Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Halle Berry's Movie: With juvenile humour and moronic profanity, Movie 43 might be the saddest, most pathetic film of 2013

and possibly any year.

I can't put all on here. It's all at the link.

Man, Halle is truly over.

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013

Why is Halle Berry so hated on DL? Is she #2 to GOOP?

by Anonymousreply 102/01/2013

Roger Ebert's review was not exactly a rave.

Since 1999 I've been carrying a blue pill in my pocket, holding onto it for the moment when I'd truly need it. The pill, I was told, would instantly erase the memory of any movie — but just the one movie, just the one time.

I was tempted to take that pill after "Freddy Got Fingered." I had the pill in hand as I walked out of every other Adam Sandler movie of the last decade.

But I hung on to it, knowing something even worse was going to come my way one day.

Midway through "Movie 43," I knew the day had come. As the credits rolled with the inevitable blooper scenes of actors breaking character and inexplicably laughing when nothing funny is going on, I swallowed that pill, hoping to erase instantly all mental images of what had just transpired.

by Anonymousreply 202/01/2013

{quote]Or a young girl (Chloe Grace Moretz) being cruelly ridiculed for her first period. It’s a tough call.

Well same thing happens in her next film the remake of "Carrie".

by Anonymousreply 302/01/2013

I love that people can choose whichever actor they loathe the most in the film and place all blame on them. For instance, my header would read: THE COLLAPSE OF KATE WINSLET IS COMPLETE AFTER DEBACLE OF MOVIE 43!

by Anonymousreply 402/01/2013

That's the "joke".

by Anonymousreply 502/01/2013

Rich that The Daily Mail carries an accusation that the movie is homophobic. It's one of the most consistently homophobic rags in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 602/01/2013

Completely agree with, R7's, assessment of Berry. Berry is of the Phylicia Rashad school of acting.

by Anonymousreply 802/01/2013

Berry has now had 7 consecutive flops/disappointments/direct-to-dvd films in a row since her last appearance in a hit film (her small role in X-men 3):

Perfect Stranger: flop Things We Lost in the Fire: flop Franke & Alice: so bad it remains unreleased New Year's Eve: box office disappointment Dark Tide: direct to dvd Cloud Atlas: flop Movie 43: flop

by Anonymousreply 902/01/2013

r10, wanna take on "Cloud Atlas," one of the biggest flops of all-time?

by Anonymousreply 1102/01/2013

"Cloud Atlas" is a Tom Hanks movie. Or a Wachowski siblings movie.

by Anonymousreply 1202/01/2013

Isn't Halle just one of many "stars" with bad enough taste (and, apparently, agents) to have agreed to appear in this POS?

by Anonymousreply 1302/01/2013

Remember "Catwoman"?

Holy fuck!

by Anonymousreply 1402/01/2013

Right, I saw a few other pretty big named stars in this thing, why single her out?

by Anonymousreply 1502/01/2013

The actors that starred in this piece of shit are all dead for me now. DEAD. D-E-A-D. DEEEEAAAAAAD.

by Anonymousreply 1602/01/2013

(R7) Halle Berry did not win an Oscar by playing the race card. Halle is a great actress and she won the Oscar by taking her clothes off and fucking a white man Billy Bob Thornton. Halle deserved an Oscar for her outstanding performance, however, it took getting her naked to win an Oscar. It had nothing to do with race.

by Anonymousreply 1702/01/2013

Hugh Jackman's movie: With juvenile humor and moronic profanity, Movie 43 might be the saddest, most pathetic film of 2013.

by Anonymousreply 1802/01/2013

no r17....she won because no black woman had won before and it was time one did.

by Anonymousreply 1902/01/2013

She won because she gave a great performance in a weak year. She's done a lot of crap, but give her credit for her good perfomances, including Jungle Fever and Dorothy Dandridge.

by Anonymousreply 2002/01/2013

[quote]Berry won that Oscar by playing the race card. She got it and the academy didn't have to bother with her again, nor did they have to give awards to black performers for PR purposes. They took care of it that year. The reason she hasn't gotten good work in the aftermath is because she has no actual talent. That award didn't cement her as a talented actor. It cemented her as a guilt-tripper. There was no Oscar curse that led to her being a has-been. Her subsequent career proved that that award was not given on merit.

Believe me, I'm the last person who would be a Halle Berry apologist but I think the mental cases who keep peddling this tired fantasy that she won her Oscar by "playing the race card" need to give it a rest.

I don't think anyone, even most black people, would say Halle Berry is anyone's idea of a "great" actress; however, most major film critics hailed her performance as the best that year and said, quite vocally, that she deserved to win the Best Actress Oscar (including Siskel and Ebert, who said on their show that her not winning would be a near crime). Does that automatically mean she really deserved it? Of course not, but critical praise is what sealed the deal for her that one particular year just as it's likely to do the same for Jennifer Lawrence this year. And not once did Berry give any interviews that award season in which she played up her blackness in order to guilt the Academy to vote for her. So unless you have links to said interviews in which she did exactly this, you need to please STOP TELLING THIS LIE.

