Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lily Rabe Lily Rabes it as Mary Pickford

Julia Stiles has signed on to play a female screenwriter in a Mary Pickford biopic starring Lily Rabe.

Thoughts on this, Silent Screen queens? Rabe does have a great old fashioned look, especially in American Horror Story's first season. Hopefully she gets more roles from this.

by Anonymousreply 6602/20/2013

Rabe is an amazing actress, but she looks so old. I thought she was in her 40s!

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

this could be good. Mary Pickford's life would make a good film.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

Lily Rabe is a very good actress. This should be good - Mary Pickford had a fascinating life!

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

I am definitely waiting for this.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

Perfect casting. Lily Rabe has exactly the kind of beauty celebrated a hundred years ago, with her heart shaped face and peaches-and-cream complexion. Give her ringlets and she'll look the part perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Wasn't Mary Pickford a delicate, feminine creature? Lily Rabe is manly! She'd be more right for something like a Rosalind Russell biopic.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

[quote]Wasn't Mary Pickford a delicate, feminine creature? Lily Rabe is manly!

She can look delicate and feminine.

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

Mary Pickford was a prude and a pill. Give me a Clara Bow biopic anyday.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

Lily is almost 6' tall. She can look rather husky on stage in spite of the delicate features of her face. They'll have to find some very tall co-stars.

Btw, as both her mom and dad have and had rather large schnozzes, is that a nose job on Lily?

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

The audience for this is in the 80-plus age range.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

It says in the linked article that Dominick Fairbanks is one of the producers. Is he a great-grandson or relation?

I don't think there's really much drama in Mary's life, in spite of her great fame. There was just never any any conflict or tension, unless they've unearthed some secrets the public never knew.

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

I *AM** still big -- it's the pictures that got small!

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

Mary never had any children. Maybe he's a grandson of Douglas Fairbanks Jr (who had a different mother, not Mary).

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

R10 is right. Young people today are so limited in their interests and curiosity, they have no use for the past.

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

"Btw, as both her mom and dad have and had rather large schnozzes, is that a nose job on Lily?"

Rabe had a large nose. But I never thought of Clayburgh as having one. So I found a picture of the three of them.

As you can see, Jill didn't have a large nose.

Moreover, her nose looks exactly like Lily's.

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

Who will play daughter-in-law Joan Crawford?

She is the only conflict I can think of in Little Mary's long life.

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

They should make a biopic of Alla Nazimova...Now that could be an interesting film!

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

They should make many silent goddess movies before teaming them up for an Avengers-style mega movie.

Theda Bara! Clara Bow! Ms Gloria Swanson!

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

I think Mary's drug-crazed brother and sister-in-law is an interesting conflict. And Mary was a real ball-buster in business. And then there's the coming back as a ghost and kicking Pia Zadora's ass. I'd pay to watch that.

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

Mary was a very shrewd business woman who became Hollywood royalty. Many credit her with inventing `Movie acting`. She understood and made use of the camera's ability to pick up on subtle gestures, hesitations and eye movements.

She and Douglas Fairbanks were Hollywood`s first `power couple'. They built Pickfair but she outgrew her 'sweet little girl' roles and began drinking heavily. Both she and Fairbanks had affairs and split up. Her alcoholism increased and she would constantly call her second husband (Buddy Rogers), "Doug" (Douglas).

They adopted two children and Mary was by all accounts a cold and critical mother. She thought her old films were awful and embarrassing and ordered the prints destroyed on her death (they weren't.

by Anonymousreply 2002/01/2013

[quote]It says in the linked article that Dominick Fairbanks is one of the producers. Is he a great-grandson or relation?

Yup. Great Grandson.

[quote]I don't think there's really much drama in Mary's life, in spite of her great fame. There was just never any any conflict or tension, unless they've unearthed some secrets the public never knew.

She was the first big star AND the first 'has-been'

by Anonymousreply 2102/01/2013

[quote]Who will play daughter-in-law Joan Crawford?

Stepdaughter-in-law. Mary Pickford was the stepmother of Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., not the mother.

by Anonymousreply 2202/01/2013

Jill Clayburgh was my favorite actress. Whenever I see Lily Rabe, I stop breathing for just a second.

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

Douglas Fairbanks Jr was the son of Fairbanks and his first wife, not Mary, so he's no direct relation of hers.

