Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I hate cooking as a competition and fake reality

...but clearly I am in the minority as America seems to lap it up.

Anne Burrell is now going to scream, yell and be an asshole and a bitch to people desperate for a job.

So another great chef adopts a cunt persona to scream her way into ratings with big hair.

Why is tv so bad?

by Anonymousreply 6305/17/2013

Anne Burrell was the end of the end for me with Food Network, the proof that, except for Ina, the whole thing was just a big, fat, steaming pile of dogshit.

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

I also find her boorish and nasty to the poor schlubs on [italic]Worst Cooks in America.[/italic]

Somebody here posted -- and I agree -- that she seems like the type who'd slap her girlfriend around.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

You're watching what you claim to despise, OP. Don't wonder why TV is so bad--wonder why you choose to watch bad TV.

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

Dear R3,

I have seen only the promos when at the gym.

I have no tv at home. However the food network along with sports and cnn play at my health club.

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

[quote] I have no tv at home.

Well, smell you!

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Anne Burell also had a show "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" or something like that. I watched two episodes, hoping to learn something new and fun. Boy, what a waste of time. I've never watched anything with her since. Well, come to think of it, I don't watch ANYTHING on the Food Network anymore.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

I loved restaurant chef and did learn a lot from that series.

That was when she could be smart and show her skills, vs be a cunt and show how mean she can be.

by Anonymousreply 702/01/2013

Why would any reasonable person watch TV when they could do anything else?

I don't have television at home either, OP. The new so-called cooking shows have nothing to preparing delicious, fresh, nourishing food which is why so many Americans watch them.

Apparently, the days of gay men learning reliable techniques for preparing fresh food from likes of Jacques Pepin, Craig Claiborne, Julia Child and James Beard are over.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

That should have read:

The new so-called cooking shows have nothing to do with preparing delicious, fresh, nourishing food.

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

What an idiotic thread. I'm not sure who is worse, OP or R8.

by Anonymousreply 1002/01/2013

I'm glad I canceled my cable.

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

How sad, apparently R10 is brain addled TV watcher.

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

My vote is for R8, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

Why does R8 assume that only gay men are the ones who have learned from the chefs that he mentioned? How presumptuous and elitist. If someone straight had said something like that about heteros, R8 would be clutching his pearls and tweeting NGLTF.

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

I'm right there with you OP.

I love cooking.

The thing about food, and the art of creating it and enjoying it, is that you have to be there with in IN REALITY to trule experience.

A good dish is made by a chef, then tasted by the customer. Nothing can recreate that experience. It can't be recorded, and it can't be reproduced, and it is nothing but extremely subjective.

The fact that cooking, of all things, can be made into a television bloodsport is ludicrous.

But all that aside, OP, why are you harping on[italic] Anne Burrell[/italic] of all people and ignoring the likes of Gordon Ramsay, [bold]Robert Irvine, Bobby Flay and all the other clowns who have brought this era of screaming pompous chefs upon us in the first place? [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

OP, if you are asking why a television venue designed to make money from vulgarians is vulgar, low-brow, and aimed at the worst of everything, perhaps you need to investigate your histrionic need to ask the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

R17, why are you assuming this is a "cunty eldergay" thing? Obviously you're just a whining cunty babygay thing. And you're not exactly making DL a wonderland of excitment.

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

The answer, R10, is R10.

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

I'm with you, OP. I've never thought testosterone went well with food. I don't want to watch competitions on cooking bizarre ingredients quickly. I want to learn how to prepare delicious and beautiful dishes myself. I used to like Food Network when it actually taught you to cook.

by Anonymousreply 2002/01/2013

R18, you are a cunty eldergay and this thread is full of them. That's the truth, hunty.

by Anonymousreply 2102/01/2013

R10 is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 2202/01/2013

[quote]America seems to lap it up.

What part of America, OP? I don't know of anyone who watches those cooking events. Are those viewers all living in your neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

Oh, R21, you have no idea how many eldergays are or are not on this threat. Just because you're a young piece of shit doesn't mean you know anything. You probably still think no one knows you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

I'm with you OP! I much prefer old-school cooking shows that actually show you how to cook. TV in general seems to now be about providing ever-less knowledge and information while ramping up competitiveness.

