Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Celexa withdrawals are horrible!

I went on Celexa last year when my mother died. It made me feel much better, but I gained about ten pounds. I decided to go off it a couple of days ago. I am so dizzy that I feel like I am going to faint and am afraid to drive. I feel like I am going to vomit. It is awful. Why don't drs tell you about this shit when they put you on a medication?

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

Why aren't you asking your doctor what the side effects etc. are when your doctor is prescribing medicine to you?

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

I have almost weaned off Effexor very slowly, like 6 months. You have to do it gradually.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

OP, you can't go off these meds "cold turkey"! What were you thinking!?!?

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Not to alarm you, OP (but what the hell? it's fact), but it's entirely possible to develop permanent chemical psychosis from abrupt withdrawal of psychotropic drugs. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

You shouldn't stop all at once but lower your dosage.

You're getting a tingling feeling in your head, right? And massive headaches?

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

I've gone off it cold turkey twice with no symptons at all.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

Taper off slowly over a few months.

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

I weened off it and had brain zaps for weeks. Sorry about your mom, OP.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

[quote]I've gone off it cold turkey twice with no symptons at all.

But it destroys the ability to spell.

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

Smoke pot if you can. Seriously. It helped me get through the worst part of my Effexor withdrawal. I quit Celexa cold turkey too and that was a breeze for me compared to quitting Effexor even without smoking marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

Yes, r5. I have headaches and tingles in my head. The dizziness is the worst part though. I just took 5mg and called my Dr. After doing research online, it seems that a lot of people are put on small doses of Prozac to help with the celexa withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

Effexor withdrawal was awful. I felt like shit if I missed one dose.

I'm on Celexa right now but I no longer have insurance so I'm not sure how I'll get a new prescription. I guess I'll be tapering off slowly.

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

r12, the generic celexa (citalopram) is very inexpensive at Walmart. Like $8 for 30 day prescription of 20mg/ day.

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

Thanks, R13. The price isn't the problem, just seeing a doctor and getting a new Rx is.

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!