Pickford had plenty of drama in he life - her relationship with first hubby Owen Moore, the scandal of her secret affair and then marriage with Fairbanks, and then the scandal of the end of that relationship and her "prince consort" hubby, the gay Buddy Rogers - all that in addition to her business smarts and acting career - and co-founding United Artists.

She was in her late 40s when she adopted the kids - and was a horrible mother. That's yet another aspect of the tale. She should really have an HBO mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

[quote]Lily Rabe Lily Rabes

Is this like Lisa Lisas or Boutros Boutroses?

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

[quote] the gay Buddy Rogers

Was he gay? I know he gave the touching man on man kiss in wings, but I never heard that he was gay. (He was certainly gorgeous in "My best girl")

by Anonymousreply 2602/01/2013

Buddy passionately kissing Richard Arlen.

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

[quote]Lily Rabe Lily Rabes

Lily Rabe - Lily Rabes

Noun - Verb

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

"Many credit her with inventing 'Movie acting'."

That's news to me.

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

^The old bitch called that one correctly.

by Anonymousreply 3002/01/2013

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartmans!

by Anonymousreply 3102/01/2013

Reporter: "Miss Davis, your co-star Miss Gish is getting early raves for her work with you in THE WHALES of AUGUST. They say her close-ups are especially wonderful."

Bette Davis: "They'd OUGHTA be, she INVENTED 'em!"

by Anonymousreply 3202/01/2013

Griffith hired Pickford in 1909. He hired Gish in 1912.

by Anonymousreply 3302/01/2013

r7, I wasn't referring to her looks so much as her manly manner (although r9 is right that she is tall and husky).

by Anonymousreply 3402/01/2013

Camryn Manheim for Mary Pickford!

by Anonymousreply 3502/01/2013

r32, don't forget Gish's revenge in the press--keep in mind Davis had had a horrible stroke in later years that had kept her face partially paralyzes:

REPORTER: "Miss Gish, is it true Bette Davis was very difficult for the rest of the cast to work with on the set of 'The Whales of August'?"

LILLIAN GISH: (sweetly) "Did you see that face? What a tragic face!"

by Anonymousreply 3602/01/2013

The book on which this picture is being based is a good one, so I have high hopes for it.

Pickford's life is fascinating. The term "Superstar" could have been invented for her. When she and Fairbanks toured Europe after their marriage, her public appearances caused literal riots. The thing is, there was no template for her stardom. She was the first to attain that degree of fame.

She worked with David Belasco, D.W. Griffith, and then went on to hold more power in Hollywood than any other woman, either before or since.

Although she is remembered today only for playing children, Pickford did that less than most would assume. She came to hate the little girl, and tried, with varying degrees of success, to break that mold. She often played adolescents who matured to young adulthood in the course of a film, entirely appropriate to her age at the time, and a couple of times did dual roles, where she could give the audiences what they expected of her, and play another, more mature, role

OK, I'm starting to ramble now, but I hope the film turns out to be a good one. Pickford's legacy deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 3702/01/2013

I don't know R10, I'm 20 and I'm interested.

by Anonymousreply 3802/01/2013

[quote]She was the first big star AND the first 'has-been'

Well, you got the last part right.

by Anonymousreply 3902/01/2013

I know she made some talkies and even won the second Best Actress Oscar for, I assume, a talkie.

But are her talkies ever shown on TCM or anywhere? On DVDs? Was she considered a good actress in talkies?

What were her best films?

Didn't she have kind of a lisp?

by Anonymousreply 4002/01/2013

LOL at r39.

r29, Pickford was well-established, and, arguably, the most popular actress in movies, when SHE introduced Gish (a childhood friend) to D.W. Griffith.

by Anonymousreply 4102/01/2013

There is definitely a story to tell. It doesn't always have to be drugs/murder/sex.

by Anonymousreply 4202/01/2013

Wasn't Theda Bara as much or more of a sensation than Mary and Lillian? If only for a few short years in the Teens.

She was certainly the first film sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

I guess when you credit her with being the first "anything" you have to use the word 'arguably'.

She won the 1929 Oscar for 'Coquette'. She plays a teenage southern belle (she was in her mid-to-late 30s and not much of a southern accent). It was a forgettable film but the oscar had more to do with her status than the actual performance. TCM has played it on occasion.

She eventually lost all contact with her children. Her daughter ran off with boy Mary didn't approve of. The son became a petty criminal, drug addict and homeless person.