However I will give honourable mention to an odd show I caught the other day called "Bitchin' Kitchen". The host is a cute 20-something girl who stay in character as a some kind of Bronx goombah-ette. She's adorable and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

Me too. I think it is lame.

by Anonymousreply 2602/01/2013

OMG, I can't believe how many of you people watch the TV! I haven't owned a TV in over 30 years! It's called an idiot box for a reason! You are all brain dead!

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

I learned a lot more about cooking from various TouTube videos than I ever have on the Food Network over the last decade or so.

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

I don't understand the appeal of any of these shows where an angry mommy or daddy figure screams at middle-aged children and then sets them right.

Judge Judy and Gordon Ramsay have many things in common. But they're not entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 2902/01/2013

[quote]Why would any reasonable person watch TV when they could do anything else?

My god, some of you are miserable assholes.

[quote]Just because you're a young piece of shit doesn't mean you know anything. You probably still think no one knows you're gay.

Sounds like a projecting eldergay with more issues than a subscription.

by Anonymousreply 3002/01/2013

Food Network sucks. The reality shows are not real. The competition shows are rigged and stupid. The "cooking" shows are lame.

by Anonymousreply 3102/01/2013

Just callin' the young boys out on their shit.

by Anonymousreply 3202/01/2013

I watch the shows that interest me and skip the ones that don't. Am I doing it wrong?

by Anonymousreply 3302/01/2013

R32, just because you were closeted back in the 1920s when you were young doesn't mean young people today are.

by Anonymousreply 3402/01/2013

Once upon a time ... the Food Network was about chefs and cooks and food people who cared -- like Sara Mouton (sorry about the incorrect spelling of her surname) -- about recipes, what to make for dinner, how to throw a party, etc.

I suspect Scripps Howard Television would rather program on the cheap as opposed to programming quality. Instead of Barefoot Contessa, we get Chopped or Iron Chef America or some culinary version of Project Runway

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

I agree with your r35 but Chopped is actually a good show. Very fast pace and there's no celebrity judges." No celebrity chefs. It's also quite entertaining. Iron Chef America is too theatrical for my taste. The "Chairman" is the worst actor on TV. Alton Brown always over-the-top. Stopped watching ICA for years now. I liked the Japanese IC much more but it doesn't air on FN anymore.

Everything else on FN is boring and almost unwatchable. Diners and Dives is shown nonstop. Ugh.

I watch their sister network, The Cooking Channel, more than I do FN. I do not like "celebrity chefs" like Guy Fieri, Rachael Ray, Bobby Flay (can not stand his frat boy face and attitude), Mario Batali, Paula Deen and her sons. I never watch any of their shows. Once someone becomes a household name, I lose interest.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

I like cooking shows in general, and I like some of the contest shows. I do like to see creative people operating at a very high level of skill, which is why I also enjoy a bit of "Project Runway".

The show where PEOPLE COMPETE FOR JOBS ON NATIONAL TV is a harbinger of the end of our civilization. It's an utterly evil concept, and will probably spread througought TV. It's our gladiatorial contest, watching poor schmucks fight for their lives in the modern "arena".

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2013

If I want to see a middle-aged lesbian yelling at adults on my TV, I'll just watch Tabatha Takes Over.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2013

Here is what happened. The Food Network used to be full of good chefs. Alton Brown, The Barefoot Contessa, even Anne Burell when she did Secrets of a Restaurant chef.

But TV executives are greedy. So they wanted part of the reality TV boom money. They created The Cooking Channel and moved all the real chefs over there. Then slowly without saying anything replaced all their good shows on the Food Network with crap competition.

So they own both channels but if you want to learn how to cook watch the cooking channel. If you want to see angry chefs go at it like Tina Turner in Thunderdome, its the food channel.

I am waiting for a food fight show, you know its coming.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

R8, I just want to make Delicious Meals, I want a Garbage Bowl...

by Anonymousreply 4002/02/2013

I like Anne's shows and other Food Network competition shows like Chopped and Iron Chef, I never watch the chef shows like Paula Deen, Giada or whoever, but I'm in the minority here.

by Anonymousreply 4102/02/2013

Paula Dean = Camp Butter Queen from the south, lets now fry a stick of butter.

Giada = Look at my tits, oh, and I am more Italian now then when I was in my 20s.