Again, no one is defending Halle Berry as a person or an actress, but the "she played the race card to win the Oscar" bit is a lie and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/01/2013

[quote]She won because she gave a great performance in a weak year

It was a good performace but it was hardly a weak year: Sissy Spacek, In the Bedroom. Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge and The Others, Judi Dench, in Iris, Naomi Watts in Mullholland Drive, even Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary.

I wish we had even one of those performances for this year.

by Anonymousreply 2202/01/2013

She didn't play the race card...other people played it for her.

and r21's quote

[quote]most major film critics hailed her performance as the best that year and said, quite vocally, that she deserved to win the Best Actress Oscar

is just wrong. She won a few of the critics groups awards but not overwhelmingly.

by Anonymousreply 2302/01/2013

Forget Halle Berry. This movie sounds gross and horrible and a lot of people who should have known better came in and did it as a favor got involved because it involved shooting for a few days.

Many other well-known actors are in the film and they will all be grateful because it will disappear.

In 1999 or so there was another movie like this with all the big stars when they still had clout -- America's Sweetheart. Just one of those bizarre vanity projects that collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 2402/01/2013

[quote]It was a good performace but it was hardly a weak year: Sissy Spacek, In the Bedroom. Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge and The Others, Judi Dench, in Iris, Naomi Watts in Mullholland Drive, even Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary.

Kidman did not deserve to win for Moulin Rouge. Had she been nominated in "The Others" then I might agree she should have won, though not necessarily.

Watts wasn't nominated.

Judi Dench in Iris..another Lifetime movie, British version.

RZ - meh.

by Anonymousreply 2502/01/2013

Hi, sorry I garbled "involved" in the previous post.

by Anonymousreply 2602/01/2013

I don't understand why she never got roles in better movies. Sure, her acting sucks but she's made a name for herself and she's marketable. In her career, she's only been in a handful of decent movies.

by Anonymousreply 2702/01/2013

Kidman was just plain excellent in The Others....

by Anonymousreply 2802/01/2013

A sad, pathetic film for a sad, pathetic woman. Perfect fit!

The public grew tired of her "Poor me!" and finger pointing at everyone else for her problems instead of looking in the mirror. She has issues.

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

Loved Cloud Atlas. Can't wait for the DVD. But I can see why it's not everybody's thing.

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

We on DL talked about HB playing the Race Card that year. Many many threads about it. It was HER screaming about "racism" & "black people deserving it".

BTW, I love Moulin Rouge & NK performance in it. Does anyone ever see Monster Ball? No. People still love MR, people love JD. Brigid Jones Diary is also great even though I'm no fan of RZ, she killed it in that role, including her Brit accent.

HB - it's time for her to retire permanently to France, forever so we don't have to hear from her ever again.

What is sad is that there have been so many great black actresses BEFORE and SINCE that don't get their chance. I think HB freaked people in the academy out.

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

I'm over-due for a gross-out comedy, so I'll rent it.

AND I will love Halle Berry forever for saying that pretty people have problems, too.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

ISABELLE HUPPERT - THE PIANO TEACHER

by Anonymousreply 3302/02/2013

She played the race card non-stop that year. They gave it to Denzel and Berry just so they could stop hearing their self-professed victimization stories. Berry, not Denzel, did not get awarded on merit. She got awarded for being half black. This is the same woman who did a hit and run and was still only concerned about herself in the aftermath -- she had a tiny scar and was afraid how much damage that would do to her career. She cried racism to steal her kid away from its father. She's a mental case who plays mind games, and lies to get what she wants. She used race on more than one occasion and it got her an Oscar.

She gets flops because she has no talent which confirms her unworthiness of that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3402/02/2013

How come I have not seen any press for Movie 43? What does the title mean?

by Anonymousreply 3502/02/2013

R29 is a worn-out homo using worn-out phrases like, "She has issues".

The first time I heard it was in 1975.

by Anonymousreply 3602/02/2013

"They gave it to Denzel and Berry just so they could stop hearing their self-professed victimization stories."

As far as Denzel Washington winning that year, what you've posted, R34 is clear and utter bullshit. As I recall, he had not won any of the critics awards that year; it was Russell Crowe who was winning all of them for BEAUTIFUL MIND. As the award season progressed, RC's obnoxious side reared its ugly head. I believe he threatened a producer backstage after being cut off during his speech when he won the BBC Best Actor award. At the same time, it was Julia Roberts who gave an interview and lamented about the fact that it was a crime that DW had yet to win a Best Actor award (he already had a supporting one for GLORY) The voting went the way it did because many members did not like RC (whom had he won would have won a back-to-back Oscar as he had won the previous year for GLADIATOR) but did like and admire Denzel Washington's work.

Find and post a "self-possessed, victimization" interview from that year by Mr. Washington. That's not his style.

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2013

Well, R21, according to a white gay liberal ( again no such thing) we blacks love Halle and every other black celebrity on earth, while white people dislike them. And the fact that no white person on earth likes black celebrities is so painful for us that we must all work together to get this thread deleted.

by Anonymousreply 3902/02/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4002/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.