She left them each 50,000$ in her will but they claim to have received much less than that. The daughter died a few years ago and the son, apparently, has dropped out of sight.

by Anonymousreply 4402/01/2013

Interesting R44. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 4502/01/2013

'Wasn't Theda Bara as much or more of a sensation than Mary and Lillian?"

Hey, talk about a biopic! Theda Bara was actually a nice Jewish girl from the Midwest, and she was rather horrified to find herself becoming a world-famous "vamp". Someone could make a helluva comedy out of her story.

by Anonymousreply 4602/01/2013

And I was the ORIGINAL Biograph Girl!

by Anonymousreply 4702/01/2013

Maybe so, but I got the musical called "The Biograph Girl," bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4802/01/2013

Theda Bara went to my high school.

by Anonymousreply 4902/01/2013

The feisty, very capable tomboyish character--which Pickford first developed for movies--is still the model for many major female film stars: Betty Grable, Doris Day, and Julia Roberts all played variants of character Pickford popularized.

by Anonymousreply 5002/01/2013

R49 You knew Theda Bara in high school?

You may now claim your Miss Elderest Gay of Them All sash.

by Anonymousreply 5102/01/2013

r52, The writer is Frances Marion, with whom Mary Pickford had a close personal and professional relationship.

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2013

Who will be cast as Buddy Rogers? Doug Fairbanks Sr.? Doug Fairbanks Jr.?

That's a lot of beautiful men.

by Anonymousreply 5402/02/2013

The only male cast member announced so far is Michael Pitt as Owen Moore, her first husband. There's also someone playing younger Mary, so presumably the focus is on her middle years and not her rise to stardom.

by Anonymousreply 5502/02/2013

No one under the age of 75 will give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 5602/02/2013

[quote]No one under the age of 75 will give a shit.

Just like no one under the age of 180 gave a shit about Lincoln, and no one under the age of 440 gave a shit about 'Shakespeare in Love'.

by Anonymousreply 5702/02/2013

Uh r57, I, too, love Mary Pickford but I'm not sure that her fame is quite comparable to Abraham Lincoln and William Shakespeare.

by Anonymousreply 5802/02/2013

You'd think no one under 75 would've given a toss about Howard Hughes, yet "The Aviator" went on to perform well at the box office, even scoring a few Oscar nominations along the way.

On the flip side, who even bothered to see "Amelia"? Attach some good, likeable, quality names to the Pickford biopic and it can be a success.

by Anonymousreply 5902/02/2013

Most of the audiences at The Aviator saw it for Scorsese, DiCaprio and Blanchett, not out of curiosity about Howard Hughes.

For the Pickford film to find an audience, it will actually have to be very, very good.

by Anonymousreply 6002/02/2013

This film has been in development for years. It was meant to be an HBO mini-series, now it's a feature. Unless they're going to make Mary a vampire, they'd be better off going back to the mini-series. Lily Rabe and Julia Stiles aren'r exactly going to pack the aisles with this one.

by Anonymousreply 6102/02/2013

Mary wanted to make a movie of her life and she wanted to play her mother, Charlotte Pickford. Mary wanted Shirley Temple to play her, but Shirley declined. So the film was not made.

by Anonymousreply 6202/02/2013

Off topic but Lily Rabe has signed on for season three of American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 6302/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 6402/13/2013

If the script and the story and direction is good, it could become an interesting film, however there are several Pickford films coming out this year and next. Biopics are tricky material and hard to pull off in general. One of the other scripts that I read about sounds very interesting and seems like it would appeal to the masses, young and old today. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this Lily Rabe movie will just be mediocre, perhaps a bit melodramatic. I believe the actors will be good, but we all can sense when the actors are good and maybe even the cinematography, but the direction and story fall flat. I don't have high hopes for the execution of this film, not to be mean. Lily Rabe is great, but Mary Pickford had a completely different energy and if I'm honest, as good of an actress that Lily Rabe is---she may be a bit course for the role.Mary was shrewd, but not in a course way and I've seen Lily Rabe play vulnerable and it comes across as a bit aggressive. Mary was also aggressive, but again--in a completely different way. In all of her glory and horror and innovation, Mary Pickford was an arrogant, narcissistic, delicate and hopelessly innocent creature. She was not an easy gal to figure out and to understand her life would really require the writer, director and actors to be able to read between the lines of all of the evidence that she left behind.

by Anonymousreply 6502/20/2013

[quote] she may be a bit course for the role.Mary was shrewd, but not in a course way

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 6602/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!