Guy Feiri = I got crabs just watching that guy

Sandra Lee = Cool Whip, Vodka and Wallmart Tablescapes!

by Anonymousreply 4202/02/2013

Would you like some cheese with that whine OP?

Like the Food Network always had good shows?

by Anonymousreply 4302/02/2013

The Test Kitchen shows on PBS are good. They actually show recipes and cook different things occasionally.

Ina doesn't cook anything anymore. Just opens packages. That vile Pioneer Woman cooks shit like meatloaf. Boring food that everyone knows how to make already. Trisha Yearwood is the same.

Chopped, Fieri, and cupcake trash is all that Food Network plays.

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

No one is more repulsive than Guy Fieri. You can't turn on Food Network without seeing his greasy visage stuffing some dripping deep-fried morsel down his gob on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Afterwards of course, he raves about the food while still chawing a mouthful, with food particles on his mouth and stuck in his nasty beard. I wish the sunglasses on the back of his head would explode.

I used to be okay with Burrell, who wasn't quite as over-exposed as Guy or Rachel. But yes - seeing the previews of her show with her running around in her red clogs, poufed hair, too-short ruffled skirt - a bulbous red nose away from looking like a circus clown - screeching, "one, two, three..." in her horrible nasal upper midwestern accent, and yeah, I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 4502/02/2013

"Like the Food Network always had good shows?"

Actually it did have better shows--admittedly 10-15 years ago, but there was a time when the focus was on the food & cooking, not personality & competition. Even some of those now thought of as hacks started out with fairly good shows about food.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

Competitive cooking shows get better ratings. The whole point of running a network is to get better ratings. Thus, there are more competitive cooking shows.

This is Media 101, people. Are some of you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 4702/02/2013

I'm pining away for the olden days of Nathalie Dupree and Amy Adams ( I think it was, her show was called something like Cooking from Quilt Country). I'm not into Asian guys, but for Ming Tsai, I made an exception!

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

R48, that was Marcia Adams, not Amy.

by Anonymousreply 4902/02/2013

Ming Tsai is such a joke! What an egomaniac.

by Anonymousreply 5002/02/2013

Anne Burrell has never had much success on the FN. Her stints on other FN shows are short and her own show never survive beyond the first season or so.

by Anonymousreply 5102/02/2013

If you think cooking competitions are ridiculous as a TV show genre, Bravo is coming out with a perfume/cologne making reality TV show. Now I ask you, how is THAT supposed to involve the viewer?

by Anonymousreply 5202/02/2013

Cooking has always been about competition. Restaurants come and go so you always have to one-up the competitor. Who owns more restaurants? Who has worked in the best kitchen in the city? The cooking world is very competitive. You have to hire the best executive chef. Executive chefs compete against other EC.

All of that real world culinary competition is put into TV format. OP, when you choose one restaurant over another, you are essential being a judge who must "chop" the least best.

by Anonymousreply 5302/02/2013

I wish that they would finally just go the whole enchilada...

A husband and wife can't decide whether to stay married...LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Our fabulous stylist will make over one of the spouses (for a sum) while our other host will introduce the other spouse to potential new spouses. At the end of the show, one spouse must decide whether they will love it or leave it!

by Anonymousreply 5402/02/2013

Giada, Sandra, Anne, they are all bad.

by Anonymousreply 5502/02/2013

Ming Tsai is one of the few Asian guys I've found hot, which is why I mentioned him.

Thank for the correction on Ms. Adams' name!

by Anonymousreply 5602/02/2013

F&F racist R57.

by Anonymousreply 5802/03/2013

I just ordered a copy of James Beard's American Cookery. He's someone I missed when I was just learning to cook, because I mostly used Julia's and Marcella's books.

As for TV, I didn't own one until I was a [italic]somewhat[/italic] older gay. Before that, I didn't have time for or interest in watching TV.

by Anonymousreply 5905/15/2013

I like how OP used "lap it up" and Anne Burrell in such proximity.

by Anonymousreply 6005/15/2013

Thanks R47 for pointing out the obvious. We are so grateful your brilliance is on display.

by Anonymousreply 6105/17/2013

right, r23.

No one on dl ever watched Top Chef.

by Anonymousreply 6205/17/2013

R62, I have never watched Top Chef.

by Anonymousreply 6305/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!