anonymousreply 19901/09/2015

R199, we had condoms and lube. Those of us who used them properly are still here, happy and healthy. I was born in May of 1965. I was fortunate that I was of an age that when I was becoming sexually active in the gay way, AIDS was just beginning to get a lot of press (early-83ish). I was (thankfully) able to take the precautions necessary.

The '80s were a terrific time for me. I was very cautious, and here I am in 2015 (at age 49.5) and I'm still happy and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 20001/09/2015

Whatever decade the OP is from, was the worst decade ever.

by Anonymousreply 20101/09/2015

I hate the '80s too. Bad movies, bad music.

I do like Reagan. Yes, I'm gay, and I think he got a bad rap on AIDS. He wasn't perfect, but he funded research year after year starting in 1983 in ever increasing amounts.

Not a single person died of AIDS because of Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 20201/09/2015

I will turn 50 this coming summer. I have lived through half of the '60s, all of the '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s, and over half of the '10s. I have been very happy in every decade of my life. Every era had good and bad. I focus on the good.

I am a naturally happy guy, so I tend to look at every era of my life in a positive light. The '80s were a blast for me. Think positively and be happy in your life. You only go around once. Live, love and smile.

by Anonymousreply 20301/09/2015

I loved the movies, my faves were War Games, Top Gun, St. Elmo's Fire, About Last Night, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Red Dawn, First Blood, Sixteen Candles, The Hitcher, Pretty In Pink, Breakfast Club, The Goonies, Young Guns, and The Lost Boys.

by Anonymousreply 20401/09/2015

LMFAO. I must be too young for this thread. I know absolutely NO '80s pop culture. I have never seen any of these movies or heard this music, except a couple of cheesy songs. Most people today know the 90s and beyond but it seems like earlier pop culture is completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 20501/09/2015

R202 = Adam (homophobe, nazi) Baldwin.

by Anonymousreply 20601/09/2015

R205, "most people today" actually lived through the 80s, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 20701/09/2015

Best '80s Songs....

Send Me An Angel - Real Life

99 Luftballons - Nena

White Wedding - Billy Idol

Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics

Let's Dance - David Bowie

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Undercover of the Night - Rolling Stones

Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - Culture Club

Don't You Want Me - Human League

I Ran - A Flock of Seagulls

Union of the Snake - Duran Duran

by Anonymousreply 20801/09/2015

R208, Love you song list, though I would add 'The Promise' by When in Rome and 'Situation' by Yaz A/K/A/ Yazoo.

by Anonymousreply 20901/09/2015

r202 is perhaps the biggest piece of horseshit ever posted to this site.

by Anonymousreply 21001/09/2015

AIDS research was chronically under-funded. When doctors at the Centers for Disease Control and the National Institutes of Health asked for more funding for their work on AIDS, they were routinely denied it. Between June 1981 and May 1982 the CDC spent less than $1 million on AIDS and $9 million on Legionnaire’s Disease. At that point more than 1,000 of the 2,000 reported AIDS cases resulted in death; there were fewer than 50 deaths from Legionnaire’s Disease. This drastic lack of funding would continue throughout the Reagan years.

by Anonymousreply 21101/09/2015

But there was no “AIDSgate” for Reagan; the White House agreed with the Religious Right that gays deserved what they got – they deserved to die.

Rev. Jerry Falwell, head of the Moral Majority, said, “AIDS is the wrath of God upon homosexuals.” Patrick Buchanan, Reagan’s Press Secretary, said AIDS was “nature’s revenge on gay men.” Antigay Gary Bauer, Reagan’s domestic policy advisor, kept Surgeon General C. Everett Koop (selected because he was an anti-abortion Christian fundamentalist) away from Reagan:

”[In 1986] President Reagan asked the surgeon general to prepare a report on AIDS as the United States confirmed its ten-thousandth case. Leaders of the evangelical movement did not want Koop to write the report, nor did senior White House staffers who shared Koop’s evangelical convictions. As Dr. Koop related to me, “Gary Bauer [Reagan's chief advisor on domestic policy] … was my nemesis in Washington because he kept me from the president. He kept me from the cabinet and he set up a wall of enmity between me and most of the people that surrounded Reagan because he believed that anybody who had AIDS ought to die with it. That was God’s punishment for them.”

by Anonymousreply 21201/09/2015

Early '80s music was great. The Cars, Devo, Blondie, The B-52's, David Bowie, Cheap Trick, Thompson Twins, Eurythmics, The Stray Cats, The Police, AC/DC, Queen, Kiss, Duran Duran, Gary Numan, Judas Priest, Van Halen, U2, A Flock of Seagulls, The Go-Go's, Pretenders, Roxy Music, INXS, Human League, Soft Cell, Adam & The Ants, Rod Stewart, J. Geils Band, Asia, The Cure...

by Anonymousreply 21301/09/2015

Dynasty, Dallas, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Flamingo Road, The Colbys, Magnum PI, Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, L.A. Law, M*A*S*H, Soap, Barney Miller, Vegas, Taxi, Golden Girls, Newhart, Cheers, Jeffersons, Not Necessarily The News, Amazing Stories... AND lots and lots of MTV. I was a TV watchin' teen queen.

by Anonymousreply 21501/09/2015

Best Comedy Movies Ever: Airplane!, Caddyshack, Used Cars, 9 to 5, Bronco Billy, Stir Crazy, Private Benjamin, Stripes, Arthur, An American Werewolf In London, History of the World-Part I, Airplane 2: The Sequel!, Porky's, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Last American Virgin, 48 Hours, Tootsie, The Man With Two Brains, The Meaning of Life, Trading Places, National Lampoon's Vacation, A Christmas Story, All Of Me, Sixteen Candles, Top Secret!, Ghostbusters, This is Spinal Tap, Back To The Future, European Vacation, After Hours, Big Trouble In Little China, Ruthless People, Ferris Bueller, Lost Boys, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Lethal Weapon 1 & 2, Roxanne, Raising Arizona, Naked Gun, A Fish Called Wanda, Midnight Run, Working Girl, When Harry Met Sally.

by Anonymousreply 21601/09/2015

R216, Great list, but you left out one of my favorites, "Lost in America" from '85. I would also consider "The Return of the Living Dead" to be a great horror/comedy.

by Anonymousreply 21701/09/2015

R216 - Love almost all of those movies. I would add Tammy's "Risky Business" (her only really good movie). Otherwise, a prime list.

by Anonymousreply 21801/09/2015

OP lost me after saying disparaging remarks towards punk rock. It was one of the best things that happened in the 80's. The rest of you can have your bullshit pop culture.

by Anonymousreply 21901/09/2015

Live Aid (July 13, 1985) was the concert event of the decade. Queen, Madonna, U2, David Bowie, Black Sabbath reunion, Led Zeppelin reunion, The Who reunion, Judas Priest, Mick Jagger, Tina Turner, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, Ultravox, Sade, Phil Collins, Dire Straits, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Rick Springfield, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bryan Adams, Beach Boys, Pretenders, The Cars, Santana, George Thorogood, Hall & Oates, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Kenny Loggins, Thompson Twins, REO Speedwagon, Paul Young. I had the entire concert recorded on VHS tapes off of MTV.

by Anonymousreply 22001/09/2015

R220, I would have loved to have attended Live Aid in Philly. I missed it. I did attend one festival concert, The US Festival - Days One & Two in May of '83: Day Two: Day One: The Clash, Divinyls, INXS, English Beat, Flock of Seagulls, Men At Work. Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Triumph, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue. I missed Day 3 with Bowie, Stevie Nicks, Berlin, etc. Great show though.

by Anonymousreply 22101/09/2015

by Anonymousreply 22201/09/2015

Damn iPhone. Jumbled my shit all up. Should have read:

I would have loved to have attended Live Aid in Philly. I missed it. I did attend one festival concert, The US Festival - Days One & Two in May of '83:

Day One: The Clash, Divinyls, INXS, English Beat, Flock of Seagulls, Men At Work.

Day Two: Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Triumph, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue.

I missed Day 3 with Bowie, Stevie Nicks, Berlin, etc. Great show though.

by Anonymousreply 22301/09/2015

Coming To America

by Anonymousreply 22401/09/2015

You'll be joining Uncle Ronnie in hell when you die, R225. You'll both be roasting there [italic]in reliquum tempus[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 22601/09/2015

[quote] Worst frikking holocaust (plague)

With all due respect, I think the influenza pandemic of 1917-1920ish was a tad worse.

by Anonymousreply 22701/09/2015

Honest to God, r225, what part do you not get? Reagan spent more on Legionnnaires Disease than AIDS even though it affected a tiny fraction of the number of people. Why? Because they were not overwhelmingly gay.

I mean, what would fucking convince you? What proof do you need that hasn't already been presented?

by Anonymousreply 22801/10/2015

Me too

by Anonymousreply 22903/02/2015

I was a kid/teenager in the 80's so I love that decade. OP is a party pooper.

by Anonymousreply 23003/02/2015

Oops....I meant not one single person[bold] lived[/bold] with AIDS because of Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 23103/02/2015

r171, sounds like he grew up in a Steven Spielberg movie.

by Anonymousreply 23203/02/2015

Thankfully I was born in 1990 and did not have to breathe one minute of 80s air. Fuck the 80s the worst ever.

by Anonymousreply 23303/03/2015

Fuck tha 80ties

by Anonymousreply 23403/03/2015

I spent the 80s in college and as a ski bum. Life was good.

by Anonymousreply 23503/03/2015

OP, Don't Do Me Like That!

by Anonymousreply 23604/12/2015

I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you!

by Anonymousreply 23704/12/2015

Especially the music.

by Anonymousreply 23804/12/2015

OP is a dumbass! 80's was the best decade ever! Best president ever was Ronald Reagan! He wasn't a socialistic, pathetic president like we have today! Put your bong down and get a job!!!

by Anonymousreply 23904/12/2015

The 80's were all about unity!

Have you ever seen such a united election map?

by Anonymousreply 24004/12